ImageImageImageImage

The Tobias Harris Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Re: The Tobias Harris Thread 

Post#41 » by Tarot Magician » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 am

His father was adamant that Harris had played the 3 his whole life and played out of position at Tennessee. "We modeled his game after George Gervin and Adrian Dantley"

Much lower scoring output, but based on everything I've read, he does seem to have shades of AD. Like a poor man's AD.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,576

Post#42 » by JayMKE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 am

Tobias never got consistent playing time so it's hard to say he's incapable of playing D. The effort is there and he's only 20 years old.
FREE GIANNIS
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#43 » by Def Swami » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:07 am

Tobias Harris ‏@tobias31
Gonna miss it all here .... But I can't wait to get to Orlando!!
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach
And1: 172

Post#44 » by arkknight1988 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 am

He seems awkward on the court but if his game is effective then I can't hate
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#45 » by OrlandoMagician » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:12 am

CourtsideTV wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNireoJYV5I[/youtube]

What was his stat line in that game??
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#46 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:
CourtsideTV wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNireoJYV5I[/youtube]

What was his stat line in that game??

18 and 6
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#47 » by TNMagicFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 am

As a Vol fan I am very happy with this trade . Tobias is a very talented young player . I think Magic fan will enjoy watching him play
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#48 » by Ayt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 am

Zmill wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Bucks fan here; I would much rather have tossed you the 1st than Tobes. He is an extremely driven man, hard worker and showed flashes of domination, albeit in summer league. He has a really awkward style that makes him tough to compare to other players, all the while maintaining great upper body control and a soft touch.

In Summer league, we saw him develop his above the rim game, which had us all drooling over what he might become. Then the season started, and he was basically instantly demoted and never saw the duty except for mop up time. There are a lot of concerns over his foot speed/quickness, but I think they are over blown. I think he was a guy that was never asked to play defense and will need to spend a lot of time committing to learning how to do it, but he definitely has the ethic to do it.

He is also a very very efficient scorer, but as I mentioned, it looks awkward.

I know that I , and quite a few other Tobe fans will be watching his career with great interest....I really believe that we are going to regret this trade. If JJ resigns it softens the blow.

So what can you tell me about Ish and Ayon, what do we have to look forward to?

From what I have read, the general perception of Harris is that he is a talented offensive player particularly in the paint and that his shot, defense, and quickness need work. What separates him from all the other tweener 3-4 prospects that come through the NBA? How would you rate his BBIQ?

And Ish is one of the worst PGs in the league. Can't shoot and gets very out of control. Ayon is a serviceable cheap big that will throw up some shots that will make your head ache, but will play aggressive defense and throw great passes.

First of all, he's still a very young player. According to a search I did on BR recently, he's the 11th youngest player in the league this year despite it being his second season.

I would say that his shot is fine. It can certainly get better, but it also isn't a weakness. He can spot up for three and he also has a pull up in the midrange game he can bring out. His main offensive asset is his ability to post. He has a very advanced post game for such a young player, particularly for a SF. He has a strong body and knows how to use it. He can also finish with both hands with different types of hooks and layups. I imagine a lot of you guys will be really impressed with his post game and his ability to finish strong right off the bat. I found myself saying, "Damn. Nice finish" many times while watching him play.

Beyond that, he's a good off the ball player. We moronically used him as a starter this year with the Chuck Twins hogging the ball with Tobias standing in the corner. Despite that, he showed many different times that he had good awareness off the ball and that he could make cuts to the rim for layup attempts. With some decent passers, he could be a guy who creates a lot of good looks because he knows how to get himself open around the rim. He also runs the court hard which created some easy looks for him. After the starting assignment failed, I wanted to see him play with the second unit with some shooters while giving him post attempts, but he was buried after we removed him from the starting lineup and barely played at all other than garbage minutes.

His main flaw right now is D. He plays hard and, as mentioned, plays strong, but his footwork is terrible on the ball and he'd often let himself get a step out of position off the ball which could lead to open shots or catch and drive type moves to take advantage of him. If Tobes made any type of defensive error, Skiles would pull him for the rest of the half which is why his minutes look so weird even though he was starting. It was "one wrong move and your done" type of BS that is the exact opposite of how you should treat a player like Tobias. He needs experience as a perimeter defender against NBA caliber athletes. It really bothered me we didn't send him to the D-League just to get minutes and work on his defensive fundamentals. I could see him ending up being a solid defender because he's a hard worker and he certainly has the body to handle almost any SF physically.

