ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edition)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edit 

Post#61 » by RickB-Orlando » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 pm

MrOrlando wrote:If Orlando trades Redick, I believe Afflalo will be right behind him. Why move such a reliable player like Redick, but keep Afflalo? Does Orlando see that they have two similarly producing players, and are just parting with the one that will fetch them a better deal?

I cannot imagine that AA fits into Orlando's long term plan.

I suppose that's possible if we trade formShumpert, since you essentially still have the same problem - two starting caliber shooting guards and no small forward reallynreadynfor meaningful NBA minutes.

If the Bucks trade happens, the real upside is you then have a staring 3 in Mboute and can hand the 2 to Afflalomto either thrive or fail. I don't see AA getting traded if the Bucks deal happens.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#62 » by tiderulz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
MagicFan41 wrote:I'm thinking that ATL trades Josh Smith for Monta, and then makes a big run at Dwight this summer. What they probably should do is look at trading Horford for Monta, cuz then you'll have a team with nothing but Dwight buddies! Haha

Lou Will
Monta
JSmith
?
Dwight

(those are some of his BFFs), and a pretty solid team as well.

How can JSmith be traded and still be in ATL???

read his 2nd sentence.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#63 » by Furinkazan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 pm

seems like another Otis type of deal

taking someones bad contract is worth a pick alone...
but we gotta add JJ too ?
so we could get a crappy pick :D ?
Jesus

Otis r u there?
reminds me suns trade...
not only we take bad contract of turk but we also had to give them our pick :lol:

so could we take all of your bad contracts plz?:D
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by RickB-Orlando » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm

MagicFan41 wrote:
pogiro wrote:
trebone wrote:I dont why everyone here is so juiced to move Redick for a mid 1st, I would think AA has the same value and unless JJ has said behind closed doors he will "explore" FA you move Afflalo

J.J.'s a free agent. Say we keep him, and he's courted by other teams. I really don't like our chances. For one, he'll likely sign with a contender. Two, he's not dumb. If he signs here with the Magic going through a transition period, he loses control of his destination. If I were him, I'd sign some place that I know had me in their long-term plans and not just brought back as a trade chip. I wouldn't feel that confident that he'd finish his new contract in Orlando if he re-signed.

Maybe, maybe not, but he has made it pretty clear he wants to stay here. Publicly, many times. I don't know what is going on behind closed doors, but I am sure JJ isn't demanding a trade either. Even if he did get the urge to want to be moved to a contender during the rebuild, I am sure he would have enough class to let Hennigan know privately and not kill all his trade value like Douche Howard.

I agree with this. Redick isn't likely to say one thing and do another.
MagicFan41
Sixth Man
And1: 163

Post#65 » by MagicFan41 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan41 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Not if a trade makes the team better.

Eh, it depends on how much better. There is something to loyalty and emotional connections, even in sports. Just in the same way that you shouldn't cheat on your wife if somebody slightly hotter comes along and offers it...

That being said, what are the ACTUAL rules (anybody KNOW, no guessing) about trading him for assets and then he simply walks in the summer and comes back and signs with us? I read that the new CBA restricts it for a year "if the player is traded and then waived", but if he isn't waived, can't JJ simply come back? I know it might not be kosher, but is it legal within the CBA?

the same loyalty that had JJ sign a sheet to go play with the Bulls?

He knew we could match it if we wanted. Plus, Otis was the one that came out and said he would let the market set the price for JJ (that was always his policy). Otis didn't come to an agreement with him on a contract because that was Otis' MO. This was also during the time when JJ wasn't getting substantial playing time and hadn't become as integral a part of this franchise/community. He never came out and said the things he is saying now. I'm not saying if we get a star in return to not bite, but if it's a bit of a "this might make us a lil better" then I say no. Which it sort of looks like the case is with these Shump/Mbah a Moute rumors.
pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Post#66 » by pogiro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm

MagicFan41 wrote:
pogiro wrote:
trebone wrote:I dont why everyone here is so juiced to move Redick for a mid 1st, I would think AA has the same value and unless JJ has said behind closed doors he will "explore" FA you move Afflalo

J.J.'s a free agent. Say we keep him, and he's courted by other teams. I really don't like our chances. For one, he'll likely sign with a contender. Two, he's not dumb. If he signs here with the Magic going through a transition period, he loses control of his destination. If I were him, I'd sign some place that I know had me in their long-term plans and not just brought back as a trade chip. I wouldn't feel that confident that he'd finish his new contract in Orlando if he re-signed.

Maybe, maybe not, but he has made it pretty clear he wants to stay here. Publicly, many times. I don't know what is going on behind closed doors, but I am sure JJ isn't demanding a trade either. Even if he did get the urge to want to be moved to a contender during the rebuild, I am sure he would have enough class to let Hennigan know privately and not kill all his trade value like Douche Howard.

