ImageImageImageImage

Which Third Year Player Has The Most To Prove?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Who Has The Most To Prove?

Maurice Harkless
61%
Andrew Nicholson
25%
Evan Fournier
8%
Kyle O'Quinn
6%

Total votes: 36

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Re: Which Third Year Player Has The Most To Prove? 

Post#21 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Writing is on the wall for AN this year I think. Huge year for him.
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#22 » by Malik Starks » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I voted Nicholson but the more I think about it it's actually Harkless.

Nicholson doesn't have a huge ceiling, but even if he stops improving right now he can play significant minutes as a stretch four on some team in the league. He's at worst a utility guy that could have a long career. The fact the Vaughn has not found a role for him is one the first indictments against him as a coach in my opinion.

Hark on the other hand has a much higher ceiling but has not actually figured out who he is as a player. He's still only 21, so it's not far from a crisis situation. The problem for him though is he may not get enough minutes this year to grow like he should.

So basically Nicholson is who he is, regardless of whether he gets minutes or not. Harkless needs the minutes to grow as a player and with the possible log jam now at the three (considering the Magic look like they want to play Gordon there a bit) I think he might become frustrated with lack of playing time.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#23 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:15 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:I think Moe will be moved at some point if any player on this team is moved.

And I think it will be Drew.

It really is a tossup, but I feel Moe cuz of Aaron to backup Harris while Moe probably feels he should be a starter somewhere. Nicholson seems to buy into the fact that he is a backup big in the NBA.

Will be interesting to see who is righ tho!

But I see Aaron as our starting PF down the road, not the backup to Harris. Harkless is/would be the backup to Harris.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#24 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

And I think it will be Drew.

It really is a tossup, but I feel Moe cuz of Aaron to backup Harris while Moe probably feels he should be a starter somewhere. Nicholson seems to buy into the fact that he is a backup big in the NBA.

Will be interesting to see who is righ tho!

But I see Aaron as our starting PF down the road, not the backup to Harris. Harkless is/would be the backup to Harris.

I agree. I was talking more this year, hahaha.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#25 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Both AN and moe will stay on the team for at least the next two years.

no reason? just that they will? What if Henny drafts a player like Kyle in the 2nd round next year? does he not stay with the team because AN is still here? even though he could do or offer more?

You cant just drop players if theryre not overly impressive. Harkless and AN havent been great but we still need them for depth. We cant just lose players and oquinn isnt going anywhere. Thats just laughable.

We may not need as many draft picks in the future as they become superfluous now that we basically have our primary pieces in place. We may draft some players but we will not be hoarding draft picks anymore.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#26 » by tooler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Malik Starks wrote:Harkless needs the minutes to grow as a player and with the possible log jam now at the three (considering the Magic look like they want to play Gordon there a bit) I think he might become frustrated with lack of playing time.

My new crazy theory based on recent comments by Jacques Vaughn is they will try to rotate the backups to keep everyone fresh and ready to run. So maybe one night Gordon gets 30 minutes and Harkless is DNP, the next night is vice versa. This seems stupid when I type it out but we'll see what they do.

Only other way I see for Harkless to get minutes is if they start him and bring Tobias off the bench as small ball PF, but that would cause a riot.
orlgbfsu
Starter
And1: 540

Post#27 » by orlgbfsu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 pm

tooler wrote:
Malik Starks wrote:Harkless needs the minutes to grow as a player and with the possible log jam now at the three (considering the Magic look like they want to play Gordon there a bit) I think he might become frustrated with lack of playing time.

My new crazy theory based on recent comments by Jacques Vaughn is they will try to rotate the backups to keep everyone fresh and ready to run. So maybe one night Gordon gets 30 minutes and Harkless is DNP, the next night is vice versa. This seems stupid when I type it out but we'll see what they do.

Only other way I see for Harkless to get minutes is if they start him and bring Tobias off the bench as small ball PF, but that would cause a riot.
this too is what I believe will happen even before Jacque's comments. Almost the whole team deserves minutes, but can't have a 13 deep rotation
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#28 » by tiderulz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Both AN and moe will stay on the team for at least the next two years.

no reason? just that they will? What if Henny drafts a player like Kyle in the 2nd round next year? does he not stay with the team because AN is still here? even though he could do or offer more?

You cant just drop players if theryre not overly impressive. Harkless and AN havent been great but we still need them for depth. We cant just lose players and oquinn isnt going anywhere. Thats just laughable.

We may not need as many draft picks in the future as they become superfluous now that we basically have our primary pieces in place. We may draft some players but we will not be hoarding draft picks anymore.

you didnt read that right. What if Henny drafts a player with similar ability as a late 1st or 2nd round steal that can really ball. Does he let him go just to keep Nicholson?

You have your opinion, i have mine.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#29 » by Hilltop » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:48 am

Both have a lot to prove but I'm a lot more intrigued by Nicholson. I really believe that he can be a valuable rotation player if given a fair shake.

Hark has been given plenty of opportunities and he has been pretty unremarkable (and unproductive) thus far. Not writing him off but I personally don't think his ceiling is as high as some people here might think.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#30 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:28 am

tiderulz wrote:
you didnt read that right. What if Henny drafts a player with similar ability as a late 1st or 2nd round steal that can really ball. Does he let him go just to keep Nicholson?

You have your opinion, i have mine.

and you obviously didnt read me right

We can potentially keep nicholson and the draft if it comes to it but we should cross that bridge when we get there.

Right now we appear to have our team of the future and we will eventually not need so many draft picks.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#31 » by Bensational » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:56 am

I think Hark has more weighing on him because he needs to show what level of player he can be. Is he a 3 and D guy? How good? Can he show more?

Nicholson, on the other hand, is like Carl Landry. He's instant offense, but at the expense of good defense. If we let him go, I could see the Thunder, Spurs and Mavs all giving him a serious look.

AN is the kind of guy you have to plan a lineup around. He's not a complimentary guy, he's a focal point. Problem is he hasn't shown enough consistency on that front to warrant that kind of commitment.

I reckon a team could take our 'scraps' and form a pretty competitive team.

O'Quinn
Nicholson
Harkless
Fournier
Insert FA

You'd need a quality PG, like Payton, to really pull that squad together though.

That's still a losing team, but it would be interesting to see what you could get out of Nicholson as your featured scorer (Al Jefferson 2.0?), and if Hark and Fournier could sustain good D for 36 minutes a game.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#32 » by Neon1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:43 am

Bensational wrote:

O'Quinn
Nicholson
Harkless
Fournier
Insert FA

You'd need a quality PG, like Payton, to really pull that squad together though.

That's still a losing team, but it would be interesting to see what you could get out of Nicholson as your featured scorer (Al Jefferson 2.0?), and if Hark and Fournier could sustain good D for 36 minutes a game.

That lineup with Payton or anybody else would be lucky to win 12-15 games all year.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#33 » by tooler » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:49 am

Neon1 wrote:That lineup with Payton or anybody else would be lucky to win 12-15 games all year.

Hey, that's at least two more NBA rotation players than the 76ers will start this year!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#34 » by drsd » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:27 am

For me it easily: all of the above. All of Orlando's youngsters must grow for this team to improve to mediocre. And that seems to be the target for the year. If only one 3rd year guy improves, the team will be bad.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#35 » by Bensational » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:41 am

Neon1 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

O'Quinn
Nicholson
Harkless
Fournier
Insert FA

That lineup with Payton or anybody else would be lucky to win 12-15 games all year.

I think there is a lot of quality buried on benches, and I reckon that in a full season of starting, you'd see AN, Kyle and most likely Fournier rise to the top on that team and establish that they could succeed as starters. Oh, and Payton too, if he's in there.

OKC's bench makes me drool.

Adams
PJ3
Roberson
Lamb
Jackson

THAT would be a solid team.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#36 » by darthcheech2000 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:52 pm

It makes me soooo happy to have these problems.

Moe def has the most to prove based off imagined potential

AN has the same problem to a lesser extent

Fournier even less

and O'Quinn could father some of you guys first children and you'd still love him. 1/8 a denier = ALLSTAR per 36 numbers = go ahead, i wont stop you my lord. PRIMA NOCTA!
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#37 » by Flannerz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:52 pm

I'd say Harkless has most to prove due to potential and that he'll probably geta lot more minutes than AN to try and prove himself
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#38 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:06 pm

I think Bum Garbage has the most to prove being he already swindled teams out of $60 million and somehow sold another $4.5 mil. 8-)

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#39 » by Neon1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Bensational wrote:
OKC's bench makes me drool.

Adams
PJ3
Roberson
Lamb
Jackson

THAT would be a solid team.

Not to keep being contrary, but I highly doubt that team would be any more successful then the other. 12-15 wins tops.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#40 » by Malik Starks » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:50 pm

tooler wrote:

Yea I agree except I think the Magic are going to try to have their cake and eat it too. Try to play about 12 guys per game and run teams off the floor by basically fielding an army.

This way they have a clear strategy to win, but can still develop players to some degree. In that scenario I don't think you will see very many DNPs, but guys still may not get the minutes they really need.

Return to Orlando Magic