ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#161 » by dsg2021 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 am

I forgot Otto porter too, but he feels a little refundant maybe to Harkless/Harris. I wouldn't care if Magic thought he was BPA.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#162 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:06 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:According to NBADraft.net the Thunder have the 10th pick?! Where'd they get that from? Any way we can send them an Afflalo or anything and get in on that?

Would make drafting Smart and Oladipo a real possibility.

I am starting to doubt that Oladipo is getting some much needed noteriety (moved up to 5 on Ford's big board) now and honestly i dont see him slipping past number 7 i would love for the magic to get him sounds like a Henny guy really sacrifices for the team in Indy and has a great motor. I love Smart but unless henny thinks he has star potential i would not mind him taking Oladipo in top 5.
Also Otto Porter i think is really underrated he looks like an all star talent and can do it all. If Henny thinks Harris is more of a 4 i could see him getting him and running 4 man rotation with all our young guys at 3 and 4. Or at worst develop and trade one for an allstar talent wing
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#163 » by OrlandoMagician » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm

The central question of this thread is an important one, because whoever we select is the first lottery pick, or high-end 'blue chip' talent, that we have acquired in our rebuild.

So far we've picked up solid-to-good prospects in Harkless, Harris, Nicholson, O'Quinn and Vučevic - but whoever we pick with our (likely) top 5 pick will ideally be the first stud to join our future championship team.

So who's that guy? I like Smart, think his work-rate and leader mentality will ensure he doesn't go bust in the NBA. Pair him with an elite wing scorer from the 2014 draft (Wiggins please!) and we're on our way.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#164 » by MJallday59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I hate the James Harden Comparision for Smart. James Harden without the jumper is Rodney Stuckey.

If we get the top pick I'd trade Afflalo, Cash, Future 1st to Phoenix for #5 & #13

#1. Oladipo
#5. Noel
#13. Burke

Burke/Nelson
Oladipo/Lamb
Wiggins/Harkless
Noel/Nicholson
Vucevic/ O'quinn
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#165 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Name the freshmen (one plays in the NBA still one is in college still)

9.8 pts 9.6 rebs 3.8 blocks .9 assists .4 spg 54% FG shooting

10.5 pts 9.5 rebs 4.4 blocks 1.6 assists 2.1 spg 59% FG shooting
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#166 » by drsd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 pm

We should all remember that McLemore is still 156% ahead of the second player in this poll.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,140

Post#167 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:53 pm

drsd wrote:We should all remember that McLemore is still 156% ahead of the second player in this poll.

The same difference as Blitz's IQ and the next highest... ;)
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,177

Post#168 » by cedric76 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 pm

we get 1st draft pick, jackpot, we trade down to Phoenix for #5 and #13

noone in top 4 want a PG so Smart will be there, if not maybe take a chance on Noel (a VUC+AN+NOEL+KOQ rotation could be really nice)
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#169 » by drsd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm

cedric76 wrote:we get 1st draft pick, jackpot, we trade down to Phoenix for #5 and #13

By today, that is Noel and Burke.

That is ace!

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#170 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Do you guys think Phoenix would trade both picks for the #1? Phoenix could set themselves up nicely with Bennett/Oladipo/Porter at #5 and a big at #13.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#171 » by Neon1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Zmill wrote:Do you guys think Phoenix would trade both picks for the #1? Phoenix could set themselves up nicely with Bennett/Oladipo/Porter at #5 and a big at #13.

Straight up? No. If we throw Afflalo or take a contract? Maybe.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#172 » by shadrock » Fri Mar 1, 2013 5:22 am

If you ask me, it comes down to three players: Oladipo, Smart, McLemore.

My main concern with Smart is that he is slow, not a fantastic distributor (high TO rate), and is very inconsistent. He also just seems to lack the xfactor in my view. McLemore is a shooter, hes solid, but i dont see him being a star.

But of the three above, the guy that intrigues me is Oladipo! Seriously, for those who havent seen much of him, check out his draftexpress video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWJGiJJAwk). Incredibly quick, and just a ferocious defender. Has genuine Elite potential as a defender, and his energy and athletic ability is through the roof. I know hes unpolished, but my god if he can develop any kind of offensive game this guy will be incredible. Hes already showing that he can shoot pretty well, and it doesnt seem to be a fluke like some might think! Either way, i dont have much fear that he can develop into a good shooter. The main trick for him will be developing offensive moves. hes great in transition, and great when the pace is fast, but i dont know what he would be like when the game slows down. Thoughts?

