ImageImageImageImage

The Perfect Big 3

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: The Perfect Big 3 

Post#21 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:11 am

KingRobb02 wrote:Yeah, but you're acting like Durant + LeBron wouldn't automatically be the best team in the league.

Clearly any team with these two on it will have great success but that isn't the point of the thread.

You have your choice of any 3 players in the game today. Every single suggestion made so far would have fantastic success.

Boston formed a great big 3 (4 even with Rondo) and had great success but they didn't form a dynasty with a streak of titles. They were automatically one of the best teams in the league but clearly fell short when compared to the all time great teams. So again, it isn't a question of who you think would do well together it is a question of who you think would make the PERFECT Big 3.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#22 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 am

i think making the perfect big three is less about putting together fitting talents and rather just getting the best players

That's why Paul, Durant and Lebron would be the perfect big three imo. You can worry about a defensive center later.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#23 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:30 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:i think making the perfect big three is less about putting together fitting talents and rather just getting the best players

That's why Paul, Durant and Lebron would be the perfect big three imo. You can worry about a defensive center later.

I agree whole heartedly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#24 » by NickAnderson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:59 am

Durant LeBron Dwight

Shooting, Go to scorer, playmaker, defense, rebounding

Sent from my SPH-L720 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#25 » by Devin 1L » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:42 am

I don't know how every big-three doesn't start out with LeBron and Durant.

There's an argument to be made that Durant is the best player in the league. I'm not making that argument, but pointing out that it's there and that any gap isn't particularly significant. I think most would agree with this.

But, beyond that is the fact that Durant would actually fit well with LeBron. It's not two guys who have to have the ball in their hands. We've seen how Durant has been able to play with Westbrook as another ball-dominant player, but here we have an even bigger and better and more willing passer version in LeBron, and while LeBron has been able to share the rock with another ball-dominant guard, not only is Durant better, but a better shooter/floor spacer with an ability to act as a catch-and-shoot player in various sets, which Wade was not necessarily much of a threat in that regard.

Those two together would be absolutely incredible. So much so, that it's really more of a big-two. From there where you go is where it gets interesting -- you've already got the two best players in the world, not what kind of identity/style do you want to create? You don't even have to go BPA at this point and just add an average starter type based on a certain role adding someone like Calderon to serve as your point guard/deadly outside shooter in catch-and-shoot, or add Asik to to give you a strong defense and rebounding backbone, or add another long defensive minded wing like Leonard or Iguodala where every opposing wing in the NBA dreads playing you (on both ends.)

But, if the idea is the "perfect roster" for an "NBA dynasty," then I think you have to go for another guy who is or will be in the conversation for best player in the game. I think this begins to significantly limit the list.

Chris Paul seems like a natural fit. He's close in that conversation to best in game and he plays a different position.

Love/Griffin would seem to come up as they're very good PFs, but I don't think either can be the best player on a Championship team -- not that they would need to be in this hypothetical scenario, but that I think it takes them out of the "is or will be in the conversation for best player in the game" requirement that I made up.

I think Steph Curry would be a good grab. He's a great offensive player, and, more specifically, he's a great shooter, so he can fit well with the other two. And it's not a duplication of positions. But, you do sort of give up one end of the floor. And he's in between Durant and LeBron in terms of age, so you're peak is more inline.

There are two options left in my opinion.

George and Davis.

Adding George puts you with basically three wings, but they are so talented and versatile, I don't think it matters, and they would shut down every other team's wing players.

But my ultimate pick is Davis. I won't go on too much about it, but I think Davis has the best chance of anyone in the league now (who hasn't already been there,) of carrying the best player in league label. Further, he's has the opportunity to be a regular DPOY candidate. Lastly, he's 21. As I mentioned early in the post, I don't think you necessarily need that third guy to be a stud --that LeBron and Durant alone will give you most everything you need and an otherwise solidly built team will get you championships-- but if we're talking about a dynasty, I think Davis is the best best. Two of the three players of their caliber will get you Championships, I think, so it makes sense if you can add a third player to the mix, for that player to off-set players' peaks. LeBron is in his peak, when Durant hits his peak LeBron will be slowing down some, and likely while Durant is in his peak, Davis will look to join him.

This hypothetical venture, to me, is less about fit, and more about getting the best players in the world on the same team for the greatest length of time. The rest is all secondary.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#26 » by ivDT » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 am

nicholson
oladipo
harris
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#27 » by dsg2021 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 am

Great argument Devin
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#28 » by J the Drafter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 am

NEM wrote:Dwight Howard. His "roll" ability in a pick and roll teamed with James would be lethal. Howard and Turkoglu almost won a championship doing this, can you imagine replacing Hedo with Lebron. Also, Howard is still one of the best weakside defenders rebounders. As long as he knows his role, he is the best center in the game.

