ImageImageImageImage

Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

YaYaBazinga
Ballboy
And1: 9

Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason 

Post#1 » by YaYaBazinga » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:09 pm

If these puzzling moves don't work out, I think its time to stop giving Henny the benefit of the doubt and start talking about his job. Think about it. Nelson's contract was worth 8 mil this year, and even though he was cut we still pay 2 mil. Gordon's contract is worth 5 mil this year. So, even though in my opinion Nelson is much better and plays a more needed position, his loyalty for 10 years is worth less than 1 million! C'mon that's ridiculous. Also why sign Willie Green? and someone please explain to me the point of going after Patrick Patterson. Too many questionable moves (Afflalo trade, Passing Exum, Gordon Signing, Trading Future First for two spots, cutting Nelson) this offseason...
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Re: Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason 

Post#2 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:12 pm

I question Henny cutting Meer just so he could sign Ben freaking Gordon.

Now, who would have more value to this franchise, Jameer Nelson or Ben Gordon!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#3 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:14 pm

Word UP! Send those opinions into the Magic, let's get this hack canned! #firehenny #weknowbetterthananactualnbagm #wedtakeotisbackatthispoint #ipostonasportsforumsoiknowwhatsup #rumors #wecouldbeacontenderthisseasonifnotforgordon
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#4 » by I Rasharted » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:17 pm

YaYaBazinga wrote:If these puzzling moves don't work out, I think its time to stop giving Henny the benefit of the doubt and start talking about his job. Think about it. Nelson's contract was worth 8 mil this year, and even though he was cut we still pay 2 mil. Gordon's contract is worth 5 mil this year. So, even though in my opinion Nelson is much better and plays a more needed position, his loyalty for 10 years is worth less than 1 million! C'mon that's ridiculous. Also why sign Willie Green? and someone please explain to me the point of going after Patrick Patterson. Too many questionable moves (Afflalo trade, Passing Exum, Gordon Signing, Trading Future First for two spots, cutting Nelson) this offseason...

Nothing puzzling about it. Puzzling would be signing Greg Monroe to 4/48. That ain't gonna happen.

Nelson was waived as a favor so he can sign with a contender. That's Hennigan showing loyalty.

Gordon is a low-risk, semi-high-reward guy and a possible trade chip. One year deal.

Willie Green = veteran depth.

No real proof we're going after Patterson.

Afflalo wasn't part of the future, so we traded him for a younger guy with upside.

We picked Aaron Gordon because (I would wager) Hennigan thinks he can be a star.

We gave PHI its pick back because we really wanted Payton. Likely our PG of the future.

We run with this team for a year, let everyone develop, get another lotto pick (probably) and get serious the year after that. Pretty simple.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#5 » by j-ragg » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:17 pm

5 star thread ball boy.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,068

Post#6 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:20 pm

I love how everyone is calling Nelson a saint. The only reason Henny would let him go is if he got an unfavorable answer to the question of Jameer backing up Oladipo. A change of guard is needed, Gordon knows he will not start and prolly will not get any valuable minutes. His job will be to come off the bench when needed hit shots and in practice play hard. If he doesnt do that he will be cut if he does he might become a trade asset because of his contract.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#7 » by RYgoBOOM » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:21 pm

I hope Henny reads this and **** in your mailbox!
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by RYgoBOOM » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:28 pm

YaYaBazinga wrote:If these puzzling moves don't work out, I think its time to stop giving Henny the benefit of the doubt and start talking about his job. Think about it. Nelson's contract was worth 8 mil this year, and even though he was cut we still pay 2 mil. Gordon's contract is worth 5 mil this year. So, even though in my opinion Nelson is much better and plays a more needed position, his loyalty for 10 years is worth less than 1 million! C'mon that's ridiculous. Also why sign Willie Green? and someone please explain to me the point of going after Patrick Patterson. Too many questionable moves (Afflalo trade, Passing Exum, Gordon Signing, Trading Future First for two spots, cutting Nelson) this offseason...

oh and

A. You have absolutely NO idea how talks went with Jameer. Maybe he wanted to go to a contender, maybe he didn't want to be a backup to Payton. Did you ask him any of this personally or did you just assume we cut him just so you can rant?

