ImageImageImageImage

2014 Prospects Full Game Links (A. GORDON/E. PAYTON)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: 2014 Prospects Full Game Links (A. GORDON/E. PAYTON) 

Post#61 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:45 pm

spinedoc wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:Payton ran the offense and found guys at an ELITE level in summer league. He looked fantastic running the show. His passing was a thing of beauty. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Says the guy with the Payton avatar. I hope you don't mind if I take that with a grain of salt. I haven't seen anything elite from anyone in SL actually, so don't take it personally. :D

yea you obviously havent watched him enough, or done enough research about him in general.
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#62 » by TNMagicFan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:these summer league games confirm my thoughts about payton: he is a taller rondo.

that's what I was thinking too , and since I'm a huge Rondo fan, I like it :D
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#63 » by spinedoc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
spinedoc wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:Payton ran the offense and found guys at an ELITE level in summer league. He looked fantastic running the show. His passing was a thing of beauty. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Says the guy with the Payton avatar. I hope you don't mind if I take that with a grain of salt. I haven't seen anything elite from anyone in SL actually, so don't take it personally. :D

yea you obviously havent watched him enough, or done enough research about him in general.

Alright, and you may be right, I certainly hope so anyway. I thought Curry looked just as good, if not better though. I'll reserve judgment until we get more from the kid during the season. I hope he exceeds your expectations, because I do like the idea of a bigger pg running with the smaller Dipo. Either way, we have some development to watch, the only question is how much.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#64 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:44 pm

TNMagicFan wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:these summer league games confirm my thoughts about payton: he is a taller rondo.

that's what I was thinking too , and since I'm a huge Rondo fan, I like it :D

He's starting out better than Rondo.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/summerleague ... stics.html
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#65 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 pm

spinedoc wrote:
Alright, and you may be right, I certainly hope so anyway. I thought Curry looked just as good, if not better though. I'll reserve judgment until we get more from the kid during the season. I hope he exceeds your expectations, because I do like the idea of a bigger pg running with the smaller Dipo. Either way, we have some development to watch, the only question is how much.

curry shot the ball well but thats the only thing he did better, and he's four year older.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#66 » by OrlandO » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 am

Curry better than Payton? Seth Curry?? :lol: Payton averaged 9 pts on 59% fg, 7 ast, 5 rebs, 1.4 stl, 0.6 blk and defended very well. Curry had literally one game where he shot well from three point range and that is all he did. No creating for his teammates, no rebounding, no defense, no free throws, nothing except threes. He is doron lamb 2.0. With his one dimensional play and limited size, he will be lucky to be a third stringer in this league.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#67 » by fendilim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:52 am

Curry was impressive. but Payton was more impressive.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#68 » by KillMonger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:07 am

OrlandO wrote:Curry better than Payton? Seth Curry?? :lol: Payton averaged 9 pts on 59% fg, 7 ast, 5 rebs, 1.4 stl, 0.6 blk and defended very well. Curry had literally one game where he shot well from three point range and that is all he did. No creating for his teammates, no rebounding, no defense, no free throws, nothing except threes. He is doron lamb 2.0. With his one dimensional play and limited size, he will be lucky to be a third stringer in this league.

Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#69 » by Tayswagzzz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 am

Do people even watch the games? Good grief lmao
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#70 » by OrlandO » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 am

My comment was before he scored 26 pts. He did not look good for us, especially when he handled pg responsibilities. His performance the other night in Vegas got my attention, but I still couldn't care less if we signed him or not. He's got one thing going for him and a lot going against him at the NBA level. I'd like to see us add a vet pg with our last roster spot.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#71 » by Melvinlocker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Tayswagzzz wrote:Do people even watch the games? Good grief lmao

I feel ya man.

I wish people would actually watch some of these college and U19 games and realize that they tell us a lot more than a SL or proAM game. Heck, I'd rather people actually watch the games and someone disagree with me than having someone tell me one of our prospects is or isn't great based on a highlight reel.

I know that if people actually watched these games and look at some relevant stats, then we would have great discussions on this board.
spinedoc
RealGM

Post#72 » by spinedoc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:

I feel ya man.

I wish people would actually watch some of these college and U19 games and realize that they tell us a lot more than a SL or proAM game. Heck, I'd rather people actually watch the games and someone disagree with me than having someone tell me one of our prospects is or isn't great based on a highlight reel.

I know that if people actually watched these games and look at some relevant stats, then we would have great discussions on this board.

Do you know what else would help to illicit great discussions on this board? A healthy dose of skepticism. When people are so convinced of what a stud we have on our hands, and chastise someone else for not looking at every youtube video or SL game in order to raise a reasonable amount of doubt, then that's a problem in my book. In order to have that discussion, it my need to take place other than a Magic forum, considering all the avatars and sigs of this guy already.

Let me try and make my point another way then. Here is a list of draft picks we made since '89 in the 10-15 range. Redick (11), Vazquez (11), Gaines (15), hunter (15), dooling (10), C. Alexander (13), Doleac (12), K. Clark (13), harpring (15), Dele (10), and Nick Anderson (11). So, how many of those picks went on to be studs, and probably had a lot of great tape on them too? I count only one, less tan 10%.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#73 » by Melvinlocker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:56 pm

spinedoc wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:

I feel ya man.

Do you know what else would help to illicit great discussions on this board? A healthy dose of skepticism. When people are so convinced of what a stud we have on our hands, and chastise someone else for not looking at every youtube video or SL game in order to raise a reasonable amount of doubt, then that's a problem in my book. In order to have that discussion, it my need to take place other than a Magic forum, considering all the avatars and sigs of this guy already.

Let me try and make my point another way then. Here is a list of draft picks we made since '89 in the 10-15 range. Redick (11), Vazquez (11), Gaines (15), hunter (15), dooling (10), C. Alexander (13), Doleac (12), K. Clark (13), harpring (15), Dele (10), and Nick Anderson (11). So, how many of those picks went on to be studs, and probably had a lot of great tape on them too? I count only one, less tan 10%.

Agreed. I would consider myself a huge Hennigan supporter, because I believe in the process and have been satisfied with most of his moves so far. However, I am a realist and know that our two rookies have just as much of a chance to bust as they do to become a serviceable player on our team. Some people will be really disappointed if Gordon isn't averaging 15 5 5 in his rookie year and Elfrid doesn't look like the second coming of Gary Payton.

I think in a word we don't just need healthy skepticism, we need some perspective. Other than that, I think this is one of the better boards on realgm (we do have some quality posters) and on the Web in general.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#74 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:02 pm

spinedoc wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:

I feel ya man.

Sorry, I am missing your point based on your draft picks stats, which player are your stats are talking about? Neither of our players were picked in the 10-15 range:) Payton was picked in the 5-10 range!!
spinedoc
RealGM

Post#75 » by spinedoc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:40 pm

JB, if you look at the correspondence in the previous posts, we're talking about elf. The same could be said about Gordon too however. Also, Henny was banking on elf being there at 12. Philly took him at 10 though, not because of the player, but more to do with a strategic block. It never made sense for them already having mcw. So, 10-15 is accurate I believe.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#76 » by OrlandO » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Why would you only look at our draft history when hennigan was not the GM with all those picks...
spinedoc
RealGM

Post#77 » by spinedoc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:50 pm

OrlandO wrote:Why would you only look at our draft history when hennigan was not the GM with all those picks...

Says the guy with a hennigan avatar. Are we really not getting the point about bias yet? No, henny was not the gm all that time, nor was anyone else for that matter. It's about the potential of getting a bust in that range, and how satisfied everyone is to just hand over the reigns to elf. And worse, play our 2nd overall pick and sg out of position until he is eventually ready, if at all.
MrShow
Pro Prospect
And1: 419

Post#78 » by MrShow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:02 pm

spinedoc wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Why would you only look at our draft history when hennigan was not the GM with all those picks...

Says the guy with a hennigan avatar. Are we really not getting the point about bias yet? No, henny was not the gm all that time, nor was anyone else for that matter. It's about the potential of getting a bust in that range, and how satisfied everyone is to just hand over the reigns to elf. And worse, play our 2nd overall pick and sg out of position until he is eventually ready, if at all.

Says the guy who dismisses other peoples opinions based on their avatars.
(I have avatars and sigs turned off, so I don't know what yours might be.)
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,523

Post#79 » by SOUL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Don't get the attitude of "don't get excited about the rookies" even if that's what people aren't really saying. They're worried about unrealistic expectations that people might have, but to be honest only a few have that here - most just are happy with the picks and want to see what they'll bring.

I think that's far better from the negativity that has been popping up lately from the Exum lovers brigade.
spinedoc
RealGM

Post#80 » by spinedoc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 pm

MrShow wrote:
spinedoc wrote:

Says the guy who dismisses other peoples opinions based on their avatars.
(I have avatars and sigs turned off, so I don't know what yours might be.)

And thank you for making the point by not getting the point.

Return to Orlando Magic