ImageImageImageImage

OT Player Stat question

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

OT Player Stat question 

Post#1 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:46 am

Hey do you guys know of a site online where you can get an NBA player's career min at each position?

Thanks
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Re: OT Player Stat question 

Post#2 » by Devin 1L » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:25 am

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist --largely because of subjectivity in positions and such-- but I think your best bet would be to check individual player pages on Basketball-Reference.

At some time in the recent past they added position estimates. So, you could manually figure out (or estimate, rather) the number of minute a player has played at each position.

For example, in 05-06 their estimates put Tim Duncan's minutes at 71% PF, 29% C, and show that he played 2,784 minutes. You can do the math.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ati01.html

Given that they show the breakdowns for every year of their career, if you're wanting to look at a large number of players/years, you could pretty easily copy and paste it into an Excel file, add a couple columns, and just have Excel do it all for you.

Hope that helps.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,494

Re: OT Player Stat question 

Post#3 » by doct3r dr3 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 am

Devin 1L wrote:I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist --largely because of subjectivity in positions and such-- but I think your best bet would be to check individual player pages on Basketball-Reference.

At some time in the recent past they added position estimates. So, you could manually figure out (or estimate, rather) the number of minute a player has played at each position.

For example, in 05-06 their estimates put Tim Duncan's minutes at 71% PF, 29% C, and show that he played 2,784 minutes. You can do the math.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ati01.html

Given that they show the breakdowns for every year of their career, if you're wanting to look at a large number of players/years, you could pretty easily copy and paste it into an Excel file, add a couple columns, and just have Excel do it all for you.

Hope that helps.

Played around with this a bit, and made an unexpected discovery:

In 2013-14, Channing Frye (1549) logged more minutes at center than Nik Vucevic (1450) did.

(A lot of this has to do with Vooch missing 25 games and Frye playing all 82, but Frye played two-thirds of his minutes at C according to basketball-reference.)

Also, surprisingly, Andrew Nicholson (904) logged more minutes at PF than Channing Frye (763) did.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.

Return to Orlando Magic