B. Willie Green is better than Moore, Lamb, and Price. Cheap, veteran leadership on a team of kids. A guy who won't cry about PT.

C. The media talks about Patrick Patterson and you're gonna sit here and whine about him like everything the media reports is truth? :banghead:

D. Afflalo didn't want to play backup either....Oladipo is the future, not head fakey affalol. Fournier is a cheaper and more serviceable player than AA all day long. Can AA run the point to help our young transitioning PG's? Don't answer that.

E. Exum isn't some proven superstar player....there is a reason everyone else passed on him too. Remember the last time the media blew someone up? How did Shabazz Muhammed turn out exactly?

/rant

Edit: You're right though....we deff should've kept Otis and then trade Howard for Bynum! Man would we be sick!!!

Nelson
Reddick (would've walked)
Harkless
Davis
Bynum (or what little remains of him)

Way better bro!
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#9 » by Reverse_Angle » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:29 pm

So you become a member to post this?

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,068

Post#10 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:30 pm

I Rasharted wrote:

Nothing puzzling about it. Puzzling would be signing Greg Monroe to 4/48. That ain't gonna happen.

Nelson was waived as a favor so he can sign with a contender. That's Hennigan showing loyalty.

Gordon is a low-risk, semi-high-reward guy and a possible trade chip. One year deal.

Willie Green = veteran depth.

No real proof we're going after Patterson.

Afflalo wasn't part of the future, so we traded him for a younger guy with upside.

We picked Aaron Gordon because (I would wager) Hennigan thinks he can be a star.

We gave PHI its pick back because we really wanted Payton. Likely our PG of the future.

We run with this team for a year, let everyone develop, get another lotto pick (probably) and get serious the year after that. Pretty simple.

i kinda get that line of thinking but i still believe Henny had to have approached him about playing backup minutes and he gave an unfavorable answer. I kinda get that line of thinking if he is gonna play backup might as well do that on a contender. I just think it hilarious all you people are like loving on Jameer and i just dont get it. Why? Because of some prolly BS report that he got into a fight with D12? I know it wasnt his defensive intensity because he never gave a rats ass about that end of the floor. Cant forget about that Avery Bradley incident. Oh and i cant forget about his ability to chuck the ball. I have never seen outside of notorious ball hogs like Francis, and Marbury etc.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:34 pm

RYgoBOOM wrote:oh and

A. You have absolutely NO idea how talks went with Jameer. Maybe he wanted to go to a contender, maybe he didn't want to be a backup to Payton. Did you ask him any of this personally or did you just assume we cut him just so you can rant?

B. Willie Green is better than Moore, Lamb, and Price. Cheap, veteran leadership on a team of kids. A guy who won't cry about PT.

C. The media talks about Patrick Patterson and you're gonna sit here and whine about him like everything the media reports is truth? :banghead:

D. Afflalo didn't want to play backup either....Oladipo is the future, not head fakey affalol. Fournier is a cheaper and more serviceable player than AA all day long. Can AA run the point to help our young transitioning PG's? Don't answer that.

E. Exum isn't some proven superstar player....there is a reason everyone else passed on him too. Remember the last time the media blew someone up? How did Shabazz Muhammed turn out exactly?

/rant

Edit: You're right though....we deff should've kept Otis and then trade Howard for Bynum! Man would we be sick!!!

Nelson
Harkless
Davis

Way better bro!

Who on this team is Ben Gordon better than?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
gratia333
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#12 » by gratia333 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:35 pm

These are only puzzling to someone who does not get where we are as a team. Sorry you don't get it.
Look we need guys who will push our young guys in practice and make them better but not cause issues when they don't get PT and the team is not winning. We are focusing on development!

1. We are going to guys and saying that we can't say we will win, we can't say you will get a lot of play time but come here... We have to give something.

