ImageImageImageImage

Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic will be FA next season...

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic will be FA next season... 

Post#1 » by RightToCensor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 am

Say neither accept their qualifying offers...

Will Orlando match any huge offer either Harris or Vucevic sign for? If so, what would be the maximum amount of money they would match?
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Re: Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic will be FA next season. 

Post#2 » by JF5 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 am

Vucevic, I'm pretty sure they'll match any offer that any team decides to give him. (He's going to be a top 3-5 Center for years to come. The Magic won't let him go.)

Tobias, it really depends how well he plays this season. We'll see with him...
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#3 » by NEM » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 am

Vucevic is getting matched regardless of what contract he gets. Tobias is getting matched up to 12 per year.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#4 » by Audi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 am

Vuc for max. Totally worth it.

Tobes will stay here with his cousin; new cushy-but-reasonable contract, playing in one of the greatest arenas with his established fan base, home base, and team base in place, starting on a very athletic high-potential team, with every opportunity to excel and propel him to whatever stardom he is capable of.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#5 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 am

I know most are Vucevic fans here but does it worry some here that he's not a good rim protector? I think their may be other centers in the league that don't get big minutes and rebound at the same rate, but don't protect the rim.

http://www.magicbasketballonline.com/20 ... rotectors/
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#6 » by Big A All Day » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:29 am

Pretty much echoing what's been said here already Vuc will be matched no matter the cost. Tobes most likely matched as well as long as he plays well this season.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#7 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:50 am

I doubt it. Tim Duncan and Marcin Gortat both took contracts in the 10m rage and you can argue they're both better than Vucevic, even Duncan at the age of 37.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... eboundRate

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... jan01.html
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#8 » by fendilim » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:04 am

I have a feeling Vuc will get the max.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#9 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 am

I could see Vuc getting traded for a player like Alex Len since they may be closer than us near the trade deadline.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#10 » by fendilim » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:10 am

heck no.. Len is terrible...
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#11 » by orlando1214 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am

basketballRob wrote:I doubt it. Tim Duncan and Marcin Gortat both took contracts in the 10m rage and you can argue they're both better than Vucevic, even Duncan at the age of 37.

Vuc is getting the max. Whether or not you think he's better than Duncan or Gortat, which I definitely think he's at least better than Gortat, the biggest difference between those two and Vuc is age. Duncan and Gortat got the salaries they did because they are in their 30's and their talent is only going to decline. Vuc on the other hand is only 23 and will only get better throughout his next contract. In fact, I'd go as far to say that because a player like Gortat is getting $10 million a year, it only increases the chances of Vuc getting the max.

I know this thread is probably going to turn into another one of those arguments about how some people feel like we should let Vuc go because he's not Dwight 2.0. However, I totally disagree and I'm extremely happy with Vuc and he's exactly who I want as our Center. I cant wait to lock him up and make him a Magic player for the next several years at least.
RapHippy
Rookie
And1: 267

Post#12 » by RapHippy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 am

I hope we're able to retain both, however if we were to keep just one, I think Tobias's natural leadership is very valuable to the team. Even before VO got drafted, our team started looking promising after Tobias's first .5 year, during the summer the group of player that seemed to never stopped working were Tobias, Harkless and Nicholson.

I think VO & Tobias become the greater priority on offense this season over Vucevic. Vucevic may score more, and his rebounds will be consistent, but VO & Tobias will generally be the ones creating opportunities for both themselves and the team.

Again I'd love it if we were to retain both on reasonable contracts, but Vucevic seems like the one that will be overpaid.
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#13 » by kbrow20 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 am

Centers get paid more RapHippy, so of course he will get overpaid or maybe underpaid. You can say he is not Dwight but thank god he isn't. Dwight is a cry baby that doesn't lack the ability to want to win. I honestly think he will be in the top 5 at the Center position in 3 years. It will be Vucevic, Drummond, and Davis as the the future for Center type players. So keep that guy and I can't wait to see you guys in a few years back on top of the east, when Dirk retires.
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,415

Post#14 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am

I thought both were in discussions for extensions this summer? Has there been any recent news pointing to the contrary or that deals couldn't be reached? I know they were waiting to start negotiations until after free agency.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#15 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:I doubt it. Tim Duncan and Marcin Gortat both took contracts in the 10m rage and you can argue they're both better than Vucevic, even Duncan at the age of 37.

