ImageImageImageImage

Redick receiving interest from teams

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Re: Redick receiving interest from teams 

Post#61 » by magicman123 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Tmac was what, 20 when we gave him that contract? you can purely see the talent he had, and he wasn't a PG, 2 different players...Jennings is not a great player, he will not make your team that much better and he will not take us to the next level, if we had jennings we might go backwards, hes a solid player, but hes no star
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#62 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:42 pm

So Bulls fans on the trade board are adamant that a future 1st and Marquis Teague is severely overpaying for JJ Redick. They (well, a few of them anyway) maintain that Redick is no better than Marco Belinelli, who comes at 1/3 of the price. Redick, they believe, will be freely available for the MLE or less this offseason if they want him, and their counter offer was something in the vicinity of Rip Hamilton and a 2nd round pick.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1225930
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach
And1: 172

Post#63 » by arkknight1988 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:28 pm

i'd consider tony wroten and an unprotected 2014 1st from Memphis.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#64 » by tiderulz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:So Bulls fans on the trade board are adamant that a future 1st and Marquis Teague is severely overpaying for JJ Redick. They (well, a few of them anyway) maintain that Redick is no better than Marco Belinelli, who comes at 1/3 of the price. Redick, they believe, will be freely available for the MLE or less this offseason if they want him, and their counter offer was something in the vicinity of Rip Hamilton and a 2nd round pick.

didnt they try and get him before and failed? wonder why they think they can get him now. And i dont think they would have the cap space to go get him
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,644

Post#65 » by Howard Mass » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Chicago signed him to an offer sheet a few years ago but The Magic matched.

I would love to keep J.J. but do not think The Magic are going to pay him with Afflalo already on the books.

If they are going to move him, get the best deal but I doubt The Magic would get Jennings.

In any deal, The Magic want the following in this order. Youth preferably on a rookie deal, picks and move Turkoglu and/or Harrington's contract in a deal.

If Redick is dealt, The Magic will get a nice return although it will hurt to lose such a beloved player.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#66 » by RickB-Orlando » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:40 pm

drsd wrote:
AddiFB wrote:Brandon Jennings has never and will never, be in the same category as Tracy McGrady. NEVER

To the doubters. Recall that Orlando gave McGrady a Max deal from these numbers:
97-98: 7/1/4
98-99: 9/2/6
99-00: 15/3/6

That is it. That was a maximum deal worth stat line.

Jennings has a legitimate chance to be the 2nd or 3rd best PG of his generation (depending on Williams). Or he might flame. But the point is that Jennings is nearly certain to get a max deal based on perception.

EDIT:
Back to my point; Redick and PLUS for Jennigs and crap contracts is not something GM Hennigan could ignore.

I guess it bears saying that max deals are often based on observation of a player as well as interviews and projections, not just on stat lines. There are many, many players that have similar stats their first three seasons that never reach Tracy McGrady's talent level.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#67 » by NickAnderson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm

My god Jennings is so damn overrated.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#68 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Chicago already put a price on Redick and we're paying it. He's better than he was when they were willing to pay him 6 or 7 mil a season.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#69 » by Catledge » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

^^^ No kidding. Redick has basically grown on the most optimistic growth curve that could realistically have been imagined before he signed that contract. If they were willing to pay that much for him because he MIGHT turn out to be this good,then why wouldn't they be willing to pay it again now that we KNOW he is that good?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#70 » by Def Swami » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:So Bulls fans on the trade board are adamant that a future 1st and Marquis Teague is severely overpaying for JJ Redick. They (well, a few of them anyway) maintain that Redick is no better than Marco Belinelli, who comes at 1/3 of the price. Redick, they believe, will be freely available for the MLE or less this offseason if they want him, and their counter offer was something in the vicinity of Rip Hamilton and a 2nd round pick.

Some of those guys don't even know how much their own front office regards JJ.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,739

Post#71 » by ChosenSavior » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:31 pm

NickAnderson wrote:My god Jennings is so damn overrated.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#72 » by tiderulz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Catledge wrote:^^^ No kidding. Redick has basically grown on the most optimistic growth curve that could realistically have been imagined before he signed that contract. If they were willing to pay that much for him because he MIGHT turn out to be this good,then why wouldn't they be willing to pay it again now that we KNOW he is that good?

I know he is the fan favorite, but people are talking like he is an all-star. He is still below average defensively and an outside shooter only, he cannot drive the basket against the better SG's out there. His growth has gotten him to be about what people thought he should be out of college.
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#73 » by magicfan217 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 am

I disagree that Redick is below average defensively....he USED to be, but now he's one of our better perimeter defenders.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#74 » by fendilim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:28 am

Catledge wrote:^^^ No kidding. Redick has basically grown on the most optimistic growth curve that could realistically have been imagined before he signed that contract. If they were willing to pay that much for him because he MIGHT turn out to be this good,then why wouldn't they be willing to pay it again now that we KNOW he is that good?

Because They have no gurantees Redick would re-sign being an UFA this offseason.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#75 » by Catledge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 am

tiderulz wrote:

I know he is the fan favorite, but people are talking like he is an all-star. He is still below average defensively and an outside shooter only, he cannot drive the basket against the better SG's out there. His growth has gotten him to be about what people thought he should be out of college.

It has nothing to do with him being a fan favorite. We have overwhelming evidence that Chicago valued JJ as above the MLE a few years ago. Now he is significantly better than he was when he was offered that contract. Therefore, it's safe to assume that Chicago, and probably other teams, would be willing to offer JJ more than the MLE now. This drives his trade value up, as Chicago can't offer more than the MLE this offseason and therefore can only acquire him by trade.
ReadyOrlando
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#76 » by ReadyOrlando » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 am

JJ may not be an All Star, but he is the epitome of what we want out of our youngs, and the culture of what we're building. I would not trade him.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:30 am

Catledge wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

It has nothing to do with him being a fan favorite. We have overwhelming evidence that Chicago valued JJ as above the MLE a few years ago. Now he is significantly better than he was when he was offered that contract. Therefore, it's safe to assume that Chicago, and probably other teams, would be willing to offer JJ more than the MLE now. This drives his trade value up, as Chicago can't offer more than the MLE this offseason and therefore can only acquire him by trade.

this of course assumes they have cap space to offer more than the MLE, and the inclination to spend that cap space on Redick.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 am

4real wrote:JJ may not be an All Star, but he is the epitome of what we want out of our youngs, and the culture of what we're building. I would not trade him.

I tend to agree with this. He's a solid if not spectacular player with all the intangibles that Hennigan has talked bout with regard to team culture. I won't be surprised if he's traded, but I certainly won't be surprised if he is here for many more years as well.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#79 » by tiderulz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 am

Catledge wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

ok, this i can agree to.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#80 » by drsd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 am

Catledge wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Chicago is a natural location as Redick's game is a perfect compliment to Rose's. Also, Orlando can absorb Boozer's deal with the TPE (and Boozer is the only guy at such a bloated contract that fits this TPE). For Redick and the TPE, and absorbing Boozer's-bad deal, Orlando certainly would want Teague and a punch of draft picks (3?). Jimmy Butler might need to be thrown in as well. And even that might not be enough for Orlando to swallow so much salary.

Return to Orlando Magic