2. Players are wanting 3-4 year contracts. We are not giving that right now. We need to see how our young guys progress this year. We also need to spend another 10-12mil just to meet the floor. So, we gave out what amounts to a 1 year 4.5mil contract to a guy who knows what he is coming into and what his role is. He was willing to take a 1 year deal only because it was a good amount for the year.

3. A two year contract that has a team option for the full amount is a great trade chip if we need to make a move in the next 12 months. We can now trade Gordon to a team and they can waive him for cap relief next year. A number of teams will be clearing cap space for FA's next year.

The only people who don't get this are narrow minded and only thinking about next year not about player development and cap flexibility.

Also, no way our young guys take ownership of the team with Nelson on it. It was always going to be his team while he was here. Sad, but we need to pass the team to Dipo and Harris
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#13 » by MAGICian619 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:40 pm

1) Nelson was released per his request. He wants to sign on with a contender and we returned the loyalty to him by granting his wish.

2) Gordon is on a 1 year deal where he can earn a 2nd year. We needed a scoring punch of the bench and he provides that. Also, something which is not being talked about enough, the fact that maybe Gordon was the only guard that fit what we need AND was willing to take a 2 year (1 guaranteed) contract. Everyone wants 3 and 4 year deals and Hennigan is big on keeping flexibility. I would much rather have Gordon on a 1 or 2 year deal than someone slightly better than him on a 4 year deal. The roster flexibility is key.

3) Willie Green is a veteran who fits in well as a mentor/backup role.

4) Interest in Patterson is a complete rumor and it has already been proven that media has ZERO idea what we are going to do as our management does not leak info.

5) No one saw Exum more than Hennigan. He passed on him in favor of Gordon for a reason.

6) The "future first" from Philly was never coming to us. Look at the protections assigned to that pick. They were going to become two 2nd round picks. I am more than willing to give up a few 2nd round picks to get our PG of the future.

Trust in Hennigan and be happy that we finally have a competent GM that actually has a long term plan in place. I hope I answered all of your questions.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,079

Post#14 » by SOUL » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:41 pm

It would be a very Magic thing to do to fire a GM over scrub cuts and signings with 1 two year deals, but let a GM like Otis stay for longer while giving out horrible contracts for years
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by RYgoBOOM » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:43 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RYgoBOOM wrote:oh and

/rant

Nelson
Harkless
Davis

Way better bro!

Who on this team is Ben Gordon better than?

Well since we already cut Moore, Price and Lamb he isn't better than anyone in the back court. But if he were here I'd of rather him play than Lamb/Moore combo. I know you hate Ben but I think he will be a solid shooter in spot minutes and it seems he was ok with that role.

I think he gets his career back on track with us....IMO.
www.TheAutoSkin.com

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:43 pm

so you dont take into account that Nelson himself wanted to be released, so that he could go to a contending team for a chance at a ring. You think Henny should have forced Nelson to stay here one more year?

Willie Green is a pure locker room signing. Consummate pro, hard practice player and worker Rob is using to help develop the team culture. Patterson? that could be to help get some outside shooting.

Trading AA, that one still boggles me.
Passing on Exum, tell me what he does that Payton doesnt do better? the trade of the protected pick back to Philly was to get the PG that Hennigan really wanted and thought could be a good player. His comp is Rondo, would you not trade a lottery protected pick for a young Rondo?
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#17 » by Melvinlocker » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:43 pm

I feel so much smarter having read this. Thanks for posting.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#18 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:00 pm

We need to be thanking our lucky stars someone as sharp and bright as Hennigan and his team are in control. If he keeps going like he is, I hope he's here for a looooonng time. Like, until he's damn near 70 years old.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
HeartAndHustle
Senior
And1: 58

Post#19 » by HeartAndHustle » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:09 pm

Stop it with the jameer crap. Don't you guys think that Jameer wanted to go play with a contender. The o-sen even said the breakup was mutual so stop with the ''why cut jameer to sign Gordon' bullcrap.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#20 » by Def Swami » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:16 pm

These threads are so similar to the post-Dwight Howard trade. I'm going to kick back and see how it plays out on the court.

Return to Orlando Magic