ImageImageImageImage

Tobias Harris Extension

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Tobias Harris Extension 

Post#101 » by tooler » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I don't think this is such a hard concept to understand, so why does it make people so angry?

It's like buying a new car. To some people, the social evaluation of whether you got a "deal" or not is more important than the context surrounding the entire transaction.

To be fair, the way it relates to Tobias is whether Hennigan is a sucker who pays too much. But I don't think you can draw any conclusions (i.e. predict the Tobias contract) from the Gordon deal.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: Tobias Harris Extension 

Post#102 » by Skin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Orlando is paying extra to Ben Gordon this year in order to get a team option on the following year.

Sure, we probably could have signed him for less per year, but we would have had to give him more years. In the scenario, Orlando gets a shooter for one year on the bench while preserving 2015 salary flexibility. Meanwhile, Gordon gets his money up front and has the chance to earn another contract elsewhere.

I don't think this is such a hard concept to understand, so why does it make people so angry?

Never thought of it like that. Makes a lot of sense to me.

tiderulez.... change your mind yet?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#103 » by tiderulz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 am

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Orlando is paying extra to Ben Gordon this year in order to get a team option on the following year.

Sure, we probably could have signed him for less per year, but we would have had to give him more years. In the scenario, Orlando gets a shooter for one year on the bench while preserving 2015 salary flexibility. Meanwhile, Gordon gets his money up front and has the chance to earn another contract elsewhere.

I don't think this is such a hard concept to understand, so why does it make people so angry?

not really. Why do we "have" to give him any money? Willie Green is a 43% shooter over the past 4 seasons playing 18 mpg, and a professional on and off the court. If we are expecting more than that minutes wise for Gordon, then we have traded away all our young talent and are screwing the season, or we have multiple injuries, and are screwing the season.

Doesnt make me angry, i just dont view it as a great move and dont view everything Hennigan does with a golden touch like some people on here. Hennigan seems to have a great eye for talent regarding drafting, but we still have a team that has had the 2nd and 3rd worse records i believe, and we still have no idea what our #4 pick is supposed to be other than an energy player.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#104 » by Skin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 am

tiderulz wrote:
Skin wrote:

not really. Why do we "have" to give him any money? Willie Green is a 43% shooter over the past 4 seasons playing 18 mpg, and a professional on and off the court. If we are expecting more than that minutes wise for Gordon, then we have traded away all our young talent and are screwing the season, or we have multiple injuries, and are screwing the season.

Doesnt make me angry, i just dont view it as a great move and dont view everything Hennigan does with a golden touch like some people on here. Hennigan seems to have a great eye for talent regarding drafting, but we still have a team that has had the 2nd and 3rd worse records i believe, and we still have no idea what our #4 pick is supposed to be other than an energy player.

Here's the luxury. We have both. We can play the hot hand.

Now you're complaining about not knowing who our #4 pick is supposed to be? Name me the player you wanted there that would've answered your own question.

This is how great Hennigan is. We're talking about Ben Gordon being his worst move and the signing doesn't hurt us now or later.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#105 » by drsd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:41 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:What I don't understand is why people are so upset about the 1 year deal that Ben Gordon got. Its not going to affect our cap nor is it coming from our personal bank accounts so why the fuss? People also don't realize that we have bunch of rookie contracts. We don't really have sizable veteran contracts to trade and Ben's contract can be used to match salaries if the opportunity arises. This is like a insurance policy that Rob acquired just in case, kind of like acquiring a living, breathing TPE. Either way, this is a Tobias Harris thread.

Gordon-B might have been able to get 2 to 2.5M from most any team. The only way Orlando could get him was to over-pay. In many ways Gordon-B's role is an on the court trainer and coach. Notably he is there for Oladipo to refine the art of playing combo-guard / undersized-SG. It is the off-the-court effect of Frye and Gordon-B, which we fans ave ZERO comprehension of, that causes some vets to earn.
tooler
General Manager

Post#106 » by tooler » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Moving this from the speculation thread to avoid cluttering it up with Tobias talk.

MagicFan101 wrote:I am extremely happy to read that while Vuc just got paid, Orlando and Harris are very far apart on $$$.

Shh.. don't tell anyone, but me too.

Just not sure where he fits on this team long-term with Aaron Gordon, Channing Frye, and Kyle O'Quinn. Trade Frye in 2 years and make him a small ball power forward? Leave Aaron as a backup the next 3 years?

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I might have missed it.
Daniel Lee
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#107 » by Daniel Lee » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 am

tooler wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I don't think this is such a hard concept to understand, so why does it make people so angry?

It's like buying a new car. To some people, the social evaluation of whether you got a "deal" or not is more important than the context surrounding the entire transaction.

To be fair, the way it relates to Tobias is whether Hennigan is a sucker who pays too much. But I don't think you can draw any conclusions (i.e. predict the Tobias contract) from the Gordon deal.

Tobias would not make Hennigan look like a sucker that so foolish, Harris is just a talented player a future NBA All-Star.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#108 » by Neon1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:46 am

Statistically speaking, Tobias produces at 85% of what Vucevic does. 85% of the Vucevic's 4yr 54 million (13.5 per)dollar deal is 4yrs 45.9 million. (11.48per).

