ImageImageImageImage

Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Re: Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason 

Post#121 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:30 am

craig01 wrote:Like or hate the moves, one really can't judge how they will work out until the season gets underway.

I don't have all of the info, nor do I have any idea what the next move(s) will be.

All I can do is wait it out and say "I told you so" if it's a bust, or "boy was I wrong" if these moves prove to be a stroke of genius.

Like most, I am not thrilled with the path nor the amount of time that the chosen path may take to be successful....but I am willing to wait and see.... and pass judgment later, when judgment is due.

I just want some entertainment from watching the Magic, so it can't get much worse than the past two years.

+1001 (felt the need to one up bajotierra :lol: )

Well put. My feelings exactly.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Neato
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Champ
And1: 6,080

Post#122 » by Neato » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:42 am

other than ben gordon, I feel like it'll be exciting to watch this team. I'm ok with enduring another season of limited wins if we're exciting.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#123 » by shadrock » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:24 am

The Ben Gordon signing is partly a basketball signing, but predominantly a business signing in my opinion.

Firstly, the basketball aspect of it is that he is a 2 guard we can plug in that atleast has to be respected from the 3 point line. If Dipo and/or Payton are really struggling from the field, its good to have someone we can insert to space the floor a bit (Fournier, Gordon) and open up more space inside for our big guys, especially now that we have lost Jameer and Afflalo.

Secondly, and most importantly, the business aspect of this signing is that until this deal was made, we really didnt have any players with a significant contact that we would be willing to move in a potential trade. Lets say we have a deal ready to go, but the only holdup is that salaries dont match, which would bw likely given the average salary of our team. That would suck. Gordons contract could also be used in conjunction with another players contact in a trade, say Tobias Harris contact ($2.5 mil) to trade for a player earning approx $7 million. The only other players on our roster with contacts above $2.5mil per season are Dipo, Aaron Gordon and Vucevic, none of whom we will move. Add to this the fact that it has no impact whatsoever on our furure cap flexibility and lessens the hit on us being under the salary cap floor, and it is really a win win for us. Teams wont have an issue taking on Gordon's deal as it is an expiring deal.

Gotta change your thinking to see it from a business perspective and then it makes more sense.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 838

Post#124 » by I Rasharted » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:38 am

Jaxfann wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:
YaYaBazinga wrote:If these puzzling moves don't work out, I think its time to stop giving Henny the benefit of the doubt and start talking about his job. Think about it. Nelson's contract was worth 8 mil this year, and even though he was cut we still pay 2 mil. Gordon's contract is worth 5 mil this year. So, even though in my opinion Nelson is much better and plays a more needed position, his loyalty for 10 years is worth less than 1 million! C'mon that's ridiculous. Also why sign Willie Green? and someone please explain to me the point of going after Patrick Patterson. Too many questionable moves (Afflalo trade, Passing Exum, Gordon Signing, Trading Future First for two spots, cutting Nelson) this offseason...

Nothing puzzling about it. Puzzling would be signing Greg Monroe to 4/48. That ain't gonna happen.

Nelson was waived as a favor so he can sign with a contender. That's Hennigan showing loyalty.

Gordon is a low-risk, semi-high-reward guy and a possible trade chip. One year deal.
Willie Green = veteran depth.

No real proof we're going after Patterson.

Afflalo wasn't part of the future, so we traded him for a younger guy with upside.

We picked Aaron Gordon because (I would wager) Hennigan thinks he can be a star.

We gave PHI its pick back because we really wanted Payton. Likely our PG of the future.

We run with this team for a year, let everyone develop, get another lotto pick (probably) and get serious the year after that. Pretty simple.

Perfect - quad erat faciendum!

basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#125 » by shadrock » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:24 am

I Rasharted wrote:
Jaxfann wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:Nothing puzzling about it. Puzzling would be signing Greg Monroe to 4/48. That ain't gonna happen.

Nelson was waived as a favor so he can sign with a contender. That's Hennigan showing loyalty.

Gordon is a low-risk, semi-high-reward guy and a possible trade chip. One year deal.

Afflalo wasn't part of the future, so we traded him for a younger guy with upside.

We picked Aaron Gordon because (I would wager) Hennigan thinks he can be a star.

We gave PHI its pick back because we really wanted Payton. Likely our PG of the future.

We run with this team for a year, let everyone develop, get another lotto pick (probably) and get serious the year after that. Pretty simple.

Yaya, what grounds do you have for thinking Henny made the wrong move by passing on Exum? The youtube videos you watched? Chad Fords mock draft? Cmon man, Henny clearly has about a billion times more info than you, and chose the best player given that info.

So fkn sick of people saying we should have taken Exum with no actual reason why... :crazy: :banghead:
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#126 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:26 am

it wasnt just us who thought exum was a star, nearly every mock thought so too. This was a reach, but westbrook was also considered a reach on draft night so we will see.

Oj Mayo went 3rd in that draft and was considered a future star, there's no way to predict these things.
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#127 » by shadrock » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:23 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:it wasnt just us who thought exum was a star, nearly every mock thought so too. This was a reach, but westbrook was also considered a reach on draft night so we will see.

Oj Mayo went 3rd in that draft and was considered a future star, there's no way to predict these things.

AGHHHHH RAGGGGEEEE!!!

Fml I give up
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#128 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:37 am

bajotierra wrote:
craig01 wrote:Like or hate the moves, one really can't judge how they will work out until the season gets underway.

I don't have all of the info, nor do I have any idea what the next move(s) will be.

All I can do is wait it out and say "I told you so" if it's a bust, or "boy was I wrong" if these moves prove to be a stroke of genius.

Like most, I am not thrilled with the path nor the amount of time that the chosen path may take to be successful....but I am willing to wait and see.... and pass judgment later, when judgment is due.

I just want some entertainment from watching the Magic, so it can't get much worse than the past two years.

+1000

I just don't understand how anyone can definitively judge Henny's moves at this point. I must say I don't understand the AA trade as I feel we may not have maximized that asset. I also feel like we've made some questionable signings this year.

All that said, I did not originally like the Dwight trade...Vuc who? Harkless who? Oh and the trade involving Reddick I first thought was a big mistake. I had never even heard of Tobias and did not see the potential. Boy was I wrong. For these reasons I am willing to hold judgement until at least the all-star break.

I will say that I am 100% sure that Henny is waayyy better of a GM than Otis ever was. He is very methodical in his approach. You can't deny that he has a plan and a philosophy.

Maybe Fournier will be a really good player.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#129 » by CourtsideTV » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:15 pm

Fournier is a SG version of Hedo which is a good thing.
Work Hard
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#130 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 4, 2014 3:07 pm

shadrock wrote:The Ben Gordon signing is partly a basketball signing, but predominantly a business signing in my opinion.

Firstly, the basketball aspect of it is that he is a 2 guard we can plug in that atleast has to be respected from the 3 point line. If Dipo and/or Payton are really struggling from the field, its good to have someone we can insert to space the floor a bit (Fournier, Gordon) and open up more space inside for our big guys, especially now that we have lost Jameer and Afflalo.

Secondly, and most importantly, the business aspect of this signing is that until this deal was made, we really didnt have any players with a significant contact that we would be willing to move in a potential trade. Lets say we have a deal ready to go, but the only holdup is that salaries dont match, which would bw likely given the average salary of our team. That would suck. Gordons contract could also be used in conjunction with another players contact in a trade, say Tobias Harris contact ($2.5 mil) to trade for a player earning approx $7 million. The only other players on our roster with contacts above $2.5mil per season are Dipo, Aaron Gordon and Vucevic, none of whom we will move. Add to this the fact that it has no impact whatsoever on our furure cap flexibility and lessens the hit on us being under the salary cap floor, and it is really a win win for us. Teams wont have an issue taking on Gordon's deal as it is an expiring deal.

Gotta change your thinking to see it from a business perspective and then it makes more sense.

could easily just keep a lower salary and not have to send any contracts back. if a team is low enough and can absorb the salary, they dont have to send a contract or player back.

using your example above, we could just trade Tobias or someone for the player making $7mil and not send them a contract back.
AshBlackstone
Senior
And1: 221

Post#131 » by AshBlackstone » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:53 pm

The OP is kind of a whiner.

Henny's moves have been fine, though the Ben Gordon signing is strange. If it's to trade him later, it's brilliant. If if it's for any other reason, it was stupid.

And if we acquire Patterson, that would be brilliant.
Jaxfann
Senior
And1: 41

Post#132 » by Jaxfann » Fri Jul 4, 2014 10:41 pm

I Rasharted wrote:
Jaxfann wrote:
I Rasharted wrote:Nothing puzzling about it. Puzzling would be signing Greg Monroe to 4/48. That ain't gonna happen.

Could not have said it better myself :lol:
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#133 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:32 pm

I would only agree based on what seems like a much higher price tag on everyone. A lot of scrubs getting paid good money so far this summer. Steer clear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RealGM Forums mobile app
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#134 » by Neon1 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 3:03 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:it wasnt just us who thought exum was a star, nearly every mock thought so too. This was a reach, but westbrook was also considered a reach on draft night so we will see.

Every TEAM that actually was granted the chance to bring him in to show what he's got, PASSED ON HIM.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
crazytown
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#135 » by crazytown » Sat Jul 5, 2014 5:47 am

OP's first post is like the bizarro of the dude in the Nets board that said Kidd would get traded. :nonono:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#136 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:13 pm

Free Agent moves and trades:

Subtract: Meer, Afflalo, Maxiel, Moore, Price

Additions: Fournier, Ben Gordon

And, people actually think Henny made good moves here. I like Henny and think he has done more good than bad, but the OP has valid points here about questionable roster decisions because he obviously made the team worse.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#137 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:23 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Free Agent moves and trades:

And, people actually think Henny made good moves here. I like Henny and think he has done more good than bad, but the OP has valid points here about questionable roster decisions because he obviously made the team worse.

until the season starts and we see what Fournier and Gordon do on the court, its too soon to pass judgement on this. IF you just said, JJ for Harris, for what they had produced at the time that would look like a horrible move too.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#138 » by craig01 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:39 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:Fournier is a SG version of Hedo which is a good thing.

Yeah, watching video of Fourneir shows the guy has well rounded skills and appears to be a good shooter. This move looks on the surface to be a nice compliment to the current roster.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#139 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:42 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Free Agent moves and trades:

until the season starts and we see what Fournier and Gordon do on the court, its too soon to pass judgement on this. IF you just said, JJ for Harris, for what they had produced at the time that would look like a horrible move too.

I like Fournier but it is unlikely he will ever be as good as Afflalo in his prime. As for Gordon, Moore is the better all around player. Then, you throw in Meer who is a solid PG, you really have to shake your head thinking what the hell was Henny thinking letting go (5) solid locker room presences, true team leaders and taking back a Cancer and a kid.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#140 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:47 pm

He's transferring leadership to the future of the team. Simple. No more 2 man game between Jameer and Afflalo down the stretch. No more deferring to those 2 period.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414

Return to Orlando Magic