ImageImageImageImage

Ping Pong Ball Tracker

Moderators: Hilltop, damo[23], Devin 1L, Howard Mass, eyriq, MagicMadness

User avatar
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,390
And1: 252
Joined: Jul 10, 2012

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#16 » by RYgoBOOM » Thu Jan 3, 2013 8:23 pm

I still think Shabazz is worth this gamble...
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
User avatar
shadrock
Veteran
Posts: 2,558
And1: 864
Joined: Oct 16, 2009

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#17 » by shadrock » Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:01 am

trebone wrote:I honestly cant believe some of you wanting to lose game to maybe have a chance to at best grab a 2-3rd option a few years down the road, I would rather fight for a playoff spot and a mid 1st than end up with a Cody Zeller nolan, or shabazz who are not team changing talents


Stop reading chad ford articles and do some proper research on this draft, there is more star potential in this drsft than most think. Archie Goodwin should be our priority, the guy is a slasher on the level of Harden, Wade, etc...
User avatar
UCF
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 11,236
And1: 90
Joined: Aug 21, 2003
Location: Orlando, FL.
Contact:
       

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#18 » by UCF » Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:06 am

I love that our players are fighting hard to win games. However, looking long term it won't break my heart if we stay where we are at in the standings. A good draft pick and bringing back JJ would be great for next year.
User avatar
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
Posts: 12,371
And1: 63
Joined: Apr 10, 2006
Location: Political Asylum

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#19 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:12 am

UCF wrote:I love that our players are fighting hard to win games. However, looking long term it won't break my heart if we stay where we are at in the standings. A good draft pick and bringing back JJ would be great for next year.

So long as we trade Afflalo for future assets or young talent, I am totally on board with this.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
User avatar
Skin
Head Coach
Posts: 7,235
And1: 1,062
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#20 » by Skin » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:34 am

I think we should rename this thread to "The Marcus Smart Lottery Ping Pong Tracker"
Image
Playoffs, here we come!
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,260
And1: 3,859
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#21 » by thelead » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:24 am

Skin wrote:I think we should rename this thread to "The Marcus Smart Lottery Ping Pong Tracker"


I have been talking McLemore quite a bit but right now I think it's a coin flip between:

McLemore
Smart
Shabazz

Which leads me to believe JJ or Afflalo will be gone in the next two months.
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
User avatar
Skin
Head Coach
Posts: 7,235
And1: 1,062
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#22 » by Skin » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:00 am

thelead wrote:
Skin wrote:I think we should rename this thread to "The Marcus Smart Lottery Ping Pong Tracker"


I have been talking McLemore quite a bit but right now I think it's a coin flip between:

McLemore
Smart
Shabazz

Which leads me to believe JJ or Afflalo will be gone in the next two months.

I bet it's gonna be JJ... and I bet we have no shot at Shabazz. I don't really care either.
Image
Playoffs, here we come!
User avatar
shadrock
Veteran
Posts: 2,558
And1: 864
Joined: Oct 16, 2009

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#23 » by shadrock » Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:55 pm

thelead wrote:
Skin wrote:I think we should rename this thread to "The Marcus Smart Lottery Ping Pong Tracker"


I have been talking McLemore quite a bit but right now I think it's a coin flip between:

McLemore
Smart
Shabazz

Which leads me to believe JJ or Afflalo will be gone in the next two months.

Im starting to really like Archie Goodwin. He has the best superstar potential of any player in the draft. Top level slasher which is exactly what we need too!
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 20,476
And1: 605
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#24 » by drsd » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:14 pm

RYgoBOOM wrote:I still think Shabazz is worth this gamble...



If your argument is that GM Hennigan and Coach Vaughn should teach a culture of losing in case the lottery-gods are kind, and then in case Shabazz MIGHT be a good player, then, well, I STRONGLY DISAGREE.

:)


..
User avatar
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
Posts: 12,371
And1: 63
Joined: Apr 10, 2006
Location: Political Asylum

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#25 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:30 pm

drsd wrote:If your argument is that GM Hennigan and Coach Vaughn should teach a culture of losing in case the lottery-gods are kind, and then in case Shabazz MIGHT be a good player, then, well, I STRONGLY DISAGREE...


We currently have a 12-20 record, and are on pace to only win 18 more games all season. Would you say the culture that this team has thusfar exhibited is a "culture of losing?" I only mean to say that it is possible to lose more games than you win without cultivating or in any way endorsing that "culture of losing" that is so damning to NBA franchises. The Thunder achieved it for four consecutive years, essentially. I think, under JV and Hennigan's careful guidance, we are capable of doing something similar.

We've lost each of our last, what, seven games by very narrow margins. And we're really, really trying to win each and every night. That we have not been successful in that endeavor, however, has not necessarily changed the culture or the expectations of this team. And that's an absolutely wonderful way to go, in my opinion. Fight to win every game, come up short for lack of talent, and increase both your resolve and your draft odds through that process. Draft well, acquire talent, and suddenly those same games you fought for but lost before become games that you fight for and win now. You've positioned yourself well for the future, have garnered an appreciation and a hunger for victories, and have drastically improved your personnel and ultimately your odds of long-term success in the process.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
User avatar
shadrock
Veteran
Posts: 2,558
And1: 864
Joined: Oct 16, 2009

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#26 » by shadrock » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:05 am

Good start to the day, Toronto, Detroit, Cavs and Wiztards all winning...
User avatar
Horcy
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,303
And1: 10
Joined: Apr 27, 2006
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina - HORCAS RELOADED!!!

