ImageImageImageImage

Dewayne Dedmon To Sign With Magic For Remainder Of Season

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Dewayne Dedmon To Sign With Magic For Remainder Of Season 

Post#1 » by drsd » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 pm

LINK

Orlando needs depth at both positions and this takes the Magic to the expected roster level of 14.

EDIT:
Roster decision
The second 10-day contracts of swingman Adonis Thomas and center Dewayne Dedmon will expire at 11:59 p.m. Sunday night.

Team officials have decided they won't sign Thomas for the remainder of the season.

As of Saturday morning, a decision had not been made about Dedmon's future with the team.

Moshi
Junior
And1: 65

Re: Orlando Magic to sign Adonis Thomas, Dewayne Dedmon 

Post#2 » by Moshi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Meh. Whatever.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#3 » by claudio-br » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:22 pm

dinasty coming
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#4 » by drsd » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 am

The scouting reports:

Adonis Thomas is a short SF (6'4" without shoes) that has huge length (7' 1" wingspan). Apparently he is extremely strong. He lacks lateral defense and has a poor jumper. So, a physical project that has a ways to go to get to the NBA full time.

Dewayne Dedmon has legit NBA height and is just under 7" with shoes. Not great length and has developed the defensive side of his game. Is more likely as an NBA baller as he can rebound and play D. Most expect he will develop into a rotational player in the NBA.

Taking these together, it seems that Dedmon is more probably to be kept through the season's end. He fits a practice squad need and already has reasonable NBA experience.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#5 » by MellowRose » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:21 am

One thing I can tall y'all, Dedmon is a beast on 2K - coming straight from a competitive 2K gamer, fellas.
gp123
Bench Warmer
And1: 75

Post#6 » by gp123 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:56 am

drsd wrote:The scouting reports:

Adonis Thomas is a short SF (6'4" without shoes) that has huge length (7' 1" wingspan). Apparently he is extremely strong. He lacks lateral defense and has a poor jumper. So, a physical project that has a ways to go to get to the NBA full time.

Dewayne Dedmon has legit NBA height and is just under 7" with shoes. Not great length and has developed the defensive side of his game. Is more likely as an NBA baller as he can rebound and play D. Most expect he will develop into a rotational player in the NBA.

Taking these together, it seems that Dedmon is more probably to be kept through the season's end. He fits a practice squad need and already has reasonable NBA experience.

Just read something saying Thomas is an outstanding 3 shooter but that's about it.. But your report says bad j?
Anyone seen him play?
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 am

iam watching some video of thomas and he just makes jumpers all day. Good to see Henny try to address some of our weaknesses inexpensively
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#8 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:12 am

Thomas shot 48% from 3 in d league :o
TheAlphaMale
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by TheAlphaMale » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 am

gp123 wrote:Just read something saying Thomas is an outstanding 3 shooter but that's about it.. But your report says bad j? Anyone seen him play?

He said he's put a ton of work into his 3pt shot since the draft last year. To back up those percentages, he was also in the 3pt contest at the All-Star break for those who haven't done their youtube research yet. In the pursuit of finding a nice young scorer off the bench, I'm more excited to see this dude than D. Lamb. Looking at those pre-draft numbers looks like he could guard 2-4. 2/10's of a second faster in lane agility and and just a hair slower in full court sprint, and an obvious advantage in the strength department, so he's got the necessary goods to pull that off Brings quite a bit to the table it looks like. Just 20 years old... Actually younger than Moe by a little.

EDIT: I was referring to Ben McLemore in those pre-draft measurements, fwiw.

I'm more excited about Dedmon though. Nice team, locker-room dude. Reading on some Sixers forums they all seemed to kinda like him and wanted him back for the rest of the season. Could be in the league for a while. If you haven't watched his little background story on youtube, here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snntfwaXxt0
gp123
Bench Warmer
And1: 75

Post#10 » by gp123 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:02 am

TheAlphaMale wrote:
gp123 wrote:Just read something saying Thomas is an outstanding 3 shooter but that's about it.. But your report says bad j? Anyone seen him play?