Gortat isn't better than Vuc. As for Duncan that as more about him being a good guy and giving them a discount. Vuc is going to get something in the 10-14 mill range. Tobias is lower and as of right now more in the 7-9 range. But the most any guy can get is somewhat limited due to the number of years in the league. It is somewhere around 16 mill (the official number depends on what the cap is set at next year).
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,415

Post#16 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:16 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:

Gortat isn't better than Vuc. As for Duncan that as more about him being a good guy and giving them a discount. Vuc is going to get something in the 10-14 mill range. Tobias is lower and as of right now more in the 7-9 range. But the most any guy can get is somewhat limited due to the number of years in the league. It is somewhere around 16 mill (the official number depends on what the cap is set at next year).

We gave Channing Frye 8 mil per year and he's nearly a decade older and doesn't put up nearly the numbers Tobias has or is capable of. To put this in perspect, Gordon Hayward got 4 years, $63 mil while averaging 16/5/5 with the Jazz. Tobias put up similar numbers (15/2/7) in a reduced role at a younger age.

Not saying Tobias is as good, worse, or better than Hayward. Just that, is he really worth half as much?
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#17 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Deciding which post to respond to first. There's just so much wrong in here, I don't know where to start.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#18 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I'll save myself some time...from my big post....

Another cornerstone of the Hennigan rebuild is the belief that we need to hold on to our guys and allow them to develop in a Magic uniform. We can talk about Chauncey Billups or Ben Wallace at length but we all know that they were late bloomers than never had a chance to develop in a Magic uniform. Hennigan does not want to allow those things to happen. However, we are approaching the stage where we have to begin extending these rookie contracts. This is why I say we are entering "phase 2" of Hennigan's long term plan. Keeping our guys around. The key is figuring out who to keep and what they are worth.

Big men are tough to come by and when you do find a good one, they are not cheap. With the contracts that have been handed out in recent years, we can be certain the Vuc is going to earn a big pay day. However, it is hard to judge what kind of contract to expect with the new CBA looming in 2016. A lot of players seem to be seeking short term deals that allow them to capitalize on the money down the road. That being said, I think it is a MUCH riskier route for a big man then a wing player like LeBron or Stpehenson. For a big man, I would think that a long term deal would be the best way to go. That is something that could work well for both sides. It would be wise for us to long Vuc up to a long term deal prior to the new CBA.

One detail of contract extensions that many might not be aware of is that each team has the ability to give one player on their roster a five year extension, instead of the typical 4 year extension. The question is whether or not it would be a good idea to use it in Vucevic? Personally, I think he is the best person to use it on from a cap maintenance perspective. We certainly cannot let Vuc get to the open market as a restricted free agent. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have to match a max offer for him.

Tobias Harris is also approaching extension time. With the amount of people we have at SF/PF...it will be interesting to see if we keep him around. Here is an article that was written before last year's early extension talk...

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/1/456012 ... aul-george

Of the seven players from the class of 2009 who received early extensions, only No. 1 pick Blake Griffin signed during the summer. The rest went right up to the Oct. 31 deadline.

Then you can take a look at the extensions that were reached in the summer of '13...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820 ... -offseason

Two to take note of are DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. This is what we should be expecting for Vuc, somewhere in the middle. As scary as that sounds to people...we have to face facts. Big men get paid. Like I said before, if we let him get to the open market...he WILL get a max offer sheet.

With a new CBA looming in 2016, these past examples may not be as relevant. A player like Harris is more likely to want a shorter term deal, especially considering his room for growth. You could certainly argue that Harris has much more room to grow than Vucevic does. In two years, Harris will likely be hitting his peak (in terms of his value on the open market) and that happens to coincide with the new CBA. I think extension talks with Harris will be very tough with Hennigan pushing for four years and Harris wanting a short term deal.

The end scenario I see is Vuc getting a max, 5 year extension with Harris becoming a restricted free agent and Hennigan matching a near max, 3 year deal with a PO in the 3rd.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#19 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:08 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:I thought both were in discussions for extensions this summer? Has there been any recent news pointing to the contrary or that deals couldn't be reached? I know they were waiting to start negotiations until after free agency.

They are eligible to receive early extensions this offseason.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 334

Post#20 » by Mad Guru » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

I thought I read something about them being able to sign extensions in September

Return to Orlando Magic