The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Mass Dispatch 9.0.: The Interview and Last Call 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Mass Dispatch 9.0

In this week's edition of Mass Dispatch......

The Mass Matter reveals the result of Wavy Q's Interview and The Final Call For” Beat The Commish”

Ask Howard addresses how users catch my eye when looking for a Moderator and the possibility of a WNBA Forum.

We then have The Mass Dispatch User (s), Thread and Moderator of The Week. The General Off-Topic Forum User of the Month is also announced.

Inside The Administrator's Office has information from behind the scenes on a possible Amendment to our General NBA Board Appeals Rules, An update on the NBA team Forum Moderator position that I want to fill and two big changes that could be coming to our General Off-Topic Board.

Let's get to The Mass Matter...........

The Mass Matter: Wavy Q's Interview and Last Call For "Beat The Commish"

"The Interview"

Last Week, Wavy Q was announced as The Winner of The Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be A Moderator? User Vote.

This earned him an interview with me for a Moderator position on an NFL Forum.

The interview went very well and Wavy Q did great on all of his questions.

He also came off as a very bright guy and it's not surprising since he is entering Medical School.

However, I know people who have gone to Medical School and it sounds like hell. In addition, Wavy Q is working a job.

At RealGM, we care about education and everyone's non-cyber life. We do not want anyone to bite off more than they can chew. Is It possible Wavy Q could be a Moderator? Absoultely, but I just do not feel right about making that call at this time. The most important thing for me is for Wavy Q to continue the path towards a very successful adult life and Moderating would take more of the little free time he has.

Wavy Q and I have agreed to explore this possibility again in one year though when he is a year into Medical School.

The Voters definitely picked someone who could one day be a Moderator on an NFL Forum.

Regardless of what happens a year from now, no one can take away from Wavy Q that is the first Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational User Vote Winner.

Last Call for “Beat The Commish”

This is The Last Call to enter The “Beat The Commish” Weekly NFL Picks Competition.

It's pretty simple.

Basically, you pick The winners of each week of NFL Games.

For Ex: You pick all 16 Winners for Week one and so on.

Everyone will be competing against me, Their Group (Users vs. Moderators) and each other.

For more details, please visit this thread

viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1340874

Here are The Participants so far

Users

hermes
The Regime
WVU
MalikJoakim24
Deep3CL
Slot Machine
NyCeEvO
Bish
El Turco
Earl
Wavy Q
Hopping4Wiggins
Cormag001

Moderators

Geoffrey P
Chuck Texas
Mr. E
studcrackers
kdawg32086
MadNESS
bondom34
Geddy

If you want in, The Deadline to make a post in the thread saying “I'm in” is Monday September 1 at 11:59 EST.

I look forward to see this fun competition and to see if anyone can “Beat The Commish”

Ask Howard

Have a question about RealGM? The Forums? An Issue you would like me to address publicly or something in general? Just post it in the Ask Howard Thread of The Mass Dispatch Forum or you could send me a PM and I just might answer it in my next column.

Bish Asks: How do users catch your eye when it comes to you searching for a mod?

Howard's Response: When there is a Moderator Vacancy, I look for a lot of things.

Activeness, A Good File, Constructive Posts, etc.

In doing this for 11 years, I usually just have a good gut instinct for Moderator talent.

A few years ago, I got that feeling when I encountered a user named KingKirk on our General Off-Topic Board. He was a good poster but not someone anyone had come to me and said “This guy is Moderator material”. In fact, I had never noticed him before but just knew he had moderating in him.

I found a spot for him on The Moderator Team and he took off from there and is now a Global Moderator.

I guess you could say it is all about being a good user and getting noticed.

Kaelin Asks: Obviously the WNBA's towards the tail end of things for this year already, but it should be worthy of having a board like how the D-League, High School, and the defunct Seattle Sonics have their own boards. Is this something we can see added?

Howard's Response: This is a question that has come in the past but not for the last couple of years.

We are also open to adding forums if there is interest. The D-League and High School Forums were mandated and I decided our Seattle SuperSonics will remain until the day they get their team back. I usually do not add forums unless there is enough interest.

I am sure WNBA fans are on these forums.

The big problem is this forum is dominated by mostly male fans and the feeling is the forum could unfortunately turn into more of a sexual discussion than a Basketball one.

If the interest is there though, I will consider adding a WNBA Forum.

Mass Dispatch User, Thread and Moderator of The Week Awards

It's time for the Weekly Mass Dispatch Forum Awards.

If you know of a User, Thread or Moderator that deserves to be recognized, please either send me a PM or make a post on The Mass Dispatch Forum.

Your nominee might just receive an Award.

Mass Dispatch User(s) of The Week

The Influx of New Users On Our San Francisco 49ers Forum

This past weekend, I noticed that our San Francisco 49ers Forum had a surge in traffic and when I went inside the forum, I found that a group of users from another forum where they were being unfairly treated had decided to migrate here.

They seem like a great bunch and am very happy that they have chosen RealGM as their new home.

It also shows that while we might be a Basketball-First Community, we can have active NFL Forums.

And to our Golden State Warriors Forum Users and Moderators, there is now definitely enough support for an active San Francisco 49ers Forum.

Thanks again for choosing RealGM.

Congratulations to Our New Users Who Have Chosen our San Francisco 49ers Forum as their new home!

Mass Dispatch Thread of The Week

The “Calling All Refugees” Thread On Our San Francisco 49ers Forum

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=1341604

This is a wonderful thread that shows our new San Francisco 49ers Users re-connecting from their move from their old Forum.

It's just wonderful to look at and I've gotten a chance to meet some of our new 49ers Users and I am sure they would love some Users of our Golden State Warriors Forum to join them.

Congratulations to our New San Francisco 49ers Forum Users!

