yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

Where does Vooch rank among all centers in the NBA?

Moderators: Howard Mass, MagicMadness, Hilltop, eyriq, Devin 1L, damo[23]

Post#21 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:17 pm by doct3r dr3

drsd wrote:By PER, Vučević is at #26.


Ṫḩâñḱ ẙòü.
Image
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
doct3r dr3

RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,470
And1: 624
Joined: Oct 20, 2004
Location: Nicholsonshine State
Top

Post#22 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:33 pm by SmiteaDwight

Interestingly enough, Dwight is putting up around the same stats, and a relatively less per as Andrew Bynum had last year and for years past. Imagine if the two had switched places, would Bynum currently be considered the best center in the league?
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#23 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:37 pm by SmiteaDwight

Bobby Ray wrote:Vuc is just scratching the surface of his potential man, He has a post game he can build off of. He has a jumper with nice range that can actually be extended to the 3pt line if he chooses to and coach may have alluded to. His frame can still fill out some so he has room to get stronger which in turn will only help his rebounding and help him get post position. Really the only weakness he has is that he's not really athletic but his length helps kinda offset that and you can't say he's a bad defender either because he's not. He can only get better and i'm glad we have him, i personally know some philly fans regretting not playing him and giving him up


I've heard the "he can add strength" argument before for Gortat and frankly, until they actually do it, I'am not convinced anything will happen.

Right now Vooch is simply Vooch.

A good player that won't take you places but won't fck you either.

unless we become good and resign him, we'll have to let him go because he'll be too expensive.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#24 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Sun Jan 6, 2013 12:00 am by ivDT

better than michael doleac, and doleac was a top 8 center.
aaron gordon: still better than that other guy you wanted to draft.
ivDT

RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 15,792
And1: 200
Joined: Jun 14, 2003
Location: smokyo
Top

Post#25 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:18 am by craig01

ivDT wrote:better than michael doleac, and doleac was a top 8 center.


I never considered Doleac a top 8 center, however.....

NV is way better, and Vucevic probably has more double digit rebound games in the early part of this season than Doleac had his entire career.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 20,144
And1: 165
Joined: Dec 24, 2005
Location: orlando
Top

Post#26 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Sun Jan 6, 2013 7:52 pm by onyxw

ivDT wrote:better than michael doleac, and doleac was a top 8 center.


:lol: Always good to see Magicjam/ozone jokes bridge to other message boards. Rumors are that Ron Mercer's girlfriend has a Louis Bullock autograph for anyone that can prove the top 8 comment false.
onyxw


Ballboy
Posts: 39
And1: 2
Joined: Apr 9, 2001
Top

Post#27 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:11 am by RookieStar

This thread is perfect for the Doleac <> Declerc battle
RookieStar

Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,840
And1: 111
Joined: Jul 1, 2009
Top

Post#28 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:07 pm by OMPunk

Image


Not even close
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 4,900
And1: 9
Joined: Jun 25, 2005
Location: Orlando Made
Top

Post#29 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:47 pm by GameOver25

SmiteaDwight wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:Vuc is just scratching the surface of his potential man, He has a post game he can build off of. He has a jumper with nice range that can actually be extended to the 3pt line if he chooses to and coach may have alluded to. His frame can still fill out some so he has room to get stronger which in turn will only help his rebounding and help him get post position. Really the only weakness he has is that he's not really athletic but his length helps kinda offset that and you can't say he's a bad defender either because he's not. He can only get better and i'm glad we have him, i personally know some philly fans regretting not playing him and giving him up


I've heard the "he can add strength" argument before for Gortat and frankly, until they actually do it, I'am not convinced anything will happen.

Right now Vooch is simply Vooch.

A good player that won't take you places but won't fck you either.

unless we become good and resign him, we'll have to let him go because he'll be too expensive.


