ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread Part 2 (Offseason 2014)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Re: Official Speculation Thread Part 2 (Offseason 2014) 

Post#2781 » by mojosodope » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:05 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:Here is an interesting question. Let's say we don't enter into an extension agreement with Harris, and he is a RFA next summer. San Antonio seems to be having similar issues on reaching an extension with Kawhi Leonard, as he wants a max offer. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--n ... 09203.html).

Let's say they also don't reach a deal with him, and he also becomes a RFA. Entering the 2015 offseason, should we offer Leonard a max offer right off the bat? The timing of this could allow us to try and get Leonard, but if we miss, still keep Harris. Simply put, we'd have to make the offer to Leonard far enough such that he accepts it and San Antonio doesn't match it before another team does the same with Harris. I think this is very doable. If he declines or SA matches, we simply match on Harris for whatever he gets. The potential cons of this are that we piss Harris off if we lose both. As for whether Leonard is worth it.

"Leonard, 23, is considered one of the NBA's rising young stars, and multiple league executives told Yahoo Sports he'll command a max offer sheet on the market next summer."

Our lineup would be a defensive stud unit at the 1-4 positions:

C-Vuc
PF-Gordon
SF-Leonard
SG-Oladipo
PG-Payton

Leonard is considered one of the nba's rising stars because of how well he fits into the Spurs' system. IMO he is not a better offensive player than Harris, but a FAR superior defensive player. The lineup you described could potentially be great on defense, but on the flip side it could be PAINFUL to watch on offense. Even if they weren't as terrible on Offense as I imagine; it would be some boring/ugly basketball
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#2782 » by Def Swami » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Jacque seemed awkwardly uncommitted to starting Payton. I've been pretty lenient with Vaughn the last 2 years given the circumstances, but if he starts a backcourt of Ridnour and Harkless, I'll be pissed.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#2783 » by flying_mollusk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:18 pm

mojosodope wrote:
flying_mollusk wrote:Here is an interesting question. Let's say we don't enter into an extension agreement with Harris, and he is a RFA next summer. San Antonio seems to be having similar issues on reaching an extension with Kawhi Leonard, as he wants a max offer. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--n ... 09203.html).

Let's say they also don't reach a deal with him, and he also becomes a RFA. Entering the 2015 offseason, should we offer Leonard a max offer right off the bat? The timing of this could allow us to try and get Leonard, but if we miss, still keep Harris. Simply put, we'd have to make the offer to Leonard far enough such that he accepts it and San Antonio doesn't match it before another team does the same with Harris. I think this is very doable. If he declines or SA matches, we simply match on Harris for whatever he gets. The potential cons of this are that we piss Harris off if we lose both. As for whether Leonard is worth it.

"Leonard, 23, is considered one of the NBA's rising young stars, and multiple league executives told Yahoo Sports he'll command a max offer sheet on the market next summer."

C-Vuc
PF-Gordon
SF-Leonard
SG-Oladipo
PG-Payton

Leonard is considered one of the nba's rising stars because of how well he fits into the Spurs' system. IMO he is not a better offensive player than Harris, but a FAR superior defensive player. The lineup you described could potentially be great on defense, but on the flip side it could be PAINFUL to watch on offense. Even if they weren't as terrible on Offense as I imagine; it would be some boring/ugly basketball

Yeah, I imagined that lineup to be similar to the Pacers in terms of defense emphasis. I do agree that Harris's ability to make plays can be invaluable, and I think he shows how important that will be this year. Next offseason will def be interesting, as the cap going up could give a lot of teams money to play with.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#2784 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:44 pm

C-Vuc
PF-Gordon
SF-Leonard
SG-Oladipo
PG-Payton

I never would of thought that the Spurs would encounter this kind of resistance in resigning one of their core guys. Leonard is one of the guys I'd love to have if Harris isn't staying, but I never imagined that he could be acquired. I think you definitely are on to something about signing Leonard to an offer sheet. It absolutely has to be before Harris signs an offer sheet next season though.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#2785 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Couple of folks around the web saying we've already told Leonard's agent we'll offer him the max.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#2786 » by tooler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Def Swami wrote:Jacque seemed awkwardly uncommitted to starting Payton. I've been pretty lenient with Vaughn the last 2 years given the circumstances, but if he starts a backcourt of Ridnour and Harkless, I'll be pissed.

Did he talk about lineups in the videos? Can't see them on Tapatalk.

If he starts Ridnour then I wonder if he's been given a wins target this year or truly believes we can make the playoffs. Otherwise, with Frye and Dipo out, it seems like a nice throwaway opportunity to get Payton some early experience. Maybe he thinks Payton would be detrimental to the other guys? That wouldn't be fair to them I guess. Just brainstorming.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach

Post#2787 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 pm

I wasn't following basketball when it happened back in the day but this Leonard talk starting up is reminding me of the Duncan-to-Orlando saga from back in the day.

rcklsscognition wrote:Couple of folks around the web saying we've already told Leonard's agent we'll offer him the max.

Where did you hear this from?
mojosodope
Sixth Man

Post#2788 » by mojosodope » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:29 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:I wasn't following basketball when it happened back in the day but this Leonard talk starting up is reminding me of the Duncan-to-Orlando saga from back in the day.

rcklsscognition wrote:Couple of folks around the web saying we've already told Leonard's agent we'll offer him the max.

Let me tell you what will really happen.

We don't extend Harris and make a max offer to Leonard. in that very short window of time, someone will swoop in and make a max offer to Harris, rendering us unable to match it. The spurs will match Leonard's offer, because that's what they plan to do anyway, meanwhile we lose Harris and Leonard.

