ImageImageImageImage

If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Who should they take?

Nerlens Noel
21%
Ben McLemore
23%
Shabazz Muhammad
15%
Marcus Smart
28%
Cody Zeller
1%
Otto Porter
1%
Anthony Bennett
4%
Other
7%

Total votes: 137

G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Re: If the Magic get a top draft pick, who should they take? 

Post#181 » by G-Heel » Fri Mar 1, 2013 4:34 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:My concerns with Oladipo are his handles. Against better defenders he could have a tough time creating for himself or getting into the lane. His raw abilities are clearly there, if he can improve his handles he could be a VERY good player. But athletic players that struggle with their handles don't usually become anything more than solid bench players in the NBA.

Agree. If you look at all the elite SGs -- Kobe, Wade, etc, they can handle the ball and create for others. That's why I'm not sold on this year SG crops. McLemore, Shabazz, and Oladipo doesn't seem to have what it takes to be an elite wing in this league.
Fire Otis!
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#182 » by I Rasharted » Fri Mar 1, 2013 6:20 pm

Edrock wrote:I hope the Magic take Noel... I think he's the kind of long athletic defensive anchor that winning teams need in today's NBA. Development will allow for the 2014 plan, and (most importantly) EPIC high top fade...

I know. Even Noel's injury hasn't scared me away from him completely. You can't teach size! Plus the name. Plus the hair. Lot to like there, people.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#183 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:42 pm

I Rasharted wrote:
Edrock wrote:I hope the Magic take Noel... I think he's the kind of long athletic defensive anchor that winning teams need in today's NBA. Development will allow for the 2014 plan, and (most importantly) EPIC high top fade...

I know. Even Noel's injury hasn't scared me away from him completely. You can't teach size! Plus the name. Plus the hair. Lot to like there, people.

I will take bets that Noel will be a bust! 8-)

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#184 » by magicman123 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:52 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:

I will take bets that Noel will be a bust! 8-)

so hows Liggins and Orton working out for ya? :wink:
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#185 » by OrlDave » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:54 pm

So Chad Ford has his lottery predictor. Has us taking Smart if we win. I've run it a few times just to see. Clearly different teams ending up above us would mean different picks below. Note that I think Chad places too much emphasis on need. Especially in the Magic's case where I believe that Henny will take BPA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2013/mockdraft

#1 Smart, Smart, Smart, Smart, Smart
#2 Noel*, Smart,
#3 Smart, Smart, Smart
#4 Smart, Oladipo, Noel, Noel, Smart, Olapido, Olapido
#5 Oladipo, Olapido, Smart,

*Kings took Smart at 1.

So in 20 tries we got the first 5 (or 25%) and got Smart 11 (or 55%). Olapido was 2nd with 5 (25%) and Noel with 4 (20%). Random is random though.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#186 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 1, 2013 7:57 pm

magicman123 wrote:

Liggins may be in the league longer than Noel will be.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,415

Post#187 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Mar 1, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm weary of going after Noel. Knee injuries are the career killers of big men (and basketball players in general). Just look at Greg Oden, Yao Ming, Andrew Bynum. Constant knee problems that reoccur over and over again. Big men who hurt their knees early in their careers tend to become injury prone (too lazy to do the research to see if i'm actually right, lol, but that's my impression).

Now Noel could certainly come back and be fine and be a fantastic player and never hurt that knee again. But if I'm the Magic with a top pick, I don't know if I take that gamble without having seen him play a season without hurting it again.
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#188 » by OrlandoMagician » Sat Mar 2, 2013 12:20 am

I've decided that if we get the #1 or #2 pick, I only really want Smart or Noel.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#189 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 12:22 am

UCFJayBird wrote:I'm weary of going after Noel. Knee injuries are the career killers of big men (and basketball players in general). Just look at Greg Oden, Yao Ming, Andrew Bynum. Constant knee problems that reoccur over and over again. Big men who hurt their knees early in their careers tend to become injury prone (too lazy to do the research to see if i'm actually right, lol, but that's my impression).

Now Noel could certainly come back and be fine and be a fantastic player and never hurt that knee again. But if I'm the Magic with a top pick, I don't know if I take that gamble without having seen him play a season without hurting it again.

