ImageImageImageImage

Cap Space

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Re: Cap Space 

Post#21 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:57 pm

With the cap limit raising, that'll also raise the cap floor. I know we'll have fat boy and Harrington still on the books, but what about Arenas? If he's finally done, we have to spend to meet the minimum.
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#22 » by Go Magic » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:07 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Go Magic wrote:2015. Kevin Durant. My vote is to save it this year. Probably another Jason Maxiel type signing.

Durant is a free agent till 2016. so we would have to wait another year. And yeah I don't think we will be spending much in free agency this year. I think we could see a decent deal offered to guys like Epke Udoh or Avery Bradley if we can pry them away from their current teams which I think is possible. Not a huge deal but something bigger than what we gave Maxiel. Something like 4-6 mill per year. We should still have plenty of cap space to make a max offer in 2015 should we choose to do so.

Yea thats what I meant. Thanks for the corrections. I definitely connect Hennigan's recent comments with the fact that we aren't expecting to compete for at least another season, leading me to truly believe that Durant is in play. Durants comments about Orlando, the Henny/KD connection plus the young core we are establishing are all reasons to think that it is a possibility. If we don't spend much cap this offseason, it will lead me to even further believe in KD2ORL.

Bradley would be a terrific addition to pair with Dipo in the backcourt, but I can't imagine us having money to sign him, Vooch, Harris and an elite free agent. Whatever we do, I trust in Henny to make the best decisions.
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#23 » by ralphie9898 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am

Go Magic wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Go Magic wrote:2015. Kevin Durant. My vote is to save it this year. Probably another Jason Maxiel type signing.

Durant is a free agent till 2016. so we would have to wait another year. And yeah I don't think we will be spending much in free agency this year. I think we could see a decent deal offered to guys like Epke Udoh or Avery Bradley if we can pry them away from their current teams which I think is possible. Not a huge deal but something bigger than what we gave Maxiel. Something like 4-6 mill per year. We should still have plenty of cap space to make a max offer in 2015 should we choose to do so.

Yea thats what I meant. Thanks for the corrections. I definitely connect Hennigan's recent comments with the fact that we aren't expecting to compete for at least another season, leading me to truly believe that Durant is in play. Durants comments about Orlando, the Henny/KD connection plus the young core we are establishing are all reasons to think that it is a possibility. If we don't spend much cap this offseason, it will lead me to even further believe in KD2ORL.

Bradley would be a terrific addition to pair with Dipo in the backcourt, but I can't imagine us having money to sign him, Vooch, Harris and an elite free agent. Whatever we do, I trust in Henny to make the best decisions.

First off Durant is two seasons away not one. He isn't a free agent until the 2016 offseason which is two years away not one. So we would have to hold onto our money not only this year but net year as well. As for not having enough money we have ore than enough. Vuc and Harris aren't going to cost as much as you think. They aren't eligible for more than about 14 mill per year. That is about the max for players with their experience level( I am not sure about the exact number but it is close to that).

I also think they can be resigned for less than that, especially Harris. Plus those extensions wouldn't impact the cap until 2015. We can also go over the cap to resign them which we shouldn't have to as we are on pace for 48.5 mill(with the new cap projections) minus the extensions for Vuc and Harris and the holds for our 1st rd draft pick, which I expect to be around 20-24 mill so that leaves us with plenty of room(about 24.5 mill which would likely increase by 7.5 mill when AA opts out).
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#24 » by ralphie9898 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:04 am

Nyce_1 wrote:With the cap limit raising, that'll also raise the cap floor. I know we'll have fat boy and Harrington still on the books, but what about Arenas? If he's finally done, we have to spend to meet the minimum.

Actually we don't have to. And the penalty for not doing so isn't that significant. We would just be fined the amount we are under it and it is divided amongst the players we have. It happened to Philly this year after they shed all that money at the deadline this year.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#25 » by KingRobb02 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:07 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:With the cap limit raising, that'll also raise the cap floor. I know we'll have fat boy and Harrington still on the books, but what about Arenas? If he's finally done, we have to spend to meet the minimum.

Actually we don't have to. And the penalty for not doing so isn't that significant. We would just be fined the amount we are under it and it is divided amongst the players we have. It happened to Philly this year after they shed all that money at the deadline this year.

Actually Philly did the opposite. They took on the Granger contact to get above the floor and then paid him not to play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#26 » by Go Magic » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:
Go Magic wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:Durant is a free agent till 2016. so we would have to wait another year. And yeah I don't think we will be spending much in free agency this year. I think we could see a decent deal offered to guys like Epke Udoh or Avery Bradley if we can pry them away from their current teams which I think is possible. Not a huge deal but something bigger than what we gave Maxiel. Something like 4-6 mill per year. We should still have plenty of cap space to make a max offer in 2015 should we choose to do so.

First off Durant is two seasons away not one. He isn't a free agent until the 2016 offseason which is two years away not one. So we would have to hold onto our money not only this year but net year as well. As for not having enough money we have ore than enough. Vuc and Harris aren't going to cost as much as you think. They aren't eligible for more than about 14 mill per year. That is about the max for players with their experience level( I am not sure about the exact number but it is close to that).

I also think they can be resigned for less than that, especially Harris. Plus those extensions wouldn't impact the cap until 2015. We can also go over the cap to resign them which we shouldn't have to as we are on pace for 48.5 mill(with the new cap projections) minus the extensions for Vuc and Harris and the holds for our 1st rd draft pick, which I expect to be around 20-24 mill so that leaves us with plenty of room(about 24.5 mill which would likely increase by 7.5 mill when AA opts out).

