ImageImageImageImage

Vucevic is a stud

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Vucevic is a stud 

Post#1 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 am

When we got this guy he was one of the few bright spots in the deal. But I don't think anyone thought he'd be balling out as good as he has been the last two months. 13/12 in December, 15/14 in January so far.

Here's hoping we make that splash in free agency before his contract is up in 2015.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Re: Vucevic is a stud 

Post#2 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:24 am

I believe I was all onboard with Vuc from day 1 but I can't remember. Or was that Ryan Anderson??
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,206

Post#3 » by thelead » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 am

UCFJayBird wrote:When we got this guy he was one of the few bright spots in the deal. But I don't think anyone thought he'd be balling out as good as he has been the last two months. 13/12 in December, 15/14 in January so far.

Here's hoping we make that splash in free agency before his contract is up in 2015.

That is going to be extremely challenging.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#4 » by Viper1500 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:39 am

thelead wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:When we got this guy he was one of the few bright spots in the deal. But I don't think anyone thought he'd be balling out as good as he has been the last two months. 13/12 in December, 15/14 in January so far.

Solid drafting and a couple good pick ups in free agency can turn this team right around. Just need to be patient, I'm hoping we go after Wall in free agency
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#5 » by NickAnderson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:44 am

He's definitely balling right now. Hopefully he can keep this up all year.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#6 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 am

he's earning himself a max contract alright. unfortunately we're gonna need a legit superstar to team up with him for it to make a lick of difference. we've got 3 drafts and 3 FA periods to make that happen. that's a pretty big window.

i figured he'd go for 10/10, but his performances just keep getting better and better. he's had a few games now where his individual performances has been key in carrying the team to a win. once he learns to lock down the paint and cover defensive rotations a bit better, he'll be a true beast.
BrettC03
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#7 » by BrettC03 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:12 am

We were all hoping he'd turn into a 16 and 10 guy, but he's capable of being a 16 and 13 guy now. It's going to be exciting watching him develop as a player.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#8 » by shadrock » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 am

Vucevic has really impressed me with the level of maturity he plays with for a second year player. Very calm and composed, and as a result he is probably our most consistent player. I see no reason he cant be a 20/12 guy next season. Hes got a far better offensive game than Dwight will ever have, and has a nice bit of range. Scores at a high percentage also, which suggests he can take on more of a load, and i think as time goes on, he will become more of a focus for our offence.

Given age, health, attitude, i really doubt id trade him back for Dwight right now to be totally truthful. I actually prefer Vucci in many ways over Dwight, mainly his attitude and his offence. Will be interesting to see how he handles double teams as he becomes more of a key player, and if he can draw a double and pass out of the post, then that gives us a HUGEEEE x factor as far as offence goes, much like the xfactor we had for a while there with Dwight drawing doubles. Would mean we could play inside out at times and then kick out and swing to the open shooters. The problem with Dwight in the later days was when we played this way against the better teams, his offence wasnt enough to demand the double team and they would stay at home on our shooters, and add to this the fact that he would turn it over a lot and force bad shots/pass poorly from the post, and that was half of our problems. Maybe vucci can be better in these areas? Obviously defence is a different thing all together, but thats another discussion.

Im pretty excited about our future with this guy...
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#9 » by InFlames » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 am

Vooch is impressive, cant believe he is playing at this level already and hes just a 2nd year player.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#10 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 am

"I'm not here to replace Dwight," said Vucevic, who arrived in the mammoth Howard trade, through the Philadelphia 76ers. "Dwight's specific in his way. I'm totally different. I'm more of a skilled player with a high basketball IQ.

"I can shoot the ball and pass the ball. I think I do a lot of things fans won't see."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ional-team

He forgot to add the he can rebound just as well. :D
aka: prorl
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#11 » by arsenal6106 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 am

Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#12 » by Hilltop » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 am

Viper1500 wrote:
thelead wrote:

Solid drafting and a couple good pick ups in free agency can turn this team right around. Just need to be patient, I'm hoping we go after Wall in free agency

Im not too high on Wall, actually. Not unless he gets it together and has something of a break out season.

The kid is athletic, he has great handles and has size for a PG, but he lacks the skill or the BBIQ to really be effective on the offensive end. He's a turnover machine and he can't shoot to save his life. He can't spot up, he sucks in the PnR, and he isn't great in isolation either. His TS and ORTG are pretty awful. Right now it looks like his ceiling is Steve Francis (if he can even be that good - yikes).
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#13 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:38 am

Great work by Rob to pick him up in the deal. I know what centers are getting in the market right now, so he might be a "max" player in that sense, but I don't think truly is. Not yet anyway. Hasn't shown much of anything in the post when he's had the opportunity. I like how he scores now. Oppertunity points, hustle and a nice mid range J.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#14 » by OrlandO » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:57 am

I believe before the season I said he had a good chance of being a 10/10 guy. I remember looking at his stats after the trade and noticed that his limited minutes numbers were promising, but when he actually played extended minutes he was putting up really good numbers... it seemed almost too obvious he was like another Gortat ready to jump to the next level if given the opportunity. Unless we luck into a superstar center, Vucevic is going to fit in just fine for years to come.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#15 » by Max Power » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:38 am

You know, I'm excited about Vucevic too, and he's playing like a madman right now, he's showing what he can be in this league, but come on people, the max contract talk after 60 days of great play is way premature here. A year from now if he's doing something similar or better then we'll have to worry about a big contract, but for now lets enjoy watching the kid but keep in the back of our minds he in all likelyhood will come back to earth a bit. Still the Magic seem to have a double double guy at center, and considering who we lost, thats a pretty good deal in my view, as there arent quality bigs out there, Howard, HIbbert, Gortat and Vucevic are pretty much it right now. As far as starting centers anyway

'
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 300

Post#16 » by MagicHolland » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 am

I love what Vucci has done so far. He's a very good rebounder, has a good nose for the offensive board and his offensive positioning is good. Besides that he's also a good passer for a big man and seems to just go with the flow of the game.

That being said, defensively he has a long way to go and he doesn't come anywhere near Dwight's defensive impact. Also offensively Dwight could get his own shot (dunk) better than Vucci can creat for himself.

What I like about Vucci is that he seems to just let the game come to him and play within his strenghts. He's a great building block and I hope he does stay with the Magic long term.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#17 » by MagicTownBaller » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 pm

arsenal6106 wrote:http://forums.philly.com/discussions/Sixers_Forum/_/Keeping_track_of_Vucevic/kr-sixers/65921.0?nav=messages

These Sixers fans aren't too happy.

To be fair, I'd be pissed too.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#18 » by darthcheech2000 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Vucevic can become something really special, he's young and def has a good head on his shoulders, but he is an above average center on a below average team right now. We lost the best center in the league and we're trying to stay positive, I get it, but lets not raise this guy up just so we can trash him when he doesn't meet the unrealistic expectations we gave him.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
dariusl7
Senior
And1: 1

Post#19 » by dariusl7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Vlade Divac light? :wink:
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#20 » by CraZyPraiZ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 pm

The best part is that he is only 22. He doesn't need the ball and he has the best hands I have seen in a long time on the offensive rebounds that he taps back in. This kid was an absolute steal. Just wait until him and Nicholson gain bulk and experience. We have 2 really good pieces for the future.

Return to Orlando Magic