ImageImageImageImage

2014 College Football Discussion

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

2014 College Football Discussion 

Post#1 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Now that we know who's king, what are some of the key storylines to follow this year?

As a FSU alum, I'll be hoping my Noles make the playoffs. I doubt they'll produce the stats like last year, but I think they run the table to make the playoffs. Not worried about Louisville thursday game, but do think Gators will be very tough (if healthy) and they'll be the only team to cause trouble. IF, big if, we lose a game this year, i could see it being to UF (kills me to say that).

Also watch how Bama recovers at QB. Thought Coker would've won the starting job, but tough for someone missing spring ball to come in and beat out 5-yr senior, to start the season. We'll see how things progress.

What are some of the things you guys (and girls) are interested in seeing?
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: 2014 College Football Discussion 

Post#2 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Go Noles!!

I'am also surprised coker didnt win the starting job. thought he was pretty legit when he played for us last. Should be interesting to see who ends up as the season's best running back, considering commentators love Karlos Williams so much.

Highley unlikely a player wins two back to back hiesmans so I'am expecting another qb to win it this year.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#3 » by tiderulz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:29 pm

hmmm. we know who was king LAST year. remains to be seen who is king THIS year. :D

as for our QB situation, word is Sims is very inaccurate, but he knows the play book. This will be like AJ/Sims 3 years ago. Saban will play both until 1 fully takes the job.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Nyce and Orlwillbeback, Sims won the starting job because he has been at Bama a few yrs and knows their offense. Coker missed spring ball, because he was still in Tallahassee finishing graduating. I think eventually Coker will be their starter.

As for our Noles, I think we repeat!
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Nyce and Orlwillbeback, Sims won the starting job because he has been at Bama a few yrs and knows their offense. Coker missed spring ball, because he was still in Tallahassee finishing graduating. I think eventually Coker will be their starter.

As for our Noles, I think we repeat!

Well, new OC, so Sims doesnt know it that well. But he has the trust of Saban, that is the key.
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#6 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Sims looked inconsistent. Missed a lot of easy throws but I think he has good pocket awareness and quick legs to be dual-threat. A lot of dropped balls too.

When's the last time Bama put this many yrs on offense? Was it Lane or bad WVU defense?

Clemson's backup QB, Watson, looks very good. If he was the starter, they'd be up by 2 TD on UGA. Speaking of the Dawgs, I hope Clemson puts up 50 on Pruitt's defense, lol.

I got to spend all day on the couch and I'm enjoying my saturdays feeling normal.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:04 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Sims looked inconsistent. Missed a lot of easy throws but I think he has good pocket awareness and quick legs to be dual-threat. A lot of dropped balls too.

When's the last time Bama put this many yrs on offense? Was it Lane or bad WVU defense?

Clemson's backup QB, Watson, looks very good. If he was the starter, they'd be up by 2 TD on UGA. Speaking of the Dawgs, I hope Clemson puts up 50 on Pruitt's defense, lol.

I got to spend all day on the couch and I'm enjoying my saturdays feeling normal.

last year, Bama put up that many yards 3 times. I do think Lane will bring things to the offense.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#8 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:00 pm

As an alumni of both Florida State and Baylor, football has been very exciting for me of late.

I am not worried one bit about the OkState game for FSU. The Noles locked them down and moved the ball very easily early in the game. So we saw that the dominant talent is still there but perhaps it came too easy, too early, too soon after an ego inflating summer following the title win? OkState isn't an elite team this year but they are still a strong and very well coached Big 12 team. You can't let up and give up momentum to a team like that. I am actually happy that this happened. Jimbo now has tape to point to when egos start getting out of hand or effort in practice starts slipping.

Others here probably don't care about Baylor in the regular season, but with a win over Oklahoma, Baylor could very well be a playoff team and QB Bryce Petty is a very real threat for the Heisman. Baylor will never be known for shut down defense but they are super fast in the secondary. If Baylor can grab a lead early and force teams to throw the ball, that secondary will eat them up. If Baylor can't secure a lead and lets the other team kill the clock with a ground game / short game (like UCF did) they are in trouble. So I don't see Baylor getting past teams like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia or Florida State in the playoffs but they could come out and surprise people against an Oregon or UCLA.