Another slight weakness is his ball handling, though it isn't a huge issue. He's just not the kind of guy you are going to see starting out by the three point line then make some fancy moves to beat his man to the rim. I'd kind of compare him to a guy like Luol Deng in that regard. He'll occasionally make a move that takes him all the way to the rack for a layup or dunk, but he's not a guy who can consistently create offense for himself facing up from the three point line like a guard. Facing up in the post is a different story.

I was really high on Harris after what he showed in the glimpses we got to see. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he becomes an 18+ PPG old school style scoring SF with solid rebounding. There are many things he needs to improve, mainly defensively, but he's extremely young and he already has an important NBA level offensive skill considering how good he is with the ball around the paint.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#49 » by Bensational » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 am

he's like a power SF, kind of like a SF version of BBD, without the fat, or rebounding ability.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#50 » by SmiteaDwight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 am

Just so that you guys know what you're getting in the deal in Ayon and Ish

Ayon: Painful player to watch, I'am really, really glad he's gone. Not really good at anything. Thinks he's steve nash with passes, forgets hes 6'10 and will force passes when he should shoot it next to the basket. Has no idea how to play defense. At all. Not athlete, just a really pitiful player, iam sorry you have him.

As for Ish, He could be a solid starter in the nba if he could just make a jumpshot. He has ELITE ballhandling skills, is a good passer and a surprising athlete who can dunk on you even at his height. His problem is that he cant shoot at all and makes questionable decisions. At this point his ack of shooting is so bad that he never, ever scores, although he will create shots with his speed.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#51 » by SmiteaDwight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 am

I dont get it, so Harris cant really shoot and he isnt a good athlete, but he can score somehow?

Can he do antwan jamison bulsht shots or something?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,588

Post#52 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:24 am

Treat him well Orlando. I'm going to miss him. Look forward to watching his career progress with you guys. Hopefully he becomes the player I expect him to be.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#53 » by Ayt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:30 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:I dont get it, so Harris cant really shoot and he isnt a good athlete, but he can score somehow?

He's a good athlete and he has a decent shot. I don't know why anyone would characterize him differently. He's particularly explosive and strong around the rim.

Here's a couple dunks from the SL that shows off his athleticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3x6cEU ... page#t=34s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qXzxBQrYqs
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#54 » by NickAnderson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:Just so that you guys know what you're getting in the deal in Ayon and Ish

Ayon: Painful player to watch, I'am really, really glad he's gone. Not really good at anything. Thinks he's steve nash with passes, forgets hes 6'10 and will force passes when he should shoot it next to the basket. Has no idea how to play defense. At all. Not athlete, just a really pitiful player, iam sorry you have him.

As for Ish, He could be a solid starter in the nba if he could just make a jumpshot. He has ELITE ballhandling skills, is a good passer and a surprising athlete who can dunk on you even at his height. His problem is that he cant shoot at all and makes questionable decisions. At this point his ack of shooting is so bad that he never, ever scores, although he will create shots with his speed.

You must be smoking that ggggooooooddddd stuff. Wow
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#55 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:I dont get it, so Harris cant really shoot and he isnt a good athlete, but he can score somehow?

He is built like Paul Pierce it seems. Hopefully he can become as crafty as Pierce has in his career.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#56 » by SmiteaDwight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:49 am

NickAnderson wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:Just so that you guys know what you're getting in the deal in Ayon and Ish

ish is a sick ballhandler, and has a tight crossover. I stand by this statement.
Orlando Prodigy
Senior
And1: 112

Post#57 » by Orlando Prodigy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 am

He's taking #12. T12!
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#58 » by SmiteaDwight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 am

Ayt wrote:

He's a good athlete and he has a decent shot. I don't know why anyone would characterize him differently. He's particularly explosive and strong around the rim.

Here's a couple dunks from the SL that shows off his athleticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3x6cEU ... page#t=34s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... qXzxBQrYqs

He made 6 three pointers all last season. apparently the highlight video that was posted earlier shows him making 2 of them. We cant rely on him to reliably make 3 point shots. He's shooting 33% this season, but has only taken 21 all season.

Based on his highlights, he seems alot like Harkless, youth and everything.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#59 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:
NickAnderson wrote:

ish is a sick ballhandler, and has a tight crossover. I stand by this statement.

I also agree, Ish is has good handle and can have a nice ast/to ratio if given a role and time.
Truemaster15
Starter
And1: 3

Post#60 » by Truemaster15 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 am

He looks like that fat kid from hardball.. who remembers that movie?

Formely known as Truemaster15/BillyHill/THESASSINATOR

Return to Orlando Magic