I know it doesn't work like this and is not this black and white, but hey, just food for thought as far as what is production based fair (statistically speaking).
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#109 » by mojosodope » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Neon1 wrote:Statistically speaking, Tobias produces at 85% of what Vucevic does. 85% of the Vucevic's 4yr 54 million (13.5 per)dollar deal is 4yrs 45.9 million. (11.48per).

I know it doesn't work like this and is not this black and white, but hey, just food for thought as far as what is production based fair (statistically speaking).

Interesting perspective but let me ask you this. Do you not think that Tobias playing at a more crowded position contributes to his production? Compared to Vuc who essentially is our only center for the past two years. There has essentially been no one else to fill in his production when he is not playing.
tooler
General Manager

Post#110 » by tooler » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:39 pm

mojosodope wrote:Do you not think that Tobias playing at a more crowded position contributes to his [lesser] production?

That's more reason to play hardball with him. This isn't merely an exercise to find his objective worth in a vacuum and pay that. If we have plenty of forwards, we can afford to start with lowball offers.

Here's the trick. Even though SF is crowded on our team, it's one of the hottest positions in the league right now. Someone is going to pay him big time if he puts up a strong season.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#111 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm

One thing Denton said on the radio the other day is that Ben Gordon has been working with Tobias to help him his outside shot. Interesting nugget.
aka: prorl
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#112 » by mojosodope » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:10 pm

tooler wrote:
mojosodope wrote:Do you not think that Tobias playing at a more crowded position contributes to his [lesser] production?

That's more reason to play hardball with him. This isn't merely an exercise to find his objective worth in a vacuum and pay that. If we have plenty of forwards, we can afford to start with lowball offers.

Here's the trick. Even though SF is crowded on our team, it's one of the hottest positions in the league right now. Someone is going to pay him big time if he puts up a strong season.

But he's really our best option, so he's almost got an equal reason to play hardball as well.

If we are actually trying to win this year, I think we are taking a sizable risk on not paying Harris now and it may come back to bite us.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,021

Post#113 » by Driguez » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 pm

So um, Broussard said Tobes won't sign an extension and that Nike will give him an incentive if he goes to LA, NY or Chicago. Don't know what to make of it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
"We all we got"- SVG
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#114 » by InFlames » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Driguez wrote:So um, Broussard said Tobes won't sign an extension and that Nike will give him an incentive if he goes to LA, NY or Chicago. Don't know what to make of it.

He said that Tobias wouldn't sign one before 10/31.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,021

Post#115 » by Driguez » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 pm

InFlames wrote:
Driguez wrote:So um, Broussard said Tobes won't sign an extension and that Nike will give him an incentive if he goes to LA, NY or Chicago. Don't know what to make of it.

Keep eye on Tobias Harris. Won't sign ext w/Orlando b4 10/31. Restricted FA next summer. Nike deal gives him upgrade if he in LA, NY or CHI

"We all we got"- SVG
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#116 » by OrlandoNed » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:03 pm

tooler wrote:Moving this from the speculation thread to avoid cluttering it up with Tobias talk.

MagicFan101 wrote:I am extremely happy to read that while Vuc just got paid, Orlando and Harris are very far apart on $$$.

Shh.. don't tell anyone, but me too.

Just not sure where he fits on this team long-term with Aaron Gordon, Channing Frye, and Kyle O'Quinn. Trade Frye in 2 years and make him a small ball power forward? Leave Aaron as a backup the next 3 years?

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I might have missed it.

How can you not know where Harris fits? He's a scoring small forward. Harris is the only forward who we can depend on to get his own shot and score effectively. None of the guys you mentioned can do what Harris does for this team.
Magixrok
Junior
And1: 118

Post#117 » by Magixrok » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Driguez wrote:
InFlames wrote:

Keep eye on Tobias Harris. Won't sign ext w/Orlando b4 10/31. Restricted FA next summer. Nike deal gives him upgrade if he in LA, NY or CHI

Tobes wants to be a star and get paid. This sucks. Why even bother giving guys like that a chance if they're just gonna bolt? **** you Tobes and **** you Nike.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#118 » by InFlames » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Driguez wrote:
InFlames wrote:

Oh I gotcha, because he would become restricted if he doesn't sign before 10/31.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#119 » by tiderulz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Magixrok wrote:
Driguez wrote:
InFlames wrote:

Tobes wants to be a star and get paid. This sucks. Why even bother giving guys like that a chance if they're just gonna bolt? **** you Tobes and **** you Nike.

sigh, random tweet you take at face value and turn on a player that has done nothing to warrant it. Not sure why i am surprised.

On different note, would you want a player on your team that doesnt want to be a star? the drive to be a star is how players improve.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,740

Post#120 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:27 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Magixrok wrote:
Driguez wrote:

sigh, random tweet you take at face value and turn on a player that has done nothing to warrant it. Not sure why i am surprised.

On different note, would you want a player on your team that doesnt want to be a star? the drive to be a star is how players improve.

This.

Return to Orlando Magic