You don't see any physical difference between Nerlens Noel and Oden, Yao, Bynum etc. that would make knee injuries harder to recover from?
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#190 » by Neon1 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 12:29 am

Zmill wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:I'm weary of going after Noel. Knee injuries are the career killers of big men (and basketball players in general). Just look at Greg Oden, Yao Ming, Andrew Bynum. Constant knee problems that reoccur over and over again. Big men who hurt their knees early in their careers tend to become injury prone (too lazy to do the research to see if i'm actually right, lol, but that's my impression).

You don't see any physical difference between Nerlens Noel and Oden, Yao, Bynum etc. that would make knee injuries harder to recover from?

Thank you for saving me the time. Noel is 220 soaking wet, these guys are all 300+
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,697

Post#191 » by Viper1500 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 5:49 am

Sac and New Orleans will both be looking to draft Smart, imo
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#192 » by OrlandoMagician » Sun Mar 3, 2013 7:31 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that, if we decide we want to draft a SG (perhaps if we're trading Afflalo), we should take Oladipo or Shabazz before we consider McLemore? Oladipo has elite defensive, attack the basket type potential, while Shabazz has fill-it-up scorer potential. I find McLemore too passive, by comparison.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#193 » by shadrock » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:29 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
magicman123 wrote:

Liggins may be in the league longer than Noel will be.

Noel may develop into the best PG the NBA has ever seen!

Not likely though is it!?
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#194 » by shadrock » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:34 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:I've decided that if we get the #1 or #2 pick, I only really want Smart or Noel.

Why? Give me some reasons...

Im not criticising by the way, just wondering what leads you to that decision...
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#195 » by shadrock » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:40 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that, if we decide we want to draft a SG (perhaps if we're trading Afflalo), we should take Oladipo or Shabazz before we consider McLemore? Oladipo has elite defensive, attack the basket type potential, while Shabazz has fill-it-up scorer potential. I find McLemore too passive, by comparison.

No, im with you there. Wholeheartedly agree we should take a risk with Oladipo. And when i say risk, it would be a very calculated risk. The things we know we will get from Oladipo are elite level defense, hustle, elite athleticism/speed, and solid perimeter shooting. Now even if this is all he turns out to be, that is still a valuable asset to have, and he would not be a bust. He would spread the floor with his shooting, and disrupt things at the other end. Could easily be a Tony Allen type. Now, when you consider the best case scenario is where things get quite scary. The guy could be crazy crazy good if he can develop a few things, and from all indications, hes a workhorse, so i dont doubt he can improve.

As far as Shabazz, you know he is going to score, and regardless to what else he provides, scoring from the wing is valuable to any team. He also has great work ethic and is a proven winner.

I would far prefer us to take Shabazz or Oladipo to any other SG in the draft.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,113

Post#196 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Mar 4, 2013 3:14 am

A lot can change in 2 more months of college basketball as well as draft combines, but right now I'm most comfortable with selecting Smart or Noel.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Neon1
RealGM

Post#197 » by Neon1 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:01 am

If we get a top 2 pick, Im also on the 2 man race bandwagon. Noel or Smart, Smart or Noel. Whichever one we select, you wont hear a bitch out of me.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by shadrock » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:41 am

Neon1 wrote:If we get a top 2 pick, Im also on the 2 man race bandwagon. Noel or Smart, Smart or Noel. Whichever one we select, you wont hear a bitch out of me.

Who do you see as an NBA comparison for Noel? Serge Ibaka?
Neon1
RealGM

Post#199 » by Neon1 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:42 am

shadrock wrote:
Neon1 wrote:If we get a top 2 pick, Im also on the 2 man race bandwagon. Noel or Smart, Smart or Noel. Whichever one we select, you wont hear a bitch out of me.

A Camby/Ibaka/Chandler type.

SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#200 » by SmiteaDwight » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:46 am

Neon1 wrote:
shadrock wrote:

A Camby/Ibaka/Chandler type.
That's a good camparison. I also like Nbadraft.net's comparison of Larry Sanders.

Return to Orlando Magic