ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edition)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edit 

Post#1221 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:21 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:Wages of Wins: Winners and losers at the deadline
Losers

Orlando Magic

Things are rotten in the Magic kingdom. Using the simplest of methods (again, only using this season’s numbers and not accounting for minute allocation, positions played, depth charts, etc), the Magic suffered the largest swing in wins at the trade deadline. They traded away the most productive player in the day’s deals (J.J. Redick), and sent him away with two normally productive and currently underused big men (Gustavo Ayon and Josh McRoberts). In return, they recieved Doron Lamb and Hakim Warrick, who rank 9th and 16th in losses produced this season (that’s bad). They added salary for this season and saved practically nothing in the long run. At least they didn’t trade away Vucevic.

The worst part is that someone in the comments pointed out that we essentially turned Ryan Anderson into Beno Udrih. That kind of made me sad.

Thats a terrible analysis.
aka: prorl
ZeusIsLoose
Senior
And1: 234

Post#1222 » by ZeusIsLoose » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Losers

Orlando Magic

Things are rotten in the Magic kingdom. Using the simplest of methods (again, only using this season’s numbers and not accounting for minute allocation, positions played, depth charts, etc), the Magic suffered the largest swing in wins at the trade deadline. They traded away the most productive player in the day’s deals (J.J. Redick), and sent him away with two normally productive and currently underused big men (Gustavo Ayon and Josh McRoberts). In return, they recieved Doron Lamb and Hakim Warrick, who rank 9th and 16th in losses produced this season (that’s bad). They added salary for this season and saved practically nothing in the long run. At least they didn’t trade away Vucevic.

The worst part is that someone in the comments pointed out that we essentially turned Ryan Anderson into Beno Udrih. That kind of made me sad.

ESPN and SI have us as winners. ESPN gave us a B and SI states that Tobias is the winner in the trade scenario. Wages of Wins? What the fck is that anyways? Turning Ryan in to Beno is far from what is going on. And adding salary this year doesnt really matter. Not when you have an owner willing to spend, and not when you are STILL paying Gilbert Arenas. Taking on additional salary for this year is the least of our worries. And yes, we did save ourselves from committing 10 mil a year for 4 years in a role player. Pretty sure thats savings in the long run.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1223 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:32 pm

ZeusIsLoose wrote:
Losers

Orlando Magic

ESPN and SI have us as winners. ESPN gave us a B and SI states that Tobias is the winner in the trade scenario. Wages of Wins? What the fck is that anyways? Turning Ryan in to Beno is far from what is going on. And adding salary this year doesnt really matter. Not when you have an owner willing to spend, and not when you are STILL paying Gilbert Arenas. Taking on additional salary for this year is the least of our worries. And yes, we did save ourselves from committing 10 mil a year for 4 years in a role player. Pretty sure thats savings in the long run.

At least they admitted to just judging based on play this year. There is no denying that JJ was the best player traded yesterday and that we were the ones who lost him. There has to be some outlet to judge based on right now.
bigmoe1952
Junior
And1: 23

Post#1224 » by bigmoe1952 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Not a big believer in MKG just yet. I think that Vuc is outplaying most if not all players on that list.

I know what you mean, I think he has a high ceiling, but could also flatten out and be Arriza 2.0

The best part of MKG is hat he knows he can't shoot, so he doesn't.

For today:
Vucevic>>Kemba>>MKG>Harkless>Nicholson>O'Quinn
I actually think that the MKG, Harkless, Drew cluster is too jumbled to pick a clear winner right now but I think MKG has the edge for today.

As far as futures, I would say:
O'Quinn>Vucevic>Kemba>Moe=Nicholson>MKG>>Biyambo

I rate Kyle so highly because his per minute numbers have been best by far and he actually blocks shots (4.9% this year compared to Dwight's career 4.5%). I just see him as a guy who will last 10 years in the league no matter what.

I agree. I really think O'Quinn really has a big upside. Hopefully he gets more court time.
THAT'LL BE THE DAY!
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#1225 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:

Your analysis of that analysis is spot on! :D
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#1226 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:02 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

It is really hard to analyze when you have such young players that are unproven. They could bomb or break out. Thus, their needs to be time to develop then determine the success of this trade.

But, if they end up being a bust, then the Magic could be doomed to bottom feeding hell.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#1227 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

It is really hard to analyze when you have such young players that are unproven. They could bomb or break out. Thus, their needs to be time to develop then determine the success of this trade.

But, if they end up being a bust, then the Magic could be doomed to bottom feeding hell.

I got a feeling that wont happen. Rob and his team know what they are doing. They have a good plan and a good eye.
aka: prorl
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#1228 » by OrlDave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Well, in the context of THIS trade I think it's hard for the Magic to ever be the losers. You trade a guy you likely were never going to resign due to cost and get a couple cheap guys on rookie contracts and an expiring. Even the worst case is paying a couple guys next to nothing to rot on the bench for a couple years.
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#1229 » by Javanar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Losers

Orlando Magic

Yeah a child can make this kind of analysis : Orlando sent Redick and players they got are not as productive as Redick.

