ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#101 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:41 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:I like Oladipo, Gobert and mcw too, but I dont think we should pick them as high as we probably draft, but theres always a chance we pick 5th and Shebazz, smart, Mclemore are all gone. who would you pick if we absolutely lose out on the lottery and pick 5th or 6th?

In that case, Burke? Bennett?

Realistically, we're very likely to get a top 3 pick. Our remaining schedule is diabolically hard. Pretty much all vs. playoff teams except for about 5 games.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#102 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:
IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:I like Oladipo, Gobert and mcw too, but I dont think we should pick them as high as we probably draft, but theres always a chance we pick 5th and Shebazz, smart, Mclemore are all gone. who would you pick if we absolutely lose out on the lottery and pick 5th or 6th?

Realistically, we're very likely to get a top 3 pick. Our remaining schedule is diabolically hard. Pretty much all vs. playoff teams except for about 5 games.

In the last 6 years, the team with the 2nd worst record has drafted, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, :-?
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#103 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 am

The last time a team with one of the worst two records won the lottery was when we won it in 2004

Since then the avg position in the draft of the lottery winner has been 5.75
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#104 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:21 am

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:
OrlandoMagician wrote:

In the last 6 years, the team with the 2nd worst record has drafted, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, :-?

I fully expect us to draft somewhere between 2 and 4, assuming we finish with the 2nd worst record. I'd be very surprised if we won the lottery, but also very surprised if more than 1 team moved up above us.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#105 » by SmiteaDwight » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:51 am

McLemore is the safest pick, but Shabazz has the most upside imo
Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#106 » by Tarot Magician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:33 am

I'll have to wait until after March. Guys are going to be sliding up and down the boards. If Oladipo's stock increases even more, he's the one I'd be most interested in around 5th or 6th.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#107 » by Skin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 am

Tarot Magician wrote:

I'll have to wait until after March. Guys are going to be sliding up and down the boards. If Oladipo's stock increases even more, he's the one I'd be most interested in around 5th or 6th.

See this is silly to me. If the guy is good enough in your mind now or not good enough now, then why does it change later? As a player he is not gonna drastically change.

If you like Oladipo now with the 5th or 6th pick, then don't let that change if he's rated closer to the 10th or 11th pick by the public when the draft is here. If you like a guy, like him. Don't let his consensus draft range change your mind to not liking him or liking him even more.

For me, I'm a fan of Burke. If we have a top 5 pick, then I'm taking Burke. He reminds me of Chris Paul who went 4th overall. Andrew Bogut and Marvin Williams went ahead of him because they were the "consensus" top guys. Don't be fooled by the public. Believe what your eyes tell you.

My eyes tell me that Burke, Bennett and Smart are the guys I can have confidence in.

Noel, Zeller, McClemore are guys I'm staying far away from. People think Noel is raw... he's worse than raw. He doesn't have the mentality to bang down low or the offensive touch to play as a successful finesse big man. Shot blocking and rebounding will be nice, but those are cheap stats I can find later in the draft. A top pick needs to show me more.

Zeller is just a solid role player at best. BMac will just be the next Kansas Jayhawk to have a career below expectations.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#108 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:Here's a question: if we draft Smart, will we bench Jameer? Or trade him?

Top 5 draft picks simply HAVE to start as rookies, or their growth can be stunted.

I'm not sold that you have to start rookies. Jameer will start over most rookie point guards. And that's okay. Smart will need some mentoring to learn the nuances and ropes of the position. And Meer is a good person to have around for that.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#109 » by magicman123 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:54 am

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#110 » by drsd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:39 am

Skin wrote:For me, I'm a fan of Burke. If we have a top 5 pick, then I'm taking Burke. He reminds me of Chris Paul who went 4th overall. Andrew Bogut and Marvin Williams went ahead of him because they were the "consensus" top guys. Don't be fooled by the public. Believe what your eyes tell you.

I too think Burke will develop into the best PG of this class, but not to a Paul level. I see something more like Kyle Lowry as his upside.

Let's say the Magic trade Redick to Milwaukee or Boston and get a pick around #15. The Magic now have the #3 and the #15 pick. If they really like Burke, and think there is a chance he will be available at #15. Do they risk loosing him by drafting someone like Shabazz Muhammad, or do they "over-reach" and sign Trey Burke (that i s rhetoric question).

If this all works out, then the starting roster for the 2013/14 Magic is (with core players in blue):
Nelson/Moore/Burke
Afflalo/Muhammad
Harkless/vet-FA/Jones
Davis/Nicholson
Vučević/O'Quinn/vet-FA

This assumption is that with Redick, Harrington, Smith, McRoberts, will have all moved on through FA or trades. Not only is this an improved roster over this year, it leaves a lot of space for a near-Max FA to be added for the 2014 season; looking at the roster, it should be a stud PF to replace Davis. Let's call it Josh Smith just to fill out a roster. What GM Hennigan has thus created for 2014/15 is something like:

Burke/Moore/Nelson
Muhammad/vet-FA/young-traded-guy
Harkless/Jones/vet-FA
Smith/Nicholson/rookie-PF
Vučević/O'Quinn/Rakovic

This team has athletes and scoring. It has rebounding and shot-blocking. There is perimeter scoring, the ability to drive, the ability to post up, and the ability to run a fast break. It is a bit mediocre in defense. It kind of reminds me of the Phoenix teams of the mid-00's. We might be looking at a five-year run of 60 win seasons that lead to second-round and conference final loses.

OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#111 » by OrlDave » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 pm

drsd wrote:
Let's say the Magic trade Redick to Milwaukee or Boston and get a pick around #15. The Magic now have the #3 and the #15 pick. If they really like Burke, and think there is a chance he will be available at #15. Do they risk loosing him by drafting someone like Shabazz Muhammad, or do they "over-reach" and sign Trey Burke (that i s rhetoric question).

You don't take a guy who might be available at 15 with the #3 pick. That's insanity.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Post#112 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 pm

drsd wrote:
Skin wrote:For me, I'm a fan of Burke. If we have a top 5 pick, then I'm taking Burke. He reminds me of Chris Paul who went 4th overall. Andrew Bogut and Marvin Williams went ahead of him because they were the "consensus" top guys. Don't be fooled by the public. Believe what your eyes tell you.

I too think Burke will develop into the best PG of this class, but not to a Paul level. I see something more like Kyle Lowry as his upside.

If this all works out, then the starting roster for the 2013/14 Magic is (with core players in blue):
Nelson/Moore/Burke
Afflalo/Muhammad
Harkless/vet-FA/Jones
Davis/Nicholson
Vučević/O'Quinn/vet-FA

This assumption is that with Redick, Harrington, Smith, McRoberts, will have all moved on through FA or trades. Not only is this an improved roster over this year, it leaves a lot of space for a near-Max FA to be added for the 2014 season; looking at the roster, it should be a stud PF to replace Davis. Let's call it Josh Smith just to fill out a roster. What GM Hennigan has thus created for 2014/15 is something like:

Burke/Moore/Nelson
Harkless/Jones/vet-FA
Vučević/O'Quinn/Rakovic

This team has athletes and scoring. It has rebounding and shot-blocking. There is perimeter scoring, the ability to drive, the ability to post up, and the ability to run a fast break. It is a bit mediocre in defense. It kind of reminds me of the Phoenix teams of the mid-00's. We might be looking at a five-year run of 60 win seasons that lead to second-round and conference final loses.

Interesting post. I like that team. Has some decent scorers throughout the lineup and a lot of athleticism. Defense is spotty in some areas, but you can say the same for most of the league.

We would be pretty lucky to get Burke at #15. CJ McCollum might be there though. Great scorer but his stock has taken a hit because of his broken arm.

If the Magic had the #5 pick and Noel, Smart, McLemore, and Shabazz are off the board w/ Zeller, Oladipo, Len, Bennett, and Burke on the board I would take a hard look at Bennett.

Bennett @ 5, McCollum @ 15, Brandon Paul/Ledo in the 2nd would be a successful draft to me.
Skin
RealGM

Post#113 » by Skin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:34 pm

drsd wrote:

Nelson/Moore/Burke
Afflalo/Muhammad
Harkless/vet-FA/Jones
Davis/Nicholson
Vučević/O'Quinn/vet-FA

Burke/Moore/Nelson
Harkless/Jones/vet-FA
Vučević/O'Quinn/Rakovic

Do you really think Josh Smith would sign with us? Cause I think that's more than a wishful thinking.

Love trading Redick for a 1st. That's what I desire as well.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#114 » by Skin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:47 pm

OrlDave wrote:
drsd wrote:

You don't take a guy who might be available at 15 with the #3 pick. That's insanity.

Odds are if your organization thinks that a guy is worth taking high, then other teams could think the same thing as well. You can't base your rankings off of what nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com think. I agree that if you have the ability to maneuver around the draft and get added value then you try to do that. But playing it cute can bite you in the ass too.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#115 » by OrlDave » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Skin wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
drsd wrote:

Odds are if your organization thinks that a guy is worth taking high, then other teams could think the same thing as well. You can't base your rankings off of what nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com think. I agree that if you have the ability to maneuver around the draft and get added value then you try to do that. But playing it cute can bite you in the ass too.

Maybe? I mean people make dumb picks and overrate guys. My favorite as a Dolphin fan is us taking Ted Ginn at #9 one year. Sure he's fast, but he didn't even have the size to be a starting WR. He was a slot and kickoff returner AT BEST. Yet, we draft him a 9. So I suppose if Burke became all the rage between now and draft time, then yes, he might be a pick at 3. Chance of that happening in 4 months? Not likely.
Skin
RealGM

Post#116 » by Skin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Where was Lillard this time last year?

...just sayin'. ;)
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#117 » by magicman123 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Skin wrote:Where was Lillard this time last year?

...just sayin'. ;)

simply from mock draft data alone (draftexpress), he started out last year at 61 (November), by the beginning of March he was 13 and a lottery pick
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#118 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:
OrlandoMagician wrote:Here's a question: if we draft Smart, will we bench Jameer? Or trade him?

Top 5 draft picks simply HAVE to start as rookies, or their growth can be stunted.

I'm not sold that you have to start rookies. Jameer will start over most rookie point guards. And that's okay. Smart will need some mentoring to learn the nuances and ropes of the position. And Meer is a good person to have around for that.

Would you agree that a guy like Smart needs at least 25mpg as a rookie? I just think high lottery picks need to be given every opportunity to show their stuff and learn the NBA. Given Smart's size for a pg (6'4") and defensive ability I could definitely see opportunities for him to share the floor with Jameer, as well as play with Afflalo. I do like the idea of Jameer teaching him the ropes though.
OrlandoMagician
Junior

Post#119 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 pm

magicman123 wrote:Image
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Who would you rather have, shebazz or B-mac? There's something about Shabazz I don't like. . .

Return to Orlando Magic