ImageImageImageImage

OT: Good jokes for a Best Man speech?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

OT: Good jokes for a Best Man speech? 

Post#1 » by Bensational » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Thought I'd throw this out there since there are some pretty damn funny people on this board. Anyone know any good jokes for a Best Man speech, that are suitable for all audiences?

I've got the speech written up, with a few funny stories about the groom and what not. But we've been explicitly told not to say anything about his past/exes, or anything that will offend the likes of his grandparents.

I've read a few online, most are rubbish. Anyone heard any good, short, inoffensive jokes for openers/closers/segues?
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Re: OT: Good jokes for a Best Man speech? 

Post#2 » by Orium » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 pm

At some point during the speech you could start to stumble while reading your cards (assuming you have them) and then turn to the groom and say "Brian (or whoever), I can't read your handwritting!".

I've seen it go over pretty well but it was all about the execution
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
in-limbo
Sixth Man
And1: 362

Post#3 » by in-limbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 am

If (insert brides name) was a road hazard, the sign would read OPEN TRENCH.
Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Post#4 » by Smooth_E » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:20 am

Whatever you do, just DON'T do this as the best man:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIbegxOwwpI[/youtube]
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#5 » by FFBlitzace » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 am

As an opener:

Pull a piece of paper out of one pocket and start reading, "To the families of all involved, I deeply regret my involvement in the kidnapping and murder of - wait, whoops..." And then put that back in the pocket and pull the real speech out of the other pocket.

I have no idea whether that's original or not. I just sat here for the past several minutes determined to come up with something.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#6 » by MellowRose » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 am

Start pissing in your pants and see if anyone notices.

Sent from my HTC One X using RealGM Forums mobile app
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#7 » by Melvinlocker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:14 am

If you could do the first half of your speech in another language, that would be pretty Bensational.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#8 » by claudio-br » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:18 am

say that you are so bad at writing speeches that you had to ask your fellow realGMers for help. people will prolly laugh
Showbiz Bear
Rookie
And1: 477

Post#9 » by Showbiz Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 am

I was slighted by my best friend of 20 years when he chose another guy to be his best man instead of me. But after the best man's "speech" (he literally just said, and I'm not making this up: "You guys are great, I love you, and... uh... have a great life") I ganked the mic (respectfully) and just said something short, sweet, funny, and heartwarming... and got an applause. The REAL best man gave me a playful jab and said "thanks for making me look bad". We laughed.

Sorry, I know that didn't help you at all, but I just wanted to share my story. I find the K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) method is best. Brevity is the soul of wit. Less is more. Yaddy yaddy yada. Carry on.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Bensational » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 am

FFBlitzace wrote:As an opener:

Pull a piece of paper out of one pocket and start reading, "To the families of all involved, I deeply regret my involvement in the kidnapping and murder of - wait, whoops..." And then put that back in the pocket and pull the real speech out of the other pocket.

I have no idea whether that's original or not. I just sat here for the past several minutes determined to come up with something.

yeah, I'd think about going that route but a friend of mine recently started his own best man speech as an AA intro, which I think stole the thunder on that approach.

i was thinking the ol' "The bride and groom have asked me to prepare a few lines... (sniff-sniff)... and now that i've snorted them i'm ready to do this speech".

only problem is i can't help but feel all those jokes are inherently lame and cornball.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Bensational » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:31 am

Showbiz Bear wrote:I was slighted by my best friend of 20 years when he chose another guy to be his best man instead of me. But after the best man's "speech" (he literally just said, and I'm not making this up: "You guys are great, I love you, and... uh... have a great life") I ganked the mic (respectfully) and just said something short, sweet, funny, and heartwarming... and got an applause. The REAL best man gave me a playful jab and said "thanks for making me look bad". We laughed.

