ImageImageImageImage

Congratulations Vucevic!

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Re: Congratulations Vucevic! 

Post#41 » by RYgoBOOM » Wed Jan 2, 2013 2:05 pm

vucci killin it!!
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,546

Post#42 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 2:09 pm

Congratulations to him. I really like how he's improving and not intimidated by the opposing centers.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#43 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 3:12 pm

Can we please not go overboard here? He's good for what he is, and I'm happy he had a great game, but let's leave Dwight, Shaq, and the historical significance out of this. Vucevic is an above average center that we didn't expect anything from and now that he is beating expectations we have to pretend that 10/10 guys don't grow on trees.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,568

Post#44 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 2, 2013 3:58 pm

magicmamma wrote:
Magiclee wrote:I'm in Afghanistan so I haven't been able to see any games this season. Is this Vucevic guy as good as his numbers look in the box score? I feel like I haven't seen him talked about as much as the numbers say he should be. Is there some giant hole in his game that I can't see from the box score or is this guy legit?

Yes, he's that good. The Magic aren't a very good team, so no Magic player gets much attention. His skills are amazing, and I'm sure the Magic training staff will have him working on strength this summer.

He has solid fundamentals and does nothing flashy which is why you don't see many highlights. Seems almost like a complementary role player throughout the game who does small stuff that adds up. But, definite legit starting Center already in his second year. Has post moves and can shoot up to 20 feet outside very efficiently with soft hands and can pass as he doesn't force shots too much like many post players. His weakness is on the defensive side as he can be soft when pushed, but his length makes it hard for opposing players to shoot over or around him. Hasn't been foul prone either which is very nice. Shoots decently from the line. He doesn't take it to the rack hard but you can see that he will someday. Has good athleticism as he doesn't appear stiff and even guarded Lebron James a few times on the wing and forced Bron into tough shots! At this rate, I can see him as an All-Star by next season.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,038

Post#45 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:05 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:Can we please not go overboard here? He's good for what he is, and I'm happy he had a great game, but let's leave Dwight, Shaq, and the historical significance out of this. Vucevic is an above average center that we didn't expect anything from and now that he is beating expectations we have to pretend that 10/10 guys don't grow on trees.

Shame on us for getting excited about our talented and skilled young center.
aka: prorl
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#46 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:13 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:Can we please not go overboard here? He's good for what he is, and I'm happy he had a great game, but let's leave Dwight, Shaq, and the historical significance out of this. Vucevic is an above average center that we didn't expect anything from and now that he is beating expectations we have to pretend that 10/10 guys don't grow on trees.

There is a huge leap from young, talented, and skilled to being in the same conversation with Dwight Howard.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#47 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:07 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:I'd love to hear TheGlyde's take on the statistic

I love to hear anything at all from him.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
toofarjimmy
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#48 » by toofarjimmy » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:12 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

There is a huge leap from young, talented, and skilled to being in the same conversation with Dwight Howard.

There is no shame in being excited. But people are becoming over-excited. I am excited because I feel we got a very nice pice out of that trade. I am excited because he should improve further. I am excited because quality big men are hard to find. However, we are treating him as though he has a ceiling like Howard's as a young guy. The difference is this guy is already fundamentally sound. Apart from improving strength I don't think we'll see drastic improvement because fundamentals are what young guys learn to become better. If he becomes a 15 and 12 guy I'll be extremely happy, not because he'll be a star but because if we get one he will be a great piece to have around.
Give Henny a chance
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,107

Post#49 » by Def Swami » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:38 pm

FSMagic ‏@FSMagic
Nik Vucevic says @KingJames talked to him after the 20 pt, 29 rebound performance & said what a big game it was. Says that meant a lot.

Lebron making it hard for me to loathe the guy smh
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#50 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:50 pm

I think he can top out as a similar player to Al Horford. He doesn't have the ball-handling or court vision of Horford but he can be a better rebounder.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#51 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Jan 2, 2013 6:03 pm

I think it's perfectly fine to discuss the historical significance of his individual achievement, considering he surpassed two the the greatest centers of their generations in the Magic record book.

