ImageImageImageImage

Lack Of Any Real Stars A Worry?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#1 » by magic22s » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 am

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/07/22/orlando-magic-lack-real-stars-worry/

Henny tells us he is going to grow the Magic organically. Be patient for our stars in the making!
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Lack Of Any Real Stars A Worry? 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

Nope, we have 5 players in the making. Vuc, Harris, Dipo, Payton and A Gordon.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#3 » by Bensational » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am

Stupid article. Lance Stephenson is the kind of 'star' we should target, but would anyone have said that about him last year?

Was Dragic a star last year? Bledsoe? Parsons? Was Westbrook a star after his rookie year?

We need to give our players the chance to show whether or not they are stars before we decide we need to replace them with guys who have already been given that chance.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#4 » by Jiwol » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14 am

^^ This. Sometimes people just don't think logically...
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#5 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 am

No. I'm really happy with the team we have put together. We have some potential stars and really good players with great attitudes that work hard and play both sides of the ball. I think it'll be a lot of fun watching us next season. I couldn't disagree more with that article. So Lance Stephenson is a star now? We should have went and got him so he could take minutes away from Oladipo? That's smart is it?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#6 » by shadrock » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 am

Why do we not already have a star on our team? We could have several imo.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
RapHippy
Rookie
And1: 267

Post#7 » by RapHippy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 am

Some could argue that Vucevic had a "star" impact last season. Multiple 20/20 games, and showing up against the best of the best against the Heat. Next up is Harris & Oladipo, who could very well be considered "stars" at the end of the 2015 season. We also just got 2 exciting, but raw rookies, with a good combination of athleticism and healthy mentality.

I like where our team is now, I do feel like we could be in the running for a huge FA splash sometime. Nonetheless I really want to see how our players end up if they are given reign to develop and try to win.
bajotierra
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#8 » by bajotierra » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:47 am

If the writer of this article was our GM he probably would have traded Dwight for Bynum or Brook Lopez to get a "star" in return. I don't think there is any doubt by now that this approach would have been catastrophic. Two years ago this was a hot topic. Many fans including myself were questioning the trade that went down. Henny already proved he won that trade. This is a fact.

Henny's vision of sustainable and organic growth was not even brought up in the article. There's a reason why we didn't go after any "stars" this summer. Truth be told we can't compete in the superstar market right now. We could have competed in the borderline star market, competing for the Stevenson's and Lowry's of the league but only by overpaying for these assets and giving them the max. Why would a star free agent go to a loosing situation unless he's offered a deal he can't refuse?

We need to prove to stars around the league that we are a winner. Only then we'll be able to truly compete for a star. A compelling future combined with good weather and no State taxes is what we used to lure Grant Hill, Mcgrady and almost Duncan. I don't see why we can't do it again once we prove to be a good team.

All that said, we may not sign an established star or even want to. Knowing we can compete in the marketplace however is a must in my book. We can use it as leverage for resigning our own guys.

Finally and more importantly, is the fact we're betting at least one of Vuc, Harris, Dipo, Payton or A Gordon becomes a star. In my opinion, Henny's mid term future depends on whether this happens or not. Would you all agree?

My prediction is one of Dipo, Vuc and/or Harris becomes all-star caliber this year. I'll call the season a success if that happens combined with one of our rooks showing star potential.
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#9 » by Go Magic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am

I could only read up to,
Stephenson is but an example, and there are many more around the league–Carlos Boozer, Pau Gasol, Kyle Lowry, impact signings that are an upgrade over what is currently on the roster.

This article was laughable at best. If this was the mentality of the front office, the moves that have gotten us where we are would have never taken place. Thanks for posting though. It's nice to hear the bad ideas after your competent GM has set you up for success.
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
Inqui
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#10 » by Inqui » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 am

Go Magic wrote:I could only read up to,
Stephenson is but an example, and there are many more around the league–Carlos Boozer, Pau Gasol, Kyle Lowry, impact signings that are an upgrade over what is currently on the roster.

This article was laughable at best. If this was the mentality of the front office, the moves that have gotten us where we are would have never taken place. Thanks for posting though. It's nice to hear the bad ideas after your competent GM has set you up for success.

