ImageImageImageImage

Official Erie BayHawks Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Official Erie BayHawks Thread 

Post#1 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:37 pm

While it has been known for a little over a month now that the Magic officially have a D-League Affiliate, I have not seen much talk about them.

For those that didn't know...I would like to introduce you to the Erie BayHawks:

Orlando Magic Welcome the BayHawks to the Family
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lht2gd38Sic[/youtube]
http://www.nba.com/dleague/erie/splash_page_2014_05_13.html

BayHawks Home Page
http://www.nba.com/dleague/erie/index_main.html

The Orlando Magic, Erie BayHawks, and the NBA Development League today announced that the Magic and BayHawks have entered into a three-year single affiliation partnership beginning with the 2014-15 NBA D-League season. Orlando becomes the record 16th NBA team to have a one-to-one affiliation with an NBA D-League team.

The partnership, also referred to as a “hybrid affiliation,” is the eighth of its kind in the NBA D-League and allows an NBA team to control the NBA D-League team’s basketball operations, while the existing local ownership maintains primary responsibility for the team’s off-the-court business operations and community initiatives.

About the Erie BayHawks
Entering their seventh season in the NBA Development League, the BayHawks are coming off their most successful business season in team history. Setting a franchise record in attendance, Erie drew over 3,400 fans per game to the Erie Insurance Arena. The BayHawks contributed over $21,000 to local charities through various donations, fundraisers and other community focused initiatives during the 2013-14 campaign. A total of eleven former BayHawks have been signed by NBA teams in their brief history and the team has competed in the D-League Playoffs in three seasons. For ticket information log on to http://www.eriebayhawks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or call 814-790-5600.

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/BayHawksFans

Vaughn Discussing BayHawks...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fTWN1-59VM[/youtube]

Martins Discussing BayHawks...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnk0fh0Tto[/youtube]

Henny Discussing BayHawks...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucw23daJZzo[/youtube]
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Re: Official Erie BayHawks Thread 

Post#2 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm

How the D-League Works...

Where do NBA D-League players come from?
NBA D-League teams acquire players through a draft, NBA player assignments, NBA training camp allocations, tryouts and a returning player pool. What separates players in the NBA D-League from other minor league systems is that players do not sign contracts with specific NBA D-League teams. Instead, all players sign a one-year NBA D-League Standard Player Contract with the league itself. All players are relieved of their contractual obligations if they sign a contract with an NBA team at any point in the season. Here are descriptions of the various ways NBA D-League teams can fill their rosters:

Draft: Players who signed a D-League contract but are not retained by their previous teams are eligible for the NBA D-League Draft, along with new players who sign with the league. The NBA D-League Draft takes place prior to the start of each season, often in early November.

NBA Assignments: NBA teams can assign players who are rookies or in their second season to their D-League affiliate. Players can stay with the D-League affiliate for as long as the NBA team wishes, and be recalled back to the NBA at any time.

NBA teams can assign players as many times as they choose. For the second season, NBA players in the first three years of their NBA careers may be assigned to their NBA D-League affiliate an unlimited number of times, according to the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, while for the third consecutive year, players beyond the first three years of their NBA careers may be assigned to their NBA D-League affiliate with their consent and the consent of the NBA Players Association. Last season, the NBA D-League saw veterans Amar’e Stoudemire (New York Knicks, Erie BayHawks) and Keyon Dooling (Memphis Grizzlies, Reno Bighorns) take advantage of NBA D-League assignments to rehabilitate injuries or further develop their games.

NBA Training Camp Allocations: Up to three players released from the roster of an NBA team before the D-League Draft can be allocated to that team's D-League affiliate provided they sign the standard D-League contract. They are known as “affiliate players.”

Open Tryouts: All D-League teams conduct local tryouts in late October of each year, from which players can be invited to training camp with a chance of making the team's roster.

Returning Players: Teams can invite a limited number of players who played for that respective club during the previous season.

NBA D-League rosters must consist of 10 NBA D-League players, but may not exceed a total of 12 players, including NBA assignments. If more than two NBA players are assigned at once, a team must reduce its roster to avoid going over 12 players.

Teams are limited to 12 roster moves a season, although additional moves can be gained in certain situations, such as a player being signed by an NBA team or leaving to play in Europe. Training camp roster cuts do not count against the 12 moves.