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#27 » by Horcy » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:41 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:
trebone wrote:I honestly cant believe some of you wanting to lose game to maybe have a chance to at best grab a 2-3rd option a few years down the road, I would rather fight for a playoff spot and a mid 1st than end up with a Cody Zeller nolan, or shabazz who are not team changing talents


Would finishing 37-45 and lucking into the 8th spot, losing to the Miami heat by a huge margin in four consecutive games, getting the 16th pick in the draft, and overplaying our 26-30 year old veterans at the expense of our youth to achieve that end really be preferable to the alternative? Especially when several of those veterans could have been turned into youth or picks themselves, potentially speeding up and improving our rebuild to a considerable degree?

I think Redick really is the best way to illustrate this. Rank these three options:

A) Trade JJ Redick for a pick that forecasts in the 10-15 range in the 2014 NBA Draft
B) Keep JJ Redick, then let him walk for nothing as a free agent.
C) Re-sign JJ Redick to a multiyear deal starting at $8,500,000 a season, rewarding him for being a fan favorite and an Orlando Magic icon....while simultaneously destroying future cap flexibility and resulting in a platoon of aging role-playing SGs making, combined, almost $17,000,000.

I like Redick, and like him a lot, but in my eyes (C) is by far the worst position for this team moving forward (with [A] the best). I'd rather lose Redick for nothing this offseason than sign him to a large contract with Afflalo already locked up at almost $8,000,000 a season. I honestly am not sure that Redick/Afflalo at $17,000,000 brings all that more to the table than the Bulls debilitating $15,500,000 Boozer deal. It's just not prudent when you're competing with teams who have guys like LeBron James signed for 12.x million a year fighting for the same prize. And if your goal is not to win a championship, then, well, we are very different sorts of fans.

In any given four year period, I'd rather lose horribly three times and win everything one time than eek into the playoffs all four seasons. And I am absolutely positive any GM who has ever actually won anything would agree. There is no harder position, as a sports fan, than putting all of your faith in a team that you know, with confidence, is good but not good enough. That's what we were with Dwight last season, and really the season before as well. Give me youth and hope and potential, ultimately culminating in something very special, over a string of consecutive playoff births (and series losses) any day of the week.


Wow, the best post of the year so far :wordyo:
Definitely man. Sad but true. We all like JJ but we can't give him a luxury contract to be a 6th man.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,260
And1: 3,859
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#28 » by thelead » Sun Jan 6, 2013 2:44 am

updated
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
User avatar
shadrock
Veteran
Posts: 2,558
And1: 864
Joined: Oct 16, 2009

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#29 » by shadrock » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:54 am

Wall scheduled to return in 2 weeks according to wiretap, hoping that means the wiz win more games!
Nyce_1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,623
And1: 1,001
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#30 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:27 pm

I was all for playing to win and make a push for the playoffs. We were close, and if healthy, would've been the 8th seed. However, with our recent losing streak and string of injuries, I'm full on board with the tank. I'm excited with every CLOSE loss (big blowouts piss me off cause this team is better than that) and will be watching more and more college games.

What's our ranking now?
User avatar
MrOrlando
Starter
Posts: 2,212
And1: 47
Joined: Oct 09, 2004
Location: Texas
     

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#31 » by MrOrlando » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:47 pm

Guys I'm not gonna lie to you, I kind of hoped Orlando would drop 12 straight, win two games, then drop 9 more in a row. I'm not evil, I just want a good pick in the lottery.
Image
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,260
And1: 3,859
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#32 » by thelead » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:03 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:I was all for playing to win and make a push for the playoffs. We were close, and if healthy, would've been the 8th seed. However, with our recent losing streak and string of injuries, I'm full on board with the tank. I'm excited with every CLOSE loss (big blowouts piss me off cause this team is better than that) and will be watching more and more college games.

What's our ranking now?


Tied for sixth still but watch New Orleans climb above us. They are 3-2 since Eric Gordon's return (with a win over the Spurs).
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,260
And1: 3,859
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#33 » by thelead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 am

Updated.

Took sole posesssion of 6th worst record tonight. The same night that my boy McLemore went for 33 points on TWELVE shots!

Image
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 20,476
And1: 605
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#34 » by drsd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 am

thelead wrote:Updated.

Took sole posesssion of 6th worst record tonight. The same night that my boy McLemore went for 33 points on TWELVE shots!



McLemore is up to #1 on some draft-projection sites. NBAdraft.net has Marcus Smart at #6. He is a classic bench player. Does the Magic really need to be drafting its bench? I think not.

..
Tarot Magician
Sophomore
Posts: 128
And1: 8
Joined: Jul 07, 2012

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#35 » by Tarot Magician » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 am

1991-1992: 17 game losing streak. With the 1st pick, Magic pick Shaq
2003-2004: 19 game losing streak. With the 1st pick, Magic pick Dwight

As cool as it would be to not dip down to those streaks, if third time's a charm...
Though none of the centers blow my mind.

Return to Orlando Magic