If Jameer, by some divine miracle, put up a 31 assist game, are we supposed to leave the historical significance out of it because 12/5 guys grow on trees?
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#52 » by OrlandO » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:26 pm

22 year old 7 footers putting up 10/10 in their first year as a starter in only 30 minutes don't grow on trees... There is A LOT to be excited about. Vuc has been an afterthought on offense for us... If we increased his minutes and actually used him consistently as an offensive weapon, he'd be more than a 10/10 guy. In 15 games where he's played 30-39 minutes, he's averaging 12.4pts, 11.5rebs, 2ast. In the 4 games where he's played 40+ minutes, he's averaging 17.3pts and 16.8rebs. We are not talking about a 30 year old. This kid is only going to get better with time/experience. He went from putting up 9.5/7.9 at 46% shooting in 28 minutes in November to putting up 12.1/12.8 at 54% shooting in 33 minutes in December. He's not Dwight, but he's underrated and worth way more than he's getting paid right now. Again, lots to be excited about.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#53 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:41 pm

Will Bynum racked up 20 assists in a game last year for the Pistons while still only being a 10mpg guy with many DNP's this year. Just saying.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHUeDFC5_w[/youtube]

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#54 » by OrlDave » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:55 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Will Bynum racked up 20 assists in a game last year for the Pistons while still only being a 10mpg guy with many DNP's this year. Just saying.

Will has had one 10 assist game all year. In 16 games in the month of December, Vucevic had 14 games with 9 or more rebounds including five games with 15 or more. Had this 29 rebound game been an isolated incident then your point might carry a bit more weight.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#55 » by OrlDave » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:58 pm

OrlandO wrote:22 year old 7 footers putting up 10/10 in their first year as a starter in only 30 minutes don't grow on trees... There is A LOT to be excited about. Vuc has been an afterthought on offense for us... If we increased his minutes and actually used him consistently as an offensive weapon, he'd be more than a 10/10 guy. In 15 games where he's played 30-39 minutes, he's averaging 12.4pts, 11.5rebs, 2ast. In the 4 games where he's played 40+ minutes, he's averaging 17.3pts and 16.8rebs. We are not talking about a 30 year old. This kid is only going to get better with time/experience. He went from putting up 9.5/7.9 at 46% shooting in 28 minutes in November to putting up 12.1/12.8 at 54% shooting in 33 minutes in December. He's not Dwight, but he's underrated and worth way more than he's getting paid right now. Again, lots to be excited about.

Pretty much everything you just said +1.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,038

Post#56 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jan 2, 2013 7:59 pm

OrlandO wrote:22 year old 7 footers putting up 10/10 in their first year as a starter in only 30 minutes don't grow on trees... There is A LOT to be excited about. Vuc has been an afterthought on offense for us... If we increased his minutes and actually used him consistently as an offensive weapon, he'd be more than a 10/10 guy. In 15 games where he's played 30-39 minutes, he's averaging 12.4pts, 11.5rebs, 2ast. In the 4 games where he's played 40+ minutes, he's averaging 17.3pts and 16.8rebs. We are not talking about a 30 year old. This kid is only going to get better with time/experience. He went from putting up 9.5/7.9 at 46% shooting in 28 minutes in November to putting up 12.1/12.8 at 54% shooting in 33 minutes in December. He's not Dwight, but he's underrated and worth way more than he's getting paid right now. Again, lots to be excited about.

:clap:
aka: prorl
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#57 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:18 pm

OrlDave wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Will Bynum racked up 20 assists in a game last year for the Pistons while still only being a 10mpg guy with many DNP's this year. Just saying.

Will has had one 10 assist game all year. In 16 games in the month of December, Vucevic had 14 games with 9 or more rebounds including five games with 15 or more. Had this 29 rebound game been an isolated incident then your point might carry a bit more weight.

I wasn't cracking on Vucevic as much as how fanbases over-rate their players. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I feel Vucevic will be an all-star next year.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#58 » by OrlDave » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:23 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

I wasn't cracking on Vucevic as much as how fanbases over-rate their players. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I feel Vucevic will be an all-star next year.

Gotcha. Harkless is probably a good example of that. He's got great athleticism, but it's really borderline on if he'll still be in the league in 3 years.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#59 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:25 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Gotcha. Harkless is probably a good example of that. He's got great athleticism, but it's really borderline on if he'll still be in the league in 3 years.

Hopefully, his situation is more a confidence thing and not having a defined role on the team with solid vets at a few other positions outside Center.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#60 » by OrlDave » Wed Jan 2, 2013 8:33 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Hopefully, his situation is more a confidence thing and not having a defined role on the team with solid vets at a few other positions outside Center.

Yeah, agreed. I'm certainly pulling for him, but his play has been underwhelming to this point. Although is defense has been decent in stretches.

Return to Orlando Magic