ImageImageImageImage

Welcome To Orlando #4 6-9 PF Aaron Gordon

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Re: Welcome To Orlando #4 6-9 PF Aaron Gordon 

Post#401 » by Def Swami » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:23 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5YWifmbedY[/youtube]
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#402 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm

thought i would repost here for anyone who missed this comparison.

His body type is more Kenyon's Martin. He is about Kenyon's playing size and height right now. And Kenyon wasnt a great shooter, but a great athlete. here is a breakdown on Kenyon, see how much of this sounds familiar.

Overview: One of the game’s most explosive athletes before his knee surgery. Still very quick on his feet, and maintained his great mobility after his operation. Gets off the floor in the hurry. Possesses good size and strength for a power forward. Attacks the rim relentlessly. Tries to dunk everything, hard. Not a great shooter, but a capable offensive threat. Does a great job rebounding the ball.

Offense: Gets almost half of his touches as a hustle player, but will find some shots in spot situations and with his back to the basket. Possesses decent touch on his jumper, but shoots with unorthodox form. Starts his shot from just above his forehead, flicking it at the rim rather than flowing through his mechanics and putting touch on the ball. Doesn’t get much arc in his shot leading to some misses, but can hit outside shots nonetheless. Not a good catch and shoot option in terms of efficiency. Does most of his damage at the rim. Works hard off the ball, getting into position for a lot of easy baskets by taking what the defense gives him. Flashes to the rim when he sees space leading to some easy dunks. Likes to punish the rim. Will finish the break with authority.

Defense: A very versatile defender that is capable of defending both the post and perimeter effectively. Has great lateral quickness, showing the ability to keep up with many shooting guards. Slides his feet well, and shows great anticipation when he has to contest a pull up jumper or lay up. Gets in a low stance and very adept at denying his man the ball. Uses his leaping ability to effectively contest every shot his man takes. Has the most active hands of any power forward in the NBA. Swipes at the ball constantly, but doesn’t reach. Is able to play suffocating defense due to his quickness and size. Comes up with quite a few steals. Rebounds the ball at a decent rate and shows a willingness to box out. Will block some shots from the weakside, but is often defending too far from the rim to come over to help a beaten teammate.
Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Post#403 » by Smooth_E » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Our boy going off

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5YWifmbedY[/youtube]
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#404 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Def Swami wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5YWifmbedY[/youtube]

hmmmmm
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#405 » by OrlandO » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 pm

ohhh my goddd. how can people not see how special he's going to be. Who cares if it's in a pickup game, this is a 6'9 18 yr old making those plays. Once he gets comfortable in the NBA we are going to see a lot of amazing plays.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#406 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Seriously, if he can get his jumper consistent, he'll be better than Wiggins, no doubt. He makes us so damn versatile. Elf and VO need to improve their jumpers.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#407 » by fklt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:42 pm

if someone says he only has ok handles for a big, i'm gonna slap them. mentally.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,524

Post#408 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:46 pm

OMG those passes
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#409 » by MellowRose » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:58 pm

IMO, we didn't see none of this, since he barely got the ball in SL (his fault too though, since he never did anything once he did get the ball).

I'm still shocked at how bad he was, in general, at the SL.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#410 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:02 pm

MellowRose wrote:IMO, we didn't see none of this, since he barely got the ball in SL (his fault too though, since he never did anything once he did get the ball).

well, look at Payton his first game, and he had 3 yrs college under his belt. I doubt anyone has come to Gordon and told him exactly what his role is. SL was throwing a bunch of people on a court and throwing a ball up in the air.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#411 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm

MellowRose wrote:IMO, we didn't see none of this, since he barely got the ball in SL (his fault too though, since he never did anything once he did get the ball).

He showed glimpses of everything besides a steady jumpshot which he'll need. He was pretty bad at shooting it though which is all they had him do really. He'll look way better involved in a controlled (but uptempo) transition team where he can play off his defense/the teams defense. We actually have a lot of good passers on the team now.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#412 » by j-ragg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 pm

It was a streetball game where all we saw was highlights. Let's take it down a notch lol.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#413 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:14 pm

j-ragg wrote:It was a streetball game where all we saw was highlights. Let's take it down a notch lol.

All we said was he has nice passing.. seeing as there are threads that want Henny fired for the pick.. I think that's pretty tame :lol:

obviously he can't be this showboaty in real games but he seems to find the open man which is GREAT
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#414 » by Hilltop » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Adding a little size will do wonders for this kid. Athletic freak with handles like that at his height is something special.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#415 » by j-ragg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:19 pm

SOUL wrote:
j-ragg wrote:It was a streetball game where all we saw was highlights. Let's take it down a notch lol.

All we said was he has nice passing.. seeing as there are threads that want Henny fired for the pick.. I think that's pretty tame :lol:

obviously he can't be this showboaty in real games but he seems to find the open man which is GREAT

He does seem to have good vision. I guess I just said that because I was on the other thread with the same Youtube video and people were comparing his handles to Victor's. He's as impressive as it gets on Youtube, I just hope it carries over to the actual games :D
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#416 » by OrlandO » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:22 pm

j-ragg wrote:
SOUL wrote:

He does seem to have good vision. I guess I just said that because I was on the other thread with the same Youtube video and people were comparing his handles to Victor's. He's as impressive as it gets on Youtube, I just hope it carries over to the actual games :D

He showed the natural handling ability a few times in the second half of the last summer league game (went behind the back and spun around in separate plays when pressured and went the length of the court leading to assists).
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#417 » by Anti Chalmers » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Wow.. :o
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#418 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:34 pm

OrlandO wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
SOUL wrote:

He showed the natural handling ability a few times in the second half of the last summer league game (went behind the back and spun around in separate plays when pressured and went the length of the court leading to assists).

Those are the plays I have been talking about. I jumped up and my eyes were 0 0 just like how he said he choose 00 for how our eyes we would be when he makes plays.

Its clear he has a natural and fluid ability to handle the ball and make instinctive passes. A guy that size that is fast, can jump like crazy, dribble and make plays like that shocked the heck out of me. He just needs time to get comfortable playing professional ball, experience and further development on his skills. His skill set is there.
aka: prorl
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#419 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Smooth_E wrote:Our boy going off

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5YWifmbedY[/youtube]

I hope they kind of treat him like they did oladipo last season with the pg experiment. in the sense that they loosened up the reigns in order to give him the chance to try skill sets that they found to be be developable. I loved what they did with dipo....whether or not he can ever transition fully to the pg position remains to be seen... but he's a learner of the game, so the experience definitely has helped his abilities as a facilitator and a ball handler.

so....i hope they let gordon go out there and make mistakes... and learn from them so he can gauge what he can and can't do.... and what he can cultivate.

gonna be a fun season.... can't wait.

by mid season.... i wouldn't be surprised that our bench team can close the talent gap with the starters. with the depth of talent... i'm sure we can make a "bench mob"
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#420 » by OrlDave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm

From the SF Pro Am FB claiming he had a triple double.

https://www.facebook.com/sanfranciscoproam

A Big TREAT though. Aaron Gordon in the house and he has a TRIPLE DOUBLE!!!

Return to Orlando Magic