Sorry, I know that didn't help you at all, but I just wanted to share my story. I find the K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) method is best. Brevity is the soul of wit. Less is more. Yaddy yaddy yada. Carry on.

yeah, that's what i'm going for. and trying to avoid any 'in-jokes' that nobody else is going to understand. "this reminds me of that time in Ios! uh? UH!?" (crickets).

nice to see you fighting to claim that best man spot.
gazken
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#12 » by gazken » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 am

I've done two best man speeches in my time and I opened one of those speeches by standing up with an A4 piece of paper in my hand (speech was written on this as i couldnt revise it lol)

And say to everyone " hello everyone this is not the first time today ive risen from a warm seat with a sheet of paper in my hand"

Got a great laugh and really broke the ice for me straight away

Good luck
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,789

Post#13 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:42 am

A pretty corny one is... " I've been paid a 1000 bucks by the groom to mke him look good, forgot the paper so I'll just wing it"
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#14 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 pm

part way through the speech, say: "let me tell you about (name)'s past". Look at him with your hand sticking out as the universal sign of pay me. Work it out with him before hand to give you a $20 (or whatever), say that's not enough, then have him give you another $100 and continue on with your speech.

That should get some laughs.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#15 » by claudio-br » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:15 pm

google quotes from guys like mark twain, oscar wilde, ...
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#16 » by Audi » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:54 am

Opener for my best man speech for my buddy (who is proudly overweight): "Finally - an event of importance in (name)'s life that eclipses the McRib returning.." Got a huge laugh on that one.

Not a joke, but also was not the best man (but was a groomsman) in another friend's wedding. Being a nature photographer and knowing my way around a camera, I instead candidly snapped an amazing photo that ended up better than any the professional photographer took that night, posted it to Facebook minutes after the vows and said: "may your marriage be like a pair of scissors - forever firmly joined at the middle, and though often moving in opposite directions, always able to join again as one, destroying whatever may come between you." Got hundreds of likes/shares and multiple people saying I should have given the speech.

A few years ago I was also approached via youtube by a guy asking me for a copy of the original Magic theme song (in sig). Sent him a copy and he apparently used it as his friend's wedding intro song - would've loved to see that!
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Kilgore Trout
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#17 » by Kilgore Trout » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 am

It's an old one but you could do the spare key gag;

At some point during the speech you could say " Now that ______ is a married man, at this point I'd like to make an appeal for any old girlfriends out there to return their spare key to his place that they might still have"

You would have already passed out some keys to people (10 or 20), cue lots of old Aunt's from the brides Family, his college room-mate, the priest, etc. coming up to the top table and returning the key to the groom. Needless to say, not a good idea to give keys to the brides sister or any actual ex-girlfriends that may be there!!

It's old and a bit cheesy but I've seen it get a lot of laughs
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#18 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Start off with: "There was a time when I thought this guy would never get married. Just like this one time after being up all night with hookers n blow, one of the ho's had ganked his wallet. So, (Groom) is arguing with this broad when the pimp burst in the door. They start yelling at each other and the Pimp pulls a gun out. (Groom) smoothly turns to the pimp and just says,"You know I am a long time customer who always takes care of the ladies. Why would I cause problems? They all should know I tip well." Pimp turns gun from (Groom) to the Ho in question and says,"Give my boy back his money now, biatch!" She gives (Groom) his money back. Pimp says,"sorry about that bro, this night is on me." Nonetheless, we both called in sick to work and continued to party for another 24 hours. (Groom) is a champ who could outlast the best. Am I right ladies? Or amirite!?!?!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#19 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:It's an old one but you could do the spare key gag;

At some point during the speech you could say " Now that ______ is a married man, at this point I'd like to make an appeal for any old girlfriends out there to return their spare key to his place that they might still have"

You would have already passed out some keys to people (10 or 20), cue lots of old Aunt's from the brides Family, his college room-mate, the priest, etc. coming up to the top table and returning the key to the groom. Needless to say, not a good idea to give keys to the brides sister or any actual ex-girlfriends that may be there!!

It's old and a bit cheesy but I've seen it get a lot of laughs

This one is pretty funny.
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#20 » by jgosche » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:22 am

Pretty simple and corny one:

"Now I'd like to ask (groom) to put his hand on top of (bride)s."

(He puts his hand on hers)

"I'd like everybody to remember this moment, because it's the last time (groom) will have the upper hand in the relationship."

Return to Orlando Magic