ImageImageImageImage

#14 UCF Football (7-0) @ SMU

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie
And1: 349

Re: UCF Football [4-2] | vs Temple (5pm/homecoming) 

Post#441 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:17 am

UCFJayBird wrote:
T-DOT KEEZY wrote:
craig01 wrote:I say let him play.

Int's are part of the growing pains.

Elway 7 td, 14 int
Brees 16 td, 17 int (second year after watching first on bench)
P Manning 26td, 28 int
Bradshaw 6 td, 24 int

It's a time and game experience opportunity for young QB's.

I like Blake as much as the next guy but every quarterback you cited is a hall of famer or future hall of famer.

I don't see that kind of upside with Blake over time. He needs the game to slow down at times. He still stares down receivers as the other poster had said. He can learn a ton by sitting

lol, the point was that those guys did not look like future HOFers during their rookie seasons.

IMy specific point if you did read above and do watch football is with the exception of Brees all of those guys were legitimate 1st Round Picks if not legitimate #1 overall picks and thus were considered to be okay to start out the gate. Brees certainly had set backs due to his size though.

Blake Bortles does not have HOF upside. No way. Blake is not and was not a legit #1 overall caliber QB. In a thicker draft he probably would not have even been a high first round pick. While at UCF he did not dominate USF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Missouri, OSU ....should I continue naming other teams? He did just enough to win. Blake is a winner and that is a good thing. He doesn't have to be elite to win but....all 4 of those boys would have destroyed the American Conference Competition in their collegiate days.

I am a UCF season ticket holder but will be the first to admit Blake was able to cash in on his physical dimensions, phenomenal Junior year run, and most importantly weak QB class. As such Gus should have stuck to the script and let him sit till end of year. His playing has absolutely NOT changed the outcome and the "Messiah" factor he had coming into the season is all but gone due to a desperate and rabid Jags fanbase (or what little is left).

As the previous poster said and I agree Blake does need a solid run game to help him if he going to have any measure of success while he learns on the job. Gerhart was a predicatable bust and D-Rob is a scat back not a legit RB1 in the NFL. If everything pans out Blake will be a 2nd Tier QB but not elite. I get the Rothlisberger comparisons due to size but I don't know that Big Ben was or is considered elite in the same way we all look at Brady, Manning, Elway, Montana. If Blake can be a Rothlisberger the Jags will have done very well. Hopefully they get an O-line in the draft.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: UCF Football [5-2] | @ UConn (12pm) 

Post#442 » by craig01 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:02 am

The point was, most QB's have growing pains.

Most QB's don't succeed in the beginning partly because they are on terrible teams, and they have to adjust to the speed of the game. Sitting Bortles out for the entire year was an option for the Jags that they chose not to pursue.

As for HOF upside, who ever said that?

The comparison earlier was just to show that even some of the best have had struggles early in their careers.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Re: UCF Football [4-2] | vs Temple (5pm/homecoming) 

Post#443 » by ORL » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:27 pm

bondom34 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
T-DOT KEEZY wrote:
I like Blake as much as the next guy but every quarterback you cited is a hall of famer or future hall of famer.

I don't see that kind of upside with Blake over time. He needs the game to slow down at times. He still stares down receivers as the other poster had said. He can learn a ton by sitting

lol, the point was that those guys did not look like future HOFers during their rookie seasons.

Hey guys, just looking this up as I've been following Bortles (another TD to A Rob today, which is why I really follow the Jags too). But looking at Bortles stats he's going to need some time, and comparing him to great QBs, those guys largely had a run game. Brees had LT his first season, Manning had Faulk, Bortles has......Denard Robinson. No knock on D Rob, but he was a QB in college.

Interesting coincidence -- for Denard, it came down to UM and UCF for his commitment. If he goes with UCF instead of Michigan (a year earlier than Blake), does Bortles ever get his shot?
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,414

Post#444 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Yea I don't think anyone is insinuating that Bortles is going to be a Hall of Famer. Though to be fair, I won't rule it out either. I wouldn't rule out for anyone, regardless of where they were drafted or how they performed their rookie seasons. There are tons of HOFers who were drafted later, undrafted, or played poorly their early years. Same thing happens in every sport. Some guys struggle early but find a way, some come out red hot but then fade and are never heard from again.

