ImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magician4ever
Junior
And1: 211

Re: 2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker 

Post#201 » by magician4ever » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Big Boss wrote:Im coming around on WCS, i'm intrigued.......perfect fit next to Vuc, hard for me to choose between what i think we really need. Having that defensive anchor is crucial but i can see how a wing could be important too, especially one that is an explosive scorer that can get to the line consistently.

Finally!! Thank you :D Aside from being a defensive anchor and rim protector, he has a lot of intangibles that play well to the culture we're trying to bring to this team. Team player, pass-first kinda guy. As you said before, as a rim protector, Dedmon could potentially fill that role, but unfortunately JV deactivated him tonight :x poor guy doesn't seem to be getting any minutes.
magician4ever
Junior

Post#202 » by magician4ever » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:01 pm

We have a few options we could do this draft.

D'Angelo Russell: Ginobili/Brandon Roy kinda guy who would provide us depth at the guard position. I don't really see a log jam here. If we have Elf starting and Russ coming off the bench, he racks up easy points against opposing teams' second units.

Stanley Johnson: This guy is great if we decide to let Tobias walk. Has the potential to not only be a lockdown NBA defender, but also a volume scorer as well. People compare him to a Ron Artest in his prime.

Willie Cauley-Stein: This guy is my favorite player in the draft for the Magic. Rim protecting, shot altering and athletic big who seems like he can ignite the defense this team was already touted to have. Kid is a great locker room presence, has improved every year, great work ethic, team player. His skill set fit the Magic's needs, and his intangibles match with our culture.

If we try to make a push for the playoffs and either make it or fall short, snagging a mid-to-late lottery pick/mid-first rounder, here are the players I like:

Terry Rozier: If we want a backup for Elf and miss out on Russ, this is our guy. Explosive athlete with defensive tenacity who happens to be a volume scorer as well. The only real problem he has is his shot selection, which can be resolved as he matures. Draws comparisons to Trey Burke and EBledsoe.

Kelly Oubre: A Rudy Gay who passes more and has defensive upside. Nice mid-to-late option if we choose to part ways with Tobias.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#203 » by thelead » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:55 pm

WCS has a lot of positives but the guy is almost useless on the offensive side of the ball. I would only be looking at him if we're in the 8-12 range.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#204 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Need to find an athletic, high IQ, shot blocker with strong enough work ethic to add a perimeter shot in 3 yrs. Think O'Quinn with Dedmon's athleticism.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#205 » by Magic#1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Need to find an athletic, high IQ, shot blocker with strong enough work ethic to add a perimeter shot in 3 yrs. Think O'Quinn with Dedmon's athleticism.

Not sure about high IQ, but that may be Turner who happens to be on CBS right now playing against Cliff Alexander.
magician4ever
Junior

Post#206 » by magician4ever » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Need to find an athletic, high IQ, shot blocker with strong enough work ethic to add a perimeter shot in 3 yrs. Think O'Quinn with Dedmon's athleticism.

This description matches my assessment of WCS two posts above yours, nearly verbatim haha. His offensive ability has improved from last season, and will continue to do so.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#207 » by InFlames » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Porzingis
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#208 » by No-Man » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:14 pm

I got Orlando picking Porzingis right now, ahead of the wings (Winslow, Johnson, Hezonja, Oubre), and Myles Turner, WCS or Trey Lyles.

Porzingis allows you to put Aaron Gordon at the SF, and think about what to do with Tobias, if Harris is brought back, you can still give time to develop Porzingis, because he needs some too.
A potential Payton-Oladipo-Gordon-Porzingis-Vucevic line up could be sick, Porzingis length, ability to shot, agility and defense, shot blocking, is what you need.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#209 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:23 pm

If management truly feels shoring up the defense is a priority then I can see us taking WCS however I don't see what he gives us that dedmon doesnt.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#210 » by Magic#1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:58 pm

Fischella wrote:I got Orlando picking Porzingis right now, ahead of the wings (Winslow, Johnson, Hezonja, Oubre), and Myles Turner, WCS or Trey Lyles.

Porzingis allows you to put Aaron Gordon at the SF, and think about what to do with Tobias, if Harris is brought back, you can still give time to develop Porzingis, because he needs some too.
A potential Payton-Oladipo-Gordon-Porzingis-Vucevic line up could be sick, Porzingis length, ability to shot, agility and defense, shot blocking, is what you need.