This makes no sense. The point of rebuilding is to get better. You do that by keeping Vuc, who's still young and proving to be a solid big and trade your current assets (JJ, Baby, etc). I'm not understanding your last sentence.
Hilltop wrote:Jon Barry is the stain on the underwear of basketball analysis
GameOver25


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,673
And1: 479
Joined: Aug 27, 2009
Location: "VOO"
Top

Post#30 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Mon Jan 7, 2013 9:49 pm by magicman123

#2, right behind brooke lopez
Image
magicman123


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 25,580
And1: 362
Joined: Jan 13, 2007
Location: "THO"
Top

Post#31 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:23 am by SmiteaDwight

GameOver25 wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:Vuc is just scratching the surface of his potential man, He has a post game he can build off of. He has a jumper with nice range that can actually be extended to the 3pt line if he chooses to and coach may have alluded to. His frame can still fill out some so he has room to get stronger which in turn will only help his rebounding and help him get post position. Really the only weakness he has is that he's not really athletic but his length helps kinda offset that and you can't say he's a bad defender either because he's not. He can only get better and i'm glad we have him, i personally know some philly fans regretting not playing him and giving him up


I've heard the "he can add strength" argument before for Gortat and frankly, until they actually do it, I'am not convinced anything will happen.

Right now Vooch is simply Vooch.

A good player that won't take you places but won't fck you either.

unless we become good and resign him, we'll have to let him go because he'll be too expensive.


This makes no sense. The point of rebuilding is to get better. You do that by keeping Vuc, who's still young and proving to be a solid big and trade your current assets (JJ, Baby, etc). I'm not understanding your last sentence.


If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#32 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:29 am by Vuc N Pek

Even though i am from Montenegro , i would say he is still away from top10 centers in NBA but since he is only 22, but he has all things and skills to become one of them in the future.I used to go in same school as him he looked like a giant to me even though i was 2nd tallest guy(i am now 194cm tall not quite sure how u measure that because we use metric system)

Funny thing is that Pekovic and Vucevic both were sidelined by their coaches and they believed they would never made even decent career, mostly because our coaches like giving more attention to PG/SG(i am talking about coaching youngsters) which mostly turned out to be flops and currently Montenegro despite having population of 650k have top 3 frontcourt in Europe thanks to them and few other young guys which have huge potential such as Bojan Dubljevic which is our stretch 4 with European Kevin Love potential.Nikola Mirotic which is drafted by Bulls is also Montenegrin(playing for Real Madrid) but with Spanish passport(there is a lot of drama will FIBA allow Spain to keep both him and Ibaka if they dont allow that Mirotic will probably play for us).Even w/o Vooch and Pek Montenegro managed to finish undefeated in our group topping Israel and Serbia on Eurobasket 2013 qualification.

After seeing him getting drafted by Philly and playing decent for minutes he got, i was glad he ended up in team like Orlando because i knew he would get more minutes and real chance after Howard departure.I am also amazed how much he improved his game since last time i saw him playing during NBA lockout which probably have something to do with Magic bigs coaches which certainly helped him grow into legit starting center and double-double machine.What i am hoping right now is that he definitely need to improve his defensive game because even for me he look soft sometimes.

I hope i made my points about him clear and understandable,not quite sure about my english skills but i tried to make it sound as simple i could.
Vuc N Pek

Junior
Posts: 263
And1: 76
Joined: Jan 6, 2013
Location: Montenegro
Top

Post#33 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:25 pm by GameOver25

SmiteaDwight wrote:
GameOver25 wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:
I've heard the "he can add strength" argument before for Gortat and frankly, until they actually do it, I'am not convinced anything will happen.

Right now Vooch is simply Vooch.

A good player that won't take you places but won't fck you either.

unless we become good and resign him, we'll have to let him go because he'll be too expensive.


This makes no sense. The point of rebuilding is to get better. You do that by keeping Vuc, who's still young and proving to be a solid big and trade your current assets (JJ, Baby, etc). I'm not understanding your last sentence.


If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?


Honestly I think it's too early to tell. I can't answer that right now. I think we need to see how the rebuild process goes first.
Hilltop wrote:Jon Barry is the stain on the underwear of basketball analysis
GameOver25


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,673
And1: 479
Joined: Aug 27, 2009
Location: "VOO"
Top

Post#34 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:04 pm by OrlDave

Vuc N Pek wrote:Even though i am from Montenegro , i would say he is still away from top10 centers in NBA but since he is only 22, but he has all things and skills to become one of them in the future.I used to go in same school as him he looked like a giant to me even though i was 2nd tallest guy(i am now 194cm tall not quite sure how u measure that because we use metric system)

Funny thing is that Pekovic and Vucevic both were sidelined by their coaches and they believed they would never made even decent career, mostly because our coaches like giving more attention to PG/SG(i am talking about coaching youngsters) which mostly turned out to be flops and currently Montenegro despite having population of 650k have top 3 frontcourt in Europe thanks to them and few other young guys which have huge potential such as Bojan Dubljevic which is our stretch 4 with European Kevin Love potential.Nikola Mirotic which is drafted by Bulls is also Montenegrin(playing for Real Madrid) but with Spanish passport(there is a lot of drama will FIBA allow Spain to keep both him and Ibaka if they dont allow that Mirotic will probably play for us).Even w/o Vooch and Pek Montenegro managed to finish undefeated in our group topping Israel and Serbia on Eurobasket 2013 qualification.