Mass Dispatch Moderator Of The Week

icness

Jeff Risdon (icness) has been a Global Moderator on these Forums and an NFL Writer for our Football section for many years.

The guy is a true NFL Analyst and a great person. His posts and articles are outstanding too.

Even before we added an NFL section, he had risen to become a Global Moderator for his posts in our Basketball Section.

I want to recognize this great all-around NFL Guy and invite all of you to visit our NFL Forums this season.

Congratulations Icness!

General Off-Topic Board User of The Month

It's time to reveal who has won the second Mass Dispatch General Off-Topic Board User of the Month.

I looked at many users and while there was some contenders, no one could beat the reigning King.

For the second straight month, The Mass Dispatch General off-Topic Board User Of The Month is.....

El Turco

Inside The Administrator's Office

Back when I wrote Mass Dispatch 3.0., I had hoped users would follow my guidelines towards Successfully Appealing their Read-Only Access.

viewtopic.php?f=437&t=1335827

Unfortunately, I still get PM's simply stating “Can I have posting rights back” and “How do I appeal”.

A big problem with our General NBA Board is some users simply do not READ THE RULES.

Because of this, I will be discussing remedies including possible penalties with our General NBA Board Moderators.

My feeling is users who do not know how to appeal did not read the rules anyway and given all of The Appeals The Committee gets, I do not want to waste their time so users who are legitimately trying to appeal and improve their conduct get their appeals answered more quickly.

If you have not already done so, please read up on our General NBA Board Policy

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1201431

And on a related note, several appeals are close to being decided on and I'll be sending out some PM's by the end of Labor Day Weekend.

In some good news, things are moving forward with that NBA Team Forum Moderator Candidate that I have been mentioning in past additions. I hope to interview them within the next week.

If you are reading this early, Two big changes are going to happen on our General Off-Topic Forum within the next 24 hours. It will serve as a reminder to The Asylum that it is not anything goes over there.

Finally, it's an election year. In my home County (Seminole County, Florida) yesterday, it was reported that we only had a 18 percent Voter Turnout.

I know politics is in the gutter and seems hopeless at times in this country but people have to vote if they want change.

Which leads me to our Summer General NBA Board Strike Amnesty Period, of the many users who have one General NBA Board Strike or have successfully appealed their Read-Only Access Status, do you know how many applied for Strike Amnesty?

and only 1 user did it successfully.

The point in the story is if you want to better your situation where you live or on these forums, you have to vote or at least try when a chance is offered to better your situation. I am very disappointed in the lack of users who tried to apply for Strike Amnesty.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If anyone has a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: Mass Dispatch 9.0.: The Interview and Last Call 

Post#2 » by greenbeans » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:26 pm

Howard has a thing for Turkish gentlemen imo
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#3 » by El Turco » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 pm

i am overjoyed howard
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#4 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:36 am

I guess we'll have to wait another month to see if El Turco can (do what the Heat couldn't and) pull off a 3-peat. :)
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,567

Post#5 » by Sofia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:31 am

I'll preface by saying I am a GB read only user who did not apply for leniency and had no intention to do so.

Has anyone offered any feedback as to why so few users applied to be reinstated?

If I can offer my own observation as to a possible reason why, I thought some of the exchanges between mods and users in the thread announcing the amnesty period were quite abrasive from both sides. As I said, I didn't intend on applying anyway, but after reading some of the dismissive responses in that thread, my thought was "why bother?".

Again I'm just offering feedback, not shots fired.
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#6 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 am

Man who does a guy gotta pleasure to get user of the month around here?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#7 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:18 am

And hey howie how about the 3 or 4 of the previous 49ers fans who kept the board alive before these guys? No respect man, no respect
Jugs
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#8 » by Jugs » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm

oh man the bar is set so low and still nobody could beat el turco, amazing
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#9 » by hermes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:17 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:And hey howie how about the 3 or 4 of the previous 49ers fans who kept the board alive before these guys? No respect man, no respect

well turco did get recognized as user of the month
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#10 » by Wavy Q » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Id like to thank Howard for the opportunity, it was a fun
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#11 » by Wolfay » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 am

Howard Mass wrote:And to our Golden State Warriors Forum Users and Moderators, there is now definitely enough support for an active San Francisco 49ers Forum.

Howard Mass wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=1341604

This is a wonderful thread that shows our new San Francisco 49ers Users re-connecting from their move from their old Forum.

It's just wonderful to look at and I've gotten a chance to meet some of our new 49ers Users and I am sure they would love some Users of our Golden State Warriors Forum to join them.

And Sac Kings Forum users as well! Sacramento is a Niners town. Even our mayor said so!
magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#12 » by magic22s » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:55 am

Congratulations Icness!
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#13 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Congrats Icness!
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#14 » by hermes » Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:16 pm

howard will there be a thread on the nfl forum for the "beat the commish picks"?
DaddyBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 129

Post#15 » by DaddyBigD » Mon Sep 1, 2014 10:28 pm

he's scared. thought maybe we forgot about this.. lol
id guess he's working on it today. be up tonight or tomorrow
users currently on my blocked list: Dice, Hawthornewingo, McBulls
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#16 » by Howard Mass » Tue Sep 2, 2014 12:03 am

Yes, one will be made tomorrow.

TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#17 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:09 am

I can't wait to beat Howard in Pick' Em.

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#18 » by Howard Mass » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:24 am

I can't wait to beat you and I'll be contacting all of the participants sometime Tuesday night.

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#19 » by El Turco » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:46 am

it is pick 'em? real men play ats. then they spiral into addiction and end up living in cardboard boxes.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#20 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Sep 3, 2014 2:55 am

Maybe the game is rigged. :)

Return to Mass Dispatch