ImageImageImageImage

SVG?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

aad
Starter
And1: 460

SVG? 

Post#1 » by aad » Thu Sep 4, 2014 10:21 pm

Can yall tell me a little about SVG and what kind of coach he is thanks in advance
Showbiz Bear
Rookie
And1: 477

Re: SVG? 

Post#2 » by Showbiz Bear » Thu Sep 4, 2014 10:31 pm

You're welcome.
aad
Starter
And1: 460

Post#3 » by aad » Thu Sep 4, 2014 11:02 pm

lol
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#4 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Sep 4, 2014 11:13 pm

Intelligent strategist, great with xs and os. Abrasive personality that shows in pressers and his outbursts wear on players.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#5 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Sep 4, 2014 11:16 pm

Complete opposite of our coach basically.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#6 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 11:33 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:Intelligent strategist, great with xs and os. Abrasive personality that shows in pressers and his outbursts wear on players.

A coach is not a friend. As long as they get good results without sacraficing safety or breaking rules, they don't have to be nice.

The only players I remember openly complaining about SVG's attitude were Dwight and Shaq. Sure, other guys made comments but saying he is hard on them isn't the same as saying they can't play for them. These two guys take insecurity and immaturity to a new level. Look at what happened with Dwight in LA. Look at any TNT broadcast with Shaq and Chuck.

I would LOVE to have Stan here again to coach Dipo. Stan can get so much out of his players and Dipo is a kid who seems to have the professional, hard working attitude to tolerate Stan.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#7 » by Gomagic44 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 11:48 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Intelligent strategist, great with xs and os. Abrasive personality that shows in pressers and his outbursts wear on players.

A coach is not a friend. As long as they get good results without sacraficing safety or breaking rules, they don't have to be nice.

The only players I remember openly complaining about SVG's attitude were Dwight and Shaq. Sure, other guys made comments but saying he is hard on them isn't the same as saying they can't play for them. These two guys take insecurity and immaturity to a new level. Look at what happened with Dwight in LA. Look at any TNT broadcast with Shaq and Chuck.

I would LOVE to have Stan here again to coach Dipo. Stan can get so much out of his players and Dipo is a kid who seems to have the professional, hard working attitude to tolerate Stan.
I got hooked just as Stan left. I've read on this board multiple times that Stan isn't that great at developing young talent. He prefers vets and competing more than being in the youngins up properly. I loved how he stuck it to Dwight and that meltdown pressed was freaking delightful.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#8 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:06 am

Gomagic44 wrote:I got hooked just as Stan left. I've read on this board multiple times that Stan isn't that great at developing young talent. He prefers vets and competing more than being in the youngins up properly. I loved how he stuck it to Dwight and that meltdown pressed was freaking delightful.

I can think of a few players who owe their first big contract to SVG and would argue against this point.

Who says throwing rookies into the fire (on a competitive team) is the "proper" way to bring them up?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#9 » by thelead » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:18 am

Showbiz Bear wrote:Image

You're welcome.

this gif makes me laugh every time :lol:
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#10 » by Def Swami » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:19 am

Gomagic44 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I got hooked just as Stan left. I've read on this board multiple times that Stan isn't that great at developing young talent. He prefers vets and competing more than being in the youngins up properly. I loved how he stuck it to Dwight and that meltdown pressed was freaking delightful.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

One of the biggest misnomers about Stan. He developed guys like JJ Redick, Marcin Gortat, Ryan Anderson, and took Dwight Howard's game to a level that Dwight has not replicated since leaving Stan. He got this bad rap for not developing young players because several members of this board thought Von Wafer and Deandre Liggins (along with others) were actually good players. Stan was never hesitant to play the best guys. He started Courtney Lee as a rookie. Folks just couldn't bear the fact that from 2010-2012 the young players who rode the pine were not good.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#11 » by fendilim » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:28 am

Arguably the best coach in team history. Would want him back.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#12 » by shadrock » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:42 am

Master of panic... lol

But seriously, a great coach, but can be a bit stubborn. Will generally get the most out of players.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#13 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Sep 5, 2014 1:16 am

fendilim wrote:Arguably the best coach in team history. Would want him back.

This. Sooooooo much this. Detroit fans are going to love him.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#14 » by UCF » Fri Sep 5, 2014 1:25 am

You will love the post game interviews
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#15 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 1:34 am

UCF wrote:You will love the post game interviews

There were soooo many times when I was more excited for his post game interview than I was the game itself! lol
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#16 » by dsg2021 » Fri Sep 5, 2014 2:10 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
UCF wrote:You will love the post game interviews

There were soooo many times when I was more excited for his post game interview than I was the game itself! lol

I wouldn't watch any of JV's last season, and with Stan the man I would stay around for many of them
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#17 » by UCF » Fri Sep 5, 2014 2:52 am

Stan speaks the truth, no candy coated bs most coaches feed the media.
bajotierra
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#18 » by bajotierra » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:23 am

I think its fair to say he is the most beloved coach by fans in Magic history. That's saying a lot when we've had Rivers and Chuck Daly as coaches. You always knew where Stan stood. No sugar coating, no self filter...rough around the edges. That said, boy can he maximize talent. He constantly pushes his players hard and some weak minded players may not like that.

I personally wish he was still here as I have no doubt he could push our roster to become a playoff team...THIS year. :cry:
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#19 » by fendilim » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:34 am

Will till he wears down Smith and Jennings. Drummond will be fantastic for sure.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#20 » by tiderulz » Fri Sep 5, 2014 12:57 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:

he didnt say he had to be nice. But players dont like to be constantly called out in public by their coach, whether they truly deserve it or not. And they dont like a coach constantly harping gloom, doom and negativity all the time.

Return to Orlando Magic