ImageImageImageImage

Embiid/ Exum or smart combo in magic uniform

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Magic_Time
Sophomore
And1: 39

Embiid/ Exum or smart combo in magic uniform 

Post#1 » by Magic_Time » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm not saying it will be possible, but nothing is impossible.. just a reminder to anyone reading this post, it's just an opinion.. Everything i'm going to point out is not more crazy than when some of us think that we'll have 2 top 3picks this year..smh.. lol.. :noway: :lol:

I'm going straight to the point of how it may happen..

First let's list the top 7 players of this draft.
Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Randle, Smart, Vonleh and Exum.
and that on draft night Exum or smart actually fell out of the top 6 picks..

Let's say we are due to pick between the 3rd and the 4rth pick and Embiid is still available, than we take him..

Now let's think about the possibility that the Lakers, since they wanna get back to the playoffs as soon as next year, don't think Exum or Smart if available is ready and actually trade their pick to a team that is not really sold on either Exum or Smart..

And just at the start of the draft we make a deal with the Kings for their 7th pick and fillers by offering them Afflalo, the 12th pick and fillers.. They accept and Exum or Smart is available so we just take the one who is there.
Why the kings would do it, it's because they might think it's time next year for them to make the playoffs and can't wait on another year to develop a rookie..

think about this lineup:

Vuc
Embiid
Harris
Ola
Exum/Smart

Don't care about what people say about the Vuc and Embiid duo, I think it can work.. the same can be said for the Ola and Smart duo..
What do you guys think..
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Re: Embiid/ Exum or smart combo in magic uniform 

Post#2 » by Darth Magic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Magic_Time wrote:I'm not saying it will be possible, but nothing is impossible.. just a reminder to anyone reading this post, it's just an opinion.. Everything i'm going to point out is not more crazy than when some of us think that we'll have 2 top 3picks this year..smh.. lol.. :noway: :lol:

Let's say we are due to pick between the 3rd and the 4rth pick and Embiid is still available, than we take him..

Now let's think about the possibility that the Lakers, since they wanna get back to the playoffs as soon as next year, don't think Exum or Smart if available is ready and actually trade their pick to a team that is not really sold on either Exum or Smart..

And just at the start of the draft we make a deal with the Kings for their 7th pick and fillers by offering them Afflalo, the 12th pick and fillers.. They accept and Exum or Smart is available so we just take the one who is there.
Why the kings would do it, it's because they might think it's time next year for them to make the playoffs and can't wait on another year to develop a rookie..

think about this lineup:

Vuc
Embiid
Harris
Ola
Exum/Smart

Don't care about what people say about the Vuc and Embiid duo, I think it can work.. the same can be said for the Ola and Smart duo..
What do you guys think..

Not enough shooting
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#3 » by orthoman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 pm

If we pick third, choice will probably be Parker. His personality & demeanor fit the team. Should be doable to move up to #6/7 with the WoNk pick + Afflalo.

In the end, who Hennigan selects will be based on the ping pong balls, interviews, and workouts.
Magic_Time
Sophomore

Post#4 » by Magic_Time » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
Magic_Time wrote:I'm not saying it will be possible, but nothing is impossible.. just a reminder to anyone reading this post, it's just an opinion.. Everything i'm going to point out is not more crazy than when some of us think that we'll have 2 top 3picks this year..smh.. lol.. :noway: :lol:

think about this lineup:

Vuc
Embiid
Harris
Ola
Exum/Smart

What do you guys think..

Not enough shooting

I see wt you mean and I also knew that, I think they can improve at it since they are all hard working players..
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Sign me up for any of Parker, Wiggins, Randle with Ennis!
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#6 » by BCS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 am

orthoman wrote:If we pick third, choice will probably be Parker. His personality & demeanor fit the team. Should be doable to move up to #6/7 with the WoNk pick + Afflalo.

In the end, who Hennigan selects will be based on the ping pong balls, interviews, and workouts.

His personality might fit the team, but I just can't say the same about his game style fit, especially when we have a similar player in Harris, I would select him if he is BPA, but try and trade down for Exum or Randle if still available.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 am

i dont really think we need any more rookies than 2 more next year and no one is trading the pick that gets smart in this draft.

Besides, Smart doesnt shoot well enough to pair with oladipo, at least not immediately.
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#8 » by majortom71 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:i dont really think we need any more rookies than 2 more next year and no one is trading the pick that gets smart in this draft.

Besides, Smart doesnt shoot well enough to pair with oladipo, at least not immediately.

I am not sure why people want a Ray Allen out of Marcus Smart?

Smart has so many intangibles that will help the magic, he is a natural leader and brings his A game to the table.
He plays tough defense and gets his team involved.
He can get to the line easily.

I mean Dwayne Wade is not a great shooter but still he is a future HOF guard. I think Smart can develop his game similarly but as a better floor captain than Wade.
It's also expected for rookies to struggle shooting their first year, they will develop this.

I don't see the Magic being a playoff team next year, but if they get Embid and Smart/Exum they could be close.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#9 » by j-ragg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Smart is kind of a less athletic version of Oladipo. They just don't compliment each other very well.

Exum or even Ennis would be much more favorable next to him.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#10 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 pm

j-ragg wrote:Smart is kind of a less athletic version of Oladipo. They just don't compliment each other very well.

