ImageImageImageImage

Victor Oladipo: Rookie Season Grade

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: Victor Oladipo: Rookie Season Grade 

Post#21 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:03 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:B-. One of the best rookies in a weak rookie class, kind of equates to being a slightly above average rookie.

Negatives
Below average in both win shares and PER.
One of the worst shooter in the league when you factor in his usage
Bad on the turnover

Positives
On the good side, he gets to the line a lot. This makes me feel like his scoring efficiency can improve once he stops settling for jumpers.
The turnovers will come down when he becomes more comfortable.
Guys get easier to guard as you see them more. This will help him defensively going forward.

This is a very good evaluation. Nice work Robb.

As I said when we first drafted Dipo, he has the look of Robin, not Batman. If we can grab a guy like Jabari Parker who can (hopefully) grow into a franchise player and an elite offensive weapon, then Dipo can focus more on what he does well (attacking and getting to the line) rather than forcing shots. I suspect the addition of a guy like Parker would do wonders for Dipo and the Magic.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#22 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:05 pm

I give him an A.

He has been pretty much yanked around and screwed over all season by our "coach" and should've been starting from at least after the all-star break. But, he has been a great rookie, who has improved as the season went on. It's very rare that you see actual improvement while the season is still going.

He turned into an above average 3 point shooter at the end of the year, shooting 38%. He lowered his TO's ever so slightly too. He even shot more efficiently these last 10 games or so, I believe.

I expect great things from him. And unlike some people, I can easily see him become our franchise player.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#23 » by Reverse_Angle » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Komodo wrote:
eyriq wrote:I think I'm leaning towards a C+.

Good scorer, rebounder, and defender, average passer and shooter. The turnovers drag down his grade IMO. I think he's the ROY.

MCW is objectively the ROY. Dipo's 2nd.

objectively? Not really. I do not think there is a consensus here. For example, Simmons recently wrote that he could not possibly vote for someone who lost 26 games in a row. This was my reasoning all along. NBA is still a winner's league. Consistent losing changes things.

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#24 » by Komodo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Reverse_Angle wrote:
Komodo wrote:

Good scorer, rebounder, and defender, average passer and shooter. The turnovers drag down his grade IMO. I think he's the ROY.

objectively? Not really. I do not think there is a consensus here. For example, Simmons recently wrote that he could not possibly vote for someone who lost 26 games in a row. This was my reasoning all along. NBA is still a winner's league. Consistent losing changes things.

I'm a Dipo fan, but I think it is objective. ROY is all about the #'s, but not only that, MCW passes the eye test. He's very good. I think it would have been closer if Dipo has free reign and played starting PG min all year (with Jameer traded), it would be closer, but still in MCW's favor. MCW just beats him in every statistical category, including all the advanced stats. Like I said, I'm a big Dipo fan and he flashed moments of greatness (and passed the eye test), but so did MCW. There's nothing wrong with that, let Dipo use it as motivation. And hopefully Jameer is traded for spare parts.
qwasimodo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by qwasimodo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Reverse_Angle wrote:
Komodo wrote:

The team's success or winning percentage shouldn't be a huge factor in ROY. Dwight didn't win ROY at the time even though he was on a team with a much better winning percentage than Okafor, had even very similar numbers despite being just the forth option on offense and Okafor was the clear number one on his team.

Basketball is a team sport and the Coach's decisions also factor in how many wins a team can produce. Philly's objective clearly was to lose as many games as possible in order to get a high chance at the number 1 pick. Not even Rookie Lebron could've done much better with the team the Sixers fielded during that 26 losing game stretch.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#26 » by Phila Tough » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Komodo wrote:
Reverse_Angle wrote:
Komodo wrote:

I'm a Dipo fan, but I think it is objective. ROY is all about the #'s, but not only that, MCW passes the eye test. He's very good. I think it would have been closer if Dipo has free reign and played starting PG min all year (with Jameer traded), it would be closer, but still in MCW's favor. MCW just beats him in every statistical category, including all the advanced stats. Like I said, I'm a big Dipo fan and he flashed moments of greatness (and passed the eye test), but so did MCW. There's nothing wrong with that, let Dipo use it as motivation. And hopefully Jameer is traded for spare parts.

This.

MCW is an incredible player and I feel sorry for people who root against him because their vendetta against philly. It's way to early to say things like victor will be the better player going forward. Olidipo was the #2 overall pick and favorite to win ROY. Some experts were saying MCW will be out of the league somewhere down the road, yet people root against him and ridicule his flaws as if he isn't a rookie too. All because their dislike of Philly or because our happiness about something finally going right for is coming off as arrogance. Guess who we had when you guys had Dwight dunking on everyone?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#27 » by Skin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 pm

I think that MWC will win ROY and that doesn't bother me at all. Good job by the Sixers for taking the chance on him.

That said, it doesn't make me wish one bit that we had taken him over Oladipo. MWC is the superior PG right now. He should be. I wouldn't expect Dipo to overtake him as a PG in his first year doing it while MWC has so much more experience there. I do think Dipo is the superior talent though and he met all my expectations for him (which were pretty dang high).

I have full confidence that Dipo will continue his progression into a Superstar.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#28 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:54 pm

mcw obviously roy but the race would have been closer if Oladipo had been given every opportunity mcw had.

They are both considerably much better than Burke who had the keys handed to him and still fell under oladipo.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#29 » by GANGSTERDOG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 am

D minus

I expected 23-8-7 highly disappointed !!!!!!!!
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#30 » by damo[23] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:48 am

I'll give him an A- as a rookie.

He had some fantastic games, and definitely was learning all year, including a new role that was clearly foreign to him. I think if we didn't have AA he'd have had a better season as he could have just made that SG his own. I think he showed he could be a great player.

He arguably is not going to be "build around" player, but the sort of guy that you kill to have as your #2, someone who plays both sides of the court, has pace and energy for days, and can just pump a team up.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#31 » by BaunceyChillups » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Play him at his natural position next to a point guard that isn't Jameer Nelson's corpse and he'll be much better

Return to Orlando Magic