Yeah, I was surprised the byline didn't have Otis Smith's name.

Bottom line is that it's too early to say we don't have any stars. I'm pretty sure OKC fans could have made similar threads a few years ago. GMs get paid to take the future into account, which is why a lot of fans would be terrible at the job.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#11 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Inqui wrote:
Go Magic wrote:I could only read up to,

Yeah, I was surprised the byline didn't have Otis Smith's name.

Bottom line is that it's too early to say we don't have any stars. I'm pretty sure OKC fans could have made similar threads a few years ago. GMs get paid to take the future into account, which is why a lot of fans would be terrible at the job.

No OKC fan has ever felt that way.
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#12 » by orthoman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm

We're getting better each year....and we'll be good this year. Sometimes stars can be a cancer in the locker room.
:wink:
reddog4720
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#13 » by reddog4720 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Star players are great to have....but they are few and far between. We just need to stay the course. Just look at Washington, they went from winning 29 games to winning 44. And that was with only adding minor vet pieces. Otto Porter did nothing for them last year. I wouldn't even call John Wall a star....he's close, but not there yet. The rest of their team is just quality role players nothing really better than what we have. The two things they did have on us was an additional year of rebuilding allowing the team to gel and a solid coach.There is no reason we can't make the same type of progress they made.

I personally feel our success is tied more so to Jacque Vaughn than any player on our roster. This is his do or die year. He's done little yet to for me to really be happy about, so I hope he figures it out fast.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#14 » by ralphie9898 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 pm

magic22s wrote:Good read. This is exactly how I feel about Magic, and you?

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/07/22/orlando-magic-lack-real-stars-worry/

No its not a worry just that that is what boat we are in right now. We are a rebuilding team and there wasn't any real chance for an established star right now. As for our future who knows as Gordon, Payton, and Oladipo still have plenty of time to grow. Vuc and Harris have time as well but not sure they get into superstar status. But not everyone can get this quick fix like the Cavs got with adding Lebron. As for missing on Exum well while I would have preferred Exum it isn't that big of leap from Exum to Gordon. Gordon is nearly if not just as good and he has prospects to be a really good player and the same goes for Payton as draft picks can come from anywhere.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#15 » by Def Swami » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 pm

I get the impression that a scorned, 12 year-old Magic fan wrote this.

It's not often that rebuilding teams actually know they have star talent until their young players hit their stride in their 3rd or 4th years. There is a lack of understanding for the strategy of Orlando's rebuild and it kills the author's credibility. That article is going to look even dumber by the end of the season.

Edit:
Luke Duffy
23 year old basketball writer from Dublin, Ireland who first fell in love with the game when the plucky Sacramento Kings took on the mighty Lakers... and lost! Orlando Magic fan. Favourite players are Rajon Rondo, Jeff Teague and I'm probably the biggest Kawhi Leonard fan out there!

http://hoopshabit.com/author/luke-duffy/
So yeah...
BleedTeal
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#16 » by BleedTeal » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Personally, I'm digging the old school build from the ground up feel the Magic have right now. You're not Yankeeing for stars (using money for wins now), you had a smart draft (though I would have maybe done Smart or Randle over Gordon, but we shall see) and Oladipo is going to be beast soon. I'm very interested to watch them next year, who knows maybe I'll even jump over.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#17 » by fklt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm

success creates stars. not vice versa.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#18 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:22 pm

I wonder if the OP expected no one to agree with him.

I don't know how anyone can really feel that way...that is such a terribly written article.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#19 » by Melvinlocker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 pm

The answer is simple: Stars are almost always necessary to win championships. There weren't any stars in this free agency outside of LeBron, Melo and (Kevin Love by means of trading) that even fit the criteria and I doubt they would have had a stayed long term if we did manage to luck out and get them.

We may or may not have championship caliber players on our team. Let us give it at least a year and reevaluate the topic of discussion.

Btw, that article was kind of fluff piece IMO. Did he really mean to suggest Lance Stephenson and Kyle Lowry were superstars?
Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 197

Post#20 » by Orl_Magic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 pm

We have two stars Channing Frye and Ben Gordon.

Return to Orlando Magic