He's also aware that it's a business. He understands the Magic are handling it as a business, and when it comes down to it, you can only expect J.J. to handle it the same way when he decides. Sure he's saying all the right things now, and not to say that we shouldn't trust him, but the man can always change his mind. I don't see a huge benefit in bringing him back anyways. He's just not what the Magic need right now. That combined with the uncertainty, might as well trade. It's the best for both sides.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Post#67 » by MasterGMer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
MrOrlando wrote:If Orlando trades Redick, I believe Afflalo will be right behind him. Why move such a reliable player like Redick, but keep Afflalo? Does Orlando see that they have two similarly producing players, and are just parting with the one that will fetch them a better deal?

I cannot imagine that AA fits into Orlando's long term plan.

I suppose that's possible if we trade formShumpert, since you essentially still have the same problem - two starting caliber shooting guards and no small forward reallynreadynfor meaningful NBA minutes.

If the Bucks trade happens, the real upside is you then have a staring 3 in Mboute and can hand the 2 to Afflalomto either thrive or fail. I don't see AA getting traded if the Bucks deal happens.

I am new here and haven't known you guys. But what is the logic of trading AA? I thought he was the guy Magic wants from Dwight trade. Soon enough to tell he is not the guy already?
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by RickB-Orlando » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan41 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Not if a trade makes the team better.

Eh, it depends on how much better. There is something to loyalty and emotional connections, even in sports. Just in the same way that you shouldn't cheat on your wife if somebody slightly hotter comes along and offers it...

That being said, what are the ACTUAL rules (anybody KNOW, no guessing) about trading him for assets and then he simply walks in the summer and comes back and signs with us? I read that the new CBA restricts it for a year "if the player is traded and then waived", but if he isn't waived, can't JJ simply come back? I know it might not be kosher, but is it legal within the CBA?

the same loyalty that had JJ sign a sheet to go play with the Bulls?

I seem to recall Otis wanting to see what his street value was before making an offer. I doubt Henny takes the same approach, primarily because Henny is not a complete idiot.
MagicFan41
Sixth Man
And1: 163

Post#69 » by MagicFan41 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

pogiro wrote:
He's also aware that it's a business. He understands the Magic are handling it as a business, and when it comes down to it, you can only expect J.J. to handle it the same way when he decides. Sure he's saying all the right things now, and not to say that we shouldn't trust him, but the man can always change his mind. I don't see a huge benefit in bringing him back anyways. He's just not what the Magic need right now. That combined with the uncertainty, might as well trade. It's the best for both sides.

I didn't say that he wasn't aware of that it is a business (he has said this numerous times) or not he might not sign elsewhere this summer. I simply said that his heart clearly lies here, he wants to be here, his wife wants to be here, the fans want him here. What was said was "what if we re-sign him and then he wants to leave shortly after". I was simply saying that I don't think that's much risk. In fact, I think he is MORE tradeable after a re-signed contract, because teams like the Bucks/Pacers/Bulls etc won't have to worry whether or not he will re-sign with them like they are worried about this summer.

My main point is...how does his trade value really decrease if we re-sign him? It doesn't. It increases. These teams calling aren't looking for an expiring, they are looking to keep JJ. So with a contract that has quite a few guaranteed years left, he becomes more valuable to that team I would think.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#70 » by OrlandO » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Redick on February 18:
``As far as I know, with the two conversations that I’ve had with Rob, and with Rob and Arn (his agent) talking, both sides are open to continuing this relationship,’’ Redick said. ``I think that’s the best way to put it, but this is a business and they have to make the best decision for them.’’

Not sure why people insist he's more likely to leave than stay. All season he's made it sounds like he's happy here and it's basically up to Henny. I don't think JJ is the type of player that would lie about staying here. And if JJ's willing to stay, Henny would have to receive a crazy return to trade him this season instead of a year from now when JJ is more valuable in a locked contract.
pogiro
Rookie

Post#71 » by pogiro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 pm

MagicFan41 wrote:I didn't say that he wasn't aware of that it is a business (he has said this numerous times) or not he might not sign elsewhere this summer. I simply said that his heart clearly lies here, he wants to be here, his wife wants to be here, the fans want him here. What was said was "what if we re-sign him and then he wants to leave shortly after". I was simply saying that I don't think that's much risk. In fact, I think he is MORE tradeable after a re-signed contract, because teams like the Bucks/Pacers/Bulls etc won't have to worry whether or not he will re-sign with them like they are worried about this summer.

I did not mean to And 1 your post. Haha.

