ImageImageImageImage

Vaughn & Hennigan extended through 2015-16

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Re: Vaughn & Hennigan extended through 2015-16 

Post#41 » by mhectorgato » Fri May 2, 2014 6:45 pm

jgosche wrote:Like any sane Magic fan, I have my grievances with JV. But I trust Henny, and if JV is Henny's guy, then I'm behind it for now.

We weren't trying to win last year. Go watch the last game season and see Afflalo get pulled in 6 minutes after shooting 3-3, and sit on the bench for the rest of the game. The last two years isn't what we're capable of, and I think we can start fairly judging JV during this upcoming season.

+1
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#42 » by ralphie9898 » Fri May 2, 2014 6:48 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I have no problem giving someone a shot to prove themselves. But, I have yet to see anything from Vaughn to show he can prove himself. Dude has poor rotations and was brought in for player development of which he failed miserably.

Seriously what did you expect him to do with a team like this. This team wasn't very good and there is only so much he can do. Plus he is pretty much a rookie coach. Give him some better players and some time and you never know.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#43 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 2, 2014 6:49 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Everyone is in agreement on Rob Hennigan deserving to have his option picked up.

On Head Coach Jacque Vaughn, to the ones who disagree, what did you expect these first two years during a slow rebuild?

Vaughn's job was to develop talent and while people think more of the same next year, I actually think this has a chance to make a run at the 8th seed, We shall see.

In the end, all The Magic did today was not make Jacque Vaughn a lame-duck head coach going into the last year of his contract and if The Magic let him go at the end of next season which could happen depending on how things go, The Magic have the money to easily eat that last year of his contract.

I don't think Vaughn is bad, just not good. He is mediocre at best.

And, if he was brought in to develop players, then why did Harris, Vooch, Nicholson, Harkless and Moore not improve. As far as Oladipo, he only improved because he got 30mpg. Anybody can improve on their own given plenty of playing time. Thus, Vaughn didn't do nothing for the franchise that can be seen on the court as far as player development, X's and O's or player rotations.

Now, if a coach coaches to lose for 2 straight years. That means he did a bad job for 2 years on purpose do you think he can just change after doing a job the wrong way for 160 games, 40-50 hours a week for 2 years straight. You don't just unlearn doing things the wrong way for so long. This team desperately needs a legit coach instead of one who is going to now try to unlearn all that he did wrong.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#44 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 2, 2014 6:51 pm

OrlandO wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Tanking was a team effort between Hennigan and Vaughn. Hard to see what Vaughn's got as a coach when winning wasn't a priority. He did what he was supposed to do these past two seasons, which was to secure top picks, keep the young players working hard and put them in every situation possible. Now he gets to try and win. He may prove to be a bad coach, but the point is our first real glimpse of his coaching will be next season.

FYI. Not developing players is not a way to build a team.

I'm guessing you're referring to how he limited Oladipo and Harris, especially in the last stretch of games? You realize we would have won more had he unleashed those guys, right?

I was thinking more along the lines of ruining Harkless and Nicholson while not improving Vooch or Harris after a year with them already.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#45 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri May 2, 2014 7:09 pm

I haven't liked a lot of things that JV has done, however its clearly obvious now that he is on line with management wanting to tank, so its hard to really say what kind of coach he really is. My guess, if he was not on line with the tank he would have been let go. Lets see how he does when we are really trying to make the playoffs before we really judge him.

In Rob we trust.
aka: prorl
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#46 » by mhectorgato » Fri May 2, 2014 7:41 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:I haven't liked a lot of things that JV has done, however its clearly obvious now that he is on line with management wanting to tank, so its hard to really say what kind of coach he really is. My guess, if he was not on line with the tank he would have been let go. Lets see how he does when we are really trying to make the playoffs before we really judge him.

In Rob we trust.

Or there was no tank ....

Or if there was ... the Nuremburg Defense didn't hold up then either ;)

(my one and only anti-tank comment for this thread)
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#47 » by OrlandO » Fri May 2, 2014 7:43 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I'm guessing you're referring to how he limited Oladipo and Harris, especially in the last stretch of games? You realize we would have won more had he unleashed those guys, right?

I was thinking more along the lines of ruining Harkless and Nicholson while not improving Vooch or Harris after a year with them already.

I actually like what Vaughn did to them. Vaughn even said in his exit interview that he wanted to put the young players in a variety of uncomfortable situations in order to strengthen them mentally. Neither of these guys are stars... Vaughn gave them an early reality check that their minutes are not guaranteed and need to be earned.

I'd say it worked for Harkless. He looked more motivated and gave better effort after being benched for a good chunk of the season. His FG%, steals and blocks all went up compared to earlier in the year when he was starting. And how do you know coaching staff didn't have a hand in his huge improvement in 3pt shooting?

Nicholson will never be a starter for us so he really needs to learn how to consistently produce with inconsistent minutes on this team. Look at Harris... dude put up great numbers as a starter and continued to produce while being limited. Offensively, Nicholson needs to man-up. Defensively, he actually has shown improvement and I credit the coaching staff for that. He still struggles on PnR defense, but he's holding his opponents to low percentages in many other areas, which was not the case the previous season.

Vuc did improve. Look up his synergy numbers for his post-up and spot-up defense, around 39-40% opposing FG%, which account for 70% of his time on that end of the floor. It's hard to tell if he improved offensively, but his per 36 scoring went up by 2 pts from the previous season.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#48 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 2, 2014 7:46 pm

Tell all ya'll what. If the Magic win over 35 games next year, I will use a Sig that says "Vaughn Prove me all wrong!!!"

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
magicdoc
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#49 » by magicdoc » Fri May 2, 2014 8:03 pm

this next year will be his proving year or he is gone! All he has to do now is get past 30 - 35 wins with 2 lottery picks- the team plays well together and they lost many games with less than 5 points- the whole season could have been different- let Jacques coach and see waht happens- hennigan doing good job-
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#50 » by Skin » Fri May 2, 2014 8:04 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Ruining Harkless and AN? Twisting lies! Vooch and Harris have arrived. They are now good established players who will get better as the team gets better. People were saying coming into the year that last year was a fluke for Harris and Vucevic is still raw, but it's gone past that now thanks to JV doing his job in establishing them.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#51 » by KingRobb02 » Fri May 2, 2014 8:15 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Everyone is in agreement on Rob Hennigan deserving to have his option picked up.

On Head Coach Jacque Vaughn, to the ones who disagree, what did you expect these first two years during a slow rebuild?

Vaughn's job was to develop talent and while people think more of the same next year, I actually think this has a chance to make a run at the 8th seed, We shall see.

In the end, all The Magic did today was not make Jacque Vaughn a lame-duck head coach going into the last year of his contract and if The Magic let him go at the end of next season which could happen depending on how things go, The Magic have the money to easily eat that last year of his contract.

Not everyone agrees on Hennigan, but whatever.

For Vaughn, I'm not disputing that the team is awful (by Hennigan's design). I'm just saying, JV will still be available in a year. Why not wait to extend him? Lame duck only works for politicians and people who are about to retire. In the real world, when people work contract to contract, they work harder when they are closer to expiring. It's the origin of the phrase "contract year".
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#52 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri May 2, 2014 8:16 pm

Max Power wrote:I'm sorry to reign on some parades here, to those calling Vaughn a bad coach, I ask this, how many coaches have done well in their first head coaching gigs just a year or two after being an assistant? Very few. Vaughn's not a good coach yet, he's only done it two years. Despite being in the playoffs it was pretty apparent Jason Kidd isn't a very good coach yet, but nobody's placed a guillotine outside his office, yet Vaughn has one? Vaughn's doing just as management asked and he'll coach this team with a playoff ready roster. Deal with it.
I actually don't think,we've seen Vaughns coaching style just yet.
I think its a great move. There has to be some consistency at that level during this transition. It takes more than 2 years to transform a team into a contender, people are just impatient.
Sent from my PH44100 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#53 » by TNMagicFan » Fri May 2, 2014 8:22 pm

Jacque Vaughn gonna prove y'all wrong !
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#54 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 2, 2014 8:34 pm

TNMagicFan wrote:Jacque Vaughn just might not prove y'all wrong !

FIXED!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#55 » by mhectorgato » Fri May 2, 2014 8:35 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Max Power wrote:I'm sorry to reign on some parades here, to those calling Vaughn a bad coach, I ask this, how many coaches have done well in their first head coaching gigs just a year or two after being an assistant? Very few. Vaughn's not a good coach yet, he's only done it two years. Despite being in the playoffs it was pretty apparent Jason Kidd isn't a very good coach yet, but nobody's placed a guillotine outside his office, yet Vaughn has one? Vaughn's doing just as management asked and he'll coach this team with a playoff ready roster. Deal with it.

I actually don't think,we've seen Vaughns coaching style just yet.
I think its a great move. There has to be some consistency at that level during this transition. It takes more than 2 years to transform a team into a contender, people are just impatient.
Sent from my PH44100 using RealGM Forums mobile app

"great move" -- was this for extending JV, Henny or both?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#56 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 2, 2014 8:37 pm

I give Vaughns chance of success rate at about 20% right now.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#57 » by Def Swami » Fri May 2, 2014 8:51 pm

Doesn't make sense to judge a coach when he's given orders to tank and/or given sub-par talent. Let's see what he does next season.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#58 » by BCS » Fri May 2, 2014 9:57 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:

Not everyone agrees on Hennigan, but whatever.

For Vaughn, I'm not disputing that the team is awful (by Hennigan's design). I'm just saying, JV will still be available in a year. Why not wait to extend him? Lame duck only works for politicians and people who are about to retire. In the real world, when people work contract to contract, they work harder when they are closer to expiring. It's the origin of the phrase "contract year".

This extension just confirms, if anyone had any doubt, that JV has been tanking at least this year on orders by upper management, henceforth the extension for a successful/masterful tanking job, maybe that was part of the deal, maybe they promised to pick up that extension at the end of the year if he had a successful tanking job which he did and this was his reward. Now he has 2 years to prove himself, that is all. Nothing surprising, just getting what he was probably promised for doing his part.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#59 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 2, 2014 9:59 pm

It is not like the Magic are going to compete for the ECF next year. Might as well give him a shot at provin people all wrong. Yet, I don't want to miss out on Stan Van Gundy going elsewhere. He is one of the only Elite coaching talents available.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#60 » by ralphie9898 » Fri May 2, 2014 10:18 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Whose to say he ruined them or that he was the reason Vuc or Harris didn't improve. Maybe those guys just hit their wall. I know we all wanted them to get better but that doesn't mean you can expect it and then if it doesn't blame someone else. Maybe it was just them. Vuc and Harris already made a jump and I am not sure that you are going to see another major jump like that. Which by the way Vaughn presided over last year. As for Hark and Nicholson maybe it was just a sophomore slump or maybe they aren't as good as we thought they would be. I don't think you can necessarily blame Vaughn for that. Yes he was factor in it but just because he was that doesn't mean that he or anyone else could have made them into a better player. Maybe the bigger factor was that these guys just aren't what we thought they were or what we expected them to become.

But if you want to blame Vaughn for that fine it is your right but then who do you contribute AA's improvement or Oladipo's continued progression through his rookie year or O'Quinn's emergence?

Return to Orlando Magic