I really like Porzingis for us too for all the reasons you said. Versatile player. Versatile skills. He would fit well in a running system and still has great defensive potential.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#211 » by InFlames » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:15 pm

I just feel like Porzingis is perfect for us, and his ceiling is sky high.....one of the youngest players in the draft.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#212 » by Def Swami » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Magic#1 wrote:

Not sure about high IQ, but that may be Turner who happens to be on CBS right now playing against Cliff Alexander.

By all accounts, he's a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders. Doesn't necessarily mean he has great basketball IQ (who does at 18?) but he meets the intangible/character traits I'd find desirable.

Guys like Cliff Alexander and Willie-Cauley Stein are great defenders and hustle guys, but haven't really shown a propensity to do anything on offense besides finish close to the rim. WCS is a junior and has never showed that kind of growth. There's nothing wrong with those kinds of players, but if we're rolling with wings who aren't necessarily knock-down shooters (Payton, Oladipo, Gordon, Harris), then having a 4 who can stretch the floor to at least 20 feet would be ideal. Myles Turner, Karl Towns (hasn't shown it this year, but did so in high school and with his national team), and Kristaps Porzingis fit the bill.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#213 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 pm

As we ourselves saw this past summer by falling to the #4 pick, there are no guarantees in positioning for the draft.

However, just for the sake of speaking on the future on a positive note...

I still like the idea of matching Harris and using our top pick on one of the high profile big men at the top of the draft. But the more and more I watch Stanley Johnson, the more and more I believe he is the safest bet not named Okafor and the more and more I feel he is the "Henny-guy" we would target. So if that is the case, I can't help but wonder...

What if Orlando traded Tobias Harris in a package which included a pick likely to fall in the late lottery or just outside the lottery? Orlando could then potentially grab Stanley Johnson as Paul George type of guy with their own pick as well as a WCS later in the draft.

Before people cry about having an entire roster of kids, we then wouldn't have to worry about matching Harris. Instead we have even more $$$$ to attack free agency for quality vets (not 1 year fillers like Ridnour) to add depth and leadership.

The more I look at the big names in free agency the more I suspect we aren't going to grab a big contract person. Instead we are going to grab a few mid size contract guys who aren't yet household names.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#214 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:

By all accounts, he's a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders. Doesn't necessarily mean he has great basketball IQ (who does at 18?) but he meets the intangible/character traits I'd find desirable.

Aaron Gordon?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#215 » by Def Swami » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:Not sure about high IQ, but that may be Turner who happens to be on CBS right now playing against Cliff Alexander.

Aaron Gordon?

I'd like to think that Gordon is the exception to the trend. Good thing we drafted him. :wink:
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#216 » by No-Man » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:50 pm

I dont see Stanley Johnson in Orlando, with Oladipo, with Gordon and with Payton, if it were Justise Winslow, who is more of a team player that has a cleaner off the ball game, then yes, if you see Gordon as a PF, I understand taking Justise over Porzingis.
If not, is just Porzingis, unless someone falls, I have Okafor, Mudiay, Russell and Towns gone at 5 overall.

That means Porzingis or Winslow to me, maybe even Hezonja, but I will never pick Stanley Johnson for the Magic, and I like him a lot.
Turner might have a shot too, although his physique is too risky to me for a top5 pick.
JaxMagic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 325

Post#217 » by JaxMagic » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:54 pm

It'd be perfect if Orlando could find that perfect PF (big who can spread the floor and block shots) to put next to Vuc. My top three right now would be:

1) Towns
2) Porzingis
3) Turner

I see Towns being a Rasheed Wallace type player (without the attitude), Porzingis being a Kirilenko type, and Turner a Aldridge type. Porzingis would probably be the best fit but those Euro bigs tend to scare me.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#218 » by MoMM » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

JaxMagic wrote:Porzingis would probably be the best fit but those Euro bigs tend to scare me.

Why?

ChiefWiggumz
Senior
And1: 172

Post#219 » by ChiefWiggumz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Porzingis looks great. I just do not want to draft and stash a player. I feel like our roster is one piece away from making the playoffs, and staying there for a good period of time.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#220 » by Truth24 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 pm

I think how we draft really depends on if we let Tobias go and if we feel AG is truly a 3 or a 4. So if we let Tobias go and think AG is our future 3, that's when we will see WCS, Porzingis, KAT, or Turner. Yet if we feel AG is the 4 of the future that's when I see us going with Winslow, Johnson, Oubre, and possibly Hezonja. My favorite wing Prospect by far is Johnson that kid is just destined to be a good player on the next level. Although I wouldn't be upset one bit if we went with a Winslow, Oubre, or Hezonja because they all have solid qualities that they would bring to the team. If we could get Johnson or Kat our team would be some much better because of those two.

Return to Orlando Magic