But it will all be ok, because we will still have Gordon and Oladipo and Harkless who all have more potential than Harris
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Official Speculation Thread Part 2 (Offseason 2014) 

Post#2789 » by tooler » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Kawhi seems like a nice "free" opportunity you can take when you've got options, youth, and depth at every position (except maybe center, which might be why we locked him up). It reminds me of taking BPA in the draft. It doesn't rely on pipe dreams either (clear cap room to go all-in for Durant!)

I say "free" because I figured we'd have time to match after Spurs matched, assuming we make the offer immediately. Isn't it all the same 72 hour window?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#2790 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Really? That would be crazy. If Vuc can consistently be atleast an average defender, Payton/Oladipo/Leonard/Gordon would be a defensive dynasty
OrlandoNed
Head Coach

Post#2791 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:43 pm

mojosodope wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:I wasn't following basketball when it happened back in the day but this Leonard talk starting up is reminding me of the Duncan-to-Orlando saga from back in the day.

We don't extend Harris and make a max offer to Leonard. in that very short window of time, someone will swoop in and make a max offer to Harris, rendering us unable to match it. The spurs will match Leonard's offer, because that's what they plan to do anyway, meanwhile we lose Harris and Leonard.

But it will all be ok, because we will still have Gordon and Oladipo and Harkless who all have more potential than Harris

In your hypothetical scenario, you forget that Harris is a restricted free agent just like Leonard. We would have the same opportunity to keep Harris, assuming we sign Leonard to an offer sheet before Harris signs his offer sheet. If Henny wants Leonard, he will be smart enough to make sure we have Harris to fall back on, just in case the Spurs match.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#2792 » by MJallday59 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:45 pm

mojosodope wrote:

I dunno. I think the Magic will offer Kawhi the max and have an offer sheet signed by day 1 of RFA....I think Harris will sign it about day 3...

If spurs match then we'll try to keep T12.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#2793 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:47 pm

mojosodope wrote:Leonard is considered one of the nba's rising stars because of how well he fits into the Spurs' system. IMO he is not a better offensive player than Harris, but a FAR superior defensive player. The lineup you described could potentially be great on defense, but on the flip side it could be PAINFUL to watch on offense. Even if they weren't as terrible on Offense as I imagine; it would be some boring/ugly basketball

What tells you he isn't better offensively than Harris?

Through 3 seasons, Kawhi has better eFG%, TS%, Ast%, TOV%, and he Shoots more 3s. There is really nothing that Tobias does better than Kawhi.

I don't really think you can call him "rising" anymore. He's probably the 3rd best SF behind Lebron and Durant. He's the best wing defender in the league and is a guy who can score without anyone calling his number.
in-limbo
Sixth Man
And1: 362

Post#2794 » by in-limbo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:50 pm

I couldn't care less who starts. Elfrid will get plenty of run this year.
mojosodope
Sixth Man

Post#2795 » by mojosodope » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
mojosodope wrote:Leonard is considered one of the nba's rising stars because of how well he fits into the Spurs' system. IMO he is not a better offensive player than Harris, but a FAR superior defensive player. The lineup you described could potentially be great on defense, but on the flip side it could be PAINFUL to watch on offense. Even if they weren't as terrible on Offense as I imagine; it would be some boring/ugly basketball

What tells you he isn't better offensively than Harris?

Through 3 seasons, Kawhi has better eFG%, TS%, Ast%, TOV%, and he Shoots more 3s. There is really nothing that Tobias does better than Kawhi.

He plays on the spurs. Are you going to tell me that playing with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Danny Green, Boris Diaw and Manu Ginoboli with Pop coaching has no effect on floor spacing or all of the stats which you listed?

They play a good brand of basketball with very good pieces. IMO you could put a lot of differnt players in Leonard's position and it would amplify their strengths because of how strong the team is.

Danny green wasn't near the shooter he was outside of that system. I don't see Leonard being the offensive player he is outside of that system. Defense wise I think he remains just as strong
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#2796 » by flying_mollusk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 pm

The timing of a Leonard - Harris RFA signing situation would depend on the type of season Harris has. If he goes off and has an amazing year (entirely possible) then yes, some team might try and get him early. But in that instance, we may not want to even sign Leonard. However, I think it is unlikely that a team swoops in and we still have time to match an offer on Harris if we miss on Leonard.
Supreme
Starter
And1: 338

Post#2797 » by Supreme » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Zmill wrote:

Really? That would be crazy. If Vuc can consistently be atleast an average defender, Payton/Oladipo/Leonard/Gordon would be a defensive dynasty

Holy jebus. If that actually happened I would erect a statue of Mr. Hennigan outside of Amway Center myself.

It won't look very good, but I'll do it.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#2798 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Some preseason rankings for Orlando:

11th in pace
6th overall defense
3rd in defensive board
11th offensive boards
25th offense
30th in ft attempts.

The free throw thing is killing me. Look like last year. Good defense, terrible offense, no free throws.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RealGM Forums mobile app
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#2799 » by Viper1500 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#2800 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

in-limbo wrote:I couldn't care less who starts. Elfrid will get plenty of run this year.

This.

People forget he's a rookie and will likely hit the rookie wall. Gotta manage his minutes to make sure he's productive the whole year, instead of just half of it. Also, because he's a rookie, gotta put him in a position to build his confidence. I want him to start, but JV is better than me at coaching and managing players. Whatever happens, happens.

Return to Orlando Magic