After seeing him getting drafted by Philly and playing decent for minutes he got, i was glad he ended up in team like Orlando because i knew he would get more minutes and real chance after Howard departure.I am also amazed how much he improved his game since last time i saw him playing during NBA lockout which probably have something to do with Magic bigs coaches which certainly helped him grow into legit starting center and double-double machine.What i am hoping right now is that he definitely need to improve his defensive game because even for me he look soft sometimes.

I hope i made my points about him clear and understandable,not quite sure about my english skills but i tried to make it sound as simple i could.


Nice post. I understood most of it. (194 cm is about 6 foot 4 according to google). Thanks for the input. :)
OrlDave




Starter
User avatar
Posts: 2,415
And1: 357
Joined: May 4, 2003
Top

Post#35 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Wed Jan 9, 2013 3:16 pm by RickB-Orlando

SmiteaDwight wrote:If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?


Yes, yes I do. That's exactly the idea of getting young talent - you develop them and lock them in long term so you can build around them and win.

What strategy are you suggesting, develop one piece at a time but keep none of them because they aren't good enough to win a title all by themselves?

Building a team is a process, you add pieces and in time hope they develop and meld as you add more pieces. You don't throw away the good ones just because they're only the first piece.
RickB-Orlando
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,936
And1: 108
Joined: Apr 30, 2008
Top

Post#36 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:03 pm by SmiteaDwight

RickB-Orlando wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?


Yes, yes I do. That's exactly the idea of getting young talent - you develop them and lock them in long term so you can build around them and win.

What strategy are you suggesting, develop one piece at a time but keep none of them because they aren't good enough to win a title all by themselves?

Building a team is a process, you add pieces and in time hope they develop and meld as you add more pieces. You don't throw away the good ones just because they're only the first piece.


I'm just saying unless we can get other good pieces to put around him, paying him 8 figs isnt going to solve anything. That's the same predicament Cleveland is currently in with Anderson Varejao. I'm more for playing moneyball and find as many small contracts as we can until we're sure we have some guys who can develop into players. Right now we don't have that. I'm not encouraged by Hark or Nicholson.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#37 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:55 pm by SmiteaDwight

SmiteaDwight wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?


Yes, yes I do. That's exactly the idea of getting young talent - you develop them and lock them in long term so you can build around them and win.

What strategy are you suggesting, develop one piece at a time but keep none of them because they aren't good enough to win a title all by themselves?

Building a team is a process, you add pieces and in time hope they develop and meld as you add more pieces. You don't throw away the good ones just because they're only the first piece.


I'm just saying unless we can get other good pieces to put around him, paying him 8 figs isnt going to solve anything. That's the same predicament Cleveland is currently in with Anderson Varejao. I'm more for playing moneyball and find as many small contracts as we can until we're sure we have some guys who can develop into players. Right now we don't have that. I'm not encouraged by Hark or Nicholson.


We honestly just did this with Ryno lol.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#38 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:21 pm by AhaAha

AhaAha
Junior
Posts: 409
And1: 15
Joined: Dec 10, 2010
Top

Post#39 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:14 pm by Big Boss

The rumor out there is that everyone but Vucevic is on the table for trades, that's how much the front office likes the guy so whether we want to pay him the big bucks or not he's in the future plans for now that is
Image

~Like Mr. Hanky in a Snowstorm it's going to be the coldest sh t you've ever seen~
Big Boss
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,058
And1: 978
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
Top

Post#40 Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers i
Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 am by drsd

AhaAha wrote:http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47035/why-nikola-vucevic-could-be-the-next-marc-gasol

Nice article about Vuc.



A Marc Gasol comparison seems appropriate.

A note: Vučević now has 16 straight games with 9 or more rebounds.



..
drsd



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 19,479
And1: 249
Joined: Mar 15, 2003
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Orlando Magic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4real, Magic_Time, zuppafly