ImageImageImageImage

Redick receiving interest from teams

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Re: Redick receiving interest from teams 

Post#41 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 am

What about Redick?

Sources say the Wolves are big fans of Orlando's J.J. Redick.

An unrestricted free agent this summer, the indication is he's going somewhere. The Wolves are the worst 3-point shooting team in the NBA, so Redick is an obvious fit.

It'd take forward Derrick Williams, plus a future first-round pick just to get into the discussion. There will be plenty of teams after Redick.

The best bet is that Kahn does something, but it may not be until the week, or even the day of the deadline.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_ ... ades010313
Bigmagicfan82
Starter

Post#42 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 am

An older report:

JJ Redick Available?

According to FOX Sports Ohio’s Sam Amico, the Orlando Magic were reportedly interested in trading away JJ Redick before the February deadline passes.

Comcast’s Ric Bucher followed up on this story and found that there isn’t any sense of urgency to deal the three-point sniper inside the Magic’s front office.

Orlando is currently 11-13 and right in the middle of the pack of the Eastern Conference, and there isn’t a real pressing need to deal an efficient shooter like Redick unless they fall out of contention.

Assuming the team does slip out of the mix, the Worldwide Leader’s source found they’ll be looking for an upcoming player or draft picks.

Chicago, Memphis, Minnesota, Milwaukee and Utah are all reportedly (as per Bucher) likely to express interest in acquiring the former Duke star and a bidding war could heat up in the coming months.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1449 ... trade-buzz
Bigmagicfan82
Starter

Post#43 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 am

I wonder if we could get Jennings for Redick?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#44 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Bigmagicfan82 wrote:I wonder if we could get Jennings for Redick?

Orlando would need to commit to an eventual max deal, and if the Bucks are to blow up their roster, then a salary dump would be part of this. Jennings and Drew Gooden for Nelson, Redick, McRoberts, and the 3 picks from the Howard deal might get this done. And this is a really interesting idea for the Magic.

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#45 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Ew, Jennings and Drew Gooden? Blech.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
drsd
RealGM

Post#46 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:Ew, Jennings and Drew Gooden? Blech.

The last time Orlando made a chance on a Jenning's-type, he evolved into the NBA leading scorer. As for Gooden, that is a price-of-admission; I can see Orlando waiving him straight out.

Jenning is a boom or bust Max guy. He will either lead a team to a title or to 10 years of the dog-house. But was T-mac any different???

Jennings/Afflalo/Harkless/Nicholson/Vučević is a starting five that could win a title in 2-to-4 year's time. (or it could suck). GM Hennigan will eventually need to take a risk, and I see this as an interesting one.

NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#47 » by NickAnderson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 pm

drsd wrote:Jennings/Afflalo/Harkless/Nicholson/Vučević is a starting five that could win a title in 2-to-4 year's time.

Pure gold here.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#48 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm

You're seriously comparing one of the most talented and gifted players of the last 2 decades or more (no, he didn't live up to his potential) to Brandon Jennings? Wow.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
ReadyOrlando
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#49 » by ReadyOrlando » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 pm

JJ is the best player on our team. IMO we keep him and the young ones, and trade any body else.
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,505

Post#50 » by AddiFB » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Brandon Jennings has never and will never, be in the same category as Tracy McGrady. NEVER. He just isn't the same type of talent. Chucker is all he is.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
drsd
RealGM

Post#51 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 pm

AddiFB wrote:Brandon Jennings has never and will never, be in the same category as Tracy McGrady. NEVER

To the doubters. Recall that Orlando gave McGrady a Max deal from these numbers:
97-98: 7/1/4
98-99: 9/2/6
99-00: 15/3/6

That is it. That was a maximum deal worth stat line.

Jennings has a legitimate chance to be the 2nd or 3rd best PG of his generation (depending on Williams). Or he might flame. But the point is that Jennings is nearly certain to get a max deal based on perception.

EDIT:
Back to my point; Redick and PLUS for Jennigs and crap contracts is not something GM Hennigan could ignore.

Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#52 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Numbers do not a good player make. Even Mike James can put up big numbers given enough FGA. Brandon Jennings is an erratic shooter with and inflated self-opinion and next to no offensive discipline who is lucky enough to man a position where he gets the ball in his hands during every-single-possession. He is a ball dominant point guard who would rather shoot than pass, and who is not especially good (in fact, he's especially bad--the guy has a .395 career FG%) at making the shots that he takes. He's far more Steve Francis (or even Gilbert Arenas) than he is Tracy McGrady.

Jennings could evolve into a star point guard on a team surrounded by disciplined veterans like San Antonio or the Heat and under the tutelage of a coach who would hold him responsible and who would garner his respect. I don't foreclose that possibility. I wouldn't trust him for a second as floor general for a rebuilding team or a rookie coach though. Jennings would go, well, Brandon Jennings on that ****. Scott Skiles, a renowned hardass, couldn't even begin to rope the guy in. I like JV as a coach, but he's not going to be the guy to convince Brandon Jennings' ego to play within a system for the first time in his life.
drsd
RealGM

Post#53 » by drsd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:Numbers do not a good player make. Even Mike James can put up big numbers given enough FGA. Brandon Jennings is an erratic shooter with and inflated self-opinion and next to no offensive discipline who is lucky enough to man a position where he gets the ball in his hands during every-single-possession. He is a ball dominant point guard who would rather shoot than pass, and who is not especially good (in fact, he's especially bad--the guy has a .395 career FG%) at making the shots that he takes. He's far more Steve Francis (or even Gilbert Arenas) than he is Tracy McGrady.

