ImageImageImageImage

The Tobias Harris Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Re: The Tobias Harris Thread 

Post#141 » by drsd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 am

As I said well above, Harris and Harkless should really push each other in the off-season, in the summer camps, and in the pre-season. Only one will win the starting job, but both will be better NBA players from this competition.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#142 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 am

I think we should give him more than one game before we cement who he will be. He looks like he has a better handle than Josh Smith, and I bet he will also be a better shooter. Apparently he also has a post game.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#143 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:I think we should give him more than one game before we cement who he will be.

I agree. I don't know how we could make assumptions off of one game in which we were blown out and where he did most of his damage in garbage time. I really enjoyed the way he played, he looked good out there, better than I expected. But, it's still too early to say anything IMO.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#144 » by OrlandO » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:35 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:I think we should give him more than one game before we cement who he will be.

I agree. I don't know how we could make assumptions off of one game in which we were blown out and where he did most of his damage in garbage time. I really enjoyed the way he played, he looked good out there, better than I expected. But, it's still too early to say anything IMO.

It wouldn't be the realgm magic board without premature hype and excitement... :lol:
So far so good though.
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#145 » by OrlandoMagician » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic
Opponents shot 27.5% from the field against Harris.

Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic
Small sample size (just 115 plays guarded), but w/ Bucks, Tobias Harris only allowed 0.64 points per play. 6th-best figure in the league.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#146 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 am

OrlandoMagician wrote:
Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic

Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic
Small sample size (just 115 plays guarded), but w/ Bucks, Tobias Harris only allowed 0.64 points per play. 6th-best figure in the league.

That's encouraging. I didn't know he was a good defender. I read some of the posts on the Bucks board and they seemed to praise his offense... I never really saw anything about his defense. That's a nice surprise if he could do that consistently. I guess we'll see.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
truebluelover
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#147 » by truebluelover » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 am

Could anyone foresee the minutes divided between Harkless and Harris?
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#148 » by Neon1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 am

The Real Dalic wrote:

I for one are not basing anything off one game. The kid has played 71 games and 829 mins in the NBA. And his one season for Tennessee. Most people that study the draft and young players around the league already knew who the guy was and have seen him before Saturday night.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#149 » by MoMM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
OrlandoMagician wrote:
Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic

Evan Dunlap ‏@BQRMagic

That's encouraging. I didn't know he was a good defender. I read some of the posts on the Bucks board and they seemed to praise his offense... I never really saw anything about his defense. That's a nice surprise if he could do that consistently. I guess we'll see.

In fact, their fans even said he is BAD on D, these stats are strange.
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#150 » by mojosodope » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

MoMM wrote:In fact, their fans even said he is BAD on D, these stats are strange.

I think the bad defense claim was a little bit of Bucks propaganda, simply because he was playing alongside Jennings and Ellis and it was a little easier for Skilles to play a defensive minded forward like Luc Richard whos lack of offense fits in perfectly with those high volume shooters.
Supreme
Starter
And1: 338

Post#151 » by Supreme » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 pm

I like that off the dribble move he's got. The question is...can he go left with it too?
grayson11
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#152 » by grayson11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Supreme wrote:I like that off the dribble move he's got. The question is...can he go left with it too?

More importantly, can he pull it off at all when the opposing defenders don't have Cleveland Cavaliers standard issue stone sneakers?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#153 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Popping in to say I did watch some of Harris in the 2nd half. Harris looked sweet out there at times being he didn't know the Magic guys very well. But, he has potential. Even if he ends up a 20-30mpg very solid backup on a playoff team, that would be about what JJ was for the Magic. Thus, trade was not that bad.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#154 » by RYgoBOOM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Popping in to say I did watch some of Harris in the 2nd half. Harris looked sweet out there at times being he didn't know the Magic guys very well. But, he has potential. Even if he ends up a 20-30mpg very solid backup on a playoff team, that would be about what JJ was for the Magic. Thus, trade was not that bad.

agreed x2.

Him instantly being a serviceable backup just makes the JJ leaving sting even less noticeable. For a 20 year old he seems to have his head in the right direction.

Henny with another combooooobreakkerrrrr on this deal
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#155 » by Ayt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
magicaroni wrote:What Tobias could be: Luol Deng

What he'll probably become: Ryan Gomes

Idk

Some Bucks fans compare him to Big Dog Robinson

He's much better off the bounce and is much more comfortable in the post compared to Deng. Deng is a very herky, jerky player while dribbling and he's too mechanical in the post. Tobes is a smooth player off the dribble -- you can see it when he is bringing the ball up court -- and he's very comfortable and controlled in the post.

magicaroni wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:
magicaroni wrote:What Tobias could be: Luol Deng

What he'll probably become: Ryan Gomes

Idk

Some Bucks fans compare him to Big Dog Robinson

He's no Glenn Robinson... that is an idiotic comparison for them to give him.

