ImageImageImageImage

#14 UCF Football (7-0) @ SMU

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Re: UCF Football: Bortles to Jags 3rd overall 

Post#301 » by JaxMagic » Sun May 18, 2014 2:48 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
UCF wrote:Let me guess, you couldn't get into UF or FSU for your undergraduate degree?

False. I have a degree from one of these two school as well. I thought working in the research park while earning my MS degree was worth taking a step down to UCF. I was clearly wrong. I'm simply relaying messages from top tier research universities and companies like UT and Google. Earning a graduate degree from UCF alone doesn't remove you from consideration but you can forget about transferring those second rate credits or being hired above entry level. So what was the point of getting this degree? Where you attend graduate school matters far more than where you attend undergrad. Research, networking and publication (in top journals) opportunities are more important than grades. These come from who you study under. UCF doesn't have enough top tier research faculty because... they are UCF. This fact is quantified by a $135 million research endowment despite being one of the largest universities in the country. FSU doesn't have an elite medical school, so they come in with the low number of $550 million while UF (thanks in large part to the great Shands Hospital) has $1.263 billion. These numbers are more severe when you consider UCF has 18,000 more students than FSU and 10,000 more than UF. Far less money funding the research of tens of thousands more students?

An undergraduate degree from UCF is a wonderful accomplishment and a great start to a career. A graduate degree from UCF is a waste of time.

UCF wrote:Now back to the topic, this QB class will surprise a lot of people. JM going to the Browns was the best case scenario for a franchise that gets no attention. I feel bad for Bridgewater having to play in Minnesota but he should be a decent QB. Blake will take his bruises because it's the Jag's and they don't have the talent to protect him.

The Jags are terrible across the board. From ownership down to the talent on the field and even to their fan base, they are just bad. Sadly the QB position is less forgiving, in terms fresh starts with other teams, than any other. Once a guy is labeled a bust, his career is basically over. Bortles has to do something special quick and do it without a lot of talent around them.

How are the Jags terrible across the board? Khan has been amazing for the Jaguars. The dude is doing great things for the team and for the city. The guys he has put in charge are well respected around the league and the general consensus is they have the arrow pointing up. The Jags situation seems to be very similar to the Magic's in that they are both loading up on young talent and allowing them to grow together. The shot at the fans is laughable and to be honest, a bit lazy.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#302 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Sun May 18, 2014 5:28 pm

backasswards wrote:
IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:We could've done the exact same trade that Browns did with Buffalo and gotten an extra pick that could easily be a top 5 pick next year and Bortles would have probably been there at Buffalos pick, and if not, who cares, because Bridgewater is better than Bortles and Manziel could be better too (although he is a bit riskier of a pick)

I'm a hardcore Bills fan and I know for certain that we tried trading up to as high as 1st overall to get Watkins.

I know our front office was worried that the Jags would take Watkins but you guys did a great job concealing who you liked.

As far as our pick easily being a top 5 pick, I'd have to say that won't happen. Our roster is far more talented than the year we got the 3rd overall pick. Just look at last year, we played 3 QBs throughout the season that had a total of 1 NFL start between them and we still managed to win 6 games.

I said it easily COULD be, but if I had to guess I'd say you would be somewhere between 5-10.

Anyway though, thats my point, we could've had an extra first this year, there's no way bortles is so good that you could pass that up. Basically its saying that we value bortles more than having 2 top 10 picks, even though with two top 10 picks we could have a qb this year and an extra pick next year or spend our pick this year on somebody else and take a qb next year. Personally I would've loved to trade back around the late teens / 20s and get even more picks while still getting jff or bwater, or hell if they love bortles so much maybe he would've still been there at the bills pick
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#303 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:It certainly depends where you're applying and what job you're going after (i'm not going to get a job on Wall Street right out of UCF, or at least not likely), but I think one huge issue is that people expect their degree to land them the job on it's own. The degree gets you the interview. Who you are, what you can do, how you conduct yourself (interviewing skills plays an enormous part), your intangibles, extracurriculars, etc, these are the things that get you the job.

That's why there's so much whining today about "I paid so much money for my degree and can only get a job at Starbucks." It takes more than a degree, but too few college kids realize this. And this happens all over for all colleges. Obviously kids from Harvard are going to experience that a whole lot less, but you get the jist.

I'm proud of my UCF degree. I loved UCF. Do I wish it was more reputable? Sure. But I take steps to make sure that doesn't hold me back and put me behind other candidates.

This are all great points. Still, no matter how talented you are or how qualified you are, networking will play a big role in your job search. This is especially true for your first job out of school. Research grants are often jointly owned between faculty at different labs or universities. Getting on big project instantly links you to researchers across the country and beyond. This grant will likely contain travel money for conferences where the student can present their work and meet more people interested in their area of research.