I can't wait for the playoffs! I hope at least one of FSU / Baylor makes it there but it will be exciting no matter who is in!
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 7:54 pm

sorry sir, not allowed to pledge allegiance to 2 programs. If FSU played Baylor in title game, who do you root for?
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#10 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 8:42 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:sorry sir, not allowed to pledge allegiance to 2 programs. If FSU played Baylor in title game, who do you root for?

FSU >>>>>> Baylor all day!

I grew up a Florida State fan. Baylor only entered my radar for grad school as a professor there in the same field had a big research grant and was looking for students. Only recently has Baylor football been worth caring about for me!
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#11 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:48 am

We play Citadel this weekend...

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Fri Sep 5, 2014 1:00 pm

a lot of teams playing cupcakes after playing name opponents the first week.
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#13 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 7:54 pm

I'll be watching the FSU freshman establish themselves this week vs. cupcake, but will be flipping back and forth to Mich St. vs Ore. That should be very good game; as will USC vs Stanford.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#14 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 2:40 pm

What a great day for the Big 10.......lol

Michigan gets dominated, Iowa was outplayed before prevailing at the end, Purdue looked terrible and was demolished by MAC powerhouse Western Michigan, Michigan State wasn't able to keep up with Oregon, Nebraska was in a dog fight with McNeese St, Maryland got the winning score when USF blocked their "own" punt resulting in a touchdown, Northwestern was pounded by NIU, and finally......Ohio State lost at home against Va Tech.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#15 » by Gerhalt11 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:18 pm

My Gators looked razor sharp on Saturday. Yeah, against Eastern Michigan, but a hallmark of a good team is destroying the teams you're supposed to destroy. And we did, en masse.

Most point scored under Muschamp. Ninth highest yardage total in school history. Most pass completions since Tebow. All major steps in revamping an offense that...well..."struggled" last year.

Very excited to see what Roper can do against better competition. Watch out Bama!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by craig01 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 12:06 am

The Gators will surprise people this year.

Driskel is one of the few QB's with much if any experience, and if the gators stay healthy should make a run for the East this year.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#17 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:34 pm

craig01 wrote:The Gators will surprise people this year.

Driskel is one of the few QB's with much if any experience, and if the gators stay healthy should make a run for the East this year.

I live out here in Texas and I can tell you that fans were THRILLED when Muschamp was hired by UF. He was the assumed "coach in waiting" behind Mack Brown and people close to the UT program had little faith in him as a head coach.

The Gators will always have talent but just like FSU showed during the Jeff Bowden era, talent doesn't get you very far without great coaching. It doesn't help that their schedule includes @ #1 FSU, @ #3 Bama and the always crazy game against #6 Georgia.

If healthy, the talent is there to win any game but is the coaching there to win the big road games against equally talented but extremely well coached teams like FSU and Bama?
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#18 » by Gerhalt11 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
craig01 wrote:The Gators will surprise people this year.

I live out here in Texas and I can tell you that fans were THRILLED when Muschamp was hired by UF. He was the assumed "coach in waiting" behind Mack Brown and people close to the UT program had little faith in him as a head coach.

The Gators will always have talent but just like FSU showed during the Jeff Bowden era, talent doesn't get you very far without great coaching. It doesn't help that their schedule includes @ #1 FSU, @ #3 Bama and the always crazy game against #6 Georgia.

If healthy, the talent is there to win any game but is the coaching there to win the big road games against equally talented but extremely well coached teams like FSU and Bama?

I'd like to remind you that, in Muschamp's second season, they were a Jordan Reed fumble against Georgia away from going undefeated in the regular season. I, personally think Muschamp is a great coach. Injuries wrecked the team last year, and the lack of stability at the offensive coordinator position has hurt us a lot, too.

No one is under the illusion that Florida will compete for a championship this year. The schedule, alone precludes that from happening. But winning the SEC East is not out of the question, and if Muschamp keeps his job and recruits to Roper's new offensive schemes, this team will be very scary in another season or two.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by craig01 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Va Tech built on their momentum from last week by being outplayed at home by ECU. Lol

ECU probably should have had a 31-0 lead at the half, but didn't, VT tied the game late, then inexplicably allowed ECU to score very late.

Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#20 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:23 pm

craig01 wrote:Va Tech built on their momentum from last week by being outplayed at home by ECU. Lol

ECU probably should have had a 31-0 lead at the half, but didn't, VT tied the game late, then inexplicably allowed ECU to score very late.

They scored the winning touchdown in like a minute, i couldnt believe it.

Return to Orlando Magic