Back on topic, no one is insinuating Bortles is the next Peyton Manning or John Elway. We're just saying it's too early to write him off as a bad player who won't make it.
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#445 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Yea I don't think anyone is insinuating that Bortles is going to be a Hall of Famer. Though to be fair, I won't rule it out either. I wouldn't rule out for anyone, regardless of where they were drafted or how they performed their rookie seasons. There are tons of HOFers who were drafted later, undrafted, or played poorly their early years. Same thing happens in every sport. Some guys struggle early but find a way, some come out red hot but then fade and are never heard from again.

Back on topic, no one is insinuating Bortles is the next Peyton Manning or John Elway. We're just saying it's too early to write him off as a bad player who won't make it.

I hear you. So that you know I was in no way writing BB off as a guy that won't make it. I was just implying that with the talent level in Jax and his overall rawness maybe sitting out a year while they figure things out organizationally would be the best thing for him. I do have to say I am pleased that O-line is doing a little bit better. He took some very, very nasty shots against the Steelers play after play.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#446 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:47 pm

UCF lands 7'6 basketball recruit Tacko Fall making today....Tacko Tuesday.

He's only been playing ball since 2012 but is a pretty good recruit. He had an offer from Georgetown. He's also a 4.0 academic (he finds education here much easier than in his home country, Senegal).

https://ucf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1697557
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#447 » by UCF » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 pm

As long as he can get up and down the floor quickly this will be great. Being a 4.0 student is also plus.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#448 » by UCF » Sat Nov 1, 2014 4:56 pm

Early lead but some dumb errors keeping us from a lot more.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#449 » by craig01 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 7:14 pm

Ucf at UCONN.

What a pathetic effort.

It isn't the weather, it isn't the play calling, but today's performance on a scale of 1-10 is a ZERO.

Horrible choices made by players on offense and defense.

Holman is ineffective 75% of the time. Unless there is a big play Ucf can't move the ball.

The loss today is inexcusable playing against a team that has not led a game this year since their opener against Stoneybrook.

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#450 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Nov 1, 2014 9:46 pm

We did it to ourselves.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#451 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Sun Nov 2, 2014 1:08 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:We did it to ourselves.

Between rooting for my Magic and the my Knights I am starting to feel like a Cleveland fan (pre-Lebron).

:( :( Where's my Lexapro?
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football [5-3] | vs Tulsa (11/14) 

Post#452 » by UCF » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:37 am

I'm still dejected over this loss. Even worse is this came before a bye week.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#453 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Nov 4, 2014 8:53 pm

Yea it was bad and stunk, but looking on the bright side, we were unlikely to have a shot at the New Years Six bowls even if we won out (especially with ECU losing to Temple). So we're essentially playing for the same thing, the conference. Win the conference, get to 10 wins with a bowl victory, and that's a pretty good season considering we lost the #3 pick in the draft.

Now if we fall to 8-4 or 7-5, we've got a bigger issue. This was supposed to be a down year compared to last.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#454 » by craig01 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 12:48 am

I'd be happy with 8-4.

That's what I was hoping for prior to the season beginning.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#455 » by craig01 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:50 pm

It's gonna be a bit chilly tonight.

Low-mid 50's and breezy.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#456 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm

It is going to be that cold and I wore shorts and a polo to work today!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#457 » by N4U|Redux » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:26 pm

craig01 wrote:I'd be happy with 8-4.

I remember what 8-4 feels like.

Barely.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#458 » by craig01 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:11 am

N4U|Redux wrote:
craig01 wrote:I'd be happy with 8-4.

I remember what 8-4 feels like.

Barely.

Lol.

It's been a rough for years for USF

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Re: UCF Football [6-3] | vs SMU 

Post#459 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Noon kickoff against SMU which is great since the Magic play the Heat that night at 7 p.m.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: UCF Football [6-3] | vs SMU 

Post#460 » by craig01 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Fitting that it is a noon kick off, which keeps the lousy home schedule consistent for this year.

Return to Orlando Magic