UCF has far too few of these big research grants to be considered a strong graduate school.

If you just want to sit at a cubical and write code, it really doesn't matter where you get a degree. Learn to code and you'll get that job. But who goes to grad school for this type of job? If you want to lead a research team, you need to have a resume that shows a strong publication record, that you have been invited to speak at respected conferences, that you have a strong grant proposal record and that you have collaborated with a variety of researchers and labs. All but a very few projects at UCF are unable to offer this.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#304 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Saw some highlights of him with a Jags uni practicing and he looked glorious.
aka: prorl
Blues
Junior
And1: 98

Post#305 » by Blues » Tue May 20, 2014 2:55 am

Jaguars fan here
Let's run through a Teal-biased hypothetical. If Bortles becomes Roethlisberger, he's worth the 3rd pick and more than two 1st rounders. If he become Matt Ryan, the same thing. So what does it matter if the general public thinks he's over drafted. Bortles was a top 5 projected prospect from the very beginning, from Houston to Jax to Cleveland... Seemingly the Jaguars #1 guy
Formally known as "Magix3"
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#306 » by UCF » Sun Jun 1, 2014 7:45 pm

Blues wrote:Jaguars fan here
Let's run through a Teal-biased hypothetical. If Bortles becomes Roethlisberger, he's worth the 3rd pick and more than two 1st rounders. If he become Matt Ryan, the same thing. So what does it matter if the general public thinks he's over drafted. Bortles was a top 5 projected prospect from the very beginning, from Houston to Jax to Cleveland... Seemingly the Jaguars #1 guy

At the very least, the jags won't hear nearly the complaints about games being shown in orlando anymore :D I actually didn't have a favorite nfl team in florida until this draft.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#307 » by craig01 » Sun Jun 1, 2014 8:35 pm

You are not alone. I know others that are now Jags fans too
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#308 » by Malik Starks » Wed Jun 4, 2014 12:42 pm

UCF wrote:
Blues wrote:Jaguars fan here

At the very least, the jags won't hear nearly the complaints about games being shown in orlando anymore :D I actually didn't have a favorite nfl team in florida until this draft.

I'm a recent UCF grad, but I had already made a decision to become a Jags fan a few months before the draft. The Bortles pick just gave me more incentive.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#309 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm really impressed with the Jaguars draft. A+ in my book! Bortles, Lee, Robinson, Linder, Colvin, both Smith's and Johnson all good players who could contribute for years to come. IMO Lee is the steal of this draft, a guy who was considered to go in the top 10 in the draft a few years ago before injury. Great job by the front office and scouts!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#310 » by craig01 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Former Indiana Pacer Antonio Davis's son is transferring to Ucf by way of Tennessee.

If AJ davis is anything like his father .........

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#311 » by craig01 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 am

For those that follow Ucf baseball, Ben Lively is now 10-1 this year in the Reds organization.

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#312 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:43 am

Bortles signed with the Jags, 4 yrs just under $ 21 mill with a 5th yr option.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#313 » by UCF » Mon Jul 7, 2014 12:26 am

So who thinks we start the season with votes?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#314 » by craig01 » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:52 am

Easily will get votes. Not sure how many though.

The carry over effect could have Ucf pushing top 25.

Even though the Coaches poll has always mattered, IMO that poll has at times shown bias.

I follow the AP poll more, but they too have had some questionable practices in the past.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#315 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jul 8, 2014 12:36 pm

Yea I think we'll be close to ranked. Possibly at #25 in the AP, though I think we miss the cut for Coaches.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#316 » by craig01 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Five weeks and counting.

Tailgate party at my man cave garage starting at 7am. Tents, pits, tables, banners/flags, etc

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football [0-0]|UCF vs PSU 

Post#317 » by UCF » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 am

Can't come soon enough! Season ticket sales have already passed last year's #'s. I haven't added my 5 seats yet but will be soon.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#318 » by UCF » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:29 pm

Stadium update: http://m.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2 ... ities.html

More premium seating to go with tiki bar.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#319 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 am

Hey all, good luck this season, hoping my Nittany Lions get revenge, but have tons of respect for your team! Also rooting for Bortles in Jacksonville as he got drafted w/ Allen Robinson there, here's to a great season for both schools!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#320 » by craig01 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 pm

bondom34 wrote:Hey all, good luck this season, hoping my Nittany Lions get revenge, but have tons of respect for your team! Also rooting for Bortles in Jacksonville as he got drafted w/ Allen Robinson there, here's to a great season for both schools!

Robinson is a hellluva good player. He should have a very productive career in the NFL.

the game in Ireland should be a blast, wish I was going.....

Return to Orlando Magic