I know he said it, that's why I mentioned it. And that's why I think that you can't just count on his heart being in Orlando. Because when it comes down to it, his business sense might take over, and IMO, the better business decision for him is to sign elsewhere. So I'm not disagreeing with you, I know what he's been saying. I'm just saying, the smarter thing to do is trade J.J. now. That way he can at least decide if he's going to resign or sign elsewhere, and let that uncertainty be his next team's problem. What would be messed up is if we resign him, taking advantage of his loyalty to Orlando, and then trade him, possibly somewhere he may not want to go.
SEBAS-07
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#72 » by SEBAS-07 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 pm

Is Epke Udoh any good?

Something like Epke Udoh, Mbah A Moute, picks(1,2) for Redick,Mcroberts, and Ish Smith

I`m not an Ish Smith fan, opening a roster spot would be better than having him.
Smart / Micic / D. Wright
Wiggins / Exum / J. Adams
Parker / K. Anderson / Mcdermott
Randle / Vonleh / Stokes
Embiid / Nurkic/ Tavares
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#73 » by MagicTownBaller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm

I'll update the stats when I come home arsenal.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Carlos Arroyo
Pro Prospect
And1: 126

Post#74 » by Carlos Arroyo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:I'll update the stats when I come home arsenal.

u better or else!!
pogiro
Rookie

Post#75 » by pogiro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 pm

OrlandO wrote:Redick on February 18:
``As far as I know, with the two conversations that I’ve had with Rob, and with Rob and Arn (his agent) talking, both sides are open to continuing this relationship,’’ Redick said. ``I think that’s the best way to put it, but this is a business and they have to make the best decision for them.’’

Not sure why people insist he's more likely to leave than stay. All season he's made it sounds like he's happy here and it's basically up to Henny. I don't think JJ is the type of player that would lie about staying here. And if JJ's willing to stay, Henny would have to receive a crazy return to trade him this season instead of a year from now when JJ is more valuable in a locked contract.

I like how some of you guys harp on J.J. saying he'd like to stay in Orlando, and then turn around say "we can trade him when he's more valuable", heh.

I don't think anyone is saying he's more likely to leave. At least I'm not. But if we were to bring him back, how much would he be paid? On top of that, what's the vision? J.J.'s not exactly a franchise player. He's not someone you build a team around. He's not irreplaceable. And the guy's 28. Realistically, how old will he be once we're in contention? The guys that want to keep him, just answer me, why? Don't you think J.J. is better served on a contender? Or do you want him to waste his prime in a rebuilding process? Don't you think the Magic are better served with a draft pick and/or a younger player with more promise? Talk about veteran leadership all you want. You can always sign veteran leadership in free agency. But we need to focus on bringing in potential stars via draft picks and youth. We lost our cornerstone, we need to find another. If trading J.J. improves our chances in doing so, do it.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#76 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 pm

I read someone say Magic should trade AA for Butler from the Clippers and a pick.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,033

Post#77 » by dsg2021 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 pm

I would rather keep JJ. He and Afflalo would not be too much salary and would fit perfectly as vets around a young core. JJs game will age very well which is why a lot of teams want him.

The only way I see a deal is if the Magic see some huge potential in players like with Shump or a 14-17 range pick in a reportedly weak draft; like a Burke, Ledo, Oladipo, Kabongo etc. which is gambling a little for a mid pick. Not discounting Luc who I've thought as an elite defender at SF and would fit great here, but Luc is not rimming with offensive potential and we could get Min's likely 10-16 pick.

So are the Magic sure there is someone falling 14-17 that they want with getting Luc as Moe's rotation SF partner. If Min's pick is a typical top 5 protected pick, but they finish just inside the lottery, there would still be a chance the lottery luck puts it in the top 5-10 range, making it a bigger draft hit most likely. I do like the idea of Moe learning off Luc until Moe can get even better, and I could see PGs specifically dropping to 14-17 range like Kabongo and Burke. But we'd really miss JJ on the court and as a fanbase too.
pogiro
Rookie

Post#78 » by pogiro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 pm

SEBAS-07 wrote:Is Epke Udoh any good?

Something like Epke Udoh, Mbah A Moute, picks(1,2) for Redick,Mcroberts, and Ish Smith

I`m not an Ish Smith fan, opening a roster spot would be better than having him.

I threw out the idea of Ekpe, Henson, and a 1st rd pick for J.J. not too long ago. I like Ekpe. He's a good blocker, and they already have Larry Sanders, so I can't see the Bucks fighting for him too hard. Figured he's a player we could get if we demanded him.
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#79 » by mbn23 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Luc = BBD 2.0

I hate BBD. I want him gone
Just Sayin
liquid_softgel
Junior
And1: 19

Post#80 » by liquid_softgel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm

If we trade JJ I'll spend the next few weeks crying and drinking at all hours of the day. #fandom #irrational #Idon'treallylikeafflalo

Return to Orlando Magic