Cap space, young talent, free agency, rebuilding, future plans... Where are they?

And about Ryno... Ryno is young and he is on a good contract. He deserves his contract and he is a valuable asset for New Orleans. I think it was the first mistake by Henny to S&T him for Ayon. If we were able to keep Ryno and did not get Harrington, it would make more sense.

Past is past. It is AN's time to show himself in PF position.
I am not a native English speaker...
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#1230 » by glennathan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Tayswagzzz wrote:I'm assuming the large TPE you all are talking about is the one from Howard? When does that expire?

The large TPE expires 08/19/13
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
glennathan
Lead Assistant

Post#1231 » by glennathan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:52 pm

OrlDave wrote:In case you missed Henny's press con. Apparently the deal was literally made at 2:56.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuhffAxxa-E[/youtube]

That is crazy close to the deadline. Hennigan stated he would give JJ a call before any trade was proposed and thus he did.

glennathan
Lead Assistant

Post#1232 » by glennathan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:03 pm

“@Andrew_Melnick: Last time Orlando played Memphis, they started Daniel Orton, Earl Clark, Hedo Turkoglu, Von Wafer and Chris Duhon.”

Wow... Trade killed our depth lol

Tonight we start Moore, Afflalo, Harkless, Nicholson, Vucevic

dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#1233 » by dsg2003mach1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:10 pm

I dont even know what to think about all this...sucks having to wait a couple of years to find out if Henny is brilliant, incompetent or somewhere in between
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#1234 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Moore, AA, Hark, AN, Vuc > Duhon, Wafer, Turk, Earl, DOderant
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1235 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:13 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:I dont even know what to think about all this...sucks having to wait a couple of years to find out if Henny is brilliant, incompetent or somewhere in between

Exactly my train of thought. I don't have the patience for losing. I don't believe in losing, period. But, I don't expect this squad to win, regardless. But, they aren't even putting up a fight anymore losing by at least 15 every game.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#1236 » by dsg2003mach1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
dsg2003mach1 wrote:I dont even know what to think about all this...sucks having to wait a couple of years to find out if Henny is brilliant, incompetent or somewhere in between

Exactly my train of thought. I don't have the patience for losing. I don't believe in losing, period. But, I don't expect this squad to win, regardless. But, they aren't even putting up a fight anymore losing by at least 15 every game.

ya...up until baby went down it was going fine, losing by 5,6,7 points is one thing as they were at least in the game for most of it...being blown outta the gym isnt something Im gonna subject myself to. They won 18 games their very first season as an organization and here we are 23 years later and might not even win that many
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#1237 » by Tayswagzzz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

glennathan wrote:
Tayswagzzz wrote:I'm assuming the large TPE you all are talking about is the one from Howard? When does that expire?

Hennigan has some choices to be made..we could be a playoff team next season with that TPE on a FA..not exactly sure if we'd be title contenders..or we continue the path we're on and tank another season..decisions decisions..
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1238 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 pm

OrlDave wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Well, in the context of THIS trade I think it's hard for the Magic to ever be the losers. You trade a guy you likely were never going to resign due to cost and get a couple cheap guys on rookie contracts and an expiring. Even the worst case is paying a couple guys next to nothing to rot on the bench for a couple years.

I disagree. Nobody ever stated that they would never resign Redick. He could have been resigned or just let him go as an expiring for more cap space. But, Magic got that cap space back in Udrih, thus the Magic got the better end of the deal because they got both cap space and two promising players. But, I doubt Lamb will be kept as he looks worse than Harper out there.

Low risk, high reward. Because, even if Lamb and Harris don't make the cut, the Magic still got their cap space.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
glennathan
Lead Assistant

Post#1239 » by glennathan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Tayswagzzz wrote:
glennathan wrote:

Hennigan has some choices to be made..we could be a playoff team next season with that TPE on a FA..not exactly sure if we'd be title contenders..or we continue the path we're on and tank another season..decisions decisions..

If he won't let a 4 million TPE expire I highly doubt he lets the 17 million TPE expire.

We will see moves done in the offseason just gotta see what he has in store

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#1240 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:04 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I disagree. Nobody ever stated that they would never resign Redick. He could have been resigned or just let him go as an expiring for more cap space. But, Magic got that cap space back in Udrih, thus the Magic got the better end of the deal because they got both cap space and two promising players. But, I doubt Lamb will be kept as he looks worse than Harper out there.

Low risk, high reward. Because, even if Lamb and Harris don't make the cut, the Magic still got their cap space.

you know, the Magic still can sign Redick in the off-season. They can make offers like all the other teams.
FWIW

Return to Orlando Magic