How do D-Leaguers make the jump to the NBA?
A call-up occurs when a player is signed by an NBA team. An NBA team is allowed to sign any D-League player as long as they are eligible to play in the NBA under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). However, an NBA team cannot call-up a player whose draft rights are still held by another NBA team. A D-League player is usually signed to a 10-day contract, a short term contract which expires after 10 days. A player can only sign two 10-day contracts with the same team in one season. If the team wants to retain the player after the second 10-day contract expired, the team must sign the player for the remainder of the season.
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#3 » by mbn23 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm interested to see the D-League grow and develop to a proper farm system like baseball has. Especially with so many young guys coming into the system. I'd like to see the Hawks move to the Central Florida area.
Just Sayin
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Good thread!
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#5 » by Truth24 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 pm

I actually see us trying to assign a few players from our summer league squad over to our d-league team, and I'm glad we finally have our very own d-league affiliate.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#6 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks for the sticky...I figured this was necessary heading in to summer league and the start of a new season.

People should not underestimate the importance of this affiliation. It is more than just a place to send players that aren't ready for the big leagues...it is truly a developmental league for us now. We have say in who coaches the team. We dictate the roster. We implement the systems and culture. It is an extension of the Orlando Magic. We can send young players down and not have to worry about habits that they may pick up or not working in our systems. They can truly grow as a player on our team without even being on our team.

Henny seems like he is fully committed to this as well. It is only going to mean great things for our future.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#7 » by drsd » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:36 am

Is the BayHawks mascot really named "Hashtag???"
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#8 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 1:10 am

drsd wrote:Is the BayHawks mascot really named "Hashtag???"

Haha, no...I guess I should take that pic down. It was just the only one I could find that had the two mascots together. It was from when Stuff was going on Jimmy Fallon...his "mascot" panda is named Hashtag.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#9 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 1:12 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taM-HukRbDg[/youtube]
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#10 » by Magic#1 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 1:43 am

This is great news. Makes it so much easier to send guys down and still hang on to them.
TSKD000
Senior
And1: 17

Post#11 » by TSKD000 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:04 am

do the BayHawks have a roster??? Could someone in the know post it??? And keep it updated?
shinoff2183
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#12 » by shinoff2183 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:28 pm

I actually live in erie, Ill check the newspaper. There is also a site called goerie.com that might have some roster info.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#13 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:33 pm

shinoff2183 wrote:I actually live in erie, Ill check the newspaper. There is also a site called goerie.com that might have some roster info.

I'm still learning how the D-League works but it sounds like it could be a completely new roster this season. Not really sure what to expect there.
shinoff2183
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#14 » by shinoff2183 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:33 pm

This is what I found from last season. Like what was said Its probably gonna be a complete overhaul. I remember something in the paper about the coach is gone.

2013-2014 Roster
num player pos ht wt from
10 Marcel Anderson G 6-0 175 Harris Stowe State University
Brandon Bowdry F 6-6 220 Eastern Michigan
32 Justin Brownlee F 6-7 230 St. John's, N.Y.
31 Ricky Davis G, F 6-7 205 Iowa
19 Micah Downs F 6-8 200 Gonzaga
12 Lewis Jackson G 5-10 165 Purdue
21 Terrence Jennings F 6-10 230 Louisville
44 Solomon Jones F 6-10 245 South Florida
22 Cleveland Melvin F 6-8 215 DePaul
15 Scott Suggs G 6-6 195 Washington
40 Ty Walker C 6-11 230 Wake Forest
24 Darren White G 6-4 210 Campbell University
Coaches
HEAD COACH Gene Cross
Gene Cross
ASSISTANT COACH(ES) Jeff Javorek
Benjamin McDonald
ATHLETIC TRAINER Kyle Creasy
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#15 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:37 pm

Ricky Davis...still going hard. Hopefully he won't be on the roster lol.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#16 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:37 pm

And yeah the coach is gone...I remember reading that it will be Magic management's call.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#17 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 10:34 pm

Woah! Lewis Jackson. I was wondering what he's been up to.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#18 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:52 pm

Do we have a resident D-League expert on this board? It isn't the easiest league to find information on...very little news.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#19 » by KillMonger » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:02 am

lmao yo.....just had a funny thought.....let's send Ben Gordon here
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#20 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:25 pm

They should keep some young bigs on there. Theres no center listed;)

Sent from my LG-E980 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com

Return to Orlando Magic