ImageImageImageImage

Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic will be FA next season...

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Re: Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic will be FA next season. 

Post#21 » by j-ragg » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm

I really hope we don't give Vuc the max.

Hopefully we get Tobias back for somewhere around 4/40. I think he'll have a breakout year though, so that doesn't bode well for us.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#22 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Mad Guru wrote:I thought I read something about them being able to sign extensions in September

The only date we really need to worry about is the deadline to extend...which is October 31st.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#23 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

j-ragg wrote:I really hope we don't give Vuc the max.

Hopefully we get Tobias back for somewhere around 4/40. I think he'll have a breakout year though, so that doesn't bode well for us.

I can understand wanting this but you are just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Dear Orlando Magic RealGM posters,

Please prepare yourselves for much larger contracts. Regardless of whether it is Vuc, Harris, or even Harkless...these guys are going to be signing contracts (with us or somewhere else) that are much larger than we are used to seeing. This is because of the new CBA looming.

In 2016, players will begin receiving contracts that ARE NOT the max but still start at 20 mill per. Getting Vuc and Harris to start between 12-14 million will be a steal in two summers.
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#24 » by mojosodope » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm a bit torn on Vuc. While I somewhat agree with everyone's belief that you need to keep valuable big men around, I also feel strongly about overpaying them. Big men like Hibbert, Bogut Chandler and even Stoudamire are all to me examples of overpaid centers.

The way the game is played today is completley differnt than it was 10-15 years ago and the Center position is not nearly as valuable as many tend to believe. Yes, a dominant rim protecting center does change the game, but those centers are less and less common.

In addition, I think it is even MORE dangerous to pay a center that is not playoff tested than any other position. When the playoffs start and every rebound matters, the level of physicality increases and mental toughness is required, you see a lot of centers games become heavily diminished.

Just as we watched the meltdown of the Pacers this season, I think a large portion of that is attributed to Hibbert, his inability to have an impact on the game and the pressure of validating his over-payment.

This will not be a popular statement on this board, but Harris is the player that I believe is more valuable to this team's future. A quality individual (on and off the court) who has a deeper impact than many even realize
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#25 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:33 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:I'll save myself some time...from my big post....

Another cornerstone of the Hennigan rebuild is the belief that we need to hold on to our guys and allow them to develop in a Magic uniform. We can talk about Chauncey Billups or Ben Wallace at length but we all know that they were late bloomers than never had a chance to develop in a Magic uniform. Hennigan does not want to allow those things to happen. However, we are approaching the stage where we have to begin extending these rookie contracts. This is why I say we are entering "phase 2" of Hennigan's long term plan. Keeping our guys around. The key is figuring out who to keep and what they are worth.

Big men are tough to come by and when you do find a good one, they are not cheap. With the contracts that have been handed out in recent years, we can be certain the Vuc is going to earn a big pay day. However, it is hard to judge what kind of contract to expect with the new CBA looming in 2016. A lot of players seem to be seeking short term deals that allow them to capitalize on the money down the road. That being said, I think it is a MUCH riskier route for a big man then a wing player like LeBron or Stpehenson. For a big man, I would think that a long term deal would be the best way to go. That is something that could work well for both sides. It would be wise for us to long Vuc up to a long term deal prior to the new CBA.

One detail of contract extensions that many might not be aware of is that each team has the ability to give one player on their roster a five year extension, instead of the typical 4 year extension. The question is whether or not it would be a good idea to use it in Vucevic? Personally, I think he is the best person to use it on from a cap maintenance perspective. We certainly cannot let Vuc get to the open market as a restricted free agent. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have to match a max offer for him.

Tobias Harris is also approaching extension time. With the amount of people we have at SF/PF...it will be interesting to see if we keep him around. Here is an article that was written before last year's early extension talk...

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/1/456012 ... aul-george

Of the seven players from the class of 2009 who received early extensions, only No. 1 pick Blake Griffin signed during the summer. The rest went right up to the Oct. 31 deadline.

Then you can take a look at the extensions that were reached in the summer of '13...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820 ... -offseason

Two to take note of are DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. This is what we should be expecting for Vuc, somewhere in the middle. As scary as that sounds to people...we have to face facts. Big men get paid. Like I said before, if we let him get to the open market...he WILL get a max offer sheet.