He said he's put a ton of work into his 3pt shot since the draft last year. To back up those percentages, he was also in the 3pt contest at the All-Star break for those who haven't done their youtube research yet. In the pursuit of finding a nice young scorer off the bench, I'm more excited to see this dude than D. Lamb. Looking at those pre-draft numbers looks like he could guard 2-4. 2/10's of a second faster in lane agility and and just a hair slower in full court sprint, and an obvious advantage in the strength department, so he's got the necessary goods to pull that off Brings quite a bit to the table it looks like. Just 20 years old... Actually younger than Moe by a little.

I'm more excited about Dedmon though. Nice team, locker-room dude. Reading on some Sixers forums they all seemed to kinda like him and wanted him back for the rest of the season. Could be in the league for a while. If you haven't watched his little background story on youtube, here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snntfwaXxt0

well at this point, I hope those 2 play every minute against 76rs, bucks, etc. Hell put meer in as the backup center... after the deadline moves and NYK imploding, I honestly I think our team is too good right now, and we're going to win to many games without creative coaching decisions... give these guys a really, really good look if you know what I mean.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#11 » by MellowRose » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:01 pm

What happened to Thomas, man...

"I enjoy it. I just try to be nice about it," said Thomas, whom MaxPreps.com ranks the No. 6 overall prospect in 2011. "It's something I always wanted to happen to me when I was younger. I saw other guys like that, and I looked up to them."

Link: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... ng-adonis/

(Great Article, btw.)
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#12 » by MellowRose » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Dedmon seems awesome. Love these two signings by Henny. Hope Thomas and Dedmond get a lot of burn.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#13 » by MellowRose » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm

How ironic...

(Thomas)

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,149

Post#14 » by eyriq » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Nets Fans seem miffed that we swooped in and snatched Adonis up from their D-League affiliate. The Nets had apparently picked him up specifically to keep him around as a prospect.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/391270902232391680[/tweet]

Is it bad of me to enjoy thwarting the Nets, even if it is only at the margins of franchise development?

Edit: One more thing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGYqbziGx4[/youtube]

Welcome to the team Odonis!

Double Edit: I really want an Orlando Magic D-League affiliate!
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#15 » by orlando1214 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:10 pm

eyriq wrote:Double Edit: I really want an Orlando Magic D-League affiliate!

I do too. I want one like the Warrior's, they seem to have one of the better programs and seem to have really good attendance as well. I've watch a little bit of their games while looking at Thomas and Dedmon and the place always looks packed, whereas others have like maybe 100 people at their game, if that. Plus I really like how the Warrior's team has very similar court and jerseys to the them.

Also for anybody who hadn't seen it, here's a tweet from Thomas last night about joining the team.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AllDayThomas/status/437436749619290113[/tweet]
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#16 » by Last Guardian » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Hennigan at it again with the wingspan....Dedmon 7'4 and Thomas 7'1. Its like he thinks players with short arms are demons. He must have nightmares about Jameer and Doron being on his team.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#17 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 pm

eyriq wrote:Nets Fans seem miffed that we swooped in and snatched Adonis up from their D-League affiliate. The Nets had apparently picked him up specifically to keep him around as a prospect.

Is it bad of me to enjoy thwarting the Nets, even if it is only at the margins of franchise development?

Get a D-league team, put'em in Jacksonville :wink:
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#18 » by thelead » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:
eyriq wrote:Nets Fans seem miffed that we swooped in and snatched Adonis up from their D-League affiliate. The Nets had apparently picked him up specifically to keep him around as a prospect.

Jacksonville would work, Tampa would be better imo.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,149

Post#19 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm

IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:

Man I could see that being so much fun for us on this board! It seems like, from reading other blogs with the league affiliates, that having that affiliate really build interest and gives you so many new and different story lines to follow.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#20 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:13 pm

thelead wrote:
IGotDaMagicInMe wrote:

Jacksonville would work, Tampa would be better imo.

I second this. Tampa location could serve as an affiliate for Magic & Heat.

Return to Orlando Magic