ImageImageImageImage

So Rudy Gay is available... We interested? Trade scenarios?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SEBAS-07
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Re: So Rudy Gay is available... We interested? Trade scenar 

Post#21 » by SEBAS-07 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:29 pm

Bensational wrote:Gay may not be worth the contract, but there aren't many other options out there via free agency or this year's draft. Who do people plan on pursuing if not him?

No one, ride it out till the 2014 draft. The only deal I would consider is Hedo and Al Harrignton for Rudy Gay; Mcroberts could also be involved.
Smart / Micic / D. Wright
Wiggins / Exum / J. Adams
Parker / K. Anderson / Mcdermott
Randle / Vonleh / Stokes
Embiid / Nurkic/ Tavares
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#22 » by RickB-Orlando » Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:35 pm

Ballah wrote:
Yab wrote:We haven't had a player that could create his own shot in a lonnnnnnnnnnng time. I'd gladly trade anyone not named Nicholson or Vucevic

Why? what good does that do us? We are not going to be contenders until we have a star, Rudy Gay is not a star. The Lotto is the only way back towards legitimacy, getting an all star caliber player now would be completely pointless.

Why trade for Rudy Gay? You have to start with one piece - who is better than Gay that is available, or likely to be available in the next few years? The Lottery is not the only way back to legitimacy; there are also three other routes: trades, player development, and free agency.

Adding Gay to a core with some potential that includes Vucevic and Afflalo plus the development of Harkless or Nicholson as starting pieces would be a pretty good start.
Ballah
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#23 » by Ballah » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:21 pm

The only way back to contention is with a super star, and taking ourselves out of the lotto with Gay removes the most reliable source of super stars. Adding Gay just puts us in the path to mediocrity with no way other than free agency to improve, that is the last place we want to be.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#24 » by magicman123 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:23 pm

lets see

A. We trade players and prospects
B. trade draft pick(s)
C. Pay Gay $20mil a year?
D. For a player producing like Afflalo?
E. For a Player that takes 17 shots just to score 18pts?

Don't see how its worth it, unless he comes dirt cheap
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,010

Post#25 » by Driguez » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:03 pm

JF5 wrote:No...

Still a rebuilding team... Get rebuilding pieces

Common sense is frowned upon in this establishment buddy. :nonono:
"We all we got"- SVG
Ballah
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#26 » by Ballah » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:06 pm

There are only two things we need to be trading for right now, picks and young prospects. Forget about getting all stars and overpaid players, unless we are being paid with picks and young prospects to take them.
sublime12089
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#27 » by sublime12089 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:25 pm

Not at all. No interest in being a first round playoff team for the foreseeable future. Also, I doubt our GM values Gay very highly based on his lack of efficiency.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#28 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:59 pm

Ballah wrote:There are only two things we need to be trading for right now, picks and young prospects. Forget about getting all stars and overpaid players, unless we are being paid with picks and young prospects to take them.

From RealGM Trade Forum:

zmad wrote:URL: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=amwph9w

ORLANDO
In: Ross
Out: Afflalo

Why? Save lots of salary and get a SG from the lotto with great potential for the re-build

MEMPHIS
In: Calderon, Afflalo
Out: Gay, Wroten

Why? Get out of the tax, and don't miss a beat with Afflalo while also adding a great backup for Conley for the rest of the season and the playoffs

TORONTO
In: Gay, Wroten
Out: Calderon, Ross

Why? Get the SF they need that fits in age-wise with their core (Gay is same age as Lowry)

What are your thoughts? I can't see why any of these teams wouldn't do this...if you disagree, let me know why.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#29 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:00 pm

^^ I like the above even better with Redick instead of Afflalo, but if we have locked up a young, talented SG on a rookie contract in Ross, it makes re-signing Redick to a 8m+ deal (for 3ish years) much easier to swallow.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#30 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:09 pm

SEBAS-07 wrote:
Bensational wrote:Gay may not be worth the contract, but there aren't many other options out there via free agency or this year's draft. Who do people plan on pursuing if not him?

No one, ride it out till the 2014 draft. The only deal I would consider is Hedo and Al Harrignton for Rudy Gay; Mcroberts could also be involved.

ride it out for a ticket in a lottery for a bunch of players who are just as much of a gamble?

people get hung up about the potential of landing a true star, but the odds are heavily against you landing one via the draft.

i don't care if it's Rudy we go for or not (although, i'm a big fan of his game), i just want a player on this team i can get excited about. i couldn't stand watching this team for another season if Vucevic is going to continue to be the only bright spot.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#31 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:47 pm

magicman123 wrote:lets see

A. We trade players and prospects
B. trade draft pick(s)
C. Pay Gay $20mil a year?
D. For a player producing like Afflalo?
E. For a Player that takes 17 shots just to score 18pts?