With a new CBA looming in 2016, these past examples may not be as relevant. A player like Harris is more likely to want a shorter term deal, especially considering his room for growth. You could certainly argue that Harris has much more room to grow than Vucevic does. In two years, Harris will likely be hitting his peak (in terms of his value on the open market) and that happens to coincide with the new CBA. I think extension talks with Harris will be very tough with Hennigan pushing for four years and Harris wanting a short term deal.

The end scenario I see is Vuc getting a max, 5 year extension with Harris becoming a restricted free agent and Hennigan matching a near max, 3 year deal with a PO in the 3rd.

Why exactly?
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,102

Post#26 » by Magic#1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

I can understand wanting this but you are just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Please prepare yourselves for much larger contracts. Regardless of whether it is Vuc, Harris, or even Harkless...these guys are going to be signing contracts (with us or somewhere else) that are much larger than we are used to seeing. This is because of the new CBA looming.

In 2016, players will begin receiving contracts that ARE NOT the max but still start at 20 mill per. Getting Vuc and Harris to start between 12-14 million will be a steal in two summers.

Thank you. That is all.
It is beyond me the comparisons that get thrown around for players on our roster, especially those who have never played, and arguably our most developed player isn't worth keeping around.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#27 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Zmill wrote:

Another cornerstone of the Hennigan rebuild is the belief that we need to hold on to our guys and allow them to develop in a Magic uniform. We can talk about Chauncey Billups or Ben Wallace at length but we all know that they were late bloomers than never had a chance to develop in a Magic uniform. Hennigan does not want to allow those things to happen. However, we are approaching the stage where we have to begin extending these rookie contracts. This is why I say we are entering "phase 2" of Hennigan's long term plan. Keeping our guys around. The key is figuring out who to keep and what they are worth.

Big men are tough to come by and when you do find a good one, they are not cheap. With the contracts that have been handed out in recent years, we can be certain the Vuc is going to earn a big pay day. However, it is hard to judge what kind of contract to expect with the new CBA looming in 2016. A lot of players seem to be seeking short term deals that allow them to capitalize on the money down the road. That being said, I think it is a MUCH riskier route for a big man then a wing player like LeBron or Stpehenson. For a big man, I would think that a long term deal would be the best way to go. That is something that could work well for both sides. It would be wise for us to long Vuc up to a long term deal prior to the new CBA.

One detail of contract extensions that many might not be aware of is that each team has the ability to give one player on their roster a five year extension, instead of the typical 4 year extension. The question is whether or not it would be a good idea to use it in Vucevic? Personally, I think he is the best person to use it on from a cap maintenance perspective. We certainly cannot let Vuc get to the open market as a restricted free agent. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have to match a max offer for him.

Tobias Harris is also approaching extension time. With the amount of people we have at SF/PF...it will be interesting to see if we keep him around. Here is an article that was written before last year's early extension talk...

Of the seven players from the class of 2009 who received early extensions, only No. 1 pick Blake Griffin signed during the summer. The rest went right up to the Oct. 31 deadline.

Then you can take a look at the extensions that were reached in the summer of '13...

Two to take note of are DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. This is what we should be expecting for Vuc, somewhere in the middle. As scary as that sounds to people...we have to face facts. Big men get paid. Like I said before, if we let him get to the open market...he WILL get a max offer sheet.

With a new CBA looming in 2016, these past examples may not be as relevant. A player like Harris is more likely to want a shorter term deal, especially considering his room for growth. You could certainly argue that Harris has much more room to grow than Vucevic does. In two years, Harris will likely be hitting his peak (in terms of his value on the open market) and that happens to coincide with the new CBA. I think extension talks with Harris will be very tough with Hennigan pushing for four years and Harris wanting a short term deal.

The end scenario I see is Vuc getting a max, 5 year extension with Harris becoming a restricted free agent and Hennigan matching a near max, 3 year deal with a PO in the 3rd.

Why exactly?

The injury/decline factor. Just my opinion but I think that it is much riskier for a big man to say, "OK, I'm going to take a short term deal and prepare myself for a new deal in two years." Look at the big men who have signed big contracts over the last handful of years and then what they did the following season. Most of those guys would not have earned that contract the following year.

