ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. LXVIII Tanking Edition)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. LXVIII Tanking Edition) 

Post#1941 » by shadrock » Tue Apr 8, 2014 1:21 pm

It wouldnt surprise me to see Randle drop out of the top 10. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Vonleh in the top 5.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#1942 » by Catledge » Tue Apr 8, 2014 1:23 pm

Randle plays like a center but has the body of a power forward. He's a career backup center IMO.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#1943 » by flying_mollusk » Tue Apr 8, 2014 1:32 pm

I wish someone was copying all of these statements about Randle. People who make blanket declarations on basketball players in college are always silent if those players prove them wrong and end up being good. We havent heard a peep from all those people who declared Michael Carter-Williams would be terrible in the NBA. Im not saying I knew he would be good-but why do we insist we know how to be talent evaluators?
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1944 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 1:44 pm

tiderulz wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:hmmm, what did you see that shows he is un-athletic? i dont see that at all

I would say he has some good quickness and strength, but I think what most people say when they call him unathletic is that he doesn't really have that ability to explode off the floor and play above the rim. People like to compare him to Zach Randolph in that aspect, but that ignores the fact that a lot of Z-Bo's effectiveness comes form his super long arms and the fact that he has a ton of post moves.

i dont remember Zach having all those post moves at 19, so I will give Randle a little leeway. I am not on the Randle bandwagon like some people, but i cant write him off either. And also, at 19, there is still a good probability that he can grow more.

He really did. I remember him shining in the McDonald's All American game and then at MSU. I thought he was too crazy to succeed in the NBA, but I knew he was a great post scorer.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#1945 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:02 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:I wish someone was copying all of these statements about Randle. People who make blanket declarations on basketball players in college are always silent if those players prove them wrong and end up being good. We havent heard a peep from all those people who declared Michael Carter-Williams would be terrible in the NBA. Im not saying I knew he would be good-but why do we insist we know how to be talent evaluators?

well said. I was one that didnt think MCW would do as well as he has. His weakness is still out there, his jump shot, but it is something he can improve on. But he has excelled in his strengths tremendously.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#1946 » by Magicalltheway » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:04 pm

i was looking forward to seeing Randle last night and i was rather disapointed. He playes with heart but lacks alot for a 4. cant shoot, fts are not good, not explosive off the dribble, vertical quickness questionable (except the one block that looks sick). I also doubt he will be picked top 10.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1947 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:11 pm

Mrrags009 wrote:Does anyone think that maybe a Jordan hill or amir jonhson can play next to vucci for a year or two until we get another pf

Sent from my XT1060 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Only if the Magic want to tank some more and lose games. Neither are playoff caliber starting players.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man

Post#1948 » by flying_mollusk » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:20 pm

Magicalltheway wrote:i was looking forward to seeing Randle last night and i was rather disapointed. He playes with heart but lacks alot for a 4. cant shoot, fts are not good, not explosive off the dribble, vertical quickness questionable (except the one block that looks sick). I also doubt he will be picked top 10.

Few things. One, I believe he can shoot, but doesn't because the dribble-drive offense sets the offense to be initiated in different ways. Plus the ability to hit a mid-range jumper can be developed. Dont forget that he is 18.

Second, he is a 70% free throw shooter, and actually hit some ice free throws against Michigan State to eliminate them.

Third, I dont know what vertical quickness is. But he has a knack for altering his shot mid-air and then making it, thereby making it really hard to block him. Compare this to the two UConn guys that got blocked inside like 5 times because they dont have the basic bball IQ to adjust near the basket and, like many a bball player, think they can just straight dunk.

Fourth, its one thing to say that he isnt top 5, or the Magic shouldnt draft him. But he wont be picked in the top 10? Seriously? What has gotten into people? Id put cash money on you being wrong about that.
Supreme
Starter
And1: 338

Post#1949 » by Supreme » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:22 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:Im not saying I knew he would be good-but why do we insist we know how to be talent evaluators?

...he asked a bunch of people on a website called "Real GM".
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man

Post#1950 » by flying_mollusk » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:24 pm

tiderulz wrote:
flying_mollusk wrote:I wish someone was copying all of these statements about Randle. People who make blanket declarations on basketball players in college are always silent if those players prove them wrong and end up being good. We havent heard a peep from all those people who declared Michael Carter-Williams would be terrible in the NBA. Im not saying I knew he would be good-but why do we insist we know how to be talent evaluators?

well said. I was one that didnt think MCW would do as well as he has. His weakness is still out there, his jump shot, but it is something he can improve on. But he has excelled in his strengths tremendously.

It's so hard to gauge because so much info is out there and so much of it is a crapshoot. Ill admit that I tend to fall in love with some players and have bad opinions of others. But Im glad I dont make these decisions for the Magic. Id probably be fired after 2 seasons.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#1951 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:30 pm

Magicalltheway wrote:i was looking forward to seeing Randle last night and i was rather disapointed. He playes with heart but lacks alot for a 4. cant shoot, fts are not good, not explosive off the dribble, vertical quickness questionable (except the one block that looks sick). I also doubt he will be picked top 10.

you do know that he hurt his ankle in the game Sat night right? that will play into his lack of explosiveness. I bet that also played a little into his FT, of which he shot 70% for the season.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#1952 » by Catledge » Tue Apr 8, 2014 2:45 pm

Meh. People express opinions on message boards. If I turn out to be wrong about Randle, feel free to call me out, but don't get on a horse about the basic appropriateness of having an opinion.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#1953 » by Melvinlocker » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:15 pm

Mrrags009 wrote:Does anyone think that maybe a Jordan hill or amir jonhson can play next to vucci for a year or two until we get another pf

Sent from my XT1060 using RealGM Forums mobile app

I am a big fan of signing either one as long as we can them at the right price. They are solid rotation bigs who rebound and defend, all while not hurting the offense because they can finish around the rim. Those are the type of guys that help round out championship frontcourts. The only question is if these guys fit the culture that Henny is trying to create.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1954 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:25 pm

shadrock wrote:It wouldnt surprise me to see Randle drop out of the top 10. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Vonleh in the top 5.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Randle pop into the top 5. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Exum drop out of the top 10.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#1955 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:36 pm

Had some good talks about Kevin Ollie and how to fix Andrew Nicholson.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTbeibMF1GE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3A6jTpHXn8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RULaDV0qpsg[/youtube]

Vucevic not available for interviews as he was getting treatment. We won't know anything until tomorrow.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1956 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:48 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Had some good talks about Kevin Ollie and how to fix Andrew Nicholson.

Hope it did not involve Crystal Meth to speed him up.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#1957 » by tranjSAIC » Tue Apr 8, 2014 3:59 pm

shadrock wrote:It wouldnt surprise me to see Randle drop out of the top 10. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Vonleh in the top 5.

NO WAY IN HELL Randle drops that far, and I don't even like the guy. lol
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#1958 » by Def Swami » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:15 pm

Are we taking bets on if Randle falls out of the top 10? Because some of you are going to lose some loot.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#1959 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:34 pm

Randle dropping out of the top 10? :lol:
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#1960 » by ezzzp » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:50 pm

“Kevin Ollie, he was a game-changer for us," Durant told Grantland. "He changed the whole culture, I think. He might not say it, but he changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City. Just his mind-set, his professionalism, every single day. And we all watched that and we wanted to be like that. It rubbed off on Russell [Westbrook], myself, Jeff Green, James Harden — and everyone that comes through now, that’s the standard you got to live up to, as a Thunder player, and it all started with Kevin Ollie.”

interesting to hear what kind of impact a good veteran can make on young players

Return to Orlando Magic