ImageImageImageImage

trade idea from a pistons fan

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: trade idea from a pistons fan 

Post#21 » by OrlandO » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Next Gen Magic wrote:I think josh smith just need to get his confidence get back, I loved him back in the days in atlanta and always wanted to see him pairing with howard in a magic unfiorm, that would've been huge

He has too much confidence in a shot that he's incapable of making... that's his problem.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#22 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Image

:clap:
aka: prorl
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#23 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:03 pm

If we're tanking next year, then yeah welcome aboard josh!!!!
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#24 » by NEM » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 pm

No for a couple of reason. Smiths contract is awful and afflalo fits better here. I also believe that another lottery pick would be overkill, unless we are making a play for an unhappy star, in which case Love is the only one who comes to mind and smith plays his position. Please don't say kyrie Irving because he's not going anywhere this offseason, AND him and smith would not be a good thing here.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
MaceWindu
Junior
And1: 121

Post#25 » by MaceWindu » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 am

I could give my opinion, but not a chance in hell Henny poisons our growing locker room with an albatross in Smith.

Sent from my XT1080 using RealGM Forums mobile app
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#26 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:21 am

Awful contract and his shot chart has so much blood in it:
http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=2746
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 838

Post#27 » by I Rasharted » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 am

Poor Pistons fans.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#28 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:20 am

i think much of smith's ineffectiveness this year is due to playing out of position on a team with no spacing for him to operate, but even then i dont want his contract.
magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#29 » by magic22s » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 am

I would do it with 8th overall pick and other fillers for afflalo and harkless.

Josh smith's contract is too big to make the deal work lol. :lol:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#30 » by Bensational » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:44 am

It's not a bad offer at all. Josh Smith would certainly help this team defensively - if he focused on defense.

His contract is pretty atrocious though. If we're gonna commit that kind of money to a player I'd rather throw it at Bosh/Favors in free agency.

The other thing is that a player would have to slide in the Draft to make it worth our while. Otherwise, it's pretty par for par from 8-12.
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#31 » by Go Magic » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:16 am

jakebernat wrote:the way i see it, your team needs a good PF, and my team needs help on the wings badly. seeing as how we're most likely gonna lock up monroe, smith has no real spot on the team (he never really did...) so this is one of the most balanced trades i found. obviously smith's deal is big over the next 3 seasons, but you guys have the extra money to spend seeing as how your team is mostly comprised of rookie deals.

He would take too much time from our young players. Harkless is a flat out baller that will figure it out soon. Afflac is worth more than the 7th pick in my opinion. Smith doesn't fit on our team, Id prefer to start Oquinn and play Harris at the 4.

Also, we are going to use our salary cap you speak of to sign Kevin Durant next off-season.

Man, Josh Smith is about the worst trade option, not only on the Pistons, but probably in the league. Id prefer a number of Detroit players over him.
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#32 » by ralphie9898 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Go Magic wrote:
jakebernat wrote:the way i see it, your team needs a good PF, and my team needs help on the wings badly. seeing as how we're most likely gonna lock up monroe, smith has no real spot on the team (he never really did...) so this is one of the most balanced trades i found. obviously smith's deal is big over the next 3 seasons, but you guys have the extra money to spend seeing as how your team is mostly comprised of rookie deals.

He would take too much time from our young players. Harkless is a flat out baller that will figure it out soon. Afflac is worth more than the 7th pick in my opinion. Smith doesn't fit on our team, Id prefer to start Oquinn and play Harris at the 4.

Also, we are going to use our salary cap you speak of to sign Kevin Durant next off-season.

Man, Josh Smith is about the worst trade option, not only on the Pistons, but probably in the league. Id prefer a number of Detroit players over him.

Durant isn't a free agent next offseason. He isn't until 2016 which is two off-seasons away.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#33 » by ralphie9898 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:14 pm

yeah the 8th pick is enticing but Smith's contract is just two big. I would have to say no as if we add Smith we would be pretty much stuck with that. Throw in extensions and draft picks and we wouldn't have much space to add much. Trades and whatever draft picks would be our only resource for the next few years until Smith's contract runs out which is still a ways away. We wouldn't be much of a player for free agents in 2015 or beyond. Plus there is the chance that Smith doesn't get back to his form he had in Atlanta where he was worth that kind of money. If he continues to play like he did in Detroit he would be vastly overpaid and not that much good to us. So I would say no.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#34 » by ralphie9898 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

magic22s wrote:I would do it with 8th overall pick and other fillers for afflalo and harkless.

Josh smith's contract is too big to make the deal work lol. :lol:

yeah I am not sure Detroit would do that. I am not sure Detroit values AA enough to give up the eighth pick and Harkless doesn't have that much value to where I think he would ridge he gap. Even the eighth pick could yield a really good player who could be much better than AA down the road.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#35 » by trebone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:27 pm

What if we did it and then flipped him and the wonk(maybenot) in a 3way to a team like NY who would be looking for any way to keep Melo say THjr/1st/shump/expiring coming back to us?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#36 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 pm

It depends who Orlando takes with their top pick and who is available at #8.

If Marcus Smart drops to #8 I'll take the deal. At #12 we can grab Stauskas.

Josh Smith's contract isn't friendly but for his energy, experience and productivity it isn't horrible so long as we grab the right players with our picks. In the end, a good amount of our upcoming cap space will be spent on resigning our own players. Smith can be the FA catch without hurting our ability to extend guys like Vuc.

PG: Smart, Nelson
SG: Dipo, Stauskas
SF: Wiggins, Harris
PF: Smith, Harris
C: Vuc, O'quinn

That is a great defensive team that will get to the foul line a lot. This isn't going to win a title next year but this can easily make the playoffs in the East.

Sadly the Kings were very very hot for Rajon Rondo at the trade deadline. Missing on him may have been a blessing in disguise if Marcus Smart (a bit of a Rondo clone) is alive at #7. So I doubt Smart makes it passed them to #8, but you never know.
Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#37 » by Baka_La Flame » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:54 am

If we can trade Afflalo for Smooth and flip the wonk for the 8th pick I would be all for it. Josh would be the perfect compliment to Vuc and his contract confidently expired when Dipo is up for extention. There's a decent chance Vonleh or Smart could fall to 8.. if theryre gone McDermott or Gary Harris would be solid. Not too long ago josh smith was a very productive player and even last season in a down year he put up solid numberes. Could we realistically land a better player in FA??
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#38 » by cedric76 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 am

Detroit might not have their pick anyway
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#39 » by ezzzp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 am

Orlandipo wrote:If we can trade Afflalo for Smooth and flip the wonk for the 8th pick I would be all for it. Josh would be the perfect compliment to Vuc and his contract confidently expired when Dipo is up for extention. There's a decent chance Vonleh or Smart could fall to 8.. if theryre gone McDermott or Gary Harris would be solid. Not too long ago josh smith was a very productive player and even last season in a down year he put up solid numberes. Could we realistically land a better player in FA??

Smith's contract isn't pretty - but your right he would be nice next to Vuc. He's such a polarizing player though. Not sure Hennigan wants that type of player in the locker room with so many young guys there.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#40 » by cedric76 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am

If vonleh or smart r available at 8, I d do it in heart beat

Josh could start at pf for us and as soon as he start playing well, his trade value would go up
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Return to Orlando Magic