Also, anyone know if this guy has played basketball his whole life? He comes across to me as a guy who picked up the sport at a late age, in which case, it may just be that he hasnt been taught basketball fundamentals.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#173 » by j_n » Fri Mar 1, 2013 6:33 am

shadrock wrote:But of the three above, the guy that intrigues me is Oladipo! Seriously, for those who havent seen much of him, check out his draftexpress video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWJGiJJAwk). Incredibly quick, and just a ferocious defender. Has genuine Elite potential as a defender, and his energy and athletic ability is through the roof. I know hes unpolished, but my god if he can develop any kind of offensive game this guy will be incredible. Hes already showing that he can shoot pretty well, and it doesnt seem to be a fluke like some might think! Either way, i dont have much fear that he can develop into a good shooter. The main trick for him will be developing offensive moves. hes great in transition, and great when the pace is fast, but i dont know what he would be like when the game slows down. Thoughts?

I watched his draft video about two weeks ago and since than Im sold on this guy, I dont think there is a safer pick in mid lottery than Oladipo, at the very least you get a stopper and hustle player that can finish at the rim and knock down open shots from outside.

Does anyone think there is a chance we can trade Afflalo to the wolves for their pick, roy and stiemsma?, would give us more cap space for 2014 and allow us to walk away with Smart/Noel and Oladipo, thats a scary defensive team.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#174 » by shadrock » Fri Mar 1, 2013 6:38 am

j_n wrote:
shadrock wrote:But of the three above, the guy that intrigues me is Oladipo! Seriously, for those who havent seen much of him, check out his draftexpress video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWJGiJJAwk). Incredibly quick, and just a ferocious defender. Has genuine Elite potential as a defender, and his energy and athletic ability is through the roof. I know hes unpolished, but my god if he can develop any kind of offensive game this guy will be incredible. Hes already showing that he can shoot pretty well, and it doesnt seem to be a fluke like some might think! Either way, i dont have much fear that he can develop into a good shooter. The main trick for him will be developing offensive moves. hes great in transition, and great when the pace is fast, but i dont know what he would be like when the game slows down. Thoughts?

I watched his draft video about two weeks ago and since than Im sold on this guy, I dont think there is a safer pick in mid lottery than Oladipo, at the very least you get a stopper and hustle player that can finish at the rim and knock down open shots from outside.

Does anyone think there is a chance we can trade Afflalo to the wolves for their pick, roy and stiemsma?, would give us more cap space for 2014 and allow us to walk away with Smart/Noel and Oladipo, thats a scary defensive team.

Unfortunately im starting to think oladipo will go top 3. Either way, i say just take him with our pick straight up
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#175 » by InFlames » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:22 am

Oladipo will definitely go top 5.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#176 » by j_n » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:43 am

InFlames wrote:Oladipo will definitely go top 5.

While I think he definitly should, look at the teams in the top of the draft:
Washington- already has Bradely beal
Cleveland-Dion Waiters
New orleans-Eric Gordon
Sacramento- I gues they dont know themselves but with Thornton and Tyreke there, they have a bigger need for a PF than SG.
The bobcats, Suns and Pistons could definitly go for a SG but with Mclemore projected to go as the top SG in the draft, say the Bobcats take him, and its very likely that Oladipo is there at #8.
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#177 » by Edrock » Fri Mar 1, 2013 2:54 pm

I hope the Magic take Noel... I think he's the kind of long athletic defensive anchor that winning teams need in today's NBA. Development will allow for the 2014 plan, and (most importantly) EPIC high top fade...
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#178 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 1, 2013 3:22 pm

As long as the Magic don't take Noel or Smart, I will be fine with McLemore or Shabbaz. The other two have potential to be a bust written all over them. I hate high risk picks. Especially, Noel. I may even take bets that he will be a bust.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#179 » by Edrock » Fri Mar 1, 2013 3:27 pm

Weird... My Chrome is complaining that DraftExpress 'may harm my computer' anyone else seeing this?
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#180 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Mar 1, 2013 3:36 pm

My concerns with Oladipo are his handles. Against better defenders he could have a tough time creating for himself or getting into the lane. His raw abilities are clearly there, if he can improve his handles he could be a VERY good player. But athletic players that struggle with their handles don't usually become anything more than solid bench players in the NBA.

Return to Orlando Magic