Don't see how its worth it, unless he comes dirt cheap

Rudy's performance this year is down on his averages for the past 5 years. his career numbers are significantly higher. i don't think he's suddenly on the downside of his career at 26.

Rudy isn't taking as many attempts inside because ZBo is back, which clutters the interior. Last season, Rudy was a leading scorer in the paint amongst SFs, ranking 4th in FGAs in the paint, hitting over 60% of those, and being assisted on less than 50%. Those are the kinds of numbers you see from LeBron, Durant and Carmello - guys who can legitimately create their own offense well enough to carry a team.

Ultimately, the biggest reason I don't think we target Gay is because he has the player option for 2014/15, and right now, the 2014 summer seems to be what we're gearing ourselves towards, given that all contracts seem to be ending then. If Hennigan has something planned, I doubt he would want to jeopardize that on whether or not Gay picks up his $20M option.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#32 » by Viper1500 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 11:58 pm

This would definitely be an Otis move

Hennigan seems to be planning more for the future and less about the present. Highly doubt he pulls the trigger on this
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#33 » by SmiteaDwight » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:53 am

If ALL we want to do is make the playoffs this year, i'd say do it, but players who hog the ball like Gay and take bad shots while not being a great passer can hurt the development of young teams. Gay's per is low, but as we are currently seeing in LA, the presence of others stars not only hurts one's overall production but it hurts one's individual efficiency, or per if you want. He would be one of the best sfs in the east.

Not to mention he mails it in on defense.

ehh, it would put people in the seats tho.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#34 » by RickB-Orlando » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:18 am

Bensational wrote:
SEBAS-07 wrote:

ride it out for a ticket in a lottery for a bunch of players who are just as much of a gamble?

people get hung up about the potential of landing a true star, but the odds are heavily against you landing one via the draft.

i don't care if it's Rudy we go for or not (although, i'm a big fan of his game), i just want a player on this team i can get excited about. i couldn't stand watching this team for another season if Vucevic is going to continue to be the only bright spot.

I'm glad someone else said what I was thinking. Sucking for two years and gambling on hitting a top lottery pick that may or may not translate into an NBA player is not a strategy for winning. Trading for a young player hitting their prime that can score on their own, improve the team around them, and add to the building blocks that are already in place? That's a strategy I can get behind.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#35 » by Viper1500 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:16 am

Like someone said, if it involves Hedo and Harrington and maybe throwing in some of those picks from the Howard trade, sure. But I personally am not willing to give up anything of value for borderline all stars who are making max money, which means our only hope will be by drafting and or trading to improve in the future. And this team would obviously be to good to draft all star talent. It's quite obvious to me that this is not the time to trade for mediocre all stars who will hold you back financially
MostValuableGM
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#36 » by MostValuableGM » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:38 pm

ORLANDO MAGIC Basketball
MostValuableGM
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by MostValuableGM » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:40 pm

JJ is almost as good as gone guys - lets be real - he's going to b a FA and the Magic aren't going to be the HIGHEST bidders - so lets send him to a playoff team - do him right - and lets take advantage of our best bargain piece
ORLANDO MAGIC Basketball
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#38 » by tiderulz » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:45 pm

MostValuableGM wrote:JJ is almost as good as gone guys - lets be real - he's going to b a FA and the Magic aren't going to be the HIGHEST bidders - so lets send him to a playoff team - do him right - and lets take advantage of our best bargain piece

why do you believe so, when JJ has come out and said he wants to stay? Henny has already given a higher than normal contract to reward the loyalty of 1 player.

Not saying JJ shouldnt be traded, but it isnt a guarantee that he is gone.
MostValuableGM
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by MostValuableGM » Tue Jan 8, 2013 5:48 pm

Teams like Chaicago will make the price HIGH
You think JJ will seek short for a rebuilding process? I understand he is loyal but we have to get a STAR caliber player to have a chance - Gay with Vicciemane is a solid foundation
ORLANDO MAGIC Basketball
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:11 pm

MostValuableGM wrote:Teams like Chaicago will make the price HIGH
You think JJ will seek short for a rebuilding process? I understand he is loyal but we have to get a STAR caliber player to have a chance - Gay with Vicciemane is a solid foundation

How does Chicago pay that high price? Unless they can move Boozer or Deng, they won't have any cap space. And, without Deng this team would be going nowhere. Also, Boozer is playing well while Taj Gibson still appears to be a bench player.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic