ImageImageImageImage

Official Erie BayHawks Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Re: Erie BayHawks - Magic to Work Out Darren White, Pg 2 

Post#41 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 pm

D-League front office gets shaken up...

http://www.goerie.com/reed-steps-down-a ... -president

Dan Reed, president of the NBA Developmental League since 2007, has announced he's stepping down from that position to become the head of global sports partnerships for Facebook.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#42 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:39 am

Defining the D-League...

http://prestointhepaint.com/2014/07/22/ ... -d-league/

With the decision to enter a one-to-one affiliation with the Erie BayHawks, the Orlando Magic are embracing the NBA D-League and all it has to offer to its organization. Magic GM Rob Hennigan is behind the move with his ties to Oklahoma City and how they treat their minor league team, the Tulsa 66ers.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Re: Official Erie BayHawks Thread 

Post#43 » by drsd » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Mad Guru wrote:This is the kind of long term vision I like yo see the Magic engaged in. In the future I expect D league teams to become more and more like secondary proxies for NBA teams. Suddenly those 2nd round picks that get chosen and never heard from again are joining a roster of experienced guys waiting to be called up and help out the team if an injury occures. Guys like Osby and Marble would play together and develop chemistry throughout what would be their rookie and sophomore seasons, gaining experience and staying fresh working on their games and getting paid. Relocate them in-state and allow fans to see the teams picks in person while hoping they end up on the magic one day.

What I like about this is it sets a path for 2nd round picks to also get guaranteed money. Perhaps it could be something like 2x the league max for the D-league, paid for by the NBA team that drafts said player. Tis adds talent to the D-league and creates a true farm system.
drsd
RealGM

Post#44 » by drsd » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 am

With Peyton Siva, it is clear that GM Hennigan plans to take full advantage of this D-league franchise.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Re: Erie BayHawks - Welcome Peyton Siva! 

Post#45 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Hopefully Rob takes this route with a couple more guys. It would be great to see. I do expect to see Marble down there as well.
drsd
RealGM

Post#46 » by drsd » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:48 am

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:Hopefully Rob takes this route with a couple more guys. It would be great to see. I do expect to see Marble down there as well.

Marble might get some D-league time, but he gets NBA coin to do so!

rb1magicfan
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#47 » by rb1magicfan » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:53 pm

I thought it would be interesting to consider some of the line ups we may see on the BayHawks this year.These line ups will change a lot because some of our young guys will only be down there for short stints.I know they are looking at some of the best hungriest young coaches to help with player development so we will probably send down Marble,Gordon and Deadman for short periods to work on specific skills IE agility, shoting post moves ect.This could be one of those line ups and would make for an interesting team.This group of players also mimic our main rotation players very well and would play well in the up tempo style we want to play.

Siva
Marble
Gordon
Harper
Deadman
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#48 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 4:52 pm

This move also bolsters what should be a new look D-League team. The BayHawks, who were formally the New York Knicks affiliate, will be getting new coaching, new players, new everything hand picked by Magic general manager Rob Hennigan and his brain trust. Having a guy like Siva, who has some NBA experience with the Detroit Pistons and someone who led his team to a National Championship in college, could be huge. Having that added leadership ability would not only help players get more comfortable with each other, but the coaching staff as well.

http://prestointhepaint.com/2014/08/02/ ... t-parties/
drsd
RealGM

Post#49 » by drsd » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:12 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
This move also bolsters what should be a new look D-League team. The BayHawks, who were formally the New York Knicks affiliate, will be getting new coaching, new players, new everything hand picked by Magic general manager Rob Hennigan and his brain trust. Having a guy like Siva, who has some NBA experience with the Detroit Pistons and someone who led his team to a National Championship in college, could be huge. Having that added leadership ability would not only help players get more comfortable with each other, but the coaching staff as well.

Looked up the Head coach and saw it was Gene Cross. I cannot see if he is still the coach. If he is, what it seems is that he is about player develop,ent and has no interest trying to win games. I am not sure that is the correct approach all of the time, but for particular players, it does make sense to get playing time over trying to help a team win games.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#50 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:26 pm

drsd wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

Looked up the Head coach and saw it was Gene Cross. I cannot see if he is still the coach. If he is, what it seems is that he is about player develop,ent and has no interest trying to win games. I am not sure that is the correct approach all of the time, but for particular players, it does make sense to get playing time over trying to help a team win games.

He isn't...we currently don't have one. He was the coach last year.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#51 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:32 pm

I was a big Siva fan and was very pleased the Pistons drafted him. But, he just wasn't NBA caliber player then played poorly to average during Summer League. Thus, the Pistons chose DJ Augustine over keeping Siva. But, I think this is a solid signing because playing time makes players and Siva has talent of which he could flourish in the D-League and hopefully make the NBA again some day.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#52 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:58 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I was a big Siva fan and was very pleased the Pistons drafted him. But, he just wasn't NBA caliber player then played poorly to average during Summer League. Thus, the Pistons chose DJ Augustine over keeping Siva. But, I think this is a solid signing because playing time makes players and Siva has talent of which he could flourish in the D-League and hopefully make the NBA again some day.

Yeah...I don't think there is any expectation for him to all the sudden break out. Rather, the hope is that with a lot of PT in the D, he can learn our systems and develop in to a smart and reliable backup PG a year or two down the road.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#53 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:01 pm

rb1magicfan wrote:I thought it would be interesting to consider some of the line ups we may see on the BayHawks this year.These line ups will change a lot because some of our young guys will only be down there for short stints.I know they are looking at some of the best hungriest young coaches to help with player development so we will probably send down Marble,Gordon and Deadman for short periods to work on specific skills IE agility, shoting post moves ect.This could be one of those line ups and would make for an interesting team.This group of players also mimic our main rotation players very well and would play well in the up tempo style we want to play.

Siva
Marble
Gordon
Harper
Deadman

I'm wondering how likely it is we send the 4th pick in the draft to the D-League.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#54 » by orlando1214 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 8:51 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
rb1magicfan wrote:I thought it would be interesting to consider some of the line ups we may see on the BayHawks this year.These line ups will change a lot because some of our young guys will only be down there for short stints.I know they are looking at some of the best hungriest young coaches to help with player development so we will probably send down Marble,Gordon and Deadman for short periods to work on specific skills IE agility, shoting post moves ect.This could be one of those line ups and would make for an interesting team.This group of players also mimic our main rotation players very well and would play well in the up tempo style we want to play.

Siva
Marble
Gordon
Harper
Deadman

I'm wondering how likely it is we send the 4th pick in the draft to the D-League.

I really don't think there is any chance of Gordon going to the D-League. I get that he is really raw, but it's not like the kid won't be getting playing time with the Magic. It's also not like the Magic are going to win a championship this year, so who cares if he struggles. You put him out there and you see what happens, then you work with him on his mistakes. He's also at the talent level where he needs to be practicing with the big boys to get better. Being down in the D-League won't give him the challenge he needs to grow.

I also think a lot of people are way too down on Gordon, he's going to do just fine this year. He's going to struggle with a lot of things and sure he might not have a Rookie of the Year type season, but I think he's going to do much better than some people might think right now. He doesn't need to be a star or a starter right now, and he'll do just fine as a back up as he grows and improves.

With that being said, I do fully expect Marble and Dedmon to spend time with Erie this year.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#55 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Aug 5, 2014 12:08 pm

orlando1214 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Siva
Marble
Gordon
Harper
Deadman

I really don't think there is any chance of Gordon going to the D-League. I get that he is really raw, but it's not like the kid won't be getting playing time with the Magic. It's also not like the Magic are going to win a championship this year, so who cares if he struggles. You put him out there and you see what happens, then you work with him on his mistakes. He's also at the talent level where he needs to be practicing with the big boys to get better. Being down in the D-League won't give him the challenge he needs to grow.

I also think a lot of people are way too down on Gordon, he's going to do just fine this year. He's going to struggle with a lot of things and sure he might not have a Rookie of the Year type season, but I think he's going to do much better than some people might think right now. He doesn't need to be a star or a starter right now, and he'll do just fine as a back up as he grows and improves.

With that being said, I do fully expect Marble and Dedmon to spend time with Erie this year.

Yeah I agree with you 100%. Sometimes its difficult for me not to bash someone for saying things like "...so we will probably send down Marble,Gordon" (to the D-League).... I'm working on responding with some couth and less anger, sarcasm and frustration. My response to rb1magicfan was a poor example of that....I'm trying.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#56 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Aug 5, 2014 6:31 pm

Gordon still won't get as many minutes as people here think he will get. His first year will mainly be a developmental year with lots of mop up minutes.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#57 » by Last Guardian » Wed Aug 6, 2014 11:47 am

orlando1214 wrote:I really don't think there is any chance of Gordon going to the D-League. I get that he is really raw, but it's not like the kid won't be getting playing time with the Magic.

We'll see. There aren't many minutes to go around at the 2 forward spots. If we crap out early in the season though, then he should see a lot of minutes.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#58 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:24 pm

I can see Gordon going down to the D-League for a week or two if he is rehabbing an injury or sprained ankle to get back into game shape.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#59 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:34 pm

http://prestointhepaint.com/2014/08/07/ ... fit-magic/

Back in May, the Orlando Magic announced they had entered into a hybrid affiliation with the Erie BayHawks. A hybrid affiliation essentially means that the Magic will control the basketball operations of the club — meaning the Magic front office will control the roster as well as the coaching staff — while the BayHawks owner is responsible for the financial aspects of the franchise and every day business. When I first read that the Magic had finally gotten their own D-League affiliate, I was excited, but also, anxious to see the organization could benefit from a one-on-one affiliation. General manager Rob Hennigan has preached that future success would be dependent on the team’s ability to draft and develop young prospects, and in acquiring the BayHawks, he has what could be an essential tool to aid in that process.
drsd
RealGM

Post#60 » by drsd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:36 am

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:http://prestointhepaint.com/2014/08/07/erie-bayhawks-can-benefit-magic/

What is clear is that GM Hennigan fully plans to use the BayHawks to develop players. As such, it can no longer be seen as a demotion if Nicholson and Gordon spend most of their season up North.

Return to Orlando Magic