yardbarker

Ayon v. O'Quinn

Moderators: Devin 1L, eyriq, Hilltop, Howard Mass, damo[23], MagicMadness

Post#1 Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 am by akhenaten

Went to the game last night. It’s unbelievable how many bad plays Gustavo Ayon made, on both offense and defense. And they were all critical mistakes, usually leading to Hawks points. I can’t understand why Kyle O’Quinn isn’t playing over this stiff. O’Quinn has looked comfortable and NBA-ready in the minutes he’s been given, and he’s the team’s only true rebounder/shot-blocker. His rebound and block per minute numbers must be near the top for rookies. Jacque obviously likes Ayon’s game, but I don’t think we need 4 assists from the center position. We need 8 rebounds and 3 blocks. And we definitely don’t need 4 stupid unforced turnovers.
akhenaten
Junior
And1: 42

Post#2 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:19 am by Cigamodnalro

KOQ is a rookie. His minutes will come.

Oh also, Hennigan is keeping O'Quinn out of games to maintain his ridiculous PER so he'll look like a valuable throw-in to whatever JJ Redick trade we inevitably make.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#3 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:30 am by BadMofoPimp

Well, Ayon is an attractive expiring (team option) that is cheap $1.5 mil to be used in a future trade. So, they need to play him some minutes to showcase.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#4 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm by tiderulz

BadMofoPimp wrote:Well, Ayon is an attractive expiring (team option) that is cheap $1.5 mil to be used in a future trade. So, they need to play him some minutes to showcase.

this is the reason I think. Showcasing Ayon to hopefully get more in a trade with him seen more than just a throw-in for salary purposes, but a big that can contribute to a team needing one.
tiderulz

RealGM
And1: 1,508

Post#5 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:40 pm by Def Swami

tiderulz wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Well, Ayon is an attractive expiring (team option) that is cheap $1.5 mil to be used in a future trade. So, they need to play him some minutes to showcase.

this is the reason I think. Showcasing Ayon to hopefully get more in a trade with him seen more than just a throw-in for salary purposes, but a big that can contribute to a team needing one.

+1
Def Swami

RealGM
And1: 2,741

Post#6 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm by AdamTheGreek

Ayon's passing (worked well with Redick's creativity) was what helped the Magic come back and take the lead in the second half. Did Goose fumble the ball a lot and look horrid in the 2nd half? Oh yeah.

We all want Kyle to play, but that's not in the plans right now.

Goose's legs and feet not handling the NBA rigors well at all.
AdamTheGreek

RealGM
And1: 841

Post#7 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm by Rick Rolled

If we really are showcasing him, I don't see any teams knocking down our door to acquire him based on his play.

A team would need five big men to go down with season ending injuries to even consider this guy.

Outside of his very nice passing game, and occasional comic relief, there just isn't much there.

Which is annoying, considering how well he played in the preseason.
Rick Rolled

Lead Assistant
And1: 854

Post#8 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm by Zmill

For a big with terrible awareness when he is making a move toward the basket in an attempt to score, Gustavo's backdoor passes really catch me off guard and surprises me.
Realgm Orlando Magic Fantasy B League
Darren Collison/Greivis Vasquez/Randy Foye
Klay Thompson/Gerald Green
Josh Smith/Andre Iguodala/Aaron Gordon/Matt Barnes
LaMarcus Aldridge/Blake Griffin/Julius Randle
Marc Gasol/Nerlens Noel/Taj Gibson
Zmill

Analyst
And1: 720

Post#9 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm by BadMofoPimp

Rick Rolled wrote:If we really are showcasing him, I don't see any teams knocking down our door to acquire him based on his play.

We don't know what calls Henny has been getting on this guy. I would presume he would be packaged with someone if he is traded.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#10 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:30 pm by Rick Rolled

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:If we really are showcasing him, I don't see any teams knocking down our door to acquire him based on his play.

We don't know what calls Henny has been getting on this guy. I would presume he would be packaged with someone if he is traded.

Hopefully.
Rick Rolled

Lead Assistant
And1: 854

Post#11 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm by RookieStar

I was high on the guy before... but when i see him play i wanna get high
RookieStar

Lead Assistant
And1: 140

Post#12 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 pm by OrlandO

Trade bait... he's a big body, some team will want him included in a package that's centered around another player, hopefully Harrington or Turk... or both.
OrlandO
General Manager
And1: 2,785

Post#13 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:55 pm by The Real Dalic

I actually like him. The only guy I'm disappointed in is Ish. I thought he would be so much better then he's showed in his short time on the court. I guess it's because Duhon was THAT bad that Ish looked great in comparison.

I like Ayon's passing ability though, he can really find those cutters. I like O'Quinn's defense a lot, but I think for right now we need Ayon's passing more than O'Quinn's defense.

We've been a solid defensive team, we need as many easy baskets as we can get. But I honestly don't mind which one of these two gets the minutes, they're both solid IMO.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
The Real Dalic

RealGM
And1: 1,263

Post#14 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm by Big Boss

I used be angry with him but now that i'm almost convinced he's going to be on the trading block i'm not so concerned anymore. I really like Kyle though he brings the power and grit that some of our bigs are lacking, he has room to get better, bigger and stronger. He is strong already i remember him bullying Drummond in Summer League and he's 6'11 280! Drummond had like 30-40 pounds on him and i remember Kyle just pushing him around, He could be a good rotation player for us and i hope we keep him around

~I'm the only one that get the job done~
Big Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,254

Post#15 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:26 pm by MitchellUK

Zmill wrote:For a big with terrible awareness when he is making a move toward the basket in an attempt to score, Gustavo's backdoor passes really catch me off guard and surprises me.

This is rife with innuendo.
Magic Board A-League Fantasy Roster:

PG - J. Wall, DJ. Augustin, D. Harris
SG - T. Ariza, A. Burks, G. Vasquez
SF - T. Young, C. Parsons, A. Wiggins
PF - T. Thompson, Marcus Morris, K. O'Quinn
C - J. Noah, T. Chandler, S. Hawes
MitchellUK

General Manager
And1: 1,707

Post#16 Re: Ayon v. O'Quinn
Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 pm by akhenaten

I don't think "showcasing" of players happens as much as we assume. Could be wrong, but I don't think Jacque is getting told who to play, other than a general directive to make sure he develops the young talent and doesn't play all vets.
akhenaten
Junior
And1: 42

Return to Orlando Magic