Jennings could evolve into a star point guard on a team surrounded by disciplined veterans like San Antonio or the Heat and under the tutelage of a coach who would hold him responsible and who would garner his respect. I don't foreclose that possibility. I wouldn't trust him for a second as floor general for a rebuilding team or a rookie coach though. Jennings would go, well, Brandon Jennings on that ****. Scott Skiles, a renowned hardass, couldn't even begin to rope the guy in. I like JV as a coach, but he's not going to be the guy to convince Brandon Jennings' ego to play within a system for the first time in his life.

This nicely outlines the "bust" overview of Jennigs. And I agree with everything you wrote. But .....

Orlando needs a new starting PG. Who that is is a mystery to all of us.

I guess, in GM Hennigan we trust.

What else can the fan hope for given the total absence of draft-able PGs in the coming draft???

Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#54 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:18 pm

There is a lot I don't love about Jameer Nelson, but the guy is reliable, is a natural leader, and typically plays within the confines of his game. Brandon Jennings is none of those things. You are right, though, he could explode on the league. He does have that potential in him. I just don't trust him for this rebuilding team. I'd rather take a chance on a high intangible PG like Marcus Smart (or even Marquis Teague) than "risk it" on Jennings. If you want a high-risk-high-reward investment, I'd bet on Tyreke Evans before I would Jennings. At least Evans has shown a desire to be part of something, collectively, rather than a swaggerific basketball icon at the expense of his team.

MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#55 » by MrOrlando » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:19 pm

I really liked the suggestion of (if we had to) trading Redick for Lamb and Dallas' First Rounder (which currently sits at the #8 spot). We get a nice young player (Jeremy Lamb), one we had hoped to land during the Dwight Howard fiasco when he was rumored to go to Houston and an early first round draft pick. We'll be able to add to our core and start building towards the future. Great deal in my opinion, even if Hedo or Harrington aren't tacked on.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#56 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 pm

MrOrlando wrote:I really liked the suggestion of (if we had to) trading Redick for Lamb and Dallas' First Rounder (which currently sits at the #8 spot). We get a nice young player (Jeremy Lamb), one we had hoped to land during the Dwight Howard fiasco when he was rumored to go to Houston and an early first round draft pick. We'll be able to add to our core and start building towards the future. Great deal in my opinion, even if Hedo or Harrington aren't tacked on.

If OKC would trade Lamb and the Dallas pick, I'd jump on it. I do think Redick's value is such that we can get a prospect and a pick for him at this point--and especially if teams start bidding against each other. I suggested on the Trade board something built around Marquis Teague and the Bulls' 2014 pick. That's not the value that Lamb and the Dallas pick is, but I'd be amenable to either one. Less keen on Derrick Williams, but even there, the Wolves' pick (likely 10-15 range) has to be attractive to us moving forward.
MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#57 » by MrOrlando » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:
MrOrlando wrote:I really liked the suggestion of (if we had to) trading Redick for Lamb and Dallas' First Rounder (which currently sits at the #8 spot). We get a nice young player (Jeremy Lamb), one we had hoped to land during the Dwight Howard fiasco when he was rumored to go to Houston and an early first round draft pick. We'll be able to add to our core and start building towards the future. Great deal in my opinion, even if Hedo or Harrington aren't tacked on.

If OKC would trade Lamb and the Dallas pick, I'd jump on it. I do think Redick's value is such that we can get a prospect and a pick for him at this point--and especially if teams start bidding against each other. I suggested on the Trade board something built around Marquis Teague and the Bulls' 2014 pick. That's not the value that Lamb and the Dallas pick is, but I'd be amenable to either one. Less keen on Derrick Williams, but even there, the Wolves' pick (likely 10-15 range) has to be attractive to us moving forward.

I wonder though if OKC is really in need of Redick since they have an already solid team, though if they're only giving up a player (Lamb, who is in the D-League) and a pick (which they acquired for Harden), they're not really losing anything that is directly impacting their game, if anything they become that much stronger with JJ there, and he would thrive off of the college-like atmosphere that OKC fans bring.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#58 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm

There are other options out there that play guard though for a package based around JJ (if you think he is worth Jennings). Tyreke Evans, Bledsoe, Marquise Teague, Shved, and Avery Bradley all play for teams that are potential suitors. Then there are teams like the Jazz, Pacers, Raptors, and more who could want to trade for a starting SG. Teams are willing to give up draft picks too. If JJ wants to go, he is a valuable piece.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#59 » by tiderulz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm

drsd wrote:
Bigmagicfan82 wrote:I wonder if we could get Jennings for Redick?

Orlando would need to commit to an eventual max deal, and if the Bucks are to blow up their roster, then a salary dump would be part of this. Jennings and Drew Gooden for Nelson, Redick, McRoberts, and the 3 picks from the Howard deal might get this done. And this is a really interesting idea for the Magic.

oh hell no. Way over pay for Jennings.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#60 » by Def Swami » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:03 pm

D-Will and unprotected 1st for JJ is fair imo.

I'd be interested in Chicagos' draft picks.

As drsd mentioned, when you trade a player like JJ for Jennings, Evans, or even Bledsoe, you're banking on the idea that those players will reach their potential. I prefer draft picks in any trade involving JJ, but if we were to acquire one of these guys, I think it'd be because Henny and crew have high hopes for him, like they had with Afflalo and Vucevic.

Return to Orlando Magic