While it is a debate that could go on for pages, I think it is very fair to say that Harris has much more room to grow than Vuc. I also think it is fair to say that there is a good chance that Vuc is very close to reaching his full potential....if he hasn't already. When it comes to Vuc, what you see today may be all you ever get. That is still one hell of a player...but for Vucevic, it would be wise to get a 5 year, max extension, while he can.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#28 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:41 pm

basketballRob wrote:I doubt it. Tim Duncan and Marcin Gortat both took contracts in the 10m rage and you can argue they're both better than Vucevic, even Duncan at the age of 37.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... eboundRate

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... jan01.html

argue to me that Gortat is better...
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#29 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:42 pm

orlando1214 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I doubt it. Tim Duncan and Marcin Gortat both took contracts in the 10m rage and you can argue they're both better than Vucevic, even Duncan at the age of 37.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... eboundRate

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... jan01.html

Vuc is getting the max. Whether or not you think he's better than Duncan or Gortat, which I definitely think he's at least better than Gortat, the biggest difference between those two and Vuc is age. Duncan and Gortat got the salaries they did because they are in their 30's and their talent is only going to decline. Vuc on the other hand is only 23 and will only get better throughout his next contract. In fact, I'd go as far to say that because a player like Gortat is getting $10 million a year, it only increases the chances of Vuc getting the max.

I know this thread is probably going to turn into another one of those arguments about how some people feel like we should let Vuc go because he's not Dwight 2.0. However, I totally disagree and I'm extremely happy with Vuc and he's exactly who I want as our Center. I cant wait to lock him up and make him a Magic player for the next several years at least.

Usually a player gets less money when their skills are going to decline. And Gortat got $12m/yr, not $10m
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#30 » by j-ragg » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:45 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

Douchey text aside, are we arguing they're contracts starting next summer or two years from now then?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#31 » by tiderulz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:46 pm

mojosodope wrote:I'm a bit torn on Vuc. While I somewhat agree with everyone's belief that you need to keep valuable big men around, I also feel strongly about overpaying them. Big men like Hibbert, Bogut Chandler and even Stoudamire are all to me examples of overpaid centers.

The way the game is played today is completley differnt than it was 10-15 years ago and the Center position is not nearly as valuable as many tend to believe. Yes, a dominant rim protecting center does change the game, but those centers are less and less common.

In addition, I think it is even MORE dangerous to pay a center that is not playoff tested than any other position. When the playoffs start and every rebound matters, the level of physicality increases and mental toughness is required, you see a lot of centers games become heavily diminished.

Just as we watched the meltdown of the Pacers this season, I think a large portion of that is attributed to Hibbert, his inability to have an impact on the game and the pressure of validating his over-payment.

This will not be a popular statement on this board, but Harris is the player that I believe is more valuable to this team's future. A quality individual (on and off the court) who has a deeper impact than many even realize

thats more an indictment on Hibbert than centers in general.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#32 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Nikola Vucevic will get close to or the max as he is a center.

However, I'm more curious about Tobias Harris' status.

With Channing Frye coming in and Aaron Gordon being drafted, you have to wonder about Harris' future here.

He can play 3 but that is not his primary position.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#33 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:52 pm

mojosodope wrote:I'm a bit torn on Vuc. While I somewhat agree with everyone's belief that you need to keep valuable big men around, I also feel strongly about overpaying them. Big men like Hibbert, Bogut Chandler and even Stoudamire are all to me examples of overpaid centers.

Vuc is a very smart and skilled player that doesnt have to rely on athleticism. I have hard time not seeing him being productive for years. You bring the Hibbert example but what exactly is he good at other than being 7'2 and putting his hands up? You say the NBA is changing and that is true, but its changing to where the traditional back to the basket big man is becoming obsolete, and skilled big men that help create spacing with outside shooting is a must, and Vuc can shot, plus he can pass and score. I don't care what people say, big men are still important, but not in the traditional sense of the big man stuck into the paint.
aka: prorl
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#34 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:54 pm

j-ragg wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

Douchey text aside, are we arguing they're contracts starting next summer or two years from now then?

Gotta be heard some how...way too many people on this board setting themselves up to be pissed off or disappointed. Just getting the word out now.

Two summers...summer of 2016 will be when the new CBA comes in to play. However, we have already seen contracts reflecting the climate that CBA will be causing. That is exactly why LeBron signed the deal he did, Parsons got the deal he received, and why Hayward got a max deal.

Max players are going to be receiving short term deal and players that are not quite worth the max are going to get max deals because they will be bargains in a couple years.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#35 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
Zmill wrote:

Why exactly?