He is very athletic, and has a great build, but he is so unpolished offensively and his jumpshot is barely ahead of Moe Harkless at this point.

If I were coaching Tobias, i would have him working on a back to the basket game for the 3's he'd be facing, and a 15 foot face up game for the 4's he'd be facing. He needs to be utilizing his advantages against defenders. Not settling for threes. This kid is strong and athletic, and needs to play like it. IMO, he's more of a 4 than a 3.

No offense, but this is completely wrong. Like not even in the same universe wrong. His best asset is his very advanced offensive game for such a young player.

And he's never settled for threes. Only 1 out of every 6.5 shots he's taken in his career has been a three. He also doesn't take long range 2's (the worst shot in basketball).

Look at his shot chart. Almost all of his shots are midrange and in. Only 28 of his 125 attempts on the year have been from 16+ feet. Considering the Bucks ran no post plays for him and mainly had him hanging around the perimeter while they played the P&R game with their bigs and their guards, that is a limited amount of outside shots. On many sets, Skiles just had him stand in the corner like he was some sort of spot up shooter, which is really the only reason he has so many three point attempts. Check the shot chart below and you'll see all the corner threes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ting/2013/

The guy lives around the paint and just outside of it and he's already NBA ready as a scorer in that regard. He's going to have some really big scoring nights if you guys run some offense through him in his comfort zone.

G-Heel wrote:He got like almost no star potential, but I think he can be a good role player. Hopefully he'll turn into a good asset for us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's an All-Star caliber player in 3-5 years. The guy can flat out score. He can also rebound, and he has potential as a defender once he gets used to playing against NBA caliber wing players. On top of that, he's just a smart, hard working kid.

You'll see it once he gets integrated into your team a little more. It shouldn't take long. He'll probably have a 20+ point game in the next 5-10 games. My guess is sooner rather than later if he gets minutes.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#156 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:08 pm

In 8 years will Tobias Harris be as good as JJ was this year? In his own way, yes, he certainly will. Add to that we got Lamb and Beno, who may well contribute in the future.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#157 » by Ayt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:In 8 years will Tobias Harris be as good as JJ was this year? In his own way, yes, he certainly will. Add to that we got Lamb and Beno, who may well contribute in the future.

He could be your leading scorer as soon as next season depending upon how your roster shakes out. You guys aren't exactly loaded with offensive talent.

With another offseason and some time to integrate into your organization, he could be a high teens scorer next season. Depending upon how quickly he adapts and how many minutes you give him, he could do that the rest of this year. He's pretty easily the most talented scorer on your roster right now.

I obviously think the Bucks made a huge mistake in this trade, and I love Redick as a player for us. For me, it isn't even a question of "if" with Tobias. It has been a question of when. For us, I figured we'd just give him another offseason to work on his game then give him another shot at starting next year. Since he's been traded, the "when" has become now with a big step being next season.

I think his floor is a very solid starter. 16-6 as a SF. I personally think he's going to be an 18-20+ point, 7 rebound guy. The last time the Bucks had a young player with this type of natural scoring talent was Ray Allen.

And idiot Skiles/Boylan and idiot Hambone wasted him and traded him away for a soon to be UFA SG who was brought in to help us reach the promised land, or, as it is known here in WI, the 8th seed.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#158 » by woosah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Ayt wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:In 8 years will Tobias Harris be as good as JJ was this year? In his own way, yes, he certainly will. Add to that we got Lamb and Beno, who may well contribute in the future.

He could be your leading scorer as soon as next season depending upon how your roster shakes out. You guys aren't exactly loaded with offensive talent.

With another offseason and some time to integrate into your organization, he could be a high teens scorer next season. Depending upon how quickly he adapts and how many minutes you give him, he could do that the rest of this year.

I obviously think the Bucks made a huge mistake in this trade, and I love Redick as a player for us.

+1
If definitely will not take him 8 years, lol.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#159 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 pm

woosah wrote:
Ayt wrote:

With another offseason and some time to integrate into your organization, he could be a high teens scorer next season. Depending upon how quickly he adapts and how many minutes you give him, he could do that the rest of this year.

I obviously think the Bucks made a huge mistake in this trade, and I love Redick as a player for us.

+1
If definitely will not take him 8 years, lol.

I know he's not going to take 8 years. I was just posing that question to people debating the JJ trade. I find it amazing that so many are saying the bucks won the trade. I just don't see many reasons why Tobias wouldn't be better than JJ in 8 years. Like you all said, he might score more than JJ next year. JJ brought other stuff to the team though, so I think Tobias will take time and bring different things, including a more aggressive desire to get to the rim, pickup fouls, and use his post game (the part of his game that really excites me).
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#160 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 am

Maye Toby's good natured christian positive disposition differed from Ellis and Jennings. Don't want to create the wrong culture, right?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic