ImageImageImageImage

2015 Free Agency

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,516

Re: 2015 Free Agency 

Post#21 » by AddiFB » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:08 am

If Otis was still running the show, this would be his list of yummies:

Carlos Boozer, PF, Los Angeles Lakers (33)
Tyson Chandler, C, Dallas Mavericks (32)
Amar'e Stoudemire, PF, New York Knicks (32)
Anderson Varejao, C, Cleveland Cavaliers (32)
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#22 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:I dont see henny trying to make a big fa signing. Hes never done that before.

He also hasn't had a whole lot of time and significant cap space. This past offseason was the first year he wasn't over or right at the cap. But we were not that high on most free agents destination lists and certainly not the bigger names. Plus it was wiser for us to see what we have in our young talent right now. But in the future that may not be the same. Just because he hasn't done something it doesn't mean he can't do it in the future and you have to look at why he hasn't added big time free agents yet.
albicoach
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#23 » by albicoach » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:13 pm

KD 2016 is fantabasket?
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#24 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:01 pm

albicoach wrote:KD 2016 is fantabasket?

Yeah I don't think we have a good shot at KD but another guy I like for 2016 is Joakim Noah or even Al Horford as I think we might have a better shot at them and with the Florida connection it would be nice. Noah would be a nice presence in the middle as guy that can play really good defense and he showed during Rose's absence that he can score at very good clip too.
albicoach
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#25 » by albicoach » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:00 pm

ralphie9898 wrote:

Yeah I don't think we have a good shot at KD but another guy I like for 2016 is Joakim Noah or even Al Horford as I think we might have a better shot at them and with the Florida connection it would be nice. Noah would be a nice presence in the middle as guy that can play really good defense and he showed during Rose's absence that he can score at very good clip too.

Yes, but I think we need a superstar to become a contender. We have two seasons to show that we are a good young defensive team and to improve our skills. We could sign Noah and KD, in 2016 the cap grow up, and we could have Payton, Oladipo, KD, Gordon/Harris, Hoah and could be a contender.
(sorry for my bad English)
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#26 » by Skin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:23 pm

albicoach wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

Yes, but I think we need a superstar to become a contender. We have two seasons to show that we are a good young defensive team and to improve our skills. We could sign Noah and KD, in 2016 the cap grow up, and we could have Payton, Oladipo, KD, Gordon/Harris, Hoah and could be a contender.

Our Superstars will be born, not bought.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

2015 Free Agency 

Post#27 » by tooler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Please don't bring 2016 fantasies into this thread. I'm really interested to hear what people think our needs will be next offseason.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#28 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 pm

albicoach wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

First off it isn't for sure that we already don't have one or two all-stars on the roster. Maybe the guys we have plus whatever we get in next years draft could yield what we need. It isn't for sure that we need a KD or even a Noah to compete for a title. We have to wait ad see what happens first.

As for Durant, as I said he is going to be tough to get. Yes the cap is looking like it will go up but it may just go up incrementally rather then seeing one big jump. And even if the NBA decides to have one big jump every team will have space to add a max guy like Durant.

There may be a couple teams that by then can't really bid on him but most teams would be able to afford him. There would be much better places to go to like Washington or staying with OKC which would have room to add a big-time player to go with Durant and Westbrook. NY would have room to pair him with Carmelo or Chicago could afford him as well as LA, Houston and many other places as well could offer more alluring destinations along with the new cash. I just don't think that Orlando would be a place he would want to go to even if we offer him a max as we can't force him to take it. This isn't fantasy basketball or the latest NBA video game where you can just pick up players just cause you want them.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#29 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Skin wrote:
albicoach wrote:
ralphie9898 wrote:

Our Superstars will be born, not bought.

Maybe. There is no guarantee that any of the guys we have or will get in future drafts will be superstars or even just all-stars. And yeah Henny came from OKC and San Antonio but those teams had the luck of nabbing players like Durant and Duncan. There is no guarantee that we will get that through the draft. Henny is a smart guy and if you can build just through the draft then yeah that is ideal. But that may not happen for us and if we want to achieve our goal then we might have to pursue a free agent. You can't just close that option off as if it won't happen. You have to consider all the options you got at your disposal and make the best decision possible.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#30 » by ralphie9898 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:28 pm

tooler wrote:Please don't bring 2016 fantasies into this thread. I'm really interested to hear what people think our needs will be next offseason.

Uh we do have the right and part of what we are saying is that maybe 2015 free agency isn't where we want to spend our money. I think we have to have an eye on more than just 2015. It helps get a total picture of whats out there rather than focusing just on what is available next summer.
gumbyr24
Senior
And1: 443

Post#31 » by gumbyr24 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:15 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
gumbyr24 wrote:Wouldn't mind Knight as a backup..
He would play well with the rest of our guards.
Great spot up shooting potential, hard worker
at both ends of the floor.
If Fournier shows to be an above average playmaker,
him and knight could work very well with the second unit

But would he want to come off the bench?? He starts for the Bucks and is 22, he may not want to come off the bench. Patrick Beverley and Reggie Jackson might be more attainable in the backup PG role.

I can't see him starting on a good team, unless its Houston, only because he fits so perfectly next to Harden.
He's not a good enough facilitator to start at pg.. He's to short to start at sg.. I envision him Lou Williams lite,
or rich man Mario Chalmers lite.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#32 » by No-Man » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 am

First of all, I see the Magic having another losing season ending up with a top7 pick for sure.

If thats the case, the most likely pick is going to be either a SF or a PF/C, just looking at the prospects.

I think Harris, Gordon play better as PFs, and Frye is clearly one, plus Harris is a RFA, same with Vucevic, so, If you think you are going to struggle to retain one, most likely Harris, due to overlaping, much of this depends onthis season and how Tobias plays, you should probably go for a SF.

I see Orlando being better, a little bit, than last year so I am not going to project a top5 pick, that leaves you with more likely a guy like Mario Hezonja, at this point, or Kelly Oubre.

Just saying that you use one of your 2nd round pick in a draft&stash prospects and the other in a back-up PG, many options in the 2nd round next season there, and continue with both Harris (around 8m$/y), O'Quinn (around 3-4m$/y) and Vucevic (around 11m$/y) that leaves you with, 55.5m$ in this guys,

Payton-pick2nd round
Oladipo-Fournier-Marble
Harris-Harkless-pick6
Frye-Gordon-Nicholson
Vucevic-O'Quinn

I can easily see Henningan, waiting on the FA, keeping BGordon if he plays the good locker room vet role, and that will mean you are looking at already, 60.5m$, with the cap projected at 66.5, that leaves you with 6m$ to maybe bring in a back-up PG and a back-up Center.

Of Course if you can bring a top notch FA you dont retain many of those guys and go for that, but who is going to sign with Orlando next summer? seriously? I just cant see it right now.

Some guys I'd like Henningam to pursue if I were a Orlando fan,

Biyombo
Dellavedova
Singler
Draymond Green
Calathes
Norris Cole
Brandon Knight
Khris Middleton
Glenn Robinson III
Jeff Withey
Ajinca
Fredette
Reggie Jackson (If Payton doesnt pan out)
Freeland
Cory Joseph
Kanter (if Vucevic leaves)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#33 » by tiderulz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Fischella wrote:Some guys I'd like Henningam to pursue if I were a Orlando fan,

Biyombo
Dellavedova
Singler
Draymond Green
Calathes
Norris Cole
Brandon Knight
Khris Middleton
Glenn Robinson III
Jeff Withey
Ajinca
Fredette
Freeland
Cory Joseph

Can actually say that I wouldn't want anyone on your list. OQuinn already gives us the front court presence that any of the bigs on that list could do. And with Dipo/Harris/Harkless/Fournier/Marble (projected, he has looked great) i cant say that i would expend much for any of the wings on that list either.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#34 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Fischella wrote:First of all, I see the Magic having another losing season ending up with a top7 pick for sure.

If thats the case, the most likely pick is going to be either a SF or a PF/C, just looking at the prospects.

I think Harris, Gordon play better as PFs, and Frye is clearly one, plus Harris is a RFA, same with Vucevic, so, If you think you are going to struggle to retain one, most likely Harris, due to overlaping, much of this depends onthis season and how Tobias plays, you should probably go for a SF.

I see Orlando being better, a little bit, than last year so I am not going to project a top5 pick, that leaves you with more likely a guy like Mario Hezonja, at this point, or Kelly Oubre.

Just saying that you use one of your 2nd round pick in a draft&stash prospects and the other in a back-up PG, many options in the 2nd round next season there, and continue with both Harris (around 8m$/y), O'Quinn (around 3-4m$/y) and Vucevic (around 11m$/y) that leaves you with, 55.5m$ in this guys,

Payton-pick2nd round
Oladipo-Fournier-Marble
Harris-Harkless-pick6
Frye-Gordon-Nicholson
Vucevic-O'Quinn

I can easily see Henningan, waiting on the FA, keeping BGordon if he plays the good locker room vet role, and that will mean you are looking at already, 60.5m$, with the cap projected at 66.5, that leaves you with 6m$ to maybe bring in a back-up PG and a back-up Center.

Of Course if you can bring a top notch FA you dont retain many of those guys and go for that, but who is going to sign with Orlando next summer? seriously? I just cant see it right now.

Biyombo
Dellavedova
Singler
Draymond Green
Calathes
Norris Cole
Brandon Knight
Khris Middleton
Glenn Robinson III
Jeff Withey
Ajinca
Fredette
Freeland
Cory Joseph

First of all, :sleep:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#35 » by Skin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Fischella wrote:First of all, I see the Magic having another losing season ending up with a top7 pick for sure.

Payton-pick2nd round
Oladipo-Fournier-Marble
Harris-Harkless-pick6
Frye-Gordon-Nicholson
Vucevic-O'Quinn

Biyombo
Dellavedova
Singler
Draymond Green
Calathes
Norris Cole
Brandon Knight
Khris Middleton
Glenn Robinson III
Jeff Withey
Ajinca
Fredette
Freeland
Cory Joseph

Are you Fran Fischella? The real one?

In either case, I've always respected your posts. I will follow your suggestion that we will be picking in the Top 7, even if I have hopes that won't be the case.

The Magic will highly likely retain both Harris and Vucevic. I think Harris will end up costing a lot more than that $8M figure you posted. Based on the recent contracts that have been handed out around the NBA, I think that amount would be a steal. Vucevic will also likely command the max. Even if you didn't think they warrant it, wouldn't you agree that they could get more than you're estimating?

I'm glad you noticed the redundancy in our position strength. However, I believe that is by design. Instead of it being reason to get rid of one (as you suggested with Harris - too many PFs), it is rather a byproduct of design. For one it lessens the blow in the case of an injury. Two, we have many position versatile players. But more importantly, if you look at the collection of players that we have, even though we have redundant depth at a postion, we do not neccessarily have redundant talent. We have 4 options at PF. Harris, Gordon, Frye and O'Quinn. But each possess a different style of play. Harris and Gordon are currently tweeners. Gordon is still growing so the future is still a mystery there. Frye is a stretch 4 and KOQ would be your more typical banger. What it does is give flexibility to Coach Vaughn to create match up problems or counter them. This is what the Spurs do successfully. They can play any style of basketball with their unique mixture of talents. Half-court, fast pace, stretch 4, 3D SF, or point forward, twin towers, small ball, etc etc... whatever the circumstance, they have the ability to match up or dictate the style of play and tempo of the game.

I think the Magic are getting there, but not there yet. So when I look at the draft, I'm not really looking at one specific position. I'm looking for an element in a player that can allow us to enhance our capability to open up our playbook. Hennigan appears to be doing something along those lines. Going into this offseason, we had glaring weaknesses. We needed more ball handlers, more outside shooting and more defense. Hennigan smashed it. Ball handlers/playmakers? Payton, Ridnour, Fournier, A. Gordon. Shooters? Fournier, B. Gordon, Frye. Defense? Payton and AG are our hopes there. But there's always more to do.

I think in next year's draft we need to be looking for more post interior defense. A guy like Willie Cauley-Stein would be an attractive option. Team oriented player who doesn't mind the dirty work. Grabbing boards, blocking shots, scrappy put backs. Kristaps Porzingis is a player who's stock is rising. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Myles Turner and am excited to see what becomes of him.

We could look many directions, but at this point I think we're looking for a complimentary fit more than replacement/upgrade.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicMatty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#36 » by MagicMatty » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I just see what we have been doing the past off-seasons is what we are going to do again next off-season. Our core for the future is probably at 85% maybe a little tweaking will be made but as that core develops we will just keep bringing in Veteran back-up players to teach the young guys even more. But I think Payton/Dipo/Tobias/AG is our future

Return to Orlando Magic