Yeesh. I understand that Howard pissed people off, but the way you're talking about him I 'd have to ask if you completely forgot about Howard creating open looks from the post for three point shooters. The Rockets have certainly benefited from Dwight's post scoring.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#29 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:30 am

Durant - Best player in the game.
Curry - Amazingly great shooter and can do other things pretty great as well.
Davis - Potential top 3 player in his prime and one of the best already.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#30 » by drsd » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:19 am

I guess I would pick a balanced roster with one PG, one wing, and one big. The first two are easy: Paul and James. For the big, I will pick Davis over Love.

Paul, James, and Davis would be the foundation of a five-year title run and probable would go down as a dynasty team.
Next Gen Magic
Junior
And1: 175

Post#31 » by Next Gen Magic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 am

Chris Duhon
Glen Davis
Hasheem Thabeet

DYNASTY
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 329

Post#32 » by trebone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Howard - pick and roll would be amazing/D/Rebounds
Durant - Deadly shooter/everything else
S Curry - primary ball handler/deadly shooter
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 329

Post#33 » by trebone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Or the magic prime homer dynasty.

Diener
DA
Penny
Mr Magic Fan
Senior
And1: 433

Post#34 » by Mr Magic Fan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Devin nailed it. It has to be LeBron, Durant and the brow. Not only are they an amazing fit, but all three are elite on both sides of the ball. Additionally, as Davis grows as a player the team will only get better. Those three would be basketball utopia.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#35 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:49 pm

Devin 1L wrote:I don't know how every big-three doesn't start out with LeBron and Durant.

I just don't believe that the end result is the sum of their current individual production. One reason the Heat have been so great since Wade stepped back on offense is that he is a fantastic defender. If Lebron and Durant play together, one would have to take over the side kick role. Considering Durant isn't an elite defender, that would probably have to be Lebron. I just don't see him doing that.

So in my opinion, there are better options for a big 3 than this. There are other players out there who are better suited for the side kick role while also being legit stars themselves (Noah, Curry, Griffin, ...).
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#36 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Mr Magic Fan wrote:Devin nailed it. It has to be LeBron, Durant and the brow. Not only are they an amazing fit, but all three are elite on both sides of the ball. Additionally, as Davis grows as a player the team will only get better. Those three would be basketball utopia.

Just a note. Durant has never made a first or second all-defensive team. Durant is the single greatest offensive threat in the game today. But he is not an elite defender.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#37 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:53 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Devin 1L wrote:I don't know how every big-three doesn't start out with LeBron and Durant.

I just don't believe that the end result is the sum of their current individual production. One reason the Heat have been so great since Wade stepped back on offense is that he is a fantastic defender. If Lebron and Durant play together, one would have to take over the side kick role. Considering Durant isn't an elite defender, that would probably have to be Lebron. I just don't see him doing that.

So in my opinion, there are better options for a big 3 than this. There are other players out there who are better suited for the side kick role while also being legit stars themselves (Noah, Curry, Griffin, ...).

You keep mentioning Wade taking a backseat, but he had a usage rate of 30 last year. Same as LeBron. The only guy who took a backseat was Bosh.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#38 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:You keep mentioning Wade taking a backseat, but he had a usage rate of 30 last year. Same as LeBron. The only guy who took a backseat was Bosh.

The change in Wade's appraoch to the game has been well observed and documented.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/st ... ice-lebron

Lebron opens the floor for others when the double team comes and Wade is there to punish you for it. But the offense now completely flows through Lebron. Early on they tried to share the load. It won them a lot of games because they are just that good. But they weren't as good as they could be until Wade assumed the wing man role.

Lebron and Durant would be an incredible duo that would dominate the league. Does that mean there isn't another possible pairing that could work better together? No. Not necessarily and not in my opinion.
Mr Magic Fan
Senior
And1: 433

Post#39 » by Mr Magic Fan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Mr Magic Fan wrote:Devin nailed it. It has to be LeBron, Durant and the brow. Not only are they an amazing fit, but all three are elite on both sides of the ball. Additionally, as Davis grows as a player the team will only get better. Those three would be basketball utopia.

Just a note. Durant has never made a first or second all-defensive team. Durant is the single greatest offensive threat in the game today. But he is not an elite defender.

This season Durant has been really good defensively. Per Zach Lowe:

Durant was a better defender than James this season, an unexpected turn. He can still lunge himself out of position in help-and-recover situations, but his giant wingspan and effort level make up for a lot of those spacing hiccups. He’s a menace closing out on shooters, and forget about scoring on him one-on-one; opponents have shot just 28 percent in isolations against Durant this season, per Synergy Sports.
HeartAndHustle
Senior
And1: 58

Post#40 » by HeartAndHustle » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Victor Oladipo (Floor general and defender extraordinaire)
Pat Garrity in his Prime (dead eye shooter, spaces the floor)
Dewayne Dedmon (with the 2 above, he can just coast and collect rings)
:nod:

Return to Orlando Magic