ImageImageImageImage

Magic "have expressed interest" in trading for Rudy Gay

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Magic "have expressed interest" in trading for Rudy Gay 

Post#1 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 pm

This was bound to happen eventually.

The Orlando Magic are one of several teams to express an interest in Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay, reports Bill Ingram of HOOPSWORLD. Ingram says "the Grizzlies are exploring Rudy Gay's trade value" and cites Magic guard J.J. Redick as one "interesting name" that's come up as they've conducted that search.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/20 ... -jj-redick
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Re: Magic "have expressed interest" in trading for Rudy Gay 

Post#2 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 am

that TPE is looking rather sexy right now....
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,609

Post#3 » by ChosenSavior » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 am

Nyce_1 wrote:that TPE is looking rather sexy right now....

Yep indeed...
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#4 » by Howard Mass » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:14 am

It's just a rumor which there will be lots of for the next month or so.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#5 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 am

Howard Mass wrote:It's just a rumor which there will be lots of for the next month or so.

at least THIS season, we actually have assets to offer.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#6 » by Viper1500 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am

Idk how I feel on this, it definitely makes us MUCH better though.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#7 » by Def Swami » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 am

This is cool. I like Rudy Gay. I hate his contract. I'm torn on this potential deal. However, I think that we may be able to play the middle man of any potential Rudy Gay deal as a 3rd team since we have that massive TPE. We may be able to come away with good draft picks and young players. Just glad to see us active.
Greenraida
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#8 » by Greenraida » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 am

I feel like gay would be a starter for us being players in FA. Gay and our stable of youth and picks would be a good destination to end up on for any available FAs.

If we are trading away turk with the deal, I believe we will have around 6 mill to play with next season (can someone test my math?)
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#9 » by Bensational » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 am

I've already stated that I'm a fan of Rudy's. But....

If the Wizards really do have Beal in the mix for trade talks (which I doubt), then I'd try to get in on that little party. I'd imagine they'd have to give up a stud like him for Gay to balance out the fact that they have little in terms of cap relief to offer - which is why I feel Memphis wouldn't take the deal, anyway.

MEM: JJ + Harkless
WAS: Gay + TPE + Harrington
ORL: Beal + Nene + Ariza

This will depend on how highly you regard Beal. He's had a very, very rough start so far, but I think he's still loaded with potential - and a well structured organisation and good veterans could really bring the best out of him. Nene's 4 year contract is a killer, but he is still a decent player, and he could very well remain as filler for a s&t. Ariza is a fill in SF for this season and next season, until we start gearing towards cap space for 2014, to build around a core of Vuc + Drew + Beal + our 2013/14 draft picks.

Washington get out of Nene's contract, and have $13M to spend on FA's this summer, to go along with their core of Wall + Gay. you add Al Jefferson/Millsap to that mix, and they'd at least be able to start winning games again, and that would make Washington happy.

Memphis get cap relief, a quality SG, and a SF prospect to groom in Gay's absence.

Vuc/Nene
BBD/Nicholson
Ariza/Hedo/Jones
Afflalo/Beal
Nelson/Moore
Viper1500
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Viper1500 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 am

After watching the Washington game it's obvious this team is far from being one player away from competing for anything. Rudy Gay would clog this team up financially, and make us too good to compete for a top pick in the next coming drafts.

It's a bad idea in my opinion
Greenraida
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Greenraida » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 am

double post
Greenraida
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Greenraida » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 am

Bensational wrote:I've already stated that I'm a fan of Rudy's. But....

If the Wizards really do have Beal in the mix for trade talks (which I doubt), then I'd try to get in on that little party. I'd imagine they'd have to give up a stud like him for Gay to balance out the fact that they have little in terms of cap relief to offer - which is why I feel Memphis wouldn't take the deal, anyway.

This will depend on how highly you regard Beal. He's had a very, very rough start so far, but I think he's still loaded with potential - and a well structured organisation and good veterans could really bring the best out of him. Nene's 4 year contract is a killer, but he is still a decent player, and he could very well remain as filler for a s&t. Ariza is a fill in SF for this season and next season, until we start gearing towards cap space for 2014, to build around a core of Vuc + Drew + Beal + our 2013/14 draft picks.

Washington get out of Nene's contract, and have $13M to spend on FA's this summer, to go along with their core of Wall + Gay. you add Al Jefferson/Millsap to that mix, and they'd at least be able to start winning games again, and that would make Washington happy.

Memphis get cap relief, a quality SG, and a SF prospect to groom in Gay's absence.

Vuc/Nene
BBD/Nicholson
Ariza/Hedo/Jones
Afflalo/Beal
Nelson/Moore

I don't mind Beal, as he has shown flashes of brilliance, and could eventually be good 2-3 years from now. Nenes contract though I dont really want to touch, unless we think we can trade him away to someone that needs a starting center, 13 mill for a bench player shreds our flexibility.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#13 » by NEM » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 am

Redick, turkoglu, this years pick for gay and wroten would be done so fast...
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#14 » by MagicTownBaller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 am

Vuc/Nene
BBD/Nicholson
Ariza/Hedo/Jones
Afflalo/Beal
Nelson/Moore

My main problem with Beal is that he's too short to play the two. He's 6'3. How can he go and guard bigger SG's?
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#15 » by Orium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 am

If it only cost us Redick + TPE/Pick then I'd be all for getting Gay. Having a player that can produce at his level while maintaining the youth core movement provided by the Howard trade would be ideal.

If they want to try including Nicholson or Harkless though, then I'd shoot it down in a second.
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#16 » by Orium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:52 am

Vuc/Nene
BBD/Nicholson
Ariza/Hedo/Jones
Afflalo/Beal
Nelson/Moore

This is where you lost me. That's an Otis mistake if I've ever seen one.
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
blue and white
Bench Warmer
And1: 57

Post#17 » by blue and white » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am

Vuc/Nene
BBD/Nicholson
Ariza/Hedo/Jones
Afflalo/Beal
Nelson/Moore

why try and get beal when you can just get his even better clone in ben mclemore? or better yet bazz?
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#18 » by ADRajX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:59 am

If it's only Redick + TPE for Rudy (and filler), then I'm all for it

PG- Nelson/Moore
SG- Afflalo/Jones
SF- Gay/Harkless
PF- Davis/Nicholson
C - Vucevic

Not too bad

I don't want to give up Vucevic or Nicholson... and I don't want to give up both Afflalo AND Redick. We need to keep either one of them at SG. Of course with that all said, I doubt Memphis will ask for only Redick, and I doubt Orlando will even end up dealing for Rudy.
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#19 » by Def Swami » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 am

DJRajX wrote:If it's only Redick + TPE for Rudy, then I'm all for it

PG- Nelson/Moore
SG- Afflalo/Jones
SF- Gay/Harkless
PF- Davis/Nicholson
C - Vucevic

Not too bad

Wouldn't even mind JJ+Harrington or Hedo.
Viper1500
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Viper1500 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 am

VGOSWAMI wrote:
DJRajX wrote:If it's only Redick + TPE for Rudy, then I'm all for it

PG- Nelson/Moore
SG- Afflalo/Jones
SF- Gay/Harkless
PF- Davis/Nicholson
C - Vucevic

Not too bad

Wouldn't even mind JJ+Harrington or Hedo.

This would definitely be the preference.

Return to Orlando Magic