Additional Forum Upgrades

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 342

Re: Additional Forum Upgrades 

Post#41 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:53 am

hands11 wrote:The time and date and title of thread are GRAY making it hard to identify. The posters name is in color but I can already see who the poster because is displayed larger to the left so already have that information. Listed it twice isn't needed. And the combination of graying out the information I wont while coloring information I already have which makes reading what I want to see harder.

Lastly, I would change back to time date stamping vs the today, yesterday and then eventually time date that you did in the last change. The today, yesterday stuff looks kind on interesting on a main forum page with lots of thread but inside a thread, not so much. Part of the problem is that the page needs refreshed for it to be accurate.

I'll look at darkening the post information tomorrow to see how it looks. I think the order and placement of everything else is fine though. The username is listed twice for mobile users who scan down the right column only, so it does have importance. I think the timestamp is more important than the author in this case, which is why they are in that order.

If you don't like the yesterday/today timestamp then you can change it in your preferences.

hands11 wrote:Just saw the new plus 1 thing under the thread posts count number.

Not a fan of it. If I go into a thread and read the posts, you can see what posts where and 1 by someone. That is where its useful. To be honest, I pay more attention to what is written, not who writes it. The content and message is whats important over the messenger. We have enough egos and people posturing without give them more fuel to side track conversations.

Along those lines. The PM was good where it used to be. You PM a user so PM should be next to their name and picture if they have one.

Team icons: They are kind of cool. not overly important but a nice splash of color and something this is interesting. But I would put them under the profile icon. They are like badges to who the poster is. They fit well under the posters image. Like badges on a shirt.

In your preferences, you can disable the +1 and you won't see it again.

The PM button was moved to make the short posts more compact and take up less scrolling. It still fits in, because you are usually PMing someone about a specific post so it fits in with Quote.

Team icons can also be disabled in user preferences. We put them vertically to save space on short posts and make things tighter. It looked nicer horizontally, but fits better this way.

We've tweaked a lot over the last couple weeks and have things just where we want them now.
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#42 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:57 am

El Turco wrote:i suggest reconsidering college team logos, top colleges have bigger fanbases than most pro franchises. probably too much work putting 300+ teams but having 100-150 major teams like in soccer category would be nice.

I'd love to add college icons in the future, but I won't be able to tomorrow and after that I have a lot of other projects coming up. It's not something we are opposed to at all. I'd love to rep my UK icon right now.

We will have to add all 300+ DI teams at once to keep things aligned. The problem with the current set up is that we can't reorder teams in the drop down list, so if we add a new team they will have to go to the bottom and won't be in alphabetical order. That's why we don't want to add a select number of teams.

In the future, maybe we will set it up so you can choose any 4-5 icons from NBA, NCAA, D-League, International, MLB, NFL, NHL, and Soccer. We just aren't in the position to do it yet.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#43 » by Jake0890 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:58 am

The new layout looks so much better now that when the changes started. Bravo to the admin team for listening to what everyone had to say and making the changes!
ChicagoStrong
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Post#44 » by ChicagoStrong » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:14 am

I'm indifferent on the Top And1 Post in this topic under replies.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,102

Post#45 » by duppyy » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:47 am

I like the changes so far, keep it up!
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#46 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:08 am

AJB wrote:I'm indifferent on the Top And1 Post in this topic under replies.

You can hide it in your preferences.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#47 » by Wo1verine » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:15 am

dream, while not a big deal at all - Is it possible for the Blue Jays forum to be blue? It's currently red.
BrunoSkull
steamed hams
General Manager
And1: 19,431

Post#48 » by steamed hams » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:38 am

Like the changes keep it up mods

Sent from my HTC One S using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#49 » by Kerrsed » Fri Apr 4, 2014 7:21 am

The changes are great. Much props to you guys for reinvigorating the look and feel of the forums!

My only suggestion would be to make the team logo's into links that would then take you to that teams forum. :D
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
-MK-
Pro Prospect
And1: 143

Post#50 » by -MK- » Fri Apr 4, 2014 11:05 am

IMHO the team logos should be below the user info (posts, and1, joined, location etc). If there are multiple team logos, it creates an awkward white space between the user name and the avatar.

For example:
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#51 » by mohammed10 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:45 pm

Excellent work on the updates. :nod:

Please keep listening to those of us who use the site and keep up the great work!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
azncorruptedo17
Starter
And1: 222

Post#52 » by azncorruptedo17 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:13 pm

love the fave team logos! :)

hopefully there's link capabilities to team forums on fave team logo :)
Clipper fan since '95!!
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#53 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:44 pm

Wo1verine wrote:dream, while not a big deal at all - Is it possible for the Blue Jays forum to be blue? It's currently red.

I won't have time to update the NFL, NHL, and MLB forum team colors on this round of changes, but I'd like to get to that next time.
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#54 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:56 pm

-MK- wrote:IMHO the team logos should be below the user info (posts, and1, joined, location etc). If there are multiple team logos, it creates an awkward white space between the user name and the avatar.

For example:

You shouldn't be seeing that space. I've made a CSS change, let me know if you still have this problem. You might need to clear your cache.
Santoki
General Manager
And1: 2,635

Post#55 » by Santoki » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:58 pm

-MK- wrote:IMHO the team logos should be below the user info (posts, and1, joined, location etc). If there are multiple team logos, it creates an awkward white space between the user name and the avatar.

For example:

I'm sorry, but that choice of favourite teams has got to be the definition of bandwagoner.
-MK-
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by -MK- » Fri Apr 4, 2014 4:25 pm

dream34 wrote:You shouldn't be seeing that space. I've made a CSS change, let me know if you still have this problem. You might need to clear your cache.

OK, cleared my cache and now it looks like this:
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#57 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 4:26 pm

-MK- wrote:OK, cleared my cache and now it looks like this

What browser are you using?
-MK-
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by -MK- » Fri Apr 4, 2014 5:28 pm

dream34 wrote:

Mozilla Firefox 24.4.0
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#59 » by dream34 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 6:03 pm

-MK- wrote:
dream34 wrote:

Mozilla Firefox 24.4.0

Is it fixed now? Clear cache again please.
nikomCH
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Post#60 » by nikomCH » Fri Apr 4, 2014 6:14 pm

Man the layout is just getting uglier and uglier. It seems incomplete or code is broken somewhere.

Return to Charlotte Hornets