ImageImageImageImage

Why is John Wall better than Payton?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: Why is John Wall better than Payton? 

Post#21 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:28 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
CourtsideTV wrote:one can shoot..the other cant..

Which one? I remember Wall's biggest weakness was shooting I haven't kept up with him, did he get better?

Yes he did but thats not the only reason why hes better than payton
Scottg247
Pro Prospect
And1: 147

Post#22 » by Scottg247 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Is this seriously a real topic? Even partaking into this post should make us all smack ourselves in the face and move onto bigger and better things. Like Gordons sick crossover on that kid. Not that's a real topic of discussion.....
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#23 » by CourtsideTV » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

Which one? I remember Wall's biggest weakness was shooting I haven't kept up with him, did he get better?

hard to tell because fg% can include layups etc. wall was just a beast
Work Hard
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#24 » by Driguez » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Payton hasn't played an NBA season... Come on son. All we can talk about when it comes to Payton is potential, and he has lots of it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
"We all we got"- SVG
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#25 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:58 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Please tell me that you realize that John Wall is an All-Star and Payton has yet to log in a single minute?

What I meant was when they were drafted.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#26 » by G-Heel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Why are either of these guys better than DJ Stephens?

He's 6'5 without shoes, with 7' wingspan, 40" no step vertical, 46 **** inches max vertical, and 2.98 sprint time. Clearly DJ Stephens is better than either of these guy.
Fire Otis!
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#27 » by SaintofKillers » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 am

I love Payton and probably will be my favorite PG come opening day but as a prospect, it's not hard to see why Wall was more heralded.

Payton is certainly the better defender but Wall was a pretty good defender himself just not as dedicated. Offensively is where Wall has the edge. While not a good shooter, he's more than adequate compared to Payton. And he has the off the charts athleticism and explosiveness that separate the Westbrook's from the Carter-William's.

As such, Wall projects as a superstar that can potentially dominate a game whilst Payton to me (as it stands) will have a Mookie Blaylock-type of career - a really awesome all around point that's not quite a star. Of course, I'm hoping he proves me wrong! Love the guy!
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#28 » by claudio-br » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:02 am

G-Heel wrote:Why are either of these guys better than DJ Stephens?

He's 6'5 without shoes, with 7' wingspan, 40" no step vertical, 46 **** inches max vertical, and 2.98 sprint time. Clearly DJ Stephens is better than either of these guy.

don't forget the green font though, or some people may not get it and will rant at you
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#29 » by Hilltop » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:34 am

Never been a big fan of John Wall but this is pushing it. Let's wait until Payton plays and then MAYBE we can speculate.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,066

Post#30 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:05 am

I'm extremely high on Payton, but, can we at least wait for him to get just one second on the court before saying stuff like this?
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#31 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:05 am

The Real Dalic wrote:I'm extremely high on Payton, but, can we at least wait for him to get just one second on the court before saying stuff like this?

I meant to compare him when getting drafted but I do think Payton will be better. Wall loses focus during games, injury concerns, settles for jumpers, and doesn't use his size to post up smaller guards.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#32 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am

basketballRob wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:I'm extremely high on Payton, but, can we at least wait for him to get just one second on the court before saying stuff like this?

I meant to compare him when getting drafted but I do think Payton will be better. Wall loses focus during games, injury concerns, settles for jumpers, and doesn't use his size to post up smaller guards.

That's fair. But, you would've avoided a lot of the confusion if you clarified that in the OP.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#33 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 am

purpleswordfish wrote:I haven't been here long, but posts like this make me want to leave this board and never come back. This isn't legitimate basketball discussion. John Wall was a dynamic player in college that was physically dominant against top-level competition. Payton played in the Sun Belt conference and was well above average, but far from dominant. Please, make the homer posts stop.

If anything were to drive me away from this board, it would be the negativity. We need a lot more optimism around here. You can tell people are frustrated. Which is why the season needs to start, so we can see how much our team grew. That should help bring the spirit up around here a bit.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#34 » by Last Guardian » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am

Wall out of college was just dynamic and explosive. I'd say Payton is more a technical player based on what I have seen so far. You can see where GMs would think Wall could take over a game, where Payton is more a player that makes things go smoothly.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#35 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:47 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

hard to tell because fg% can include layups etc. wall was just a beast

no, Wall was a horrible shooter coming out of college. He still isnt great, but has improved, which bodes well for Payton.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,777

Post#36 » by Audi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Is it just me or does it seem that 80%+ of the discussions on this forum are occurring 3-5 years too soon?
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#37 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:I haven't been here long, but posts like this make me want to leave this board and never come back. This isn't legitimate basketball discussion. John Wall was a dynamic player in college that was physically dominant against top-level competition. Payton played in the Sun Belt conference and was well above average, but far from dominant. Please, make the homer posts stop.

If anything were to drive me away from this board, it would be the negativity. We need a lot more optimism around here. You can tell people are frustrated. Which is why the season needs to start, so we can see how much our team grew. That should help bring the spirit up around here a bit.

Or sink it when reality sets in ;)
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#38 » by majortom71 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 am

I'm all about supporting players on your team but the homerism at this level is just silly.
I mean at least wait for an entire season to go through before you crown anyone or make comparisons to all-star players.

And at draft time John Wall was much better prospect as everyone has mentioned already.

OP do yourself a favor and stop with these type of threads because people will stop taking you seriously.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#39 » by NickAnderson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 am

I really think Payton is going to be good but not as good as wall

Sent from my HTCONE using RealGM Forums mobile app
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#40 » by Joel Embust » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:39 am

OP has said numerous questionable things in his short time here.

Wall was considered a franchise changing prospect, Payton isn't considered being a franchise player.

Return to Orlando Magic