First off, I said thanks for the correction. But then you felt the need to reiterate the fact, twice. Im glad you feel smart for knowing when Durant becomes a free agent. Great job pal.

As for your cap projections, we can go over the cap to sign Vooch and Harric, but that, like you say 12 times, would be a year before any chance at signing KD. So if we go over the cap to sign both of those guys, we could then not sign anyone else for more than the MLE. We would have to make the free agency signings before extending them.

Im not even gonna get into your exact cap projections, because these numbers only represent about half the team at that time. In your scenario, you leave 32 million cap, but have to sign like 6 guys with it. If you weren't so vague, maybe I could understand your point.

So what does Durant being a free agent in 2016 have anything to do with anything? He will be the best player in the league at that time. Are you arguing that you wouldn't make a run at him or are you just trying to argue simple facts like future extensions and cap space? My original point was that we won't be signing any big names until Durant becomes available, whether its 2015 or 2020, in order to conserve cap space and continue the youth progression.
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#27 » by ralphie9898 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Go Magic wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:
Go Magic wrote:Yea thats what I meant. Thanks for the corrections. I definitely connect Hennigan's recent comments with the fact that we aren't expecting to compete for at least another season, leading me to truly believe that Durant is in play. Durants comments about Orlando, the Henny/KD connection plus the young core we are establishing are all reasons to think that it is a possibility. If we don't spend much cap this offseason, it will lead me to even further believe in KD2ORL.

First off, I said thanks for the correction. But then you felt the need to reiterate the fact, twice. Im glad you feel smart for knowing when Durant becomes a free agent. Great job pal.

As for your cap projections, we can go over the cap to sign Vooch and Harric, but that, like you say 12 times, would be a year before any chance at signing KD. So if we go over the cap to sign both of those guys, we could then not sign anyone else for more than the MLE. We would have to make the free agency signings before extending them.

Im not even gonna get into your exact cap projections, because these numbers only represent about half the team at that time. In your scenario, you leave 32 million cap, but have to sign like 6 guys with it. If you weren't so vague, maybe I could understand your point.

So what does Durant being a free agent in 2016 have anything to do with anything? He will be the best player in the league at that time. Are you arguing that you wouldn't make a run at him or are you just trying to argue simple facts like future extensions and cap space? My original point was that we won't be signing any big names until Durant becomes available, whether its 2015 or 2020, in order to conserve cap space and continue the youth progression.

Sorry dude I misinterpreted your response. When I read it I wasn't sure you understood that point so sorry about that.

As for your point about us going over the cap to resign Vuc and Harris. yes I said we could but that was in addition to a max or near max free agent. If we choose to sign a big time free agent in 2015 we can then resign Vuc and Harris Resigning those two will not put us over the cap. And you don't know what Henny will do anymore than I do. He may decide to wait and hold onto the space to pursue Durant or we may not. But we have to make decision on Vuc and Harris by 2015 so if we do resign them that isn't going to leave much room for Durant. And there is no guarantee Durant would leave OKC. OKC would be able to offer him the most money and they have a championship caliber team that would be hard to leave. I don't think you can pin your hopes on getting Durant. Yeah he is a great player and I would love to have him too but we can still become a team that is a title contender without him.

What if we end up drafting Wiggins or Parker an either one ends up being just as good. There wouldn't be that much of a need for Durant. And you said that we wouldn't have enough rom to sign Bradley, resign those two and sign a star. Well my point about the money was to show that we can just that I question if it will be Durant because of the timing on when the extensions for Vuc and Harris would kick in. They would kick in before we get to the summer of 2016. Those extensions wouldn't put us up against the cap but they wouldn't leave enough room for us to sign Durant. But we can add a big time free agent in 2015 where there are some very good names that could be available. Yeah they may not be Durant but there are some that aren't that far behind him in terms of talent. We can sign a star in 2015 and then also resign Vuc and Harris and get someone like Bradley this summer and get it all under the cap. Bradley or someone like him isn't going to cost a whole lot. It wouldn't be a minimum deal but it also wouldn't be that big of a deal.

But bottom line is that neither of us know what Henny will do. I am just stating some facts that may indicate what will happen but again they may not. We may not even look to resign Vuc or Harris as maybe we trade them before that happens. All I am talking about is facts that may get in the way of signing Durant. And saying that I just don't think you can focus on one guy that may never come or we may not be able to sign. If he was a free agent in 2015 that would make it easier but he isn't and with the timing we may not even have the money available to lure him away. And signing him isn't the sole way to build a contender.

I think you try and look at all the options out there if you are a GM but at the same time you have to be able see that some of those options may not be that likely or maybe even impossible. Not saying that signing Durant is impossible just saying that I don't think it is likely. But Henny may feel it is or he may feel it isn't. But you can't say that we won't sign any big name free agents until 2016 as if you know that we won't. It is purely a belief that you think it will happen rather than you knowing what Henny will do. There is no guarantee either way. You could end up being right or you could be wrong. We could sign a big free agent this summer or next summer. It is a possibility and we do have the cap space\ to do it if Henny chooses to do so.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#28 » by ralphie9898 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:19 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

Actually Philly did the opposite. They took on the Granger contact to get above the floor and then paid him not to play.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah they took on Granger but they were still under the salary floor and had to pay that price/penalty for doing so. My point was that it can happen and has happened before. We don't have to meet the salary floor and if we don' the penalty isn't that significant. Not saying that that is what we will do just countering that point that said we had to meet he salary floor.

Return to Orlando Magic