ImageImageImageImage

Who should start next to Oladipo?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Pick our second guard

Poll ended at Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Payton
75%
Fournier
12%
B. Gordon
5%
Ridnour
2%
Green
1%
Harkless
No votes
O'Quinn
4%
Marble
1%

Total votes: 84

Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Re: Who should start next to Oladipo? 

Post#21 » by Viper1500 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 am

Payton, but he really needs to learn to shoot.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,328

Post#22 » by tooler » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 am

Def Swami wrote:Not sure if we did a poll before pre-season/training camp, but I get the sense that more of us expected Fournier to start with Oladipo in the more immediate future (I was one of those).

I made the previous poll link in the first post extra obvious now.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,342

Post#23 » by SOUL » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05 am

He doesn't NEED to although it would be nice of course. Oladipo is the one that needs to learn how to shoot (not that he's terrible at it) - but he already shot a lot last year and is way further along than Elfrid in that department anyway. Then he can carry us to the promise land :0
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,880

Post#24 » by drsd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 am

As Orlando looks to lose 60%+++ of their first 20 games because of the underlying schedule, I am starting to think that Payton should just be thrown out there to see how he responds to the inevitable losses. Does he work harder to get better or sulk? Orlando can learn a great deal about his physiological mind set.

To Payton is my vote now.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,028

Post#25 » by dsg2021 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 am

Fournier with Frye makes things very dangerous. And Fournier knows how to give it up quickly, passing around very well. This is better when you're a 3 point threat than not.

There's too much lineup upside to,

Oladipo / Fournier / Harris / Frye / Vucevic

Payton will probably take another step forward in the season and push into the starting lineup but we need to see how that works in a 5 man lineup.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,229

Post#26 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

dsg2021 wrote:Fournier with Frye makes things very dangerous. And Fournier knows how to give it up quickly, passing around very well. This is better when you're a 3 point threat than not.

Payton will probably take another step forward in the season and push into the starting lineup but we need to see how that works in a 5 man lineup.
yeah I agree with you on this one. Imo this line up makes the most sense if we're trying to win now.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#27 » by OrlDave » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Payton in July, Payton today. He is what this team needs. Don't have a bevy of shooters? With Payton and our emphasis on pushing the ball we'll be scoring at the basket so often it won't matter. Unless you are named Dedmon... then you won't even score at the basket.
vagnermagic
Senior
And1: 108

Post#28 » by vagnermagic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

I'd go with Payton. But I'd understand if Fournier starts.

But since Payton looks like our future PG for a long term, I'd just give him the chance to start from day one.
Vamo, Magic!
Brazilian Magic fan
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#29 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Going to be either Fournier or Payton. I only caught the 2nd half of practice yesterday, Fournier was the main PG. I'd lean towards him at the moment.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,963

Post#30 » by KillMonger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Not so sure Payton is all the way ready to be thrown in the fire just yet especially seeing how he's looked lately when there has been pressure on him. Having him off the bench isn't so bad people, besides it's not really about who starts the game it's more who finishes and i can see payton in the game at the end especially when accurate passing and execution becomes paramount.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#31 » by NBlue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm going to swim against the tide here and pick Fournier -- at least to start the season.

Let's be clear, I love Payton -- love, love, love. However, I am very sensitive to ensuring he be placed in a situation where he can best succeed and gain confidence. Plus, I want to ensure that our subs make sense.

To me, the obvious rotation would be to start Evan and than bring in E for him as the first sub off the bench somewhere near the 6 minute mark depending on how things are going. Dipo stays in and shifts over to the 2, of course. That allows E to play more against backups and also does not put quite so much pressure on him from the jump. I believe he will be starting by the ASG if not sooner but I'd prefer to see him coming off the bench in order to give him the best chance to succeed to start.

Also, I'd like to note its way less important who starts the games than who finishes them.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#32 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Unless VO gets in one of these next games, I think it will be Payton and Evan starting.....
cb1115
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#33 » by cb1115 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm

OrlandO wrote:Image

dude did a 360 windmill while wearing a knee brace the size of Muggsy Bogues Image
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#34 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 pm

I Love Payton too. Wouldn't mind if he gets the nod to start, but I'm on board for Evan to start with VO with the threat of long range shooting and playmaking. Payton can learn the ropes and make a serious push to start by midseason. You don't want Payton hitting his rookie wall too early so just like they did Dipo last year, manage him that way.
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,112

Post#35 » by eyriq » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm aiming to win this year and favor the best pairing possible and considering Evan Fournier Real Plus Minus I vote for him to start with Oladipo. Also, I'm still in the camp that thinks that Oladipo the PG is optimal. Oladipo|Fournier|Harris|Frye|Vucevic is a pretty good starting lineup I believe.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#36 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:43 pm

eyriq wrote:I'm aiming to win this year and favor the best pairing possible and considering Evan Fournier Real Plus Minus I vote for him to start with Oladipo. Also, I'm still in the camp that thinks that Oladipo the PG is optimal. Oladipo|Fournier|Harris|Frye|Vucevic is a pretty good starting lineup I believe.

Id be interested in hearing your justification for oladipo playing pg.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,112

Post#37 » by eyriq » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
eyriq wrote:I'm aiming to win this year and favor the best pairing possible and considering Evan Fournier Real Plus Minus I vote for him to start with Oladipo. Also, I'm still in the camp that thinks that Oladipo the PG is optimal. Oladipo|Fournier|Harris|Frye|Vucevic is a pretty good starting lineup I believe.

Id be interested in hearing your justification for oladipo playing pg.

I like his size and athleticism for the position and his ability to guard it. He would be the biggest pg in the league I believe? And one the most athletic. Just more probable that he becomes a superstar pg than SG. Also, I think the experiment went OK last year and would like to see it continue.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,328

Post#38 » by tooler » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 pm

eyriq wrote:Also, I think the experiment went OK last year and would like to see it continue.

Regardless, I think it would look totally different. I don't think any of our point guards are going to hold the ball for 20 seconds like they did last season. That's why I think a two shooting guard lineup could work.

I'm waffling again but I still want to throw Payton into the deep end.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,362

Post#39 » by Bensational » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:Fournier with Frye makes things very dangerous. And Fournier knows how to give it up quickly, passing around very well. This is better when you're a 3 point threat than not.

yeah I agree with you on this one. Imo this line up makes the most sense if we're trying to win now.

start or not, i don't think it matters as long as lineups are balanced. i definitely want to see this lineup get plenty of action, however I think a lot of plays will break down to simply being Dipo/Frye pick n pops, or Harris and Vuc ISOs.

Payton, on the other hand, will create movement and find guys open for better looks. he could start the pick and pop with Frye, but then he's more likely/capable to take it into the paint and offload to Vuc for a high % shot, too.

we've certainly got options with this squad. we can come at a team a whole variety of ways. gonna love watching this season.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#40 » by damo[23] » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Some good points, but I think its going to be Payton. He's looking really solid in the preseason and obviously we have the focus on him as a team, so as long as the coaching staff deem him ready, which I think they will, he'll get the nod.

If he was weak on D or a liability there, then there might be a different case, but given he's good on both sides of the court, just get him in and get the reps going.

Return to Orlando Magic