I'm a HUGE Smart fan, but I agree about VO and him together.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#11 » by tranjSAIC » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm

j-ragg wrote:Smart is kind of a less athletic version of Oladipo. They just don't compliment each other very well.

But he has better PG instincts, plus his form isn't broken or anything. I think he will develop his J once in the league. All he needs is more reps and not play so much hero ball.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#12 » by j-ragg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:

But he has better PG instincts, plus his form isn't broken or anything. I think he will develop his J once in the league. All he needs is more reps and not play so much hero ball.

I feel like for a successful backcourt to work, one needs to be an above average jump shooter and one needs to be an above average playmaker. Or both, obviously.

If they both are neither I don't think it'll work out. Just my opinion on it. I know the Magic were in love with Smart last year.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#13 » by The Effect » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Pretty sure that either the Lakers or(and?) Celtics will "win" the lottery and be drafting the top 3 (no way can the NBA allow both of these teams to struggle for long), so i see our pick being 4 or 5, and just hoping to get either Embiid or Exum, no way do i see us getting both
94_MagicFan
Senior
And1: 59

Post#14 » by 94_MagicFan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 am

Kinda had the same idea but a little more doubtful only henny knows who he wants and if he fell in love with exum and we have the #1pick so we draft wiggins for the sixers who have the #4 pick the deal is we swap 1 and 4 but also swap the 10 and 12 picks so we end up with the 4th exum and the 10th Whoever kings want so after that trade is finalized we then trade the 10th and Aaron to the kings for for the 7th pick being either Gordon or vonleh so after the draft we end up with
Exum
Oladipo
Harris
Vonleh or Gordon
Vuc
Follow!!! @13edm

#WeWill
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#15 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 am

majortom71 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:i dont really think we need any more rookies than 2 more next year and no one is trading the pick that gets smart in this draft.

I am not sure why people want a Ray Allen out of Marcus Smart?

Smart has so many intangibles that will help the magic, he is a natural leader and brings his A game to the table.
He plays tough defense and gets his team involved.
He can get to the line easily.

I mean Dwayne Wade is not a great shooter but still he is a future HOF guard. I think Smart can develop his game similarly but as a better floor captain than Wade.
It's also expected for rookies to struggle shooting their first year, they will develop this.

I don't see the Magic being a playoff team next year, but if they get Embid and Smart/Exum they could be close.

the wade comp to smart is really bad.

Wade wasnt a three point shooter but he was a very good midrange shooter, which is basically a college three which smart is not good at. Wade is also a superior athlete and creative finisher. Overall I think comparing Smart to the HOFer that is wade is a bad idea.

Oladipo is a laughably bad shooter but i think part of that is due to playing out of position. However that doesnt mean we should take an even worse shooter and make HIM the point guard. Overall picking Smart when u already have dipo is a bad idea because they are so much alike but overall dipo is better.

This is all redundant of course since we have no chance at two top 6 picks.
Magic_Time
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Magic_Time » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:44 am

To me, this is the best case scenario I can see for this team come draft night...

first we get Ebiid then we make a trade with the lakers who are on a win now period to get Exum..
We give them Affla, nelson, Maxiel and our 2016 first Rd Pck for their pick and Kendal M.
they'll have some great backups players and All they'll need to do is upgrading their small forward position (Deng maybe) and maybe the center position. If necessary, we can even let the keep the pick they ow us.
Another positive side, we won't have to trade the 12(wonk) pick..
Yes by the time 2016 arrives we'll be out of the lottery and we will have enough talent and even sign a steady good free agent player over the 2015 and 2016 period that will put us in playoffs contention. So that 2016 first pick wont hurt us much..

With the 12 pick we can select anyone we see fit (Young, Stauscas, anderson..wtv..)

Starting lineup

Vuc
Embiid
Tobias
Ola
Exu

Bench

Deadmond
Oquin
Hark
Stauskas
Kendal

Great all around team, If 2 years later all the players in the starting lineup play to their potential, we won't even need to sign any big time free agents, maybe a shooter or 2 off the bench..

Take a close look at the Spurs, Mav, Griz, Bullets, Trailblazers, 2009lakers(just recently) and tell me what's one thing they all have in common?... 2 legit skilled(maybe just one) 6.11'- 7' post players and a dominant or a really good to decent wing player. See how much trouble Bulls, thunder, even houston with Howard are having against teams with 2 dominants 6.11'-7'..

Am telling you guys, It never gets old.. Yes the league is shaping to shorter more athletic power forwards, but comes to playoffs time, teams like Spurs, dallas, Griz, 2009 lakers dominate..

So, I don't care what anybody is saying, That Ebiid,Vuc pairing with more skilled better shooter tony Allen (oladipo), an improve Half Carmelo lite(Harris) and a probable future star in Exum, will get us to be title contenders every single season.. Don't forget the toughness from the bench..
gumbyr24
Senior
And1: 443

Post#17 » by gumbyr24 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:10 pm

orthoman wrote:If we pick third, choice will probably be Parker. His personality & demeanor fit the team. Should be doable to move up to #6/7 with the WoNk pick + Afflalo.

If we pick third there really won't be much of a choice.
We'll pick who's left over from the obvious top 3

Return to Orlando Magic