The injury/decline factor. Just my opinion but I think that it is much riskier for a big man to say, "OK, I'm going to take a short term deal and prepare myself for a new deal in two years." Look at the big men who have signed big contracts over the last handful of years and then what they did the following season. Most of those guys would not have earned that contract the following year.

While it is a debate that could go on for pages, I think it is very fair to say that Harris has much more room to grow than Vuc. I also think it is fair to say that there is a good chance that Vuc is very close to reaching his full potential....if he hasn't already. When it comes to Vuc, what you see today may be all you ever get. That is still one hell of a player...but for Vucevic, it would be wise to get a 5 year, max extension, while he can.

Fair enough. I somewhat agree with your second paragraph here but the first I'm not so sure about. Teams are always going to throw money at bigs as long as they aren't plagued by injury. Particularly ones in their mid 20's. I think it is you being hopeful that we can retain Vucevic for a longer period of time at a decent price more than anything.

BTW did you see the article that the NBA will attempt to to stop the salary cap from spiking so high in just one year and will attempt to make it gradually increase instead? Can't find it now but it is interesting, I doubt the Players Association will agree to anything where they lose money though even if it is just for one season
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#36 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Zmill wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
Zmill wrote:
Why exactly?

Fair enough. I somewhat agree with your second paragraph here but the first I'm not so sure about. Teams are always going to throw money at bigs as long as they aren't plagued by injury. Particularly ones in their mid 20's. I think it is you being hopeful that we can retain Vucevic for a longer period of time at a decent price more than anything.

BTW did you see the article that the NBA will attempt to to stop the salary cap from spiking so high in just one year and will attempt to make it gradually increase instead? Can't find it now but it is interesting, I doubt the Players Association will agree to anything where they lose money though even if it is just for one season

I don't think it is that big of a stretch to think that Vuc will be taking the long term approach. While it isn't another big man, look at Bledsoe. He is seeking the 5 year extension. That is likely because of his durability. Vuc hasn't really shown any signs of being fragile...but by nature, big men just tend to be. A lot of people still think he has room to grow but he is not targeting 2016 because he likely isn't sure that he will be able to garner the same type of deal. I feel that is the story with most big men.

I hadn't heard about them trying to stretch out the cap hike. That would be interesting. I think you are right though...I'd imagine that would be one of the stances the players' union would be firm on. That would be a lot of money to just hold back.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#37 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:10 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
Zmill wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

I don't think it is that big of a stretch to think that Vuc will be taking the long term approach. While it isn't another big man, look at Bledsoe. He is seeking the 5 year extension. That is likely because of his durability. Vuc hasn't really shown any signs of being fragile...but by nature, big men just tend to be. A lot of people still think he has room to grow but he is not targeting 2016 because he likely isn't sure that he will be able to garner the same type of deal. I feel that is the story with most big men.

I hadn't heard about them trying to stretch out the cap hike. That would be interesting. I think you are right though...I'd imagine that would be one of the stances the players' union would be firm on. That would be a lot of money to just hold back.

I'll try and find the article later today when I get off work
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#38 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 pm

RapHippy wrote:I hope we're able to retain both, however if we were to keep just one, I think Tobias's natural leadership is very valuable to the team. Even before VO got drafted, our team started looking promising after Tobias's first .5 year, during the summer the group of player that seemed to never stopped working were Tobias, Harkless and Nicholson.

I think VO & Tobias become the greater priority on offense this season over Vucevic. Vucevic may score more, and his rebounds will be consistent, but VO & Tobias will generally be the ones creating opportunities for both themselves and the team.

Again I'd love it if we were to retain both on reasonable contracts, but Vucevic seems like the one that will be overpaid.
Vuc is by far the more valuable of the two players. As a matter of fact out of our "core" Harris is arguablly the most expendable.

"Disclaimer: That doesnt mean I think Tobias is a bad player, that we should trade him, or that I hate him"

Sent from my SM-G900P using RealGM Forums mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#39 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:16 pm

A NEAR MAX DEAL FOR HARRIS?! Holy ****...

Sent from my SM-G900P using RealGM Forums mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#40 » by tranjSAIC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm

I hope we don't either, but he is a good quality young big so I wouldn't be surprised or upset if we did. If we do max him, at least he is a young player so his max isn't as high as a vets max. And with the new CBA coming in, a pre CBA max isn't as bad as a later one.

Return to Orlando Magic