ImageImageImageImage

Uncle Drew and the Frye Effect

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Re: Uncle Drew and the Frye Effect 

Post#81 » by MasterGMer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 pm

The effectiveness of Frye's game is largely because of the pick and roll man or the point guard.

Can Oladipo and Payton do the job?

Maybe another one article or analysis on our backcourt could do the other part of the job
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#82 » by Hilltop » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Congratulations to the RealGM User of The Week doct3r dr3!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1337313

This post is outstanding and it won you this week's award.

You definitely earned this.

Well deserved!
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#83 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:26 am

spinedoc wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
That is why he posted countless links and videos dude. The stats are simply supporting what our eyes are seeing...

...So far, all you have posted in this thread are feelings on why things won't work, but I haven't seen one stat, video breakdown or historical data to support your point. I don't see how you can criticize Dre's data when the best data you came up with was that the Spurs and the 90s Pistons have some players who shoot midrange jumpers so obviously the Magic should have signed some this offseason as well. Nearly everything else I saw was you pontificating about this and that. You certainly hold the right to disagree, but if you want posters to respect your opinion then you might want to bring some legit evidence to the table.

Ah, I see what's going on here now. After perusing a couple other threads, I see there is a little advanced stat clique here and I've stepped on some toes with my reply. You honestly need videos and numbers in order to get my point? I'm just speaking conceptually and anecdotally based on several years experience of watching this sport. Do you need pictures in a novel in order to get the plot? I was trying to be nice in my disagreement actually about what Dre has posted. Yes, I appreciate his work in what he's put forth, but it doesn't convince me in the slightest. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I was merely stating why I wasn't convinced. You don't get to send me on a research assignment. Honestly speaking now, dre is trying to put lipstick on a pig, and you are close behind putting the tutu on. You have to come up with some smokescreen numbers to convince anyone that Channing Frye is a good signing. The dude is soft as hell and has a nickname of Charmin.

Of course a three point shooter will spread the defense, I get that (there are many ways to get an open shot for others btw), but his rebounding and defense is matador like and the epitome of weakness. The guy busted in NY, got traded, then rotted on the bench in Portland. So, the Suns find a niche for him, over achieved, and over paid him on his last contract. Now, we step in and give him yet another undeserving raise on top of his last, at 31 and an enlarged heart I may add. The dude is super frustrating as a player, and you're going to have a hell of a time calming the board down after each game. The highest paid player on this team, and his only contribution will be he can mentor the youngsters, because he has a huge heart both literally and figuratively. There weren't any numbers in there, so I hope you understood what it is I've said. I don't feel its necessary either to put up a litany of youtube videos of the guy getting posterised either. Anyone watching the game long enough should already be well aware of this fact. Sorry for the rant, but I didn't appreciate your condescending remarks.

I have to disagree with the Channing F signing when you look at the big picture. I can certainly understand your point if your looking at him under a microscope. Ryan Anderson gave us some of the same frustration when we were competing for a championship. Great 3 point shot to stretch the defenses, good rebounder but horrible defender. How many times did Van Gundy have to pull him because he was getting beat horribly. At this point in our rebuild however, we are looking at a much bigger picture that includes player growth.

The magic have young athletic guards who can't shoot. In order for them to be successful they need spacing to operate. In order for that to happen the Magic needed a big to create space and they went out and brought in the best available stretch 4/5 outside of Chris Bosh. And they actually signed him to a pretty good contract when you take into context the increasing cap and the impact to the cap that the new TV deal will have. This was about the investment in player growth for the future and under that context his signing was excellent. Sure he will frustrate us at times but he won't be our starting 4 when we are competing for championships.

Great initial post and it's good to see the additional(and respectful) debate.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Post#84 » by doct3r dr3 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:03 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont believe that Drew has developed any reputation as a 3 pt shooter and defense do not respect him. he was been a low 30% 3pt shooter all year. maybe he can get better, maybe he can learn from Frye. still needs to be consistent in other areas of the court to get more playing time.

In the absence of the SportVU data on contested jumpers, the best I can do is point you to the video of Nicholson's 3-point attempts (via NBA.com).

I'd say the Clippers were respecting his shot a bit in game 5 (11/6/13), but the league at large started respecting his shot in earnest around game 13 vs. Phoenix (11/24/13). After that, teams pretty much always tried to at least close out late on his catches. Again, the fact that he spotted up from the corners rather than the wings made it easier for defenders to cheat off of him a bit and help on the post.

Sort of licking up spit here, but that SportVU data has become publicly available now, (see: NBA.com/Stats, NBASavant, etc.) at least for shot attempts. So you can see the distance of nearest defender with each 3-point shot attempt. In 2013-14 the league-wide average distance of a defender from a three-point shooter was 6.11 feet. The rankings of select names, for context:

Avg Defender Distance on 3PAs (ft)
4.56 Kevin Durant
4.98 Jameer Nelson
5.24 Arron Afflalo
5.30 Stephen Curry
5.33 James Harden
5.46 Dirk Nowitzki
5.90 Klay Thompson
5.95 Luke Ridnour
5.97 Kevin Love
6.11 --League Average--
6.19 Ray Allen
6.20 Victor Oladipo
6.25 J.J. Redick
6.57 Ryan Anderson
6.62 Channing Frye
6.70 Evan Fournier
6.76 Tobias Harris
6.93 Andrew Nicholson
7.09 Trevor Ariza
7.24 Chris Bosh
7.30 Mario Chalmers
7.38 Josh McRoberts
7.45 Maurice Harkless
7.74 Roy Hibbert
8.77 Dwight Howard

Of course, this doesn't tell the whole story, as factors like team overall playmaking, shot creation, and shot selection figure into how open your shot attempts tend to be. Play with a great drive-and-kick talent (LeBron, Wall, etc.), you're likely to wind up with more open threes. Handle the ball a lot, and carry the scoring load (Durant, Curry, etc.), less so. These stats also don't show how close defenders are when the named player is off the ball. But the point is, team's did not completely sag off of Nicholson and dare him to shoot like he's Shaq or something.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#85 » by NBlue » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:52 am

I have a slight modification to the definition:

Frye Ef·fect \ˈfrī-i-ˈfekt, e-, ē-, ə-\

The spectacularly negative defensive impact generated by a "big" who is too slow to guard 4s, not strong enough to guard 5s, consistently lacks effort on the defensive end and whose pick and roll defense is downright laughable.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#86 » by MellowRose » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:55 am

Synonym for "Frye Effect", ****.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,200

Post#87 » by thelead » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 am

NBlue wrote:I have a slight modification to the definition:

Frye Ef·fect \ˈfrī-i-ˈfekt, e-, ē-, ə-\

The spectacularly negative defensive impact generated by a "big" who is too slow to guard 4s, not strong enough to guard 5s, consistently lacks effort on the defensive end and whose pick and roll defense is downright laughable.

Nailed it
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#88 » by NBlue » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 am

spinedoc wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
That is why he posted countless links and videos dude. The stats are simply supporting what our eyes are seeing...

...So far, all you have posted in this thread are feelings on why things won't work, but I haven't seen one stat, video breakdown or historical data to support your point. I don't see how you can criticize Dre's data when the best data you came up with was that the Spurs and the 90s Pistons have some players who shoot midrange jumpers so obviously the Magic should have signed some this offseason as well. Nearly everything else I saw was you pontificating about this and that. You certainly hold the right to disagree, but if you want posters to respect your opinion then you might want to bring some legit evidence to the table.

Ah, I see what's going on here now. After perusing a couple other threads, I see there is a little advanced stat clique here and I've stepped on some toes with my reply. You honestly need videos and numbers in order to get my point? I'm just speaking conceptually and anecdotally based on several years experience of watching this sport. Do you need pictures in a novel in order to get the plot? I was trying to be nice in my disagreement actually about what Dre has posted. Yes, I appreciate his work in what he's put forth, but it doesn't convince me in the slightest. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I was merely stating why I wasn't convinced. You don't get to send me on a research assignment. Honestly speaking now, dre is trying to put lipstick on a pig, and you are close behind putting the tutu on. You have to come up with some smokescreen numbers to convince anyone that Channing Frye is a good signing. The dude is soft as hell and has a nickname of Charmin.

Of course a three point shooter will spread the defense, I get that (there are many ways to get an open shot for others btw), but his rebounding and defense is matador like and the epitome of weakness. The guy busted in NY, got traded, then rotted on the bench in Portland. So, the Suns find a niche for him, over achieved, and over paid him on his last contract. Now, we step in and give him yet another undeserving raise on top of his last, at 31 and an enlarged heart I may add. The dude is super frustrating as a player, and you're going to have a hell of a time calming the board down after each game. The highest paid player on this team, and his only contribution will be he can mentor the youngsters, because he has a huge heart both literally and figuratively. There weren't any numbers in there, so I hope you understood what it is I've said. I don't feel its necessary either to put up a litany of youtube videos of the guy getting posterised either. Anyone watching the game long enough should already be well aware of this fact. Sorry for the rant, but I didn't appreciate your condescending remarks.

You, sir, absolutely positively nailed it. Very sadly, well done.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#89 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:47 am

Let's bring Meer back while shipping out Frye.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mnm8hax

Return to Orlando Magic