ImageImageImageImage

2015-2016 Around the NBA Offseason Discussion Edition

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: 2015-2016 Around the NBA Offseason Discussion Edition 

Post#2521 » by OrlandO » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Porzingis to play tonight
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#2522 » by Tayswagzzz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 pm

OrlandO wrote:Porzingis to play tonight

Definitely tuning in for it.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#2523 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:24 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/off_rtg_yearly.html

what is it about tyson chandler that makes such an impact on the offensive end. Top offensive rating in the league... 4 of the last 5 seasaons... on 2 different teams.... two separate stints. hmmmmm?!?
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,764

Post#2524 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:37 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/off_rtg_yearly.html

what is it about tyson chandler that makes such an impact on the offensive end. Top offensive rating in the league... 4 of the last 5 seasaons... on 2 different teams.... two separate stints. hmmmmm?!?

Don't know why you are bringing this up, but I think you might be making too big a deal about offensive rating. I mean look at who had the best offensive rating in 07-08, Andris freaking Biedrins.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#2525 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:

Don't know why you are bringing this up, but I think you might be making too big a deal about offensive rating. I mean look at who had the best offensive rating in 07-08, Andris freaking Biedrins.

NOT bringing it up to say we should bring him to orlando at all if that is what you thought i was inferring. I was looking at the offensive and defensive ratings of some of our players and while looking at it.... i came across these statistics.... and of course i saw Biedrins name and even... antonia daniels... players that aren't known for their offensive prowess. but seeing his name so many times made me wonder... "hmmmm.... what is it about him that puts him in such a position so frequently?"
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#2526 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Don't turn the ball over, don't miss shots, grab offensive rebounds. As long as you don't waste possessions with turnovers and missed shots and you get extra possessions by hitting the boards, you will look good to ORtg.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#2527 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:15 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:

Don't turn the ball over, don't miss shots, grab offensive rebounds. As long as you don't waste possessions with turnovers and missed shots and you get extra possessions by hitting the boards, you will look good to ORtg.

GRACIAS SENOR! Thanks for dumbing that down for me.... I appreciate it.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,894

Re: Re: 2015-2016 Around the NBA Offseason Discussion Edition 

Post#2528 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:03 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:

GRACIAS SENOR! Thanks for dumbing that down for me.... I appreciate it.

Yeah, it is points created per 100 possessions, with credit for points coming from fg, ast, ft, and oreb. End possessions with one of those actions and don't end possessions with a missed fg, missed ft, or tov and you are going to have a great ortg.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#2529 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Pacers' Larry Bird on Paul George not wanting to play major minutes at power forward: "He don't make decisions around here." Column coming.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2530 » by eyriq » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:23 am

Man, just looking over Charlotte's team history and damn have they have it rough. I mean they've been to the playoffs 9 times but have never had a contender and their only strings of playoff appearances are of 2 and 3 year periods. Had both Larry Johnson and Alonzo Morning in the 90's but couldn't build anything sustainable and made tons of terrible moves in retrospect. The lost rebuild in the middle 2000's where they just drafted garbage and then this most current iteration where the jury is still out as they've suffered a set back this past season and just traded away one of their lottery hauls in Vonleh for a prime Batum. I actually kind of expect them to bounce back, I mean no franchise can be this inept, can they? It is astounding.
Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#2531 » by Duradero » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Shame we are set at the position; I liked KJ McDaniels
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#2532 » by KingRobb02 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:56 pm

Duradero wrote:Shame we are set at the position; I liked KJ McDaniels

We aren't set at any position.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2533 » by eyriq » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:15 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:

*Puts arm around shoulder* You have to think about the roster abstractly. See what we are hoping these rookie contracts become. Then you will understand why we are "set".
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#2534 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 am

eyriq wrote:Man, just looking over Charlotte's team history and damn have they have it rough. I mean they've been to the playoffs 9 times but have never had a contender and their only strings of playoff appearances are of 2 and 3 year periods. Had both Larry Johnson and Alonzo Morning in the 90's but couldn't build anything sustainable and made tons of terrible moves in retrospect. The lost rebuild in the middle 2000's where they just drafted garbage and then this most current iteration where the jury is still out as they've suffered a set back this past season and just traded away one of their lottery hauls in Vonleh for a prime Batum. I actually kind of expect them to bounce back, I mean no franchise can be this inept, can they? It is astounding.

yeah, they've not had any luck since they started their rebuild in 05-06. they've not been in many positions to land the superstars that have been available over the years, short of the "steals" of certain drafts.

05-06 drafted 5th, missing out on Paul, Deron and Bogut. picked Felton, but the only better options after him were Bynum and Granger.

06-07 drafted 3rd, missing out on LMA. picked Adam Morrison but only players after him who have been signficant players were Roy, Gay and JJ. they could have done the LMA for Tyrus Thomas swap that Portland pulled off though.

07-08 drafted 8th, missing out on Durant, Horford and Conley. took Brandan Wright. only better player taken after was Noah.

08-09 drafted 9th, missing out on Rose, Westbrook and Love. took Augustin. only better option after was Brook Lopez or Hibbert. but i think Augustin has always been better than he's been able to show.

09-10 drafted 12th, missing out on Griffin, Harden, Curry, Rubio, Jennings. took Gerald Henderson. only better options after were JRue Holiday and Jeff Teague.

10-11 traded pick. would have drafted 16th, and only good player after that was Bledsoe. missed out on Wall, Favors, Cousins, Monroe and George.

11-12 drafted 7th and 9th, missing out on Kyrie. took Biyombo and Kemba. missed several better players after like Klay, Kawhi, Vuc, Knight and Burks.

12-13 drafted 2nd, missing out on Davis. took MKG. better players after were Lillard and Beal.

13-14 drafted 4th, missing out on Oladipo. took Zeller. better players after were Noel, MCW, McLemore, KCP, McCollum and Gobert.

14-15 drafted 9th, missed Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Exum, Smart, Randle. drafted Vonleh. only clear cut better players after him were Payton, LaVine and Hood - but it's still very early on.

So overall, they've only really whiffed a couple drafts. they've really not had the chance to draft much transcendent talent.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2535 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:23 am

Bensational wrote:
eyriq wrote:Man, just looking over Charlotte's team history and damn have they have it rough. I mean they've been to the playoffs 9 times but have never had a contender and their only strings of playoff appearances are of 2 and 3 year periods. Had both Larry Johnson and Alonzo Morning in the 90's but couldn't build anything sustainable and made tons of terrible moves in retrospect. The lost rebuild in the middle 2000's where they just drafted garbage and then this most current iteration where the jury is still out as they've suffered a set back this past season and just traded away one of their lottery hauls in Vonleh for a prime Batum. I actually kind of expect them to bounce back, I mean no franchise can be this inept, can they? It is astounding.

yeah, they've not had any luck since they started their rebuild in 05-06. they've not been in many positions to land the superstars that have been available over the years, short of the "steals" of certain drafts.

05-06 drafted 5th, missing out on Paul, Deron and Bogut. picked Felton, but the only better options after him were Bynum and Granger.

06-07 drafted 3rd, missing out on LMA. picked Adam Morrison but only players after him who have been signficant players were Roy, Gay and JJ. they could have done the LMA for Tyrus Thomas swap that Portland pulled off though.

07-08 drafted 8th, missing out on Durant, Horford and Conley. took Brandan Wright. only better player taken after was Noah.

08-09 drafted 9th, missing out on Rose, Westbrook and Love. took Augustin. only better option after was Brook Lopez or Hibbert. but i think Augustin has always been better than he's been able to show.

09-10 drafted 12th, missing out on Griffin, Harden, Curry, Rubio, Jennings. took Gerald Henderson. only better options after were JRue Holiday and Jeff Teague.

10-11 traded pick. would have drafted 16th, and only good player after that was Bledsoe. missed out on Wall, Favors, Cousins, Monroe and George.

11-12 drafted 7th and 9th, missing out on Kyrie. took Biyombo and Kemba. missed several better players after like Klay, Kawhi, Vuc, Knight and Burks.

12-13 drafted 2nd, missing out on Davis. took MKG. better players after were Lillard and Beal.

13-14 drafted 4th, missing out on Oladipo. took Zeller. better players after were Noel, MCW, McLemore, KCP, McCollum and Gobert.

14-15 drafted 9th, missed Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Exum, Smart, Randle. drafted Vonleh. only clear cut better players after him were Payton, LaVine and Hood - but it's still very early on.

So overall, they've only really whiffed a couple drafts. they've really not had the chance to draft much transcendent talent.

Hmm, great breakdown. Less ineptitude I guess and more a victim of fortune. Should have been bolder!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#2536 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:44 am

eyriq wrote:Hmm, great breakdown. Less ineptitude I guess and more a victim of fortune. Should have been bolder!

Here's a fun challenge, what's the best team you can build in hindsight with the players available to them in past drafts. You can only take one from each draft year, except 2011-12, where they had 2 picks.

05-06 Bynum or Granger.
06-07 Roy, Gay or JJ.
07-08 Noah
08-09 Brook Lopez or Hibbert.
09-10 JRue Holiday or Jeff Teague.
11-12 (2 picks) Kemba, Klay, Kawhi, Vuc, Knight or A.Burks.
12-13 MKG, Lillard or Beal.
13-14 Noel, MCW, McLemore, KCP, McCollum or Gobert.
14-15 Payton, LaVine or Hood

I'd go:

Noah/Bynum
B.Lopez/Noel
Kawhi
Klay/Beal
Teague/Payton

If Charlotte had nailed their picks like that, they'd have a SAS/GSW/ATL style team that would have played great defense and scored from everywhere.

One thing that separates us from them is we don't have much draft regret at all, especially under Henny. We've often come away with the BPA, or at the very least one that's still in the argument for BPA.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2537 » by eyriq » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:42 am

Bensational wrote:
eyriq wrote:Hmm, great breakdown. Less ineptitude I guess and more a victim of fortune. Should have been bolder!

Here's a fun challenge, what's the best team you can build in hindsight with the players available to them in past drafts. You can only take one from each draft year, except 2011-12, where they had 2 picks.

05-06 Bynum or Granger.
06-07 Roy, Gay or JJ.
07-08 Noah
08-09 Brook Lopez or Hibbert.
09-10 JRue Holiday or Jeff Teague.
11-12 (2 picks) Kemba, Klay, Kawhi, Vuc, Knight or A.Burks.
12-13 MKG, Lillard or Beal.
13-14 Noel, MCW, McLemore, KCP, McCollum or Gobert.
14-15 Payton, LaVine or Hood

I'd go:

Noah/Bynum
B.Lopez/Noel
Kawhi
Klay/Beal
Teague/Payton

If Charlotte had nailed their picks like that, they'd have a SAS/GSW/ATL style team that would have played great defense and scored from everywhere.

One thing that separates us from them is we don't have much draft regret at all, especially under Henny. We've often come away with the BPA, or at the very least one that's still in the argument for BPA.

Wow, yeah you can build a nice team from those selections. The jack pot is a core of Lillard/Klay/Kawhi with a side of Noah and Gobert.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#2538 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:54 am

eyriq wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:

*Puts arm around shoulder* You have to think about the roster abstractly. See what we are hoping these rookie contracts become. Then you will understand why we are "set".

Kind of like a couple of years ago when the Rockets got rid of Lowry and Dragic because they were "set" at point guard.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#2539 » by fendilim » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:51 pm

RT @DimeMag: More bad news @Sixers fans. Joel Embiid broke the same foot bone that cost him his rookie year uproxx.it/1OrNhy0 pbs.twimg.com/media/CKXuoRlUsAAALOP.jpg
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#2540 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:53 pm

fendilim wrote:RT @DimeMag: More bad news @Sixers fans. Joel Embiid broke the same foot bone that cost him his rookie year uproxx.it/1OrNhy0 pbs.twimg.com/media/CKXuoRlUsAAALOP.jpg

Yikes. His career is truly in jeopardy before in even started. Hope